CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Rough Engine + Backfiring (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3311024-rough-engine-backfiring.html)

IrishCreme 07-24-2013 04:35 PM

Rough Engine + Backfiring

Not too long ago, my Vette started riding very rough at certain speeds (felt like pre-ignition in the engine) and started backfiring after running for ~5 minutes. I tried running to injector cleaner through the system to see if maybe there was some buildup in the cylinders, but that hasn't cleared it up yet. I've always been sure to run with premium in the tank, but since I got it used, I can't account for what happened before me.

I'm thinking maybe the timing is off, though I'm obviously open to more suggestions. Any ideas, folks?

Also, FYI, the engine is equipped with a FAST fuel injection system, which I would assume would help to prevent this kind of thing, but I didn't put it there, sooooo yeah.

69 07-24-2013 09:15 PM

Hello, Pull the codes and post'em up to this thread, lets see if there are any codes that may indicate your issues.
Kevin

IrishCreme 07-29-2013 01:32 PM

What kind of equipment would I need to do that? Unfortunately, I've never hooked into a car's computer before, so it's a bit of a new world for me. I doubt I'd screw anything up if I just poked around and tried to figure it out, but with my dumb Irish luck, who knows?

BigGun 07-29-2013 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by IrishCreme (Post 1584531596)
What kind of equipment would I need to do that? Unfortunately, I've never hooked into a car's computer before, so it's a bit of a new world for me. I doubt I'd screw anything up if I just poked around and tried to figure it out, but with my dumb Irish luck, who knows?

The C5 has a code reader built into the car. You can't screw anything up. This link describes how to use the dic to read the codes. It is the first thing to do in the event of any running trouble.
http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

IrishCreme 07-29-2013 02:00 PM

Ah! Beautiful. This is why I love forums like these. I'll check it out when I get home tonight and post back.

IrishCreme 07-30-2013 09:34 AM

So, I went to check the codes last night and got about halfway through when my daughter started crying and then forgot to go back and finish. Either way, this is what I got before then:

28 - TCS: C1221 H, C1222 H, C1278 H, C1281 H, C1282 H, C1286 H
40 - BCM: B0432 H, B0503 H, B0508 H, B2527 H, B2587 H, B2593 H, B2809 H, U1096 H

There was another group about to go when I had to stop, and I may have missed a couple codes while writing them down, so I'll go back again tonight and check (I'll take a video this time, so I can review it later), but does anything stand out?

When I went through the link provided above, nothing seemed to really stick out to me that might be causing the engine to run rough, but hey, I'm new at this.

wcsinx 07-30-2013 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by IrishCreme (Post 1584538763)

When I went through the link provided above, nothing seemed to really stick out to me that might be causing the engine to run rough, but hey, I'm new at this.

TCS = traction control system
BCM = body control module

You're looking for codes under the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) listing to start.

IrishCreme 08-07-2013 03:06 PM

Ok, sorry for the super-delayed response ... had to go on a work trip sort of last minute.

At any rate, I didn't get any codes in the PCM listing, which I would have guessed would have turned something up ... According to the website BigGun mentioned, the other codes I got probably don't relate to what I'm experiencing, but I'll post all the codes I got just for posterity.

I already posted the TCS and BCM codes, so here are the remainder:

99 - HVAC: U1160
A0 - LDCM: B2282, B2286, B2284, U1064, U1096
A1 - RDCM: B2283, B2285, B2265, U1064
A6 - SCM: B0851
B0 - RFA: U1255

As I mentioned, I'm not sure any of these point to something that's causing my problem, but perhaps one of you folks know something I don't. If I am right, where else could I start to look?