CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Why the recent popularity of 63 coupes ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3313380-why-the-recent-popularity-of-63-coupes.html)

1snake 07-30-2013 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Terry (Post 1584542804)
I would rather drive a 63 SWC then a Roadster in the summer on hot sunny days. Why you may ask? Well take your roadster and put the top down (that is why the top goes down so you can drive them in the hot sun) and head down the interstate or drive in town or just drive and see how hot you get. The sun will fry your legs, arms, top of your head and your face. You will look like a Tomato if you are out all day driving. Now go drive the same place and time and in the same temp. in a SWC and just roll down the windows and open the side vents. You will not be any hotter driving the SWC and your will not be SUN BURNT. Give me a Midyear Coupe any day over a Mid year Vert. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

:iagree: 100% correct. There's nothing worse than sweating your azz off in a roadster under the hot sun. Especially if you're stuck in traffic. At least a coupe offers you some shade. I've always noticed that in areas that get really hot like the desert areas of S. Ca., Arizona, Nevada etc, EVERY convertible you see has the top UP. They only put them down in the winter time when it's cooler.

Jim

Bristolboy 07-30-2013 06:12 PM

The year is winding down and my 64 Roadster will be celebrating its 50th anniversary. I bought it in '86. It recently had a professional frame off restoration. Who wants a SWC when you can have a great roadster. I rarely put the top up. I've had a ton of fun with it and thinking now of selling at this point in my life. What's a fair value and asking price?

ChattanoogaJSB 07-30-2013 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bristolboy (Post 1584543037)
The year is winding down and my 64 Roadster will be celebrating its 50th anniversary. I bought it in '86. It recently had a professional frame off restoration. Who wants a SWC when you can have a great roadster. I rarely put the top up. I've had a ton of fun with it and thinking now of selling at this point in my life. What's a fair value and asking price?

Definitely worthy of a new thread with details and photos. I'm sure many of us will reply.

62Jeff 07-30-2013 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB (Post 1584542300)
At 33 years old, my new '64 coupe is just fine in the Southeast with the windows down and the vents open.

Chattanooga Tennessee: High today - 89, low - 70

Houston Texas: 7:15 pm current temps: 95 degrees with "low" 49% humidity resulting in a Feels Like temp of 105 degrees.

My 65 coupe is pleasant to drive when we get Spring-like temps like you have too :D

ChattanoogaJSB 07-30-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 62Jeff (Post 1584544115)
Chattanooga Tennessee: High today - 89, low - 70

Houston Texas: 7:15 pm current temps: 95 degrees with "low" 49% humidity resulting in a Feels Like temp of 105 degrees.

My 65 coupe is pleasant to drive when we get Spring-like temps like you have too :D

Yes we only have a week or two of mid 90's temps like that a year. But if you asked me if I were more comfortable with 105 degree index air blowing over me in the full sun or with an umbrella, my choice is the umbrella! Balding.

Bristolboy 07-30-2013 09:06 PM

Thanks. I am new so not sure about starting a thread but will try.

Zoomin 07-31-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1584538627)
I've parked beside SWCs on more than one occasion....my '61 will get more attention. Folks will gravitate to the C1 and then inspect the SWC. The C1s are just so different looking they stand out. If you have a C1 you should not trade it for ANY other car.
Fine examples are getting tougher to find. Still - I would love a SWC to park in the garage beside the '61.

I don't know who things the inside of a coupe is cool. I've ridden in a few down this way and they just plain aren't...they can roast you alive...

I tbink I finally figured out why some of you are complaining about heat. Midway through the 63 build year, they added a thermal barrier over the transmission tunnel. With mine being a later build it has it, so no issue for me.

vettebuyer6369 07-31-2013 10:57 AM

My comment about heat was that I find a mid year coupe to be more uncomfortable in hot weather than a top down roadster. I like the top down even if its hot and sunny. I have not experienced sunburn problems. The only time Ive had my top up this summer was at Bloomington when it was raining.

Other people agreed; some disagreed. Whatever. It was not meant to take the thread off in another direction. I just meant that throughout the course of a year, personally, I get more use out of a convertible than I do with a coupe. It was not meant to criticize the coupe. I'm buying another coupe anyway. :D

Now... feel free to resume the 63 value debate. :rofl: :cheers:

Mike Terry 07-31-2013 11:31 AM

I think that the 63 SWC have always been the midyear to have, for several reasons. It is the first year of the Sting Ray, only year for the split window, there are about 80 items that are 63 Corvette only and if it is a SWC rather then a roadster then add one more to the list because of the Split Window. I remember when I was 11 yrs old, my Uncle bought a 63 SWC white/red automatic :willy:. Now I was raised in a small town so as I remember this was the first Corvette I remember seeing :yesnod:. My uncle would take me for a ride in it and I thought I was a big shot :yesnod: just for riding in it. After about 6 weeks my uncle traded in the 63 SWC :( for a 63 mint green Belair Station Wagon :crazy2:. I could not believe it. I was crushed :ack:, my dream car was gone. He told me that the seats hurt his back and that is why he traded it in. Well moveing on several years and when I was in my 50's I finally bought myself a 63 SWC :willy: after owning several other Corvettes. Yep, my uncle was right :yesnod:. The seats in the 63 were the hardest and most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in of any car or Corvette. My 54 seats were great compared to the 63 seats. But it was cool and that is what counted. I could get rid of the back pain with some Jack and Coke :cheers:. Anyway as it turned out at one point a couple years ago, I owned 5 SWC at one time and my wife about flipped :willy:. "Why do we need 5 or these cars when they are all the same with that thing in the back window :toetap:" and all I could tell her was "well they are different colors :lol:" and she turned around and went back into the house :lol:. For what ever reason the Black 63 SWC is the only color SWC I have not owned and some day I will get one, just to say I have had them all. I have a Silver Blue leaving Sat. :( for TX. to a new owner and I will have my Dark Blue 63 SWC at Carlisle F/S if anyone is interested :yesnod: stop by (booth M156-156), have a drink :cheers: and we will talk about it. See you all at Carlisle:woohoo: :cheers:. Just like I have stated in some past post, stop by and say that you are a Forum Member and have a cold :cheers: or water or soft drink on me :crazy: just so we all can put a face with a Forum Name. There will be a sign in board to sign in your name and your Form name as well :yesnod: so wee you all there.

Gary's '66 07-31-2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bristolboy (Post 1584544581)
Thanks. I am new so not sure about starting a thread but will try.

Hit "thread tools" at upper right of the page, hit "post a thread" and post a thread.:rofl:

MrPbody 07-31-2013 03:58 PM

A good friend of mine in high school had a SWC - black on black 300 pg. that was long ago, but as I recall it also had AC and PW. My friend was killed in an auto accident a few years later, but his brother still owns the car, so I can go visit it from time to time. I expect that's as close as I'll ever get to owning one. I don't recall it ever leaking, and it was often driven in winter, nor do I remember it being hot in summer….. but then again, we were young and horney, so those things didn't really matter to us at the time.
As to the rising value, things like this vid from Hagerty don't hurt anything.

Russ

Zoomin 07-31-2013 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Terry (Post 1584548789)
I think that the 63 SWC have always been the midyear to have, for several reasons. It is the first year of the Sting Ray, only year for the split window, there are about 80 items that are 63 Corvette only and if it is a SWC rather then a roadster then add one more to the list because of the Split Window. I remember when I was 11 yrs old, my Uncle bought a 63 SWC white/red automatic :willy:. Now I was raised in a small town so as I remember this was the first Corvette I remember seeing :yesnod:. My uncle would take me for a ride in it and I thought I was a big shot :yesnod: just for riding in it. After about 6 weeks my uncle traded in the 63 SWC :( for a 63 mint green Belair Station Wagon :crazy2:. I could not believe it. I was crushed :ack:, my dream car was gone. He told me that the seats hurt his back and that is why he traded it in. Well moveing on several years and when I was in my 50's I finally bought myself a 63 SWC :willy: after owning several other Corvettes. Yep, my uncle was right :yesnod:. The seats in the 63 were the hardest and most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in of any car or Corvette. My 54 seats were great compared to the 63 seats. But it was cool and that is what counted. I could get rid of the back pain with some Jack and Coke :cheers:. Anyway as it turned out at one point a couple years ago, I owned 5 SWC at one time and my wife about flipped :willy:. "Why do we need 5 or these cars when they are all the same with that thing in the back window :toetap:" and all I could tell her was "well they are different colors :lol:" and she turned around and went back into the house :lol:. For what ever reason the Black 63 SWC is the only color SWC I have not owned and some day I will get one, just to say I have had them all. I have a Silver Blue leaving Sat. :( for TX. to a new owner and I will have my Dark Blue 63 SWC at Carlisle F/S if anyone is interested :yesnod: stop by (booth M156-156), have a drink :cheers: and we will talk about it. See you all at Carlisle:woohoo: :cheers:. Just like I have stated in some past post, stop by and say that you are a Forum Member and have a cold :cheers: or water or soft drink on me :crazy: just so we all can put a face with a Forum Name. There will be a sign in board to sign in your name and your Form name as well :yesnod: so wee you all there.

Since I recently acquired one, I really would like to agree with you on this, but IMO the big dog in mid-years is the 67 BB. I will say that in the sub six figure class, the SWC is probably the one to get. :cheers:

Love the story about having 5 of the rascals. Must be nice.

OC-1 07-31-2013 04:48 PM

Back in 1962 if you parked a 63 coupe next to a 62 vette you would have thought the Martians landed or the car was some kind of land/air vehicle.

That 'first impression' has lingered among those who experienced that moment.

The 63s set the tone for the rest of that style run.

You were in your own parade back then just as you are today. Except today people take pictures of your car at traffic lights with cell phones.

"so stop shedding crocadile tears' the 63 coupe has been deemed a true classic styling that will stay strong decades to come.

Theoretically Columbus first discovered America so we celebrate a holiday named after him. Mel Gibson and Russel Crowe also came to America but not so much attention to their arrival.http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/...psfc926fb7.jpg

235265283... 08-01-2013 01:00 AM

Theory: One reason that '63s are so popular is simply that the phrase "split window" is easy to understand and catchy.

Opinion: Optimum C2 is '65 FI. Only year with FI and disc brakes. C2 was never designed for a big block. Doesn't fit neatly and requires a distorted hood. Repeat: pure opinion.

vettebuyer6369 08-01-2013 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Donny Brass (Post 1584531230)
If someone would kindly let me know when these 63 SWC were not popular,

Originally Posted by OC-1 (Post 1584551472)
"so stop shedding crocadile tears' the 63 coupe has been deemed a true classic styling that will stay strong decades to come.

Originally Posted by 235265283... (Post 1584555292)
Theory: One reason that '63s are so popular is simply that the phrase "split window" is easy to understand and catchy.

I don't think anyone in this entire interesting thread has even suggested that there was 5 minutes in time that SWC's were not "popular" or "iconic."

Don't we all agree on that?

Isn't the question at hand, "why does it seem there's major surge in price (interest) in SWCs in the last couple/few years, as opposed to the rest of the mid years which have flattened, including high end cars like BBs and '67s?"

perry mitchell 08-01-2013 11:08 AM

I had to have a '63 Corvette ever since the day I saw my first one and the Beach Boys were singing "Shut Down". In 1980, I attended a swap meet that also had some cars for sale, as most swap meets do. There were several nice Corvettes, a big block '69, a 396 - '65 roadster, and a '63 SWC. The '65 and '63 were the same price but I had to have the white "63 SWC with 39,000 miles and FI. It also had a 36.5 gal.fuel tank, but I didn't care about that, mostly because I didn't know anything about them. The guy wanted $16,500 for it but I offered $15,000 even and he took my offer.I still have it today and I have loved every year I've owned it. What an investment I made that day without even knowing it. And I don't care how hot it gets when I'm driving it.

groovyjay 08-01-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by perry mitchell (Post 1584557634)
I had to have a '63 Corvette ever since the day I saw my first one and the Beach Boys were singing "Shut Down". In 1980, I attended a swap meet that also had some cars for sale, as most swap meets do. There were several nice Corvettes, a big block '69, a 396 - '65 roadster, and a '63 SWC. The '65 and '63 were the same price but I had to have the white "63 SWC with 39,000 miles and FI. It also had a 36.5 gal.fuel tank, but I didn't care about that, mostly because I didn't know anything about them. The guy wanted $16,500 for it but I offered $15,000 even and he took my offer.I still have it today and I have loved every year I've owned it. What an investment I made that day without even knowing it. And I don't care how hot it gets when I'm driving it.

Wow, what a great story/find, I would love to see some pics of your car. I just bought a white/red SWC, no FI though. :thumbs:

rtruman 08-01-2013 01:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by chevahaulic (Post 1584525783)
Last couple years the holy grail of C-2s was a 67, any style, color, combination. Now I am seeing a higher number of ads for 63 coupes. Most want a project or driver quality version to rebuild or restomod. Is it just the first design C-2 or is it to sell the one year only parts for high prices to compensate the resto build price ? Demand for the 64s indicate a lower price of this series. As much labor and parts builders place in their creations would it not be easier to buy the two pieces of glass and make a fiberglass divider for the new style builds ? Maybe its just another trend.

Someone just did that a fake coup .:crazy2:

63Corvette 08-01-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by perry mitchell (Post 1584557634)

Perry is it a Z06? that is, does it also have the big brakes and HD suspension? Whatever, it's a cool car, so welcome to the Forum, and enjoy driving your SWC:thumbs:

perry mitchell 08-01-2013 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 63Corvette (Post 1584559211)
Perry is it a Z06? that is, does it also have the big brakes and HD suspension? Whatever, it's a cool car, so welcome to the Forum, and enjoy driving your SWC:thumbs:

No, its just a tanker with FI and saddle leather interior. I couldn't have been that lucky to unknowingly score a Z06.