CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Why would you buy a Jag F type? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3310741-why-would-you-buy-a-jag-f-type.html)

QUAKEJAKE 07-24-2013 03:40 PM

Great thread BTW, To be honest to myself the Jag name as well as decent road performance would be a good reason for me to buy one. I went to look at one last week on a Sunday.(No one around). I must say I was somewhat disappointed of it's looks "in the flesh", Pics do this car justice. If I were to go euro, the top on my list right now is the Cayman S with chrono. PDK 0-60/4.1 or a TTRS same #'s both $65K cars. Those two are better comparo's to the C7 IMO.

Scissors 07-24-2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584486906)
1) It's more expensive. Base model is 12 grand more than C7 Convertible. Yes, a full 12 grand. And options are also more expensive.

2) the base model is a V6 supercharged but only has 340 HP -- 120 LESS than the base C7.

3) It's only available in a convertible -- no coupes.

4) It has a manual or 8 speed auto (not a DCT)

5) It has an Ediff but only on the most expensive model. (Base has a mechanical limited slip diff)

6) Even it's top of the line 495 HP model is slower 0-60 than a base C7 by 0.3 seconds.

7) The base V6 supercharged gets worse fuel economy than base C7 or Z51 models. The S model has 6 worse MPG than the base C7.

8) The interior is nothing special to look at. I personally find the C7 interior much better looking than the rather ordinary F type. The C7 convertible waterfall is beautiful.

9) It's a porker at 3550 "curb" and 4450 pounds "gross".

I'm serious here... aside from the Jag name, or maybe you prefer the style, or maybe you just want to be different, why would you buy an F type?

And, for those who belly ache about the C7, how would you think if Chevy cranked this out for ya?

Maybe because Jag buyers prefer to hang out with a more upscale class of car owner when they go to gatherings? :shrug: They might also prefer the styling, or the sound, or the rarity, or any number of other things.

See: Ferrari and Lamborghini owners.

9) It's a porker at 3550 "curb" and 4450 pounds "gross".
Why even list GVWR? :lol:

RedC7AZ 07-24-2013 03:54 PM

If the C7 continues to sell at MSRP I will purchase a 2014 Boxster S, and I don't give a frog's fat a$$ what anyone thinks. I buy the car I want regardless of who makes it and what anyone thinks. I have no loyalty to one car maker. It is whatever car happens to be what I want at that point in time...and that won't change.

YES, I'm cross-shopping the C7 with the Boxster S. Please get over this, "phenomenon". :D
It would be a Caymen, but I live where the sun shines 330 days a year. The 911 is ugly, it cost more and is less fun to drive.

Saw the F-Type in person last week. Styling along side of car especially the doors is too plain. No character. Eliminated from contention so no need to have test driven it.

C7 4 Me 07-24-2013 03:54 PM

Went to an auto show this past weekend. My father in law sat in the Jaguar F-Type S, and I'll be honest. I really liked the look of the car. He has a 1964 jag, so it makes sense (plus he's a neurosurgeon, and wouldn't mind spending extra) to see him in a modern jag vert.

Despite all the mudslinging in here (obviously expected on a non-jag car forum), it really is visually appealing in person in my opinion, and the interior looks to be of high quality. It has enough horses that I'm sure it'd be fun to drive, and it sounds great when they fire it up.

Other cars we sat in, but I didn't like as much, include the Ferrari California spyder (I don't recall much about sitting in this car, and I wasn't drinking -- it was just a nice and clean ferrari). I also "sat" in a new McLaren MP4-12C. "Sat" is in quotes because I'm only 6'2", but I couldnt fit in the thing.

2K3Z06 07-24-2013 03:58 PM

Because my Irish girlfriend, digs Jaguars!!!!! It's the Styling.

Chip A 07-24-2013 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584486906)
I'm serious here... aside from the Jag name, or maybe you prefer the style, or maybe you just want to be different, why would you buy an F type?

Perhaps the answer to your question is as simple as this: They can drive one home TODAY !:cheers:

usroute66 MKW 07-24-2013 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584490675)
I'll tell you why.

I ask again-- if Chevy made this car with a supercharged V6 and 380 Hp that costed 12 grand more, would you think that was ok?

Somehow I have a feeling I don't think so.

So why would that be adequate for a Jag?

It's actually the other way around..comparing more apples to apples, GM marketing and financial folks know that GM and particularly Chevy have the low brow brand equity of WalMart among car brands / consumers and thus must price the MSRP of the base Corvette vert about 35k less than base 911 Carrera cab and 55k less than Stingray comparable performing Carrera 911S cab . They can only dream of the latter cars' obscene profit margins, since it probably costs only a few thousand bucks more to build a 911 vs a Corvette.
Jaguar brand equity is halfway between GM and Porsche and why they priced the F type halfway between a Boxster and 911 cabs who are its real market competition, to pick off the less car wonky Porsche cab intenders from above and below. The coming F-type coupe version will try to do the same , slotting between Cayman and 911 coupe, pricewise.

punky 07-24-2013 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by disc0monkey (Post 1584490641)
funny you make fun of people buying caymans which was the c7's benchmark in handling and chassis feel. idiot.

Yeah right Pal.

tuxnharley 07-24-2013 08:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me (Post 1584491278)
Went to an auto show this past weekend. My father in law sat in the Jaguar F-Type S, and I'll be honest. I really liked the look of the car. He has a 1964 jag, so it makes sense (plus he's a neurosurgeon, and wouldn't mind spending extra) to see him in a modern jag vert.

Despite all the mudslinging in here (obviously expected on a non-jag car forum), it really is visually appealing in person in my opinion, and the interior looks to be of high quality. It has enough horses that I'm sure it'd be fun to drive, and it sounds great when they fire it up.

Other cars we sat in, but I didn't like as much, include the Ferrari California spyder (I don't recall much about sitting in this car, and I wasn't drinking -- it was just a nice and clean ferrari). I also "sat" in a new McLaren MP4-12C. "Sat" is in quotes because I'm only 6'2", but I couldnt fit in the thing.

Strange - I'm 6'2", 230 lbs, and I fit just fine when I did a test drive at Amelia back in March. See pics below.
:cheers:

C7 4 Me 07-24-2013 08:25 PM

I'm glad you posted those photos. Maybe I was just trying to get in it wrong? The door well was too short (or the seat was incorrectly configured but definitely not very far forward). So I saw in backwards, facing out the door and tried to swing my legs around to get in. I couldnt get my legs up enough to get through the door. I'm only 200lbs, so it's not like I'm obese or anything

Perhaps there was something going on with the seat I was unaware of. Do you remember any difficulty getting in or out?

DocHolliday 07-24-2013 08:29 PM

I'm a jag owner now, and will be keeping my XF supercharged after i get the 'vette. For me, the reasons were:

1. Loved the power
2. Loved the style
3. Loved that unlike a 5 series or an e class MB, you can't actually swing a dead cat without hitting a Jag.

I've had both the 5 series and e class, both nice cars but they are honestly on every street corner.

tuxnharley 07-24-2013 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm, well the top was off, so I stepped in first and then sat down. Woulda been a lot tougher with the top on! And yes, I made sure the seat was all the way back first!

C7 4 Me 07-24-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by tuxnharley (Post 1584493552)
Hmm, well the top was off, so I stepped in first and then sat down. Woulda been a lot tougher with the top on! And yes, I made sure the seat was all the way back first!

Thanks for posting! You look a little cramped but otherwise easily able to get in and out. I wonder if the seat was wonky and I just didnt notice it.

I watched top gear last night and the older gentleman looked a little scrunched as well (although some people prefer to drive that way even while not racing)

In any event, it looks like you had a great time. I'll have to try and get in one again some time.

Sin City 07-24-2013 08:38 PM

I found the Mac 12c hard to get in and out of gracefully. I can't see my GF ever wanting to get into one. She definitely wouldn't wear a skirt!

The sill it too high, too wide, and the doors get in your way. And I'm only 5'8!

Cool looking-- too much pita for me.

Also I don't think having to slam a door closed is particularly reassuring. I wonder what it will be like in a few years of that abuse.

Mike O'Daniel 07-24-2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ (Post 1584491277)
If the C7 continues to sell at MSRP I will purchase a 2014 Boxster S, and I don't give a frog's fat a$$ what anyone thinks. I buy the car I want regardless of who makes it and what anyone thinks. I have no loyalty to one car maker. It is whatever car happens to be what I want at that point in time...and that won't change.

YES, I'm cross-shopping the C7 with the Boxster S. Please get over this, "phenomenon". :D
It would be a Caymen, but I live where the sun shines 330 days a year. The 911 is ugly, it cost more and is less fun to drive.

Saw the F-Type in person last week. Styling along side of car especially the doors is too plain. No character. Eliminated from contention so no need to have test driven it.

You assume that anyone gives a frogs ass that you do or don't give a frogs ass... or what car you drive. :cool::cool:

5YearPlan 07-24-2013 08:51 PM

"Jaguar" is a pretty cool name for a car brand, certainly more inspiring than, say, Nissan. That plus the history and racing pedigree (especially at Le Mans) give it appeal. The cars themselves range from sublime (c, d, and e-type) to bloody awful as the Brits would say, so hit and miss there.

Would I buy one? Probably not.

Carnut12 07-24-2013 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kappa (Post 1584487893)
1. Because its not a Corvette or a Porsche

2. It fits right in between the Corvette and the 911 in terms of pricing, at least the V8s model

3. Rarity, you're not going to see many around

4. It performs pretty well with the V6S's performing similarly to the Boxster S and the V8S performing like the Corvette and the 991S

5. You like Jaguars

6. It sounds and looks awesome to most people

7. You like European cars more than American ones

Pretty simple. People like to rag on Jaguars but recently their quality and durability is more than on par with comparable automakers. They make some pretty cool stuff.

I've driven the F-Type V8S, 991S, and C6 427 'Vert, all recently and each has there ups and downs but I can't say any of them are bad. They're all awesome.

EDIT: I'll be very, very surprised if the base C7 is quicker than the V8S in a magazine test. That thing moves.

What he said, Corvettes will be everywhere, this car is HOT!!!!

Carnut12 07-24-2013 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ (Post 1584491277)

I cross shopped them late last year, but ended up with a 3000 Mile CPO 2010 911-S. For what it is worth I chose the 2013 Boxster S over the 427. The C7 may prove different, we will see. To me they are all nice cars, but the Build Quality of a Porsche is much better than a Vette, I agree they may be over-priced. The price difference to me was worth it.

FAUEE 07-24-2013 09:09 PM

The Jag is a luxury car that happens to also be a sports car. The Corvette is a sports car that tries very hard to not appear like an economy car inside.

Different strokes for different folks. Kinda like asking why someone would buy an S550 over a 300C SRT8, or why someone would buy an oceanfront condo in FL over 5000 acres in Montana. People just like different things.

That said, I wouldn't buy the F-Type as it sits, IMO the XK is a better looking car.

BlueOx 07-24-2013 09:52 PM

The only recorded drag race between a StingRay and a Jag...

I was cruisin' in my Sting Ray late one night
When an XKE pulled up on the right
And rolled down the window of his shiny new Jag
And challenged me then and there to a drag
I said, "You're on, buddy, my mill's runnin' fine
Let's come off the line now, at Sunset and Vine
But I'll throw you one better if you've got the nerve
Let's race all the way
To Dead Man's Curve"

Dead Man's Curve, it's no place to play
Dead Man's Curve, you best keep away
Dead Man's Curve, I can hear 'em say