CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Why would you buy a Jag F type? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3310741-why-would-you-buy-a-jag-f-type.html)

Shaka 07-24-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584489610)
I always love hearing this kind of nonsense.
The Jag has a sphincter for a nose, IMHO. It polarizes the heck outta me, mainly because...
it's a friggen Jag! AAHHHHHHHH!.:thumbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czmb6tEwFE8

A lot of people here aught o go back to school either for re education or to get their fees back.

BlueOx 07-24-2013 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shaka (Post 1584489760)
A lot of people here aught o go back to school either for re education or to get their fees back.

Yes, so you can learn how to spell and use the word 'ought' vs 'aught'.

"aught" .... (seldom used) - but it means "a quantity of no importance"
"ought" ... a common word that is used to express duty
Hey, we gotta have some fun via the competition. It's an old tradition to make fun of most Jaguars.

BMadden 07-24-2013 01:16 PM

XKR is still 1000x better looking than the F-Type.

BWF07 07-24-2013 01:44 PM

I sometimes wonder about some of the replies I read on the forum. Granted we are all here (well most of us anyway) because we all happen to be Corvette enthusiast. But I never have understood why we have post like this one. Why ask a question like this on the Corvette forum except to see how many will try and make what they think is a comical remark, or to see how many will put down the other brand of car.
Remember in the eyes of many out there Corvette owners are all over weight old men with gold chains that are trying to relive their lost childhood. So why try and pick on another brand, be it Jaguar, Porsche, Audi or what ever. I look at all of them and find good points as well as bad points. Lets face it we can do the same with our beloved Corvette's.

michaelinmech 07-24-2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1584490285)
I sometimes wonder about some of the replies I read on the forum. Granted we are all here (well most of us anyway) because we all happen to be Corvette enthusiast. But I never have understood why we have post like this one. Why ask a question like this on the Corvette forum except to see how many will try and make what they think is a comical remark, or to see how many will put down the other brand of car.
Remember in the eyes of many out there Corvette owners are all over weight old men with gold chains that are trying to relive their lost childhood. So why try and pick on another brand, be it Jaguar, Porsche, Audi or what ever. I look at all of them and find good points as well as bad points. Lets face it we can do the same with our beloved Corvette's.

Lighten up there Francis - relax and have some fun with the humorous replies and over the top Corvette loyalty. Life is too short for an online forum to be serious. :D:thumbs::D

HolyRoller 07-24-2013 01:58 PM

JAGUAR = Just A Ghastly Unreliable Automobile, Really.

Used to be, anyway. I doubt Jag or anybody else could get away with low quality in today's world. And Jags have E-type heritage, the Royal Family drives them (or not, who cares), sound great, and look great.

Some people think Jaguars project wealth and class and good taste, and therefore impress clients and prospects. They may be right. To paraphrase the old Wall Street saying--think Yiddish, drive British.

Michael A 07-24-2013 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584490333)
Lighten up there Francis - relax and have some fun with the humorous replys and over the top Corvette loyalty. Life is too short for an online forum to be serious. :D:thumbs::D

The sad thing is, many of the people putting down the Jag ARE serious.:eek:

Michael

jschindler 07-24-2013 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1584490285)

I'm with you. I'm a car guy - not a Corvette guy. Before anyone gets all bent over that statement, I've owned seven Corvettes and I think that at some point I probably will own another.

michaelinmech 07-24-2013 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1584490403)
The sad thing is, many of the people putting down the Jag ARE serious.:eek:

Michael

^ I sure hope they are the few and far between. I hope most of the chatter is humorously intended :thumbs:

BWF07 07-24-2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584490333)
Lighten up there Francis - relax and have some fun with the humorous replies and over the top Corvette loyalty. Life is too short for an online forum to be serious. :D:thumbs::D

Granted, some of the replies have been amusing, but I was trying to point of that I don't understand the OP reason for even asking a question like that on the Corvette Forum. If he really wants to know what would make someone buy a Jag, he need to maybe go the Jaguar forum and ask them.

sam90lx 07-24-2013 02:27 PM

I think the OP has or had cross shopped the Jag, not sure if he would admit it though. I would never buy one myself but I think the FI V8 Vert is pretty nice and rcvd high marks from Tommy Kendall when he tested it.

genv6.2gm 07-24-2013 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by drmustang (Post 1584487418)
They buy the F type for the same reason people allow themselves to be bent over, raped, and robbed on a Boxster or a Cayman. Its all about the small minded ones pursuit of status. They certainly are not buying these vest pocket engine powered 2 seaters for their barn burning street performance.
It is amazing how many people compensate for their shortcomings this way. The Porsche boys have mastered the exploitation of these individuals and raised it to an art form. They present their entry level offerings with prices that are grossly in excess of what the car could physically ever deliver but get away with it because the buyer knows this vehicle will be perceived as a 100K+, flash item by the majority of the public.

funny you make fun of people buying caymans which was the c7's benchmark in handling and chassis feel. idiot.

Sin City 07-24-2013 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1584490548)
Granted, some of the replies have been amusing, but I was trying to point of that I don't understand the OP reason for even asking a question like that on the Corvette Forum. If he really wants to know what would make someone buy a Jag, he need to maybe go the Jaguar forum and ask them.

I'll tell you why.

Because there is so much whining on this forum about that the C7 has "only 460" Hp and a 3LT interior that costs 4 grand and doesn't come with a DCT etc etc, I thought it would be good to see how someone else approached a clean sheet designed 2 seat sports car and how much weaker it looks in comparison.

I ask again-- if Chevy made this car with a supercharged V6 and 380 Hp that costed 12 grand more, would you think that was ok?

Somehow I have a feeling I don't think so.

So why would that be adequate for a Jag?

tuxnharley 07-24-2013 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1584489529)
Prestige of a Porsche Cayman or Boxster. If I lined up 100 people that I know (not necessarily Corvette owners) and asked them if they thought either of the above cars is prestigious, or well regarded among the Porsche lineup, not even a majority would agree. Good cars nonetheless. Better in many ways than a Miata or S200 but not a prestige vehicle. jmo.

:iagree: Even Hollywood has begun to recognize the Boxster as a joke. Anybody seen the trailer for the new movie "Girl Most Likely"?

Him - "You scratched my Porsche!!"

Her - "Sir, it's a Boxster........"

:rofl:

sam90lx 07-24-2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by disc0monkey (Post 1584490641)
funny you make fun of people buying caymans which was the c7's benchmark in handling and chassis feel. idiot.

:iagree: X100 on the Idiot! I think his ol lady ran off with a P car owner.

hedgehead 07-24-2013 02:49 PM

A subsidiary of Tata motors. :eek:

BWF07 07-24-2013 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584490675)
I'll tell you why.

Because there is so much whining on this forum about that the C7 has "only 460" Hp and a 3LT interior that costs 4 grand and doesn't come with a DCT etc etc, I thought it would be good to see how someone else approached a clean sheet designed 2 seat sports car and how much weaker it looks in comparison.

I ask again-- if Chevy made this car with a supercharged V6 and 380 Hp that costed 12 grand more, would you think that was ok?

Well if Chevrolet made a supercharged V6 and put it in a Corvette, would we/I buy. Most likely no, but then again they don't so why asked "Why would you buy a Jag F type?" I said from the outset of the C7 introduction with the estimated 455 HP, that it was enough for me. Sure more HP is always great, but I fail to see why we all seem to think that we need 600Hp or 700HP or what ever. Unless you track the car, where in most parts of the country can you use all the HP available in the C7. All the big HP numbers are, are bragging rights at the local cruise in.
As far as the F type Jag goes, it is a great looking car. As far as the expense, you can say the same for the Ferrari, but people still buy them.

jschindler 07-24-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584490675)
I'll tell you why.

Your points are all valid, but buying these types of cars are not always (not usually) objective decisions. They are more about lifestyle than they are about numbers. I have a very close friend who has had several Jaguars, and his wife currently drives a 2013 510 hp XKR. They could care less whether it's faster, slower, handles better etc than a Corvette or anything else. His wife loves the car and that is all that matters. He wrote a check for the car and will never miss the money.

elegant 07-24-2013 03:29 PM

Would not even consider a Jaguar as no,manual transmission option.

BlueOx 07-24-2013 03:36 PM

The question was 'would you buy a Jag F type' and I, comically but realistically, said no because it is a Jag(!). Jags have a bad reputation (in my mind from some past acquaintances' experiences) for being unreliable cars and I wouldn't own one based on that and other factors. Add to that it is a very pricy car that I've had little interest in and there you have it.

Is that better?:cheers: