CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Confused .. which Meguiar's Detail Spray to buy (so many from this company) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3309121-confused-which-meguiars-detail-spray-to-buy-so-many-from-this-company.html)

Turbo6TA 07-21-2013 01:42 PM

Confused .. which Meguiar's Detail Spray to buy (so many from this company)

This is just crazy!

I ran out of Zaino "Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray", so I am off to the local stores around here to buy some detailer spray that will get me that nice slippery shine between wax jobs like the Zaino Z-6 does.

I think I want to purchase Meguiar's products now, but when I got on there website, I find these 4 separate 'Quik Detailer' sprays available from Meguiar's.

How the heck is somebody to decide which one of the 4 is best?

I just want something comparable to Zaino Z-6.

Anyone here know which of these Detailers will give the wettest / slipperiest shine between regular waxing and easy to use like the Zaino Z-6?

Thank's :)

BTW ... I am thinking maybe the "Ultimate Quik Detailer" maybe the best since the Meguiar's "Ultimate Liquid Wax" is about there best synthetic polymer wax.

http://www.meguiars.com/content/glob...ct/2793_lg.jpg . . http://www.meguiars.com/content/glob...ct/4685_lg.jpg

http://www.meguiars.com/content/glob...ct/2805_lg.jpg . . http://www.meguiars.com/content/glob...ct/2721_lg.jpg

carpe dm 07-21-2013 02:07 PM

The NXT is very good. I have used most of them, but have found that I cannot beat the ease and results from Griots spray wax. The stuff is now my go-to detail and wax touch up; love it. www.griotsgarage.com.

peter pan 07-21-2013 02:16 PM

I use Final Touch, I order it from AutoGeeks by the gallon:rock:

Turbo6TA 07-21-2013 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone

I just can't figure out why Meguiar's would manufacture so many of basically the same thing. It just makes it confusing for the average customer, when all 4 of these products are really about the same thing.

Meguiar's also has more than 1 type of spray wax too (not to be confused with the 4 different types of detail sprays they sell).

heli-vette 07-21-2013 02:25 PM

The Meguiars Detailer is lube / float for claying . I never spray detail ... just rejex and washing .

AddisonD 07-21-2013 02:25 PM

I use the Ultimate Quick Detailer on the supersonic blue bette, and a gloss black BMW. I think it works very well, and is easy to use even in our hot weather. Since it seems to work, and is readily available, then I see no reason to go trying out the other stuff they offer.

Turbo6TA 07-21-2013 02:28 PM

The reason I was looking to buy Meguiar's is that it can be purchased locally, so I don't have to order it through the internet, not to mention shipping charges.

I also ran out of Zaino Z-2 Polish, so instead of ordering another bottle, I just bought a bottle of the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax at the local Autozone ... works just about as well as the Zaino Z-2.

AddisonD ... You say you have a SSB Vette

Me too ... :)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p.../GSFlorida.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p.../FrontView.jpg

AddisonD 07-21-2013 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1584464002)
The reason I was looking to buy Meguiar's is that it can be purchased locally, so I don't have to order it through the internet, not to mention shipping charges.

AddisonD ... You say you have a SSB Vette

Me too ... :)

Yes, Turbo, and having seen pics of yours before, I always envy the carbon GS logo badges. I don't know how to replace them, but I think a body shop could do it for me easily.

Anyway, I "got" the question, and thus knew you were asking about something that could be bought off a local shelf. Internet ordering is great, but it is not even close to instant gratification, as one might want from to to time.

dvilin 07-21-2013 02:54 PM

Their Ultimate Detail Spray is very good, try it and I do not think you will be disappointed. I am currently using their Ultimate Paste wax and it is super as well.

RocketDawg 07-21-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1584463955)
Thanks everyone

I just can't figure out why Meguiar's would manufacture so many of basically the same thing. It just makes it confusing for the average customer, when all 4 of these products are really about the same thing.

Meguiar's also has more than 1 type of spray wax too (not to be confused with the 4 different types of detail sprays they sell).

To address your original question: I have a couple different kinds of of Meguiar's detailer, one of Ice (I think that's Turtle Wax), one from Mother's, and have had the Zaino. I can't tell the difference in any of them. Best I can tell, the different types are just a marketing ploy.

But I do like Zaino polish (I use it like "wax" ... not sure what the difference is), primarily because it's so easy to use. Easy on-easy off. And if you get it on the plastic or rubber trim, no white deposits. Just makes it shiny too. I also like Rejex.

ProfessorDeath 07-21-2013 03:19 PM

I just use the Quik Wax. Wipe on wipe off. Nice shine between wax jobs.

su8pack1 07-21-2013 03:42 PM

I've been using the Ultimate for several years with good results.

wu6fiend 07-21-2013 03:48 PM

The Quick Detailer Mist & Wipe in the red bottle is being phased out. Many stores around here and in WA state have stopped carrying it. I've used it for years and am very pleased with the results. So, I found 6 bottles at one store, and 3 at another, and bought them all. So I'm good for a while. I have one bottle of the Ultimate Quick Detailer, and don't like it nearly as much; it streaks, and is hard to get a perfect clear finish after application. I use Zaino on the special car, and the Meguiars stuff on the daily drivers.

JJPonzini 07-21-2013 03:51 PM

I use the Ultimate Quick Detailer and I like the shine. I have not used the others.

Corvette Junkie 07-21-2013 04:06 PM

So what do you run out of Z6 on the the 21st of each month?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...detailers.html

Kvothe 07-21-2013 04:10 PM

The Ultimate works well but I found it tends to streak after multiple uses between washes. It doesn't repel dust like Z6 does but it does have a nice shine to it.

FAUEE 07-21-2013 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1584463955)
Thanks everyone

Most of them are sold in different areas/markets. The NXT stuff typically is sold in Autozone type places where younger guys (who tend to like more shine and reflectiveness) will be shopping. Red bottle stuff tends to be older products, you tend to find them more in your "bargain" type stores. Gold Class is aimed at more of the older crowd who like the deep and wet look, you'll find it more often in grocery stores and other places where it's more of a "convenience" factor - they're already there for something else and buy it as well. Ultimate is sort of like their top level enthusiast product, so the guy who is posting on a forum about his car will likely want to buy this.

The spray waxes and all their other stuff is pretty much the same sort of thing. Different products for different markets and demographics - Mother's and the other big companies also do the same thing. FWIW- a spray wax is a great thing to do between normal coats of wax after a wash, it will make your normal wax job last a LOT longer.

Spray detailers are basically a shiny coating that will temporarily fill in any swirls or other micro scratches giving you a glossier and shinier finish. It definitely has an instant gratification appeal to it. It's also great for clay lube.

Polishes sand down the surface to take out surface flaws. Waxes are a protectant layer that people also like the appearance effects of. I suspect that the Zaino polish is less of a polish, and more of a crapton of fillers with some synthetic polymer sealant in it, and maybe some light abrasives to help adhesion (a huge number of waxes also have light abrasives for the same reason).

z28lt1 07-21-2013 04:18 PM

Meguiars doesn't make it easy. The Quick Detailer in the red bottle is good for lubricating clay, and works just fine as a detailer. It is the cheapest of the bunch. The Gold Class has darkening properties, and is recommended for darker colors. The Ultimate has hydrophobic polymers and helps get water to bead as sort of a wax (or sealer) booster. The NXT is in between the red bottle and the Ultimate in terms of quality/price. They are all pretty decent, so it is mostly about money versus slickness/water beading. My favorite is the Ultimate.

Too make it more complicated, most of those products have a professional line equivalent, which you can buy on-line, in bulk to save money (I know the OP doesn't want to buy on-line this is for others). M135 is most equivalent to the Ultimate Quick Detailer.

easyrider13 07-21-2013 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1584464157)
Their Ultimate Detail Spray is very good, try it and I do not think you will be disappointed.

:iagree:

iclick 07-21-2013 04:27 PM

I ran into the same problem when shopping for some detailer at Wal-Mart last week, faced with numerous Meguire's products that seemed to do the same thing. I chose the "Meguire's Gold Class High Gloss Premium Quik Detailer" because it claimed "Maintains a deep rich black shine," which I figured meant it was for black cars. Nowhere else on the bottle does it mention the word "black" but does say "The high lubricity formula produces a darker, more dramatic shine as it cleans." I'm not sure how a detailer could make the paint look darker, but I fell for the hype and it does seem to do a good job on my black car.