CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Delivery Dates Pushed Back..... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3315103-c7-delivery-dates-pushed-back.html)

sajonf 07-31-2013 10:22 PM

I will believe it when I hear it from GM.

michaelinmech 07-31-2013 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by EBVette (Post 1584554305)
Maybe I just should have said, "Is it true the delivery dates will be delayed an unspecified amount of time due to some final engineering issues that GM is concerned about?"

How would that fly, so we can focus more on the substance of what I am asking rather than where and who I heard this from?

So can we focus more on the issue of; is there a delay to delivery?

FYI...Yes GM would serve itself much better if it just had a site to let people know what it going on, and it would stop all this foolishness of rumors, and I have a friend who, or like I did, I was talking too.

My point of this whole post was to find out the status of production/delivery.

Thank you...:yesnod:

EBVette - I don't have any itch with you or what you posted in particular - please don't take my comments personally - I had no such intention. I did use your post as the basis for what does bother me, that being folks constantly claiming sources for info, but can't/won't say who they are.

Certainly, imho, the way you start this last posting would be better in that it brings no unnamed sources into the topic. Further it focuses on the substance, exactly as you say.

I don't blame you one bit for wanting to discover build and delivery status. And I concur that some systematic updates by Team Corvette would eliminate 90% of the speculation and rumors. Surely they are fully aware of the pent up anticipation . . . .

:thumbs:

Philr56 07-31-2013 10:32 PM

Speaking of which, I wonder why GM doesn't engage the public via this forum or other social media platforms. Come on, PR folks, use this forum to squelch rumors, correct misstatements and put your loyal customers at ease. And if there is truth to what is being said, give it to us straight. We need to hear from you.

G200 Pilot 07-31-2013 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by trivette (Post 1584552702)
I understand the reason for your initial post as well-trying to confirm some things you've heard. As an anxious C7 buyer I am wondering what seems to be the delay in startup? If the post re the plant being closed until September is true, then there certainly seems to be an issue of some sort holding things up. I'm willing to wait until they get it right if there is additional testing, etc. required to deliver a trouble free (or at least few problems) vehicle. Hopefully someone (GM?) can provide some real information and end all the speculation.

I asked that question at the seminar held this past weekend at the Corvette Homecoming held by Wil Cooksey, former plant manager re: the perceived vail of secrecy surrounding ops at the plant. He didn't really address it but did say that they " build a bucket" at a time, then go over it thoroughly to make sure it fits correctly since it doesn't always go as per the computer model. The plant is open and running.... They're still working out bugs. Today I heard they ran into a snag with the hinge to the back trunk cover. I agree, it would be better if GM gave us progressive reports as we go, rather than choosing the tight lip approach. :willy::willy:

R&L's C6 07-31-2013 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by G200 Pilot (Post 1584554532)
I asked that question at the seminar held this past weekend at the Corvette Homecoming held by Wil Cooksey, former plant manager re: the perceived vail of secrecy surrounding ops at the plant. He didn't really address it but did say that they " build a bucket" at a time, then go over it thoroughly to make sure it fits correctly since it doesn't always go as per the computer model. The plant is open and running.... They're still working out bugs. Today I heard they ran into a snag with the hinge to the back trunk cover. I agree, it would be better if GM gave us progressive reports as we go, rather than choosing the tight lip approach. :willy::willy:

Are they working on convertibles already or did you mean hatch hinges?

CaryKen 07-31-2013 10:54 PM

GM is probably picking the lesser of two evils in this "damned if they do, damned if they don't" update scenario.

Imagine announcing a tentative date, then announcing some item that was pushing it back, then another date, then another discovered item that pushed it back...

The outcry from the masses would be overwhelming. "Look at these jokers! They had all that time to design on computers, and models, and pre-production cars and they still can't get the trunk latch to work?!? They have changed the production start date 14 times already! Does anyone there know what they are doing?"

Better to keep one general frustration item out there about "When will production start?" rather than letting every enthusiast, hater, and automotive publication dissect each detail of the QA process during shakedown finalization.

Quite honestly, when it comes down to it, we are not on the "Need To Know" list.

G200 Pilot 07-31-2013 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584554581)
Are they working on convertibles already or did you mean hatch hinges?

Hatch hinges, sorry...

WHT 08-01-2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by CitationZ06@yahoo (Post 1584554402)
They can still build the car then update the computer with highalt1.1

Not if the problem is vibration and complications with the torque tube/chassis. You can't expect complex systems on a new application to work perfectly without some learning curve. Simulation is good, but not the same as actual highway testing.

Promind 08-01-2013 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1584554376)
If we stopped all unsubstantiated internet rumors and gossip there would be about three threads a day on the forum, and they all would be "what color should I buy", "which wheels should I get" and "which interior would you get with night race blue".

Hey I was just going to start one of those. :D

Glenmcp 08-01-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by CaryKen (Post 1584554671)
GM is probably picking the lesser of two evils in this "damned if they do, damned if they don't" update scenario.

Imagine announcing a tentative date, then announcing some item that was pushing it back, then another date, then another discovered item that pushed it back...

The outcry from the masses would be overwhelming. "Look at these jokers! They had all that time to design on computers, and models, and pre-production cars and they still can't get the trunk latch to work?!? They have changed the production start date 14 times already! Does anyone there know what they are doing?"

Better to keep one general frustration item out there about "When will production start?" rather than letting every enthusiast, hater, and automotive publication dissect each detail of the QA process during shakedown finalization.

Quite honestly, when it comes down to it, we are not on the "Need To Know" list.

:iagree:
We have to realize we created most of the date expectations ourselves. Many of us put money down at the beginning of the year. So, instead of the usual money down in July for a delivery by early September, a two month wait, we have been waiting six months or more. GM has said for a long time that retail delivery would be late summer or early fall. To me that means late September or early October.

Promind 08-01-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by CaryKen (Post 1584554671)

:iagree: and it makes sense. On the flip side, that mentality is somewhat old school business practice. Today's customer does expect more intimate engagement what with social media and all. There might be a way to walk a line between the two extremes.

khoeysr 08-01-2013 09:48 AM

IMO one of the byproducts of this "misinformation" or lack of information thing is the creation of buzz, hype, anxiety for the new car. Takes me back to when the CTS V coupe was launched. The whole idea of getting one of the first ones, of buying one completely sight unseen in real life, and these same rumors and false infobits made it kind of a game. My Cad dealer invited me up to meet with a product manager who was touring around dealerships with one of the pre-production cars. He met with some of us who had orders in, and we found out, among other things, that the sunroof did not retract. There wasn't enough room in the steeply raked car to get all the gear in there. They built a few with the roof rolling back on top, but they decided it just wasn't right. So it only pops up. This was a big secret until the cars actually started showing up. GM surely knows this. While they may not intentionally fuel it, they love that intrigue effect.

My second CTS V I just walked up to the car parked in front of the dealer's showroom and bought it. Got the car much faster, but less adrenaline and anticipation.

b4i4getit 08-01-2013 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Philr56 (Post 1584554503)
Speaking of which, I wonder why GM doesn't engage the public via this forum or other social media platforms. Come on, PR folks, use this forum to squelch rumors, correct misstatements and put your loyal customers at ease. And if there is truth to what is being said, give it to us straight. We need to hear from you.

You want the truth ? You can't handle the truth ! :D

illiceman11 08-01-2013 10:58 AM

As said here Be dammed either way.I want mine right from the factory.Yes I can,t wait but.I don,t want to take it back to the dealer.
GM cares no doubt about the customer but they have found overall it,s better for the customer if it comes RIGHT to him or her the customer.
After all I want to drive my C7 but not back to the dealer for service.

rmarc7828 08-01-2013 12:59 PM

With the liberal news reporters today, they would take any notice of a potential flaw or delay and blow it into a news story demanding recall of the entire fleet before they are even built. It does no good for GM to advertise problems, late start-up, etc. No new is good news as far as I am concerned. We are not even half-way through the third quarter, no reason for GM to announce delays real or imaginary.

Rad22 08-01-2013 01:06 PM

Someone seriously suggested that the factory engage this forum with updates and discussions?

You can't be serious!

That would be like swimming into a river of piranhas with bleeding wounds. That would be a public relations disaster of epic proportions from which Corvette was never recover.

IMHO, they should certainly read but never engage (at least not with an identifiable moniker) this forum.

Jesterissimo 08-01-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by rmarc7828 (Post 1584558668)
With the liberal news reporters today, they would take any notice of a potential flaw or delay and blow it into a news story demanding recall of the entire fleet before they are even built. It does no good for GM to advertise problems, late start-up, etc. No new is good news as far as I am concerned. We are not even half-way through the third quarter, no reason for GM to announce delays real or imaginary.

Or on the flip side conservative media outlets would use it as an example of the trouble with what they like to call "government motors".

msm859 08-01-2013 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by rmarc7828 (Post 1584558668)
With the liberal news reporters today, they would take any notice of a potential flaw or delay and blow it into a news story demanding recall of the entire fleet before they are even built. Seriously? It does no good for GM to advertise problems, late start-up, etc. No new is good news as far as I am concerned. We are not even half-way through the third quarter, no reason for GM to announce delays real or imaginary.

Although off topic, this couldn't be further from the truth. Actually the "liberal media" has been accused of adopting GM and blindly supporting them. Fox "news" on the other hand has never shied away from attacking them -- with or without facts.

michaelrm1 08-01-2013 01:44 PM

I passed an entire truckload of C7's Tuesday morning heading north toward Detroit just FYI

~Stingray 08-01-2013 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584552235)
So you do know where Ox is!:yesnod::hide:

Ok, I don't want to thread jack, but I constantly see threads about Ox having some kind of connection to the corvette; whether it be he is tadge or an employee on the line. Can someone shed some light on what is going on. I feel I am missing either a big insiders joke or really missed the ball on the something.