CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Another C7 Accident (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3315329-another-c7-accident.html)

Gearhead Jim 08-02-2013 01:54 PM

Stuff happens.
At Dave Hill's retirement party, they mentioned that he was the first person to crash a C6. And the second.
:D

sam90lx 08-02-2013 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by LMB-C6 (Post 1584563897)
It must have rear tail light airbags to protect the soon to be rare Camaro tail lights.

:lol::lol::lol:

sam90lx 08-02-2013 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by StingRaycer (Post 1584567389)
Chill Bill I have a C7 ordered in the 2nd consensus -
that post was sarcasm aimed at the whiners and haters -
sorry if it didn't work.

I got it!:thumbs:

FloydSummerOf68 08-02-2013 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sleestak (Post 1584560077)
That's what the MFer gets for not waving.

Laughed out loud

Bill17601 08-02-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by StingRaycer (Post 1584567389)
Chill Bill I have a C7 ordered in the 2nd consensus -
that post was sarcasm aimed at the whiners and haters -
sorry if it didn't work.

My bad..however sarcasm does not work well in print. I found that out when I did it and caught hell just like I gave you.. You almost need to say it is at the bottom.

( not sarcasm )

Bill17601 08-02-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584568491)
I got it!:thumbs:

No wonder you got it. It was aimed at whiners and haters..

StingRaycer 08-02-2013 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1584568564)
My bad..however sarcasm does not work well in print. I found that out when I did it and caught hell just like I gave you.. You almost need to say it is at the bottom.

( not sarcasm )

:thumbs: Got it

Crossed Flags Fan 08-02-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by lawdogg149 (Post 1584557562)
Photo shopped. Street sign blurred also look over the left rear corner. The guys pants leg isn't grey from the knee down?

If you look down the road, you'll see a grassy knoll. Puff of smoke coming from there. Maybe its from the misslle launcher used to bring down TWA flight 800. I bet it was used by Ford to hit the Vette's pasenger door and make Government Motors look bad? Huh?
And wait - in the second picture of the original post, reflected in the back window of the the blue Vette if you squint, you'll see a UFO heading towards "Area 51" with a banner that says "Paul is dead" !!!!!

boraxman 08-02-2013 04:17 PM

Guess thats one way to get a closer look at the C7

sam90lx 08-02-2013 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1584568573)
No wonder you got it. It was aimed at whiners and haters..

:D:DHave a Beer.....or 10.

JoesC5 08-02-2013 04:50 PM

Looks like the guy in the Lincoln is not an old fart. GM said it was wanting the C7 to attract the youngsters...and it looks like it did....right up to the impact.

Joni Lynn 08-02-2013 05:00 PM

If it had enough Zaino on it the Lincoln would have slid right off of it.

Wildmanht 08-02-2013 05:02 PM

Wonder if the guy spilled his Slurpy.

RJRSW 08-02-2013 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by JustinStrife (Post 1584563875)
I'm no expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once. That Corvette took the impact damn well.

I found out how well a vette can take a hit on Xmas eve 1980. I was hit in the left rear of my 3 month old 81 vette by a Datsun 280Z that was racing another car and lost control and hit me, he admitted that he was doing around 80 when he hit me, I was doing around 40 inside a tunnel near the art museum in downtown Minneapolis and never saw it coming. Turned my vette to the right when he hit me and I darn near hit the tunnel wall before I caught it. The Datsun had the right front fender and passenger door torn off and had to be towed. I drove the vette home.

The top one I took the day I picked it up and the bottom is a photo I took on Xmas morning.

http://home.comcast.net/~rjrsw2012/p...orvette001.jpg

agapsdiver 08-02-2013 07:25 PM

I've seen pics of the al. body frame...wonder what the
frame of the door looks like. must be pretty hefty and
locks into the body frame well.

tubesteak 08-02-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 (Post 1584555111)
If it had the agility of the z51 package that wouldn't have happened..

JK :D

AMEN !!!
:cheers:

thirtythird 08-02-2013 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584555465)
Looks to me that the impact did not penetrate the inner wall.

I think the other car got the worst of it!

Yeah, Lincoln repair bill ~ $4000, C7 repair bill ~ 12000+.

zhopper05 08-02-2013 10:29 PM

I still think it's a fake. If you look at the other picture posted from the rear, the "photoshop" shows dents in the Corvette. The Corvette body would break apart if hit, and not dent.

User 2623 08-02-2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1584572504)
I still think it's a fake. If you look at the other picture posted from the rear, the "photoshop" shows dents in the Corvette. The Corvette body would break apart if hit, and not dent.

This was my initial assessment as well. I looked at the C7 reflection on the ground and it looked like it was a C4 front end mirroring back. But I couldn't be certain.

But someone here said that it was confirmed by GM.

Walt White Coupe 08-03-2013 08:01 AM

:willy::willy::willy::willy::willy::will y::willy:

Turbobndt 08-03-2013 09:05 AM

If this was a photoshop I certainly would have included my own team of accident investigators. I believe it to be real.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...bes-150038.jpg

gthal 08-03-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobndt (Post 1584574625)
If this was a photoshop I certainly would have included my own team of accident investigators. I believe it to be real.

It's real unless someone went out of their way to photoshop various angles and make everything consistent :lol:

... conspiracy theorists abound :D

Big Dan 427 08-03-2013 09:10 AM

Probably a new demographic youngster driving it that couldn't handle the hp!

0-60B4U 08-03-2013 09:26 AM

Several different photos of different angles from different members have been posted on this site and you still think it is "photo-shopped"! Amazing! Guess you think the world is still flat? :crazy::crazy::shrug:

ByByBMW 08-03-2013 10:54 AM

Uh, my corvette didn't break when I got into an accident, and neither did my other plastic/SMC cars. It will dent.

zhopper05 08-03-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobndt (Post 1584574625)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...bes-150038.jpg

I do like your sens of humor. However, let's get technical a little. Correct me if I am wrong - Unless the C7 was driving across the pedestrian crosswalk, the impact we presumed happened somewhere in the intersection, and the Lincoln must have dragged the C7 across and onto the crosswalk. If that was the case, why then, all the debris from the impact appears to be all concentrated where the cars ended up rather than at the point of impact, or possibly scattered?

Also, if you look into the side mirror of the photographer's car, do you notice that the first car shown appears to be a black damaged car? Or is it just me?

zhopper05 08-03-2013 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 1584575404)
Uh, my corvette didn't break when I got into an accident, and neither did my other plastic/SMC cars. It will dent.

Over the years, I've had 3 corvettes hit, and all three times, the body surface that did not crack, bounced back into place. I'll give you the possibility of some areas may get just enough stress to bend but not enough to crack. However, while, supposedly, the C7 was dragged after the impact, don't you think you would see scuff marks on the wheels from the Lincoln's bumpers?

There are so many question marks...

ncvette_1FUNRIDE 08-03-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1584575524)
I do like your sens of humor. However, let's get technical a little. Correct me if I am wrong - Unless the C7 was driving across the pedestrian crosswalk, the impact we presumed happened somewhere in the intersection, and the Lincoln must have dragged the C7 across and onto the crosswalk. If that was the case, why then, all the debris from the impact appears to be all concentrated where the cars ended up rather than at the point of impact, or possibly scattered?

Also, if you look into the side mirror of the photographer's car, do you notice that the first car shown appears to be a black damaged car? Or is it just me?

Yes, it is just you.

Definitely a real photo.

zhopper05 08-03-2013 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U (Post 1584574751)
Several different photos of different angles from different members have been posted on this site and you still think it is "photo-shopped"! Amazing! Guess you think the world is still flat? :crazy::crazy::shrug:

I guess if it's posted on the internet then it's automatically true. Right?

zhopper05 08-03-2013 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE (Post 1584575585)
Yes, it is just you.

Definitely a real photo.

Maybe. Like I said, I could very well be wrong. But the thing that puzzles me is the concentration of debris at the point of rest rather than point of impact or even scattered. That, I am having a hard time explaining.

0-60B4U 08-03-2013 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1584575625)
Maybe. Like I said, I could very well be wrong. But the thing that puzzles me is the concentration of debris at the point of rest rather than point of impact or even scattered. That, I am having a hard time explaining.

As a former accident investigator for a Metro PD, I found there was almost always more debris where the vehicles finally stopped than where they first collided. Because of the debris in the street before the crosswalk, it is very obvious to me that the Vette was hit while in the intersection making a left turn. The left front corner of the Lincoln made first contact with the Vette's door near the handle. The Lincoln's impact slid the Vette straight and the Lincoln's right front corner then impacted the door near the hinges. That's why there is more damage to the door near the handle than at the hinges. It is likely that the Lincoln stopped it's forward movement before the Vette quit sliding sideways. That's the reason there is a separation of the two vehicles and why most of the debris is in between them.

janicept 08-04-2013 07:41 AM

That is so sad to see. I love the look of the blue one - just not in the grass.

zhopper05 08-04-2013 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U (Post 1584580390)
As a former accident investigator for a Metro PD, I found there was almost always more debris where the vehicles finally stopped than where they first collided. Because of the debris in the street before the crosswalk, it is very obvious to me that the Vette was hit while in the intersection making a left turn. The left front corner of the Lincoln made first contact with the Vette's door near the handle. The Lincoln's impact slid the Vette straight and the Lincoln's right front corner then impacted the door near the hinges. That's why there is more damage to the door near the handle than at the hinges. It is likely that the Lincoln stopped it's forward movement before the Vette quit sliding sideways. That's the reason there is a separation of the two vehicles and why most of the debris is in between them.

Thanks for the clarification. But, can you please explain to me why there would be a wider debris field at the resting point, rather than point of impact? I am trying to understand it from a physics stand point. The C7 was apparently dragged/pushed a distance in excess of 40 feet. Don't you think the impact would have spun the Vette once the corner of the Lincoln reached the door handle of the Vette? Just asking. I may be dense, I am simply trying to learn....

TXGS507 08-06-2013 08:01 AM

EXACTLY!!! That is what the Avalanche Z71 is for...
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/8307/qeo4.jpg

Originally Posted by rothchilds (Post 1584555251)
well duh, that's why you don't drive it in the rain!

:leaving:

lt4obsesses 08-06-2013 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1584586555)
Thanks for the clarification. But, can you please explain to me why there would be a wider debris field at the resting point, rather than point of impact? I am trying to understand it from a physics stand point. The C7 was apparently dragged/pushed a distance in excess of 40 feet. Don't you think the impact would have spun the Vette once the corner of the Lincoln reached the door handle of the Vette? Just asking. I may be dense, I am simply trying to learn....

Two factors:

1) Momentum. Those parts that 'exploded' off the car at impact were traveling the same speed and direction as the car, thus they followed the car to it's resting place.

2) Delay. Many parts will become patially dislodged at impact only to become fully dislodged after coming to a rest. Internal parts that did come fully dislodged at impact, will still follow the car until the resting point.

Walt White Coupe 08-06-2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1584599398)
Two factors:

1) Momentum. Those parts that 'exploded' off the car at impact were traveling the same speed and direction as the car, thus they followed the car to it's resting place.

2) Delay. Many parts will become patially dislodged at impact only to become fully dislodged after coming to a rest. Internal parts that did come fully dislodged at impact, will still follow the car until the resting point.

Thank you for adding some actual understanding and knowledge about crashes and their aftermath in this ridiculous "photoshop" discussion.

2K14C7 08-06-2013 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They can definitely crack sometimes as a friend of mine found out last week.

0-60B4U 08-06-2013 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1584586555)

:toetap::toetap:
Why are you trying to make this so difficult? First of all the Lincoln pushed the Vette. There was no dragging! Second, the Vette was pushed only about a car length after it was hit. Not 40 plus feet! This is very evident by where the debris starts and ends. Third, neither the Lincoln nor the Vette was traveling very fast. Probably in the neighborhood of 10-15 mph. Any faster and there would have been much more damage to both vehicles. And Fourth, to spin a vehicle around, it has to be hit hard at the very front or back corners. When a car is T-boned, it doesn't spin around, it just gets pushed straight.

ByByBMW 08-06-2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U (Post 1584599566)
Why are you trying to make this so difficult? First of all the Lincoln pushed the Vette. There was no dragging! Second, the Vette was pushed only about a car length after it was hit. Not 40 plus feet! This is very evident by where the debris starts and ends. Third, neither the Lincoln nor the Vette was traveling very fast. Probably in the neighborhood of 10-15 mph. Any faster and there would have been much more damage to both vehicles. And Fourth, to spin a vehicle around, it has to be hit hard at the very front or back corners. When a car is T-boned, it doesn't spin around, it just gets pushed straight.

Um, maybe in a perfect world. But my Tundra pickup got T-Boned almost dead center and it spun 270. To many variables to make a blanket statement like I highlighted.

McGirk94LT1 08-06-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1584599398)
Two factors:

This. Of the parts that are damaged heavily, some will explode off. The rest, loose bits will be stuck travelling at the same speed as the car. When the car comes to a stop, all the loose parts are essentially whiplashed forward.

A la a cup in a shallow cup holder when you hit the breaks... a la momentum.

JustinStrife 08-06-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06 (Post 1584598801)
EXACTLY!!! That is what the Avalanche Z71 is for...
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/8307/qeo4.jpg

Good looking ride. My dad wants to pick one of these up to replace his Tahoe. :cheers:

zhopper05 08-06-2013 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U (Post 1584599566)

I am sorry if my questions frustrate you.

First - a Question for you - are you telling me the Corvette was traveling on the wrong side of the street? That would be the only way it would have been "pushed" a one-car length. From what I could tell, it was supposedly making a left turn from a four-lane boulevard; do the math - The Corvette's original turning lane plus two on-coming lanes, plus the crosswak, plus it's final stop.

Second - my conclusion as to the "spin" was based on the initial assessment of the prior entry by a former accident investigator who indicated that based on the damaged of the Lincoln, it hit the Corvette at its corner at the front of the Corvette's door then skidded to the back. If that is the case, the Corvette would have to be pushed in a circular motion, and not necessarily a full 360-degree spin.

Third - I don't buy the analogy of all of the debris continue travel until the resting point. Because, technically speaking, once the Lincoln supposedly made impact with the Corvette, some debris that launches forward and sideways due to the original impact, initially at the speed of the Lincoln, would bounce back off the Corvette body and cease from traveling at the same speed of the Lincoln, and therefore creating a field of debris over a wider area than shown (see the picture of the Yellow Corvette - look at the track of debris).

Fourth - the apparent dents. All you have to do is compare the condition / appearance of the yellow Corvette. Do you see dents all over? Or cracks? The door panels of the C7 should have cracked due to the several sharp corners hitting it repeatedly due to the presumed "push". The damage on the door looks more like an aluminum-door damage.

Finally - I would think, by now, someone would have come forward with pictures of the Corvette on a flatbed.

I am sorry, but with all due respect to the experts, I am just not convinced.

RickDI 08-06-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1584601435)
I am sorry, but with all due respect to the experts, I am just not convinced.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gm-e...eet-crash.html

"This is the most serious crash to date" involving the new 2014 Corvette, said Monte Doran, a GM spokesman, in a phone conversation on Monday.

Bill17601 08-06-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 1584600005)
Um, maybe in a perfect world. But my Tundra pickup got T-Boned almost dead center and it spun 270. To many variables to make a blanket statement like I highlighted.

Now that is a weak suck pick-up..to get hit in the middle and spin. I wouldn't buy another one of those if I were you..or maybe it is a magic truck that gets hit dead center like a pool ball then spins around..

Xitablboy 08-06-2013 05:18 PM

Not a Left Turn

I believe that the Vette was stopped at the light and decided to make an illegal U Turn. He pulled out in front of the Linc which slid on wet pavement. The accident happened exactly where the debris is located.

ByByBMW 08-06-2013 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1584603454)
Now that is a weak suck pick-up..to get hit in the middle and spin. I wouldn't buy another one of those if I were you..or maybe it is a magic truck that gets hit dead center like a pool ball then spins around..

Sorry if real world evidence doesn't fit your preconceived notions of how things work.

TTRotary 08-06-2013 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1584603454)
Now that is a weak suck pick-up..to get hit in the middle and spin.

This is the type of response I'd expect from a teenager...like perhaps your alter ego drmustang. It's physics, "Bill". If the truck is hit in the middle, but most of the weight is over one end (in this case the front), the vehicle will spin around the axis of the weight, in this case the front tires. Pretty simple.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the perceived quality of the vehicle...

ByByBMW 08-06-2013 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by TTRotary (Post 1584603939)
This is the type of response I'd expect from a teenager...like perhaps your alter ego drmustang. It's physics, "Bill". If the truck is hit in the middle, but most of the weight is over one end (in this case the front), the vehicle will spin around the axis of the weight, in this case the front tires. Pretty simple.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the perceived quality of the vehicle...

Thank you, I didn't want to take the time to explain it to him.

0-60B4U 08-06-2013 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 1584600005)

:iagree: You are absolutely right. I should have said that a vehicle "normally" doesn't spin when T-boned at "slower speeds".

0-60B4U 08-06-2013 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by RickDI (Post 1584602782)
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gm-e...eet-crash.html::

"This is the most serious crash to date" involving the new 2014 Corvette, said Monte Doran, a GM spokesman, in a phone conversation on Monday.

Thanks for the link. I doubt if Zhopper05 will view it though! As he is dead set on continuing his "photo-shopped" rant in spite of all the evidence to the contrary!

zhopper05 08-06-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U (Post 1584605434)
Thanks for the link. I doubt if Zhopper05 will view it though! As he is dead set on continuing his "photo-shopped" rant in spite of all the evidence to the contrary!

Yes, I did check the link. it turned out I was apparently wrong and it's okay. By the way I was not ranting - LOL. I simply raised a number of legitimate questions, that out of curiosity wanted to get answered.

ByByBMW 08-06-2013 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U (Post 1584605370)
:iagree: You are absolutely right. I should have said that a vehicle "normally" doesn't spin when T-boned at "slower speeds".

:iagree: and don't have an issue with that statement.

QueadlunnRau 08-14-2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by RickDI (Post 1584602782)

That page/link looks fake, definitely Adobe Pagefakered out. You can tell because there are only like 5 ads instead of 6 or 7. Also not as much bold or italicized fonts

:rofl:

Note this post was a joke for those who find it difficult to read peoples sarcasm or between the lines, I was in a playful mood when I saw this thread and someone had me going on thinking the picture was "chopped" but now when I think about it everything is photoshopped ... if anything to help better the lighting on a sub-par picture or zoomed in for a better closeup etc ...

Walt White Coupe 08-14-2013 05:36 PM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...n-town-car.php