CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Stolen zo6 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3309081-stolen-zo6.html)

AmericanVette 07-24-2013 08:52 PM

I can't believe people are busting OP's balls.

He had his car stolen. Have a heart. He did nothing wrong. It is his car and he can leave his keys in his car. What is next? If someone breaks a window to steal a radio is it the owners fault for not taking the radio out?

OP, I am sorry you suffered a stolen car. It's not your fault, not even 0.000001%. If the criminals were hiding then it means they were waiting to steal a car from someone.

We once lived in a country where most people left their front door unlocked. This is what happened to our nation as we turned secular and stopped honoring God in public. They blame the victim who had his car stolen. Unbelievable.

AmericanVette 07-24-2013 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by windzy (Post 1584464544)
I was at a car dealership looking for a new work truck. Car was parked in front of the dealer in front of the cameras. I was out of the car for 5 min tops. The car was off but the keys were in it.

They found the two guy who stole it they tried to run. They were on drugs and found needles and drugs in there bags. They were junkies in there early 20 and have never been in a car with over 400 rwhp.

A little light hearted joke...

Too bad the car theives didn't turn on active handling. :lol:

:leaving:

strand rider 07-24-2013 10:28 PM

Man , a lot of anger in that one guy.

I will offer some slight insight into the principle of insurance so that he might comment on auto insurance in the future without such gross ignorance.

Insurance is not a reward , handout, scam, or free money . It is a service, designed only to prevent catastrophic loss. You pay to avoid such risk. The insurance provider collects payments to cover his understanding of the risk, plus a profit. In the event of loss, you are returned to your situation before the loss. No gain, no loss, just returned to as you were before the loss. As evidenced by the poster that had to recover diminished value on the improper payout for his loss.

A guy named Ben Franklin set up the first insurance group in America, you might have heard of him, old timer, liberal, five dollar bill. Wasn't a big fan of every man for himself, that guy.

I really enjoyed the time I spent in Texas and the people I met, but I do check the locations of posts with opinions that seem very angry or just very crazy. Call it vacation planning.

strand rider 07-24-2013 10:35 PM

poster boy for small penis self help group

Originally Posted by MBB (Post 1584480829)
I'm not a Texan...I just live here. Tejas is the original spelling of the place.

http://www.lobshots.com/wp-content/u...dy-4-Sandy.jpg

p.s. 'Merica

Plus he drives a vette. I am judged by the company I keep. sigh.

It is a pretty good picture. I would say that one tells a story that goes beyond a thousand words.

neutron82 07-25-2013 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by strand rider (Post 1584494752)
Man , a lot of anger in that one guy.

I will offer some slight insight into the principle of insurance so that he might comment on auto insurance in the future without such gross ignorance.

Insurance is not a reward , handout, scam, or free money . It is a service, designed only to prevent catastrophic loss. You pay to avoid such risk. The insurance provider collects payments to cover his understanding of the risk, plus a profit. In the event of loss, you are returned to your situation before the loss. No gain, no loss, just returned to as you were before the loss. As evidenced by the poster that had to recover diminished value on the improper payout for his loss.

A guy named Ben Franklin set up the first insurance group in America, you might have heard of him, old timer, liberal, five dollar bill. Wasn't a big fan of every man for himself, that guy.

I really enjoyed the time I spent in Texas and the people I met, but I do check the locations of posts with opinions that seem very angry or just very crazy. Call it vacation planning.

not trying to throw any more fuel on the fire and not speaking for myself but I know plenty of people in tx that feel the same way about the state you are from... no matter where you go you aren't going to get along and agree with everyone so I wouldn't consider that as a good tool for vacation planning... as I previously stated I do feel really bad for the op and it does not justify the thieves actions but it was a very bad decision on his part which I'm sure he now knows and will more than likely never do again

3boystoys 07-25-2013 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by AmericanVette (Post 1584493778)

He had his car stolen. Have a heart. He did nothing wrong. It is his car and he can leave his keys in his car. What is next? If someone breaks a window to steal a radio is it the owners fault for not taking the radio out?

OP, I am sorry you suffered a stolen car. It's not your fault, not even 0.000001%. If the criminals were hiding then it means they were waiting to steal a car from someone.

We once lived in a country where most people left their front door unlocked. This is what happened to our nation as we turned secular and stopped honoring God in public. They blame the victim who had his car stolen. Unbelievable.

That's why they put LOCKS on things, you leave your car/house unlocked, your the EASY TARGET. Leave your sports car unlocked with the keys in it is beyond foolish. Bet they would have moved on if the car was locked and no keys in it.

leadfoot4 07-25-2013 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by 3boystoys (Post 1584496044)
That's why they put LOCKS on things, you leave your car/house unlocked, your the EASY TARGET. Leave your sports car unlocked with the keys in it is beyond foolish. Bet they would have moved on if the car was locked and no keys in it.

:iagree:

.....but very few here seem to understand that.

TLS_Addict 07-25-2013 08:28 AM

We all have a heart in this. We feel bad for him because honestly, people like the ones who took his car have no place in society today.

Also, we all have said how we feel about leaving the keys in the car. Some do not agree, others do and some people are in the middle. We are never going to all agree on this. :)

For the OPs sake I am glad the insurance is going to be paying out. I am sure he wont make that mistake again going forward. Nobody can be trusted these days.

lmadern 07-25-2013 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 (Post 1584496613)

.....but very few here seem to understand that.

OMG people enough already. Everyone understands that Locks are there for a reason and that he made a mistake leaving his keys in his car.

All I've ever been trying to point out is that instead of making the OP feel worse about a mistake he made we should have just given him our support.

Everyone who said it's his fault cause he left his keys in the car have no sense of decency. Kicking a man when he's down and already feeling bad is just wrong. No reason to give the guy doubt that the insurance company won't pay out....... blah blah blah.

Next time think how you'd feel if you wrecked your car or had it stolen or anything detrimental to your happiness and just hope others treat you better than you did this OP.
</end rant>

Phanni 07-25-2013 08:49 AM

I'd think that removing your keys from your car every time you leave it would be considered "second nature" to most people. Even though I really do feel bad for the guy that lost his car, I have to believe that if he left those keys in his car while at a dealership, it certainly would not have been the first time he has done so. I can not imagine myself, my wife or anyone else that I know ever leaving the keys in an unattended vehicle, any more than I could imagine them leaving their home unlocked.

J/S:hide:

cjlaw73 07-25-2013 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MBB (Post 1584490321)
I had a similar incident with my car post hitting unavoidable debris on the Tollway. The adjuster told me I was covered including my clear bra.. When the shop called the insurance company for the supplement for the bra they told him it wasn't covered even though I purchased the car that way from the dealership because it is considered a customized part. M'kay it was a dealer option but whatever....

When I bought the policy I was told that while it didn't cover things like aftermarket parts or upgrades that I added it did cover everything that the vehicle came with from the dealership INCLUDING the clear bra, NPP, etc etc. I specifically asked about that part. Seemed like a smart idea to ask since the car was basically stock and I had decided to drop my custom parts insurance that I had from my last car until next year when I start cutting into my Vette more in terms of upgrades.

In the end it wasn't worth fighting and my shop made it work with the money they gave me and only a little out of pocket. I've since learned to itemize every part and spell out every circumstance if it isn't already spelled out and falls into the grey area like my clear bra did in writing.

I forget how my current insurance provider specifically works with mods. The adjuster that looked at my car did credit me another $1,000 or so when I showed him my headers and intake. Clearly not enough to cover new equipment, but that was fair enough at the time. I never really looked into their policy because currently I only have a few bolt-ons. I think if you provide receipts at the time you perform the mods they may cover it.

Scorch 07-25-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by windzy (Post 1584480923)
After going to the dealership and watching the video these guys were going to take my car from me regardless. They were in the car lot next door and saw me drive by. They hide behind a couple cars as I walked by to find the truck I was there to look at. I wasn't out of the car 1 min. before they got in it.

I didn't purposely leave the keys in the car, I never do. Gathering my other stuff it slipped my mind. MBB would it have made you feel better if they jumped me to get my keys when I was going back to my car?? They were on there way back from the methadone clinic 5 miles up the road.

Sorry for your loss, what a way to go.. What dealership did this happen in?

Vega$Vette 07-25-2013 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by AmericanVette (Post 1584493778)

I seems that a lot of guys here are saying he deserved to get is car stolen.:toetap:

That some of you think that by accidentally leaving his keys in the car he was "giving" it away.

Why? I mean if a guy NEVER locks his car and ALWAYS leaves his keys in it does NOT give anyone the right to take it.

I sometimes leave my keys in the car when I back it out to wash it then run in for a soda. Does that make me foolish? Do I deserve to have it stolen?

It's truly sad that our society has deteriorated to the point that it seems natural that a persons property unlocked is fair game and the taking of it is in some way justified.:crazy2:

3boystoys 07-25-2013 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette (Post 1584497212)

I seems that a lot of guys here are saying he deserved to get is car stolen.:toetap:

That some of you think that by accidentally leaving his keys in the car he was "giving" it away.

Why? I mean if a guy NEVER locks his car and ALWAYS leaves his keys in it does NOT give anyone the right to take it.

I sometimes leave my keys in the car when I back it out to wash it then run in for a soda. Does that make me foolish? Do I deserve to have it stolen?

It's truly sad that our society has deteriorated to the point that it seems natural that a persons property unlocked is fair game and the taking of it is in some way justified.:crazy2:

Well, look at it this way, if your a car thief, an unlocked car with the KEYS IN IT is a gift from heaven. A majority of the time they just move on to something easier (unless they are PROS which these guys didn't seem to be). You leave your car UNLOCKED with the KEYS in it, you get what you get PERIOD. Just the way the world works, adapt....

Vega$Vette 07-25-2013 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 3boystoys (Post 1584497325)
You leave your car UNLOCKED with the KEYS in it, you get what you get PERIOD. Just the way the world works, adapt....

And you're thinking "just the way the world works" is acceptable?

Sorry man I guess I'm just OLD School. You know "don't take anything that doesn't belong to you".

Morals - doing the right thing because it's right NOT because you might get caught.

I recognize the reality of today's society but I refuse to accept it. I take all reasonable precautions because I know the world is full of low life scumbags but I'm not going to live my life in paranoia or call a guy a fool or suggest he got what he "deserved" because some A-holes took something that didn't belong to them.:flag:

3boystoys 07-25-2013 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette (Post 1584497438)

Sorry man I guess I'm just OLD School. You know "don't take anything that doesn't belong to you".

Morals - doing the right thing because it's right NOT because you might get caught.

I recognize the reality of today's society but I refuse to accept it. I take all reasonable precautions because I know the world is full of low life scumbags but I'm not going to live my life in paranoia or call a guy a fool or suggest he got what he "deserved" because some A-holes took something that didn't belong to them.:flag:

Don't adapt then, it's call evolution. You going to leave your keys in an unlocked car you may get a nasty surprise one day-the way the world has ALWAYS worked.

lmadern 07-25-2013 10:21 AM

:party:

I'm with you.

3boystoys 07-25-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by lmadern (Post 1584497558)
:party:

I'm with you.

Doesn't change the reality.

TLS_Addict 07-25-2013 10:48 AM

I agree that you shouldnt take anything that doesnt belong to you. That has nothing to do with OLD school. It has to do with being a decent person.

That being said, just because peoples shouldnt do something (and we know they will regardless of it being wrong) we should be smart enough not to give them a free gift. In this case the keys were the icing on the cake, the wrapper on the present, the cheapest lap dance...etc People shouldnt do bad things but the reality is they do anyway and if we, as a society, make it easy for them to do bad things it encourages it more so than saying "I did it because its wrong to take it anyway." While that is true just because its wrong doesnt mean people wont do it.

lmadern 07-25-2013 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict (Post 1584497804)
... and if we, as a society, make it easy for them to do bad things it encourages it more so than saying "I did it because its wrong to take it anyway." While that is true just because its wrong doesnt mean people wont do it.

And if we as a society blame the victim rather than the perpetrator then our society needs to change. Just because it's easy does not make it right and does not place the blame on the victim rather than the scumbag.

You probably believe that TV is to blame for the violence in our society too, right? :willy: