CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Who's Considered Corvette Family? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3313613-whos-considered-corvette-family.html)

Brockman66 07-29-2013 08:18 AM

Who's Considered Corvette Family?

So, coming back from Ocean City, Maryland I must have seen about 10 Corvettes. I got a wave from about 8 of them, not to mention one guy who honked his horn several times and enthusiastically waved and smiled to which I returned the gesture. Well, about halfway home in West Chester, a lady in a Cadillac XLR pulled up two lanes over from my wife and I and I looked over and we made eye contact and I waved to which she smiled and waved back like she had never been waved to before.

I guess my question is; who is considered corvette family and who isn't? I mean, the XLR is just a Corvette with a Cadillac emblem and a boxier body and the CTS-V's share our engines, are they part of the Corvette family as well? Are we supposed to wave to them, too?

whiteboy 07-29-2013 08:22 AM

Hey
If there is eye contact and a look, I give them a thumbs up and a wave and a smile. More fun that way.:thumbs:

2vette2 07-29-2013 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by whiteboy (Post 1584529110)
Hey
If there is eye contact and a look, I give them a thumbs up and a wave and a smile. More fun that way.:thumbs:

:iagree:

vet55 07-29-2013 08:27 AM

Vette drivers, to me, are auto enthusiasts.
I feel like we invite all people who love
cars to be excited and get involved. When
I am in my Vette I wave to just about
anyone who takes a look. fwiw.

wayback 07-29-2013 08:31 AM

I wave to all Vettes and anyone who waves at me.:thumbs:

Brockman66 07-29-2013 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by wayback (Post 1584529155)

Just makin' sure I wasn't the only one!

Rich Mickol 07-29-2013 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by wayback (Post 1584529155)

Same here. :thumbs:

pickleseimer 07-29-2013 09:50 AM

Speaking of Ocean City, you just never know where you'll meet someone.

I was in Ocean City last week. Come out of the condo, look down in the parking lot to where our Honda Civic is parked in the reserved spot for our unit, and there is a Vette parked next to it in the spot reserved for the condo right next to ours! Couple hours later I'm out and see the Vette owner rummaging around in the trunk, so I walk up and tell him he's parked next to the safest guy in Maryland to park a Vette next to!

Ended up talking for about 30 minutes in the lot trading stories and exchanging experiences. Great guy! His name was John - hopefully he'll check in on the forum, said he was not familiar with it. Had a nice looking C5 CRM targa.

nous defions 07-29-2013 09:54 AM

I get a wave, flashing of beams, or honking of horns, from fellow Corvette owners, about 80% of the time. I reciprocate every time. But, I gotta say, this is the only car I've experienced this with. The only other time I see this as often is with Harley owners.

dvilin 07-29-2013 11:46 AM

If they wave I wave back.

Don-Vette 07-29-2013 12:25 PM

I only wave to other Corvette owners. But if someone waves to me from a rusted out Pinto I will eave back too.

pickleseimer 07-29-2013 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1584530950)
I only wave to other Corvette owners. But if someone waves to me from a rusted out Pinto I will eave back too.

The guy in the rusted-out Pinto is probably a Vette owner. I wave to other Vettes when I'm in the daily-driver Civic.

carl3989 07-29-2013 12:57 PM

I think we're getting off topic from what the Op originally asked. Is the Caddy XLR to be considered related to the vette enough to warrant a wave? Reason I'm interested is that our local Corvette club has been asked by an owner of a Caddy XLR whether he may join our rides. What do you think?

noz34me 07-29-2013 01:05 PM

For me, any performance/muscle car gets a wave. That includes, but is not limited to: Dodge Challengers, Mustangs, Camaros, GTO's, older variants of the same, and of course all models of Corvettes.

dvilin 07-29-2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by carl3989 (Post 1584531262)
I think we're getting off topic from what the Op originally asked. Is the Caddy XLR to be considered related to the vette enough to warrant a wave? Reason I'm interested is that our local Corvette club has been asked by an owner of a Caddy XLR whether he may join our rides. What do you think?

Unless your club has a strict rule Corvettes only why not let the XLR owner join you on a ride. As for being a member of the club that is another issue.

swdude987 07-29-2013 01:36 PM

I wave back to everyone who waves and I always wave to the fellow corvette owners.

Jeep Wrangler owners also wave to each other. At least years ago they did in Pennsylvania.

3 stories of perceptions people have from my experiences:

1) I was pulling in to the parking lot at my local pub and the one friendly couple's son (he is in his mid 30s) said that is one of those snobby vette owners. She said no he is not he is a nice guy and friendly. She told me the story the next time I saw her since they were leaving when I was coming in.

2) A couple that is totally into Mopar/Dodge - they own a 70s challenger and charger. They say my vette is not a muscle car. I said okay it is a sports car. They say since I do not take it out in the rain, it is pampered. I say I just prefer to not have to clean it right after it rains. I keep telling them I love CARS!! I had a 1994 Mustang Cobra that I sold to buy my 2006 Corvette Convertible. I think muscle cars, sportscars and exotics are all awesome. So why hate. Just love the car you have and have some fun!! Just the other day they told me to come to a local car show. So I guess they are starting to get it!!

3) My brother-in-law is a huge BMW M3 fan (had 2 of them - wrecked 1 of them) and a Ferrari fan (drools over it). Never talked about Corvettes ever as something he wanted. I took him to the Carlisle Corvette Show and he was amazed. He was surprised how nice everyone was and how many modification are available for it. He said he has never seen anything like it. He told my sister he wants to by a Corvette. Now the new C7 is coming out and he keeps asking me if I am going to get it.

So my rule is to be friendly and you never know who you may win over or they may win you over on their car too!!

carl3989 07-29-2013 01:49 PM

Of course not to wave back would be rude. The question is whether a wave should be initiated by a vette owner when he or she encounters a Caddy XLR which is made along side of the vette.

C7 BOB 07-29-2013 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by carl3989 (Post 1584531262)

NO! It's not a Corvette. It has a Cadillac engine. It was built in the Corvette assembly plant, but in a separate area. The Corvette has always been a sports car. The XLR was an attempt to compete with the Mercedes SL - a luxury car. Corvette has a long, unique history with very loyal fans, while XLR was just a burp in Cadillac's history of bad ideas - Allante, Catera, Cimmaron, etc. Corvette owners are a very special group!

swdude987 07-29-2013 02:02 PM

I think we understand it is not a corvette, but what is the harm if the local club allows the XLR to be a member. No harm!!

FloydSummerOf68 07-29-2013 02:03 PM

I wave only at nicely and tastefully modified corvettes. Stock corvettes aren't driven by enthusiasts (with the rare exception of those who avidly race them totally stock)