CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   PAYPAL story (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3312052-paypal-story.html)

mcandrew67 07-26-2013 10:41 AM

PAYPAL story

So, I sold my CCW wheels to a guy in CA on Ebay. We had a few emails back and forth, he paid me with paypal. I went to do the shipping label and he gave me a different address than what was on paypal. It was a business address he was wanting me to ship to..
I researched his name, and the address he wanted me to ship it too and it showed that he did have a business at that address, same name as the person on paypal.
Had a couple more emails, guy said he was putting them on a Matt blue Z06 that was his track car, and he was going to powder coat them black.

I was adamant that I would only ship to the address in paypal, and he said that's fine.

Ship the wheels, check the tracking, wheels got delivered. All good... right????

NOT!

2 months later I get an email from Paypal that he did a charge back on his credit card saying it was an unauthorized purchase on his card... this was for $2000

I filled out the appropriate crap on paypal, with UPS proof of delivery etc, and noted that in order for this to happen,
1. The thief had to hack his Ebay account
2. Hack his paypal account
3. Know his business address
4. Hack his email account
5. Steal his cell phone, as I had his cell number from him too

2 days later Paypal put the money back into my paypal account, saying that since I followed paypal's requirements for shipping and selling, I was covered under there guarantee.

So anyway, my reason for this was, that Paypal can be a good way to accept payment when you sell on here, IF you follow their guidelines.

Ebay Member name is qwiksurf
His real name is Mark Knight, he owns a Matt Blue Z06, probably running around on black CCW T-10 wheels.

Biggie G 07-26-2013 10:42 AM

whew.....

glad it worked out for you dude....

pewter99 07-26-2013 10:43 AM

buyer is an azzhat....wanna throw out anymore more info post it and this thread in the Transacation/Feedback forum so no one else has to deal with this guy

mcandrew67 07-26-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Biggie G (Post 1584506917)
whew.....

glad it worked out for you dude....

thanks, I gotta tell you though, when I got that email my heart rate went up:eek:

Top_Fuel 07-26-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mcandrew67 (Post 1584506902)
I was adamant that I would only ship to the address in paypal...

Heck yeah...especially when it's a $2K deal! I've had to explain to inexperienced buyers multiple times that I will only ship to their PayPal address. :rolleyes:

2 days later Paypal put the money back into my paypal account
What are you doing with $2K in your Paypal account? I don't trust PayPal to leave fifty cents in my account...and I have it linked to an empty checking account. :lol:

wayback 07-26-2013 11:01 AM

wow what an azzhat. unbelievable what some people will do. just think what would have happened if you shipped to the business address. kiss the 2k goodbye. :toetap::toetap:

mcandrew67 07-26-2013 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel (Post 1584506981)
Heck yeah...especially when it's a $2K deal! I've had to explain to inexperienced buyers multiple times that I will only ship to their PayPal address. :rolleyes:

What are you doing with $2K in your Paypal account? I don't trust PayPal to leave fifty cents in my account...and I have it linked to an empty checking account. :lol:

actually I never leave money in my account, they debited my account the $2k, so I showed a negative balance... I always pull the money out right away.

Originally Posted by wayback (Post 1584507078)
wow what an azzhat. unbelievable what some people will do. just think what would have happened if you shipped to the business address. kiss the 2k goodbye. :toetap::toetap:

yeah, that was my thought. My radar always goes off when people want it shipped elsewhere.
But after the emails back and forth he seemed like a legit buyer, I guess he was, but was just a thief. He wanted the wheels for free, I hope his cc company busts his ass.

dvilin 07-26-2013 11:29 AM

Quite an ordeal, glad it all worked out for you. Paypal has always been my preferred method when buying or selling via the internet/ebay.

Corvette Junkie 07-26-2013 11:36 AM

Glad that it worked out for you.

Bradl1982 07-26-2013 11:55 AM

Had the same thing happen to me when I sold a ps3 and a bunch of games about a year ago. Guy did something and jacked up the hard drive about 3 weeks after he got it. He went to paypal and filed a claim and they just took the money out of my acct. Didn't email me or anything. I ended up getting the money back after a bunch of headache. Hate how paypal just trusts the buyers now without even questioning it. I don't sell anything on ebay or use paypal to receive money anymore.

michaelinmech 07-26-2013 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by mcandrew67 (Post 1584506902)

Ebay Member name is qwiksurf
His real name is Mark Knight, he owns a Matt Blue Z06, probably running around on black CCW T-10 wheels.

For the sake of other members, where is he located ???

mcandrew67 07-26-2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584507561)
For the sake of other members, where is he located ???

San Clemente, Ca

RocketDawg 07-26-2013 12:00 PM

The guy was either a victim of identify theft or he's a crook. Sounds more like the latter.

I don't trust Paypal. Period. I used it a couple of times and my account got hacked. I only buy from reputable online companies now (places like Amazon and LL Bean) and never sell anything.

LFZ 07-26-2013 12:02 PM

Crazy!!

Theres a member in the Z06 section with a Matte Blue wrapped Z living in California...he had red powdercoated wheels, so......going black was definitely needed. :willy:

brewcitygymratt 07-26-2013 12:04 PM

I've been a longtime ebay seller and have sold on multiple car forums and stories like this are great reminders to document everything about the transaction. There are a lot of scam artists out there trying to get stuff for free. Funny how many offers I got on my rolex submariner from people outside the country who offered more than my list price if I could process a credit card transaction.:rofl:

Steve_R 07-26-2013 12:21 PM

I don't use PayPal a lot and have never bought or sold on eBay. Is shipping to the buyer's address for the PayPal account part of PayPal's or eBay's terms? I'll often have vendors ship stuff to my business address when I buy with a credit card for two reasons; It's often cheaper to ship to a business address and I know someone will be there so it's not left on the front porch at home with nobody there.

11Black-GS 07-26-2013 12:32 PM

I have seen small business owners be so caught up in running a business that they don't realize an employee is sneaking behind their back using their trusted information to buy things. It's not until the owner looks over a credit statement when they realize there is a charge they personally never made.

mcandrew67 07-26-2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1584507837)
I don't use PayPal a lot and have never bought or sold on eBay. Is shipping to the buyer's address for the PayPal account part of PayPal's or eBay's terms? I'll often have vendors ship stuff to my business address when I buy with a credit card for two reasons; It's often cheaper to ship to a business address and I know someone will be there so it's not left on the front porch at home with nobody there.

Yes, to be covered on Paypal, you need to ship to the address that the buyer lists on their Paypal account. You also need some kind of verification to track package and delivery.

Supercrewbear 07-26-2013 12:39 PM

Several years ago a good friend of mine was making a pretty good living selling on Ebay. That changed when they REQUIRED him to accept Paypal. It didn't take long for him to quit Ebay all together. I think he still messes with Craig's List. Besides, mostly Ebay is a bunch of crap anymore it seems...

:flag:

1BDRSK 07-26-2013 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mcandrew67 (Post 1584508014)
Yes, to be covered on Paypal, you need to ship to the address that the buyer lists on their Paypal account. You also need some kind of verification to track package and delivery.

So as long as it's a 'confirmed' address with Paypal, you'll be covered, provided the other rules are followed as well?