CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Stolen zo6 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3309081-stolen-zo6.html)

3boystoys 07-25-2013 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by lmadern (Post 1584498119)
And if we as a society blame the victim rather than the perpetrator then our society needs to change. Just because it's easy does not make it right and does not place the blame on the victim rather than the scumbag.

You probably believe that TV is to blame for the violence in our society too, right? :willy:

You leave a gun unlocked in your house and somebody shoots themselves with it, whose to blame? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, remember that? You leave keys in an unlocked car, you'll probably get your car stolen. And YES, some victims do ask for it.

lmadern 07-25-2013 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 3boystoys (Post 1584498152)
You leave a gun unlocked in your house and somebody shoots themselves with it, whose to blame? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY, remember that? You leave keys in an unlocked car, you'll probably get your car stolen. And YES, some victims do ask for it.

Yes the person that shoots themselves with my unlocked gun is to blame. If it is my child of course I'm going to blame myself for not locking it up but the action of the shooting is fully that person's fault.

No victim ever asks for it. The may be foolish or just down right stupid, but it's never the victim's fault.

02z06dave 07-25-2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by lmadern (Post 1584496784)
OMG people enough already. Everyone understands that Locks are there for a reason and that he made a mistake leaving his keys in his car.

All I've ever been trying to point out is that instead of making the OP feel worse about a mistake he made we should have just given him our support.

Everyone who said it's his fault cause he left his keys in the car have no sense of decency. Kicking a man when he's down and already feeling bad is just wrong. No reason to give the guy doubt that the insurance company won't pay out....... blah blah blah.

Next time think how you'd feel if you wrecked your car or had it stolen or anything detrimental to your happiness and just hope others treat you better than you did this OP.
</end rant>

If I was dumb enough to leave my keys in the car and it got stolen, I wouldn't post about it on the internet

3boystoys 07-25-2013 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by 02z06dave (Post 1584498231)
if i was dumb enough to leave my keys in the car and it got stolen, i wouldn't post about it on the internet

true dat!

AmericanVette 07-25-2013 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 02z06dave (Post 1584498231)
If I was dumb enough to leave my keys in the car and it got stolen, I wouldn't post about it on the internet

There is nothing dumb about leaving keys in your car. What is dumb is stealing.

Since our government has turned secular and pushed God and the church out of public spaces who is left to teach morals? Who teaches kids right from wrong? They come here and read if a person leaves a door unlocked "they're asking to have it stolen" and "its too easy to pass up"? WTF?

The two kids who did this came from a methadone clinic which means they are heroin addicts. This is sad. I wish they would have found a church instead of heroin needles.

Phanni 07-25-2013 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by AmericanVette (Post 1584498510)

Since our government has turned secular and pushed God and the church out of public spaces who is left to teach morals? Who teaches kids right from wrong? They come here and read if a person leaves a door unlocked "they're asking to have it stolen" and "its too easy to pass up"? WTF?

The two kids who did this came from a methadone clinic which means they are heroin addicts. This is sad. I wish they would have found a church instead of heroin needles.

Maybe you'd explain the intelligence of leaving the keys in your car, when you consider today's lack of respect for other's property.

leadfoot4 07-25-2013 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Phanni (Post 1584498756)
Maybe you'd explain the intelligence of leaving the keys in your car, when you consider today's lack of respect for other's property.

:thumbs:

Corvette_Ed 07-25-2013 12:55 PM

I would say both are about equal as far as wise decisions go. :crazy2:

Corvette_Ed 07-25-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by AmericanVette (Post 1584493778)
I can't believe people are busting OP's balls.

He had his car stolen. Have a heart. He did nothing wrong. It is his car and he can leave his keys in his car. What is next? If someone breaks a window to steal a radio is it the owners fault for not taking the radio out?

OP, I am sorry you suffered a stolen car. It's not your fault, not even 0.000001%. If the criminals were hiding then it means they were waiting to steal a car from someone.

We once lived in a country where most people left their front door unlocked. This is what happened to our nation as we turned secular and stopped honoring God in public. They blame the victim who had his car stolen. Unbelievable.

Do you leave your keys in your car every time you get out of it? No, of course you don't, because common sense would dictate that doing so would make the car an easy target for theft for no reason other than the fact that the keys are in it.

Making the car an easy target is 100% the fault of the person who does so by leaving the keys in the car. Nobody else left the keys there so no one else is to blame.

AmericanVette 07-25-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Phanni (Post 1584498756)

I expect people to leave my property alone unless they are invited to use it.

I lived in a neighborhood where every garage door was left open during the day. Not one person had anything stolen. Not one tool. Not one can of soda. We played baseball in the street and if a baseball rolled into someone open garage, we didn't go in the neighbors garage to get the baseball, we knocked on the door to ask permission to get it so the owner would know. That is how kids should be today. Ask instead of take.

Everyone on our block looked out for everyone. If we saw someone about to do something stupid we would stop them. Shame was a powerful motivator to not do evil things like steal.

Maybe this is why we need more George Zimmermans, so people can leave doors unlocked and keys in their cars and not worry about thugs stealing or damaging property.

Kids MUST learn respect. If they don't respect other peoples property then they will not respect their own. It is a horrible way to live. They will be shamed and outcasts in society. It is the job of everyone to educate them what is right and wrong and not make excuses. There are no excuses.

Hey OP, I have a question for you. I think I know how you will answer. If two respectful kids dressed appropriately asked if they could see your Z06 and sit in it, would you allow them? If these two guys wanted to see a Corvette so badly they could have asked. Even if OP said he was in a hurry, there would be someone who would say yes. I let many people drive my C6. I loved making other people smile. But if someone tried to take it without my permission I would never allow them back.

It all starts with your ethics and morals. If you know stealing is wrong then you will not tolerate it from others.

3boystoys 07-25-2013 01:16 PM

Hasn't the separation of Church and State been around almost from the beginning (as it should be)? How about the PARENTS that have KIDS teach them about MORALS? There will always be thieves, no way around it, you make it easy for them they WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE, law of the Jungle.

TLS_Addict 07-25-2013 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by lmadern (Post 1584498119)
And if we as a society blame the victim rather than the perpetrator then our society needs to change. Just because it's easy does not make it right and does not place the blame on the victim rather than the scumbag.

You probably believe that TV is to blame for the violence in our society too, right? :willy:

No, not at all. I think you missed the point and didnt read it as it was intended.

Perp needs to be dealt with but I also am in the camp that if you're caught taking property that doesnt belong to you we should take you out in the street and cut off your hand.

I never said it made it right. He made it easy for them to take his car by leaving the keys in. That is where my "easy" comment came from. Never did I say that makes it ok. If you are going to quote me and talk about my posts DO NOT add your own commentary, bits, and pieces to it to make your point stronger.

Originally Posted by lmadern (Post 1584498198)
Yes the person that shoots themselves with my unlocked gun is to blame. If it is my child of course I'm going to blame myself for not locking it up but the action of the shooting is fully that person's fault.

No victim ever asks for it. The may be foolish or just down right stupid, but it's never the victim's fault.

Correct. Victims dont ask for it but they do have some say in how easy of a target they make themselves.

TLS_Addict 07-25-2013 01:24 PM

Morals do not come from religion. Was it "morals" that lead to dungeons being created to torture those who oppose the church? Was it also "morals" that lead the church to cut the testicals off little boys so that they could sing high for the rest of their lives?

Morals come from being a good human being. The church opposes homosexuality (well, sort of. Part of the church seems to let it slide a lot :hide:) so does that mean those who are homosexuals because they go against the good book do not have morals? Absolutely not.

It comes down to being a good person, having good parents and knowing right from wrong and doing the right then when the time comes.

cjlaw73 07-25-2013 01:33 PM

2 pages of advice, and 7 pages of people bitching over who's fault it is.:thumbs:

C5 Gen is turning into OT.

AmericanVette 07-25-2013 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict (Post 1584499229)
Morals do not come from religion. Was it "morals" that lead to dungeons being created to torture those who oppose the church? Was it also "morals" that lead the church to cut the testicals off little boys so that they could sing high for the rest of their lives?

Morals come from being a good human being. The church opposes homosexuality (well, sort of. Part of the church seems to let it slide a lot :hide:) so does that mean those who are homosexuals because they go against the good book do not have morals? Absolutely not.

It comes down to being a good person, having good parents and knowing right from wrong and doing the right then when the time comes.

Since you brought it up.... yes that is all wrong. :lol:

You could leave your car unlocked, windows rolled down and keys in it at my church and nobody would touch your car. Can you say that for the rest of society, especially in places where people need God the most?

AmericanVette 07-25-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by cjlaw73 (Post 1584499331)
2 pages of advice, and 7 pages of people bitching over who's fault it is.:thumbs:

C5 Gen is turning into OT.

You're right.

OP, sorry your car was stolen and I am glad everything worked out with your insurance. :thumbs:

Sinister-one 07-25-2013 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by MBB (Post 1584480829)
I'm not a Texan...I just live here. Tejas is the original spelling of the place.

You are correct sir !!

02z06dave 07-25-2013 02:20 PM

I take it, you leave your keys in the car all the time?

I don't think it's right for someone to steal his car whether the keys were left or not and I personally would never know if someone left their keys because I don't mess with other people's things. But I do understand that we live in a messed up society today where people don't give a sh!t about others people's property and in this world, it is dumb to leave your keys in the car. It is naive to think leaving your keys in the car is not dumb

MBB 07-25-2013 02:25 PM

http://www.milbut.org/images/stewieHeadTilt.gif

Originally Posted by AmericanVette (Post 1584499073)
I expect people to leave my property alone unless they are invited to use it.

I lived in a neighborhood where every garage door was left open during the day. Not one person had anything stolen. Not one tool. Not one can of soda. We played baseball in the street and if a baseball rolled into someone open garage, we didn't go in the neighbors garage to get the baseball, we knocked on the door to ask permission to get it so the owner would know. That is how kids should be today. Ask instead of take.

Everyone on our block looked out for everyone. If we saw someone about to do something stupid we would stop them. Shame was a powerful motivator to not do evil things like steal.

Maybe this is why we need more George Zimmermans, so people can leave doors unlocked and keys in their cars and not worry about thugs stealing or damaging property.

Kids MUST learn respect. If they don't respect other peoples property then they will not respect their own. It is a horrible way to live. They will be shamed and outcasts in society. It is the job of everyone to educate them what is right and wrong and not make excuses. There are no excuses.

Hey OP, I have a question for you. I think I know how you will answer. If two respectful kids dressed appropriately asked if they could see your Z06 and sit in it, would you allow them? If these two guys wanted to see a Corvette so badly they could have asked. Even if OP said he was in a hurry, there would be someone who would say yes. I let many people drive my C6. I loved making other people smile. But if someone tried to take it without my permission I would never allow them back.

It all starts with your ethics and morals. If you know stealing is wrong then you will not tolerate it from others.

I have an idea....since the world isn't perfect and most of us don't live in the 50s (or Mayberry) you protect yourself, your loved ones, and your property at ALL times.

3boystoys 07-25-2013 02:34 PM

This is interesting:
http://blog.lawinfo.com/2011/06/22/i...0%99s-damages/
OR:
http://www.lauriemitchelllaw.com/blo...ys-in-the-car/