CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   First Impression: new Stingray looks like a Ferrari! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3308919-first-impression-new-stingray-looks-like-a-ferrari.html)

Ching Ho 07-21-2013 01:41 AM

First Impression: new Stingray looks like a Ferrari!

3 Attachment(s)
I believe the first impression for the general population will be that the new Stingray looks like a design evolution of a Ferrari. Based on the comparison photos below, they are very similar and share the same stylistic components. IMHO, the main difference, as GM even states, is "taking a world-class sports car and bringing it back to the gym"...it's that leaner, meaner American definition that ultimately sets them apart.

Let me speculate that the main value add for first time Corvette owners like myself - and there will be many of us - is that you essentially get a Ferrari (or insert any $100K+ brand here) for 1/5 the price. Don't get me wrong, I understand world class sports cars inherently all borrow designs from one another and am not discounting the well deserved brand heritage and driving distinctions of both Corvette and Ferrari.

For many like me, it comes down to this rhetorical question - should I spend $200K more for something that the general populace (and probably most women, when badges removed) can't tell apart on first impression? If aliens flew down to Earth, how would they justify spending five times the amount for a Ferrari next to a Stingray that looks and performs almost the same? Rhetorical because for any sensible person, the answer should probably be a resounding no, that the subjective value of a name brand by itself just isn't worth the large price difference against its competitors.

The new Stingray really is the very best car bargain in this segment and yes, even at MSRP. And in the event that you feel the strong desire to express a flaming counterargument, I offer you a photo of some hot girlies.

Sin City 07-21-2013 04:28 AM

Eh..... no.

7thgeneration 07-21-2013 06:59 AM

Nope. The rear of the Ferrari is really, really bad. :ack:

Sin City 07-21-2013 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 5thgeneration (Post 1584461218)
Nope. The rear of the Ferrari is really, really bad. :ack:

er.....no.

Daekwan06 07-21-2013 07:23 AM

Yeah because theres no way the C7 looks like a updated C6:

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...psdd165b93.jpg

JerriVette 07-21-2013 07:34 AM

Corvettes and front engine ferraris have a long standing relationship of comparable styling language.

I agree the Ferrari F12 and the c7 have sImiliar style. It's interesting especially since they are both about to come to market at the same time.

I like the f12 so the fact that the c7 shares the "look" is cool.

Ed Welburns team did an amazing job with the c7.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your site. What's with the 3 girls wearing headbands and drinking champagne ?

lt4obsesses 07-21-2013 09:07 AM

Wow, this has never been discussed on this forum before...:lol:

Well, yes they are both front engine, rear drive, sport coupes with rear hatches. Designed for aerodynimics and low center of gravity, with a wide track and wheels pushed out to the corners. So they will share the same major architecture characteristics of just about all the front engine/rwd sport coupes in this segment.

...next?

Paulchristian 07-21-2013 09:14 AM

Modern vettes have always looked Ferrari-ish ...nothing new here. I will say that the proportions and the roof line that extends all the way back to the rear of the C7 is very Ferrari F12 like when you look at profile of the car

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...sdx73cPy1UesDN

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...ps195efb84.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l8...ps6abcff51.jpg

Sin City 07-21-2013 09:19 AM

But the cars look nothing alike when seen in person.

The F12 is the most elegant Ferrari GT in production today.

The Corvette is the sexiest GT made in America today.

That's about as close as they get to one another.

Shaka 07-21-2013 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1584461812)
Modern vettes have always looked Ferrari-ish ...nothing new here. I will say that the proportions and the roof line that extends all the way back to the rear of the C7 is very Ferrari F12 like when you look at profile of the car

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...pt-Carside.jpg

There are design cues that are shared between the two marques.

The most important distinction between the two latest examples, is that the rear fender extends to the front of the door on the C7. The 68 charger was so far ahead of it's time with this powerful feature for a front engined car. The McLaren Can Am cars introduced these proportions a decade before the Charger, but they were mid engined cars. The C5 also had this feature.
To my mind, this keeps front engined Ferraris and Aston Martins dated. The Cobra GT and Ferrari 250 GTO designs are dead.
Long live the 68 Charger.
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...psd050c24c.jpg
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/...psb8d1c618.jpg

Even had four round lights like ferraris have. Just can't get used to the back of the C7. Hideous. Great for the aftermarket boys.

michaelinmech 07-21-2013 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1584461759)
Wow, this has never been discussed on this forum before...:lol:

^ It's been at least 24 hours !! :iagree:

The Clevite Kid 07-21-2013 11:00 AM

what goes around comes around . . .

. . . and when the C6 with the first exposed headlights in 43 years appeared, many compared IT to a Ferrari . . . .

z edge 07-21-2013 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584461849)
But the cars look nothing alike when seen in person.

The F12 is the most elegant Ferrari GT in production today.

The Corvette is the sexiest GT made in America today.

That's about as close as they get to one another.

The F12 is the best looking Ferrari since the Testarossa - imho

Paulchristian 07-21-2013 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by z edge (Post 1584462611)
The F12 is the best looking Ferrari since the Testarossa - imho

I disagree. I believe the 599 is far better looking.

1) Italia
2) 599
3) F355

gthal 07-21-2013 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1584462655)

1) Italia
2) 599
3) F355

I agree on the 458... it is #1 for me and the rest are way behind :D

C7 101 car 07-21-2013 12:31 PM

I like the look of the C7 better, it's lower and sleeker looking. :thumbs:

What I do like Much better on the F12 is the higher profile rear tires. :thumbs:

:chevy

JoesC5 07-21-2013 12:41 PM

Bob buys a new Corvette and removes the badges. Jim buys a new Ferrari and removes the badges.

At the water cooler, Helen tells Jane that bob has a new Corvette and that Jim has a new Ferrari. Without walking to the parking lot and looking at the two cars, which car gets Jane wet?

mpuzach 07-21-2013 12:46 PM

I'm buying a C7 because I like the car. I couldn't care less whether or not other people can or can't tell it from something else. Anyone who buys a car based on what others think of it is nuts.

C6-Stingray 07-21-2013 02:05 PM

There have always been similarities between the two GM also did it with the C4 & the ferrari 308

C7 4 Me 07-21-2013 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1584461305)

They share many of the same styling cues (obviously they're going to do that as designers....) but let's be honest. That car on the bottom looks like an old beater by comparison. "Outdated" only begins to describe how that c6 on the bottom looks.

Also, in this comparison, it brings to mind how humorous it is to see some of the c6 guys complain that the c7 design is too busy (and then they blame it on vents etc). If you look at that c6, there is a LOT going on, and almost none of it (including those rims, gills, reflectors/lights) pull together as a cohesive design. The c7 looks, by contrast, to have one smooth and flowing design thought (although if we could see the rear, I could admit that the design idea departs the smooth round concepts of the side and front a bit)

I think a comparison of the coupe fleshes this out even more - with the rear of the cabin extending now all the way to the back, and the rounded rear of the car. It departs from that old looking door-wedge shape that the rear of the c6 carries.

z edge 07-21-2013 02:43 PM

1) Italia
2) 599
3) F355

For me its:

1) F12
2) 458 Italia
3) 84-86 GTO
4) Testarossa or 512 TR
5) 512 BB
6) 328 / 308
7) 599
8) Dino
9) F430
10) F355

I had forgotten about the Italia in my previous comments, which would qualify it as the best F car since the TR - imho - though I like the F12 better. I also like the LaFerrari, though I didn't put it on my list, and I also HATE the FF.

z edge 07-21-2013 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me (Post 1584463976)
They share many of the same styling cues (obviously they're going to do that as designers....) but let's be honest. That car on the bottom looks like an old beater by comparison. "Outdated" only begins to describe how that c6 on the bottom looks.

Also, in this comparison, it brings to mind how humorous it is to see some of the c6 guys complain that the c7 design is too busy (and then they blame it on vents etc). If you look at that c6, there is a LOT going on, and almost none of it (including those rims, gills, reflectors/lights) pull together as a cohesive design. The c7 looks, by contrast, to have one smooth and flowing design thought (although if we could see the rear, I could admit that the design idea departs the smooth round concepts of the side and front a bit)

I think a comparison of the coupe fleshes this out even more - with the rear of the cabin extending now all the way to the back, and the rounded rear of the car. It departs from that old looking door-wedge shape that the rear of the c6 carries.

"old beater" seriously? :crazy:

The Clevite Kid 07-21-2013 02:56 PM

But if the external mirror on the C6 was rotated back to its proper position, then they would be identical :rofl: !!

Shaka 07-21-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Clevite Kid (Post 1584464164)
But if the external mirror on the C6 was rotated back to its proper position, then they would be identical :rofl: !!

That's true but don't forget about the round gas cap?

Vette just beat Viper in Canada.

Ching Ho 07-21-2013 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1584461352)
Corvettes and front engine ferraris have a long standing relationship of comparable styling language.

I agree the Ferrari F12 and the c7 have sImiliar style. It's interesting especially since they are both about to come to market at the same time.

I like the f12 so the fact that the c7 shares the "look" is cool.

Ed Welburns team did an amazing job with the c7.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your site. What's with the 3 girls wearing headbands and drinking champagne ?

My muses, we go out often. One of them's actually a chart-topping jazz singer, youtube "Thrift Shop Vintage"...

Ching Ho 07-21-2013 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by C7 101 car (Post 1584463165)
I like the look of the C7 better, it's lower and sleeker looking. :thumbs:

What I do like Much better on the F12 is the higher profile rear tires. :thumbs:

:chevy

Agreed. For me the only (albeit minor) complaint is the Torch Red paint is a little bit too orange, a tad bit more red would be perfect!

Ching Ho 07-21-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1584463256)
Bob buys a new Corvette and removes the badges. Jim buys a new Ferrari and removes the badges.

At the water cooler, Helen tells Jane that bob has a new Corvette and that Jim has a new Ferrari. Without walking to the parking lot and looking at the two cars, which car gets Jane wet?

Well said!

Sin City 07-21-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by z edge (Post 1584464088)
For me its:

1) F12 (
2) 458 Italia
3) 84-86 GTO
4) Testarossa or 512 TR
5) 512 BB
6) 328 / 308
7) 599
8) Dino
9) F430
10) F355

I had forgotten about the Italia in my previous comments, which would qualify it as the best F car since the TR - imho - though I like the F12 better. I also like the LaFerrari, though I didn't put it on my list, and I also HATE the FF.

1) F12 (on the list for one. Test drove it. Crazy fast. Still debating if I should buy. Depreciation is a worry.)
2) 458 Italia (had one and a spider, Fast)
3) 84-86 GTO (what the 308 should have looked like --- never had one)
4) Testarossa or 512 TR (meh... never got into side strakes. I've driven several. Too complicated, interior disappoints)
5) 512 BB (trying to buy one to restore. Last of the carbed 12's)
6) 328 / 308 (had a 308 gtb and gts -- OK. Good toss-able cars. 328 -- much better inside and out. AC actually works sort of)
7) 599 (never did it for me)
8) Dino (had one 15 years. Fun but slow)
9) F430 (had a spider. Probably my favorite all around sports car)
10) F355 (wouldn't touch one for the world)

You have to see the FF in person to really judge it. Is it my favorite? No, not even close. But it's a lot better looking than most would give it credit for.

And, the 550 Maranello is also a very handsome car. Should be on this list. :)

lt4obsesses 07-21-2013 05:28 PM

Actually, the the whole Corvette/Ferrari thing has been going on since at least the design of the C4...Ferrari is the reason we have targa tops, for better or worse.

VETTE-NV 07-21-2013 05:53 PM

Is it really necessary to bash the C6? It's still a stunning car and always will be.....but since you like to play that game, here you go:

That pic of the C7 is shot with a wide angle lens which make the profile, it's best angle, look even better. The rest of the car is a mess, with a rear end that look like a sixth grade class was given the assignment to design either a Batmobile or a goofy hot wheels car.

There....happy now? :rofl:

rob62 07-21-2013 05:53 PM

you were honest with your first sentence. After that :nono:

OnPoint 07-21-2013 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1584464992)
1) F12 (on the list for one. Test drove it. Crazy fast. Still debating if I should buy. Depreciation is a worry.)
2) 458 Italia (had one and a spider, Fast)
3) 84-86 GTO (what the 308 should have looked like --- never had one)

And, the 550 Maranello is also a very handsome car. Should be on this list. :)

Those top three (and your suggested add of the 550) are the best all-time IMO.

The F12 IMO is the top sports car on the planet to own and drive. You should get one. And start a trend of those cars actually getting driven instead of just being garage floor art. What a machine.

This thread has been helpful. If I get a 7 it's going to be TR. Great color on the 7.

ZL-1 07-21-2013 06:20 PM

Your two vert pictures bring up something that's been mentioned here before:

A C7 coupe in a light or bright color shows all that is new and exciting about the C7; if you don't like all the changes and want a traditional looking Vette get a vert and get a dark color

JerriVette 07-21-2013 06:53 PM

I dig my c6 yet the fast angles of the c7 really give it a new look.

For example the front side scoop is really creating motion even while the car is sitting still.

The C6 always looked great to me and it still does yet the fluidity (SP) of the C7 is exciting.

The angled front overhang design on leading edge of the front bumper is also very exciting.

We're talking style as we discuss the c7 to the C6.

The baskethandle on the b pillar of the c6 does offer less sleekness compared to the new design of the hidden b pillar of the c7.

I definitely admire the new c7 front lights and the vents on the rear of the C7 make a statement while the four tail lights are interesting as well.

I like my c6 design...while the c7 is much more modern.

9 years for the c6 has been a good long run and the car is still attractive.

I do acknowledge the newness of the C7 does play a part although I feel the design itself is well done and will be timeless as are most corvettes.

JMO

C7 4 Me 07-21-2013 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1584465312)
Is it really necessary to bash the C6? It's still a stunning car and always will be.....but since you like to play that game, here you go:

That pic of the C7 is shot with a wide angle lens which make the profile, it's best angle, look even better. The rest of the car is a mess, with a rear end that look like a sixth grade class was given the assignment to design either a Batmobile or a goofy hot wheels car.

There....happy now? :rofl:

Happy? No, because I think you missed the mark by a wide-margin, but it's okay. Not really interested in a e-peen contest about one car over the other. The c6 doesn't concern me. See below, as these remarks apply to you as well.

Originally Posted by rob62 (Post 1584465315)
you were honest with your first sentence. After that :nono:

I'll start by apologizing for the hyperbole. No, the c6 doesn't look like an "old beater" - I was wrong on that. There's nothing beater about it, it's in fine condition. But it does look "old."

C6's aren't visually appealing to me. Never really had a thing for them, and I never really considered them a head-turner. C7's, on the other hand, provide that spark.

It's a personal preference thing. No need for any anger or emotions over it, and I to extent I dissed on one of your cars with my misplaced hyperbole earlier, I apologize. I hope you enjoy them.

BlueOx 07-21-2013 07:25 PM

Frankly, I just don't see how anyone can look at these two cars and say the C7 is busier than that C6 GS. The gills, the brake air scoops, the marker lights, and the wheels are all 'busier' on the C6.

Beyond that is just whether you have 'cooled' to the C6's look vs the C7's look or not. Both look great (ok, maybe not the GS's gills :D) and are great examples of the Corvette.

C7 4 Me 07-21-2013 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584466060)
Frankly, I just don't see how anyone can look at these two cars and say the C7 is busier than that C6 GS. The gills, the brake air scoops, the marker lights, and the wheels are all 'busier' on the C6.

Exactly, very well put.

Freak3150 07-21-2013 07:38 PM

Neither. The price tag does that.

Paulchristian 07-21-2013 07:52 PM

I'm sorry but I just do not understand all the talk about the C6 looking "dated" compared to the C7. It's simply just new to your eyes. You haven't seen one. In contrast, you have been looking at the C6 for 9 years. As time passes, you will begin to look at the two designs as simply being different; similar to how you view the C1 versus the C2 now.

C7 4 Me 07-21-2013 07:54 PM

I think to me, the design cues just look old school. Lots of straight edges. Lots of today's designs, including supercars or not, are about sexy curves etc. Over the years, they added to the c6 it to try and make it look updated (gills etc??) - but i think that just makes it look busy, and somewhat old school. Again, just my opinion.

I got to sit in a new 427 today which, on the other hand, looked okay. The interior was certainly dated.

dcbingaman 07-21-2013 07:57 PM

Gents, interesting article in the new BBC Top Gear Special Edition "Supercars 2013". Nice article on the new Stingray, but on pg. 027, they note the striking similarity between the Ferrari 599 Fiorino GTO version, and the C7 in a sidebar titled "Shape Swap". They note the differences as "a Yankee bayonet to an Italian brushstroke". Since, I believe, the 599 is the best looking front engine Ferrari since the 275 GTB/4, this is high praise.

I think the C6 is beautiful car, improving on the C5 by reducing bulk and adding definition to the car's classic coupe shape. The C7 builds on the C6 AND the 599, but has enough new twists to make it unique. Ed Wellburn's team deserves a lot of credit, even if they took a big risk with the aft-end. Personally I like the 4 round taillights, but nothing lasts forever...the new taillights are growing on me, and the LED treatments are pretty cool in the pictures I've seen. Can't wait to see one in the flesh....of course the LEDs could have been applied to a set of round taillights also, with good effect.

Interestingly, the new F12 retains the 599's classic wide-spaced single round taillights which go all the way back to the 250 GTO, but change everything else - for the worse in my opinion. The C7 changed everything for the better. I love it.

BlueOx 07-21-2013 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1584466286)
I'm sorry but I just do not understand all the talk about the C6 looking "dated" compared to the C7. It's simply just new to your eyes. You haven't seen one. In contrast, you have been looking at the C6 for 9 years. As time passes, you will begin to look at the two designs as simply being different; similar to how you view the C1 versus the C2 now.

Seeing the new is exactly how the old looks 'dated'. Thats how it works.

BTW, the C1 has always looked older than the C2 to me. C1 is much more '50s.

I like both the C6 and the C7 designs. BUT, I see the C7 as more than just new. I see it as a lot better. I still like my '05 vert and I will be driving and enjoying it for at least a year or two while I search for my lightly used C7.:thumbs:

Paulchristian 07-21-2013 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584466367)
Seeing the new is exactly how the old looks 'dated'. Thats how it works.

BTW, the C1 has always looked older than the C2 to me. C1 is much more '50s.

I like both the C6 and the C7 designs. BUT, I see the C7 as more than just new. I see it as a lot better. I still like my '05 vert and I will be driving and enjoying it for at least a year or two while I search for my lightly used C7.:thumbs:

We will have to agree to disagree on this one OX. I can debate this with you all night.

Corvette86 07-21-2013 08:10 PM

Interesting!

C7 4 Me 07-21-2013 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Paulchristian (Post 1584466386)
We will have to agree to disagree on this one OX. I can debate this with you all night.

"Better" can be debated all night, for sure. However, there isn't much of a debate when it comes to "the c6 looks old, the c7 looks new." For one, it's just definitionally correct - as one is the new model.

Of course, that's not what we're talking about though. We're talking about design and design cues. I think it's pretty inarguable that the c6 in that picture looks outdated from a design standpoint. Modern design cues are about blended, sexy curves. The c7 is a good example of that - with the exception of the corvette's trademark blocky rear-end, but even that has been rounded and smoothed on the c7. The c6, on the other hand, is a bunch of hard and straight edges. Putting gills and other wingdings on it doesn't hide that.

While beauty/better is in the eye of the beholder, and gents can agree to disagree on that stuff, I think it's pretty safely "inarguable" that the c7 design is much more modern. In that sense, there's really nothing to debate when it comes to old vs new.

VETTE-NV 07-21-2013 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me (Post 1584465808)
Happy? No, because I think you missed the mark by a wide-margin, but it's okay. Not really interested in a e-peen contest about one car over the other. The c6 doesn't concern me.

Really??:rofl::rofl: For a car that doesn't concern you, you've made several posts discussing it in detail. Who are you trying to convince that your armchair design theories are the $hit.....yourself or others? No one asked for your opinion so it's obviously quite important to you that everyone knows you've proclaimed that the C6 is outdated, old, or.....blah, blah blah.

I like the C6 and the C7. It's easy to bash either one, but totally unnecessary unless you're someone who has an axe to grind. Both are great cars and always will be (of course I'm assuming this about the C7 since they haven't sold any yet). Neither car is a cure for cancer so chill out and try enjoy the fact that cars of this type are a luxury and we're lucky they're still being built. Being condescending to those who enjoy a car that is not of your choice says quite a bit about you.

C7 4 Me 07-21-2013 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1584467764)
Really??:rofl::rofl: For a car that doesn't concern you, you've made several posts discussing it in detail. Who are you trying to convince that your armchair design theories are the $hit.....yourself or others? No one asked for your opinion so it's obviously quite important to you that everyone knows you've proclaimed that the C6 is outdated, old, or.....blah, blah blah.

Wow really? My 3 or so posts in this thread are "several posts discussing it in detail" in which im "trying to convince that my armchair design theories are th $hit" and so on?

You're coming off as super angry, and it's unwarranted. They're both just cars. The C7 is a new car, and it looks new. It follows modern design trends. The C6 is old, and it looks old. It does not follow many of the more modern design trends. It's easy to admit.

Neither car is a cure for cancer so chill out and try enjoy the fact that cars of this type are a luxury and we're lucky they're still being built.

Unsure why you're telling me to chill out. You're the one getting worked up. All I've done is said one car looks old, and because it's a car that you happen to like, you're acting offended. Not really a big deal to me - I'm not emotionally involved in the same way apparently.

Being condescending to those who enjoy a car that is not of your choice says quite a bit about you.

Don't be silly. Go up a couple posts and see I admitted I was wrong, used too much hyperbole in my initial post, and apologized and retracted my statement. But here you are, pontificated angrily about nothing really. The C6 is an old model. It shows. That, however, doesn't mean it's the equivalent of dog droppings (even if I admit that it does nothing for me). Is it really that infuriating? No need to get all personal about it.

VETTE-NV 07-22-2013 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me (Post 1584468011)
Wow really? My 3 or so posts in this thread are "several posts discussing it in detail" in which im "trying to convince that my armchair design theories are th $hit" and so on?

You're coming off as super angry, and it's unwarranted. They're both just cars. The C7 is a new car, and it looks new. It follows modern design trends. The C6 is old, and it looks old. It does not follow many of the more modern design trends. It's easy to admit.

Unsure why you're telling me to chill out. You're the one getting worked up. All I've done is said one car looks old, and because it's a car that you happen to like, you're acting offended. Not really a big deal to me - I'm not emotionally involved in the same way apparently.

Don't be silly. Go up a couple posts and see I admitted I was wrong, used too much hyperbole in my initial post, and apologized and retracted my statement. But here you are, pontificated angrily about nothing really. The C6 is an old model. It shows. That, however, doesn't mean it's the equivalent of dog droppings (even if I admit that it does nothing for me). Is it really that infuriating? No need to get all personal about it.

Whatever......

C7 4 Me 07-22-2013 01:37 AM

Nice, taking your ball and going home. No problem, I'm somehow a troll because I prefer the c7 to a car that isn't the c7, and I'm on a c7 forum. Imagine that! (unsure what you're looking for here)

User 2623 07-22-2013 02:37 AM

Indeed yes, but it also resembles the Lotus Elite Concept you posted up the other day. So I would think the Ferrari 599 is the most dominant influence and how it associates to the F12, as well the Nissan GTR having contributed to the C7 design.

It seems this is the shape of things to come, as the proposed new design language most sports car manufacturers will be evaluating.

rstrait 07-22-2013 07:17 AM

Plenty of room for controversy over the rear of both these cars. Looking at the rear of the Ferrari the first thing I thought of the center portion was that it resembled a "woman part." Why wasn't there an uproar about this from the Ferrari faithful?

rgamache 07-22-2013 07:30 AM

All high end sports cars must bear resemblance to each other due to aerodynamic considerations.

Sin City 07-22-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by rgamache (Post 1584469062)
All high end sports cars must bear resemblance to each other due to aerodynamic considerations.

Very true. Then add in engine location, gearbox location, seating configuration, and safety regulations.

rpanesar 07-22-2013 10:40 AM

O/P :crazy2:

PDCjonny 07-22-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ching Ho (Post 1584460868)
Let me speculate that the main value add for first time Corvette owners like myself - and there will be many of us - is that you essentially get a Ferrari (or insert any $100K+ brand here) for 1/5 the price.

No, you're not getting a Ferrari at 1/5th price.
You sound like every wannabe Lamborghini owner who gets an R8 and tells everyone within earshot it's the "same" as a Lambo.
Only your analogy is even more ridiculous.
It's not. You know it, everyone who knows cars knows it and everyone at the car show knows it. But if it helps you sleep better....

VETTE-NV 07-22-2013 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me (Post 1584468563)
Nice, taking your ball and going home. No problem, I'm somehow a troll because I prefer the c7 to a car that isn't the c7, and I'm on a c7 forum. Imagine that! (unsure what you're looking for here)

Never said you were a troll. That GIF is of a pinhead.:thumbs:

Philr56 07-22-2013 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by RedThunderbolt (Post 1584463377)
LOL Not even "Updated" Just slightly different IMO. They almost look identical.

Both are beautiful, but once you open the door, the differences are glaringly obvious.

C7 4 Me 07-22-2013 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1584471212)
Never said you were a troll. That GIF is of a pinhead.:thumbs:

Oh, well that changes everything!

OnPoint 07-22-2013 02:43 PM

The torch red on the 7 doesn't seem to have any more orange in it than the red on the F12. Maybe it's the lighting, but the 7 seems pretty "red" in those pics.

SaberD 07-22-2013 03:03 PM

Saw one at Livernois and South blvd Saturday while sitting at the stop light. My friend in the car said whoa look at that Ferrari... err what is that?! I had to explain it was the new vette. :cool:

VETTE-NV 07-22-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me (Post 1584471964)
Oh, well that changes everything!

:rofl::rofl::thumbs:

Ching Ho 07-22-2013 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by PDCjonny (Post 1584470944)
No, you're not getting a Ferrari at 1/5th price.
You sound like every wannabe Lamborghini owner who gets an R8 and tells everyone within earshot it's the "same" as a Lambo.
Only your analogy is even more ridiculous.
It's not. You know it, everyone who knows cars knows it and everyone at the car show knows it. But if it helps you sleep better....

I can afford both just fine, and yes I've cross-shopped the Gallardo versus Italia versus LFA and still have enough to retire at 32. My point is - it'd be an absolute waste of money. I placed my deposit on the Stingray because there now exists a suitable option that is close enough, both in design and performance. It's not just me - many Ferrari owners in the Ferrari forum have deposits on Stingrays, corroborating my argument. The Stingray will be their daily driver, the Ferrari their garage queen & weekend tourer.

In NYC there's a joint that sell a $1,000 burger (caviar, gold leaf, truffles) and a few that sell $100 burgers. I'm sure the $1,000 burger is delicious but is the marginal difference worth $990? Not a chance.

~Stingray 07-22-2013 11:11 PM

The spoiler looks out of place on the convertible.

lt4obsesses 07-22-2013 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ching Ho (Post 1584476158)
I can afford both just fine. My point is - it'd be a waste of money.

Assuming affordability of anything you wanted...

If you're looking for the real attention getter, high reving sports car, then the Ferrari is for you. They are rare, and rarely seen. Lots of power and high revs, very exoctic and will draw a crowd everywhere you go.

The Corvette will offer you great performance that you can enjoy any time you want. It will get looks, and thumbs ups, but not so much draw crowds. You can drive it everyday, anywhere you want with minimal interference from 'lookie loos'. The fact that you can use it everyday, get good performance and styling, and need repairs relatively infrequently and rather cheap when you do, the Corvette is indeed a great value.

But again, it's all about what you're looking for from the car.

Ching Ho 07-22-2013 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1584477197)

If you're looking for the real attention getter, high reving sports car, then the Ferrari is for you. They are rare, and rarely seen. Lots of power and high revs, very exoctic and will draw a crowd everywhere you go.

Not necessarily true. My friend lent me his F430 and around NYC there's not as much attention as you'd expect. It's often confused for a Corvette, especially by women. The Lambo is more distinctive.

lt4obsesses 07-23-2013 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ching Ho (Post 1584477333)
Not necessarily true. My friend lent me his F430 and around NYC there's not as much attention as you'd expect. It's often confused for a Corvette, especially by women. The Lambo is more distinctive.

Well, NYC, LA, Miami and such, maybe because there's more exotics around...but I'm sure your get my point.

JerriVette 07-23-2013 07:44 AM

I'm very interested in seeing the new corvette c7 up against the Ferrari 458, 599 or F12......from a looks perspective....

Lamborghini and R8 as well....

The c6 is cool yet its not quite as contemporary as the exotics in a looks department. I look forward to seeing the c7 next to the Italian exotics.

Should be interesting.

PDCjonny 07-23-2013 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ching Ho (Post 1584476158)
I can afford both just fine, and yes I've cross-shopped the Gallardo versus Italia versus LFA and still have enough to retire at 32. My point is - it'd be an absolute waste of money. I placed my deposit on the Stingray because there now exists a suitable option that is close enough, both in design and performance. It's not just me - many Ferrari owners in the Ferrari forum have deposits on Stingrays, corroborating my argument. The Stingray will be their daily driver, the Ferrari their garage queen & weekend tourer.

In NYC there's a joint that sell a $1,000 burger (caviar, gold leaf, truffles) and a few that sell $100 burgers. I'm sure the $1,000 burger is delicious but is the marginal difference worth $990? Not a chance.

Yeah, you cross shopped Lambo's and Ferrari's but ended up with a 60K Corvette. LOL.
You sound like every wannabe exotic owner in the "dreamers" section of the exotic forums.
It's a wonder they sell any exotics with this stiff competition from GM. :D

JerriVette 07-23-2013 07:56 AM

What does a preowned early gallardo go for?100 grand?120.?

I don't shop them as the maintenance and repairs scare the crap out of me. I like the oil change and tire replacement only during the first 100k miles of corvette ownership.

If this gentleman says he was looking its entirely possible. I see a lot of ferraris, maseratis and Audi r8s.....for some reason lamborghinis are rarer around here....

911 s are a dime a dozen......so common its nuts....

Corvettes are actually rare around the ny metro area.....or at least around here.

I expect that that to continually evolve. Since the c5 and then the c6 more and more corvettes are showing up...

05dsom 07-23-2013 09:27 AM

I disagree. I believe the 599 GTO is far better looking.

1) Italia
2) 599 GTO
3) F355

fixed.

OnPoint 07-23-2013 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by PDCjonny (Post 1584478539)
Yeah, you cross shopped Lambo's and Ferrari's but ended up with a 60K Corvette. LOL.
You sound like every wannabe exotic owner in the "dreamers" section of the exotic forums.

You know Ching Ho?

Ching Ho 07-23-2013 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1584478581)
What does a preowned early gallardo go for?100 grand?120.?

I don't shop them as the maintenance and repairs scare the crap out of me. I like the oil change and tire replacement only during the first 100k miles of corvette ownership.

If this gentleman says he was looking its entirely possible. I see a lot of ferraris, maseratis and Audi r8s.....for some reason lamborghinis are rarer around here....

911 s are a dime a dozen......so common its nuts....

Corvettes are actually rare around the ny metro area.....or at least around here.

I expect that that to continually evolve. Since the c5 and then the c6 more and more corvettes are showing up...

So true. A new Corvette is just as rare in NYC metro. Porsche's are everywhere...

Sometimes I just shake my head and double face palm on how many don't understand the value of money and compound interest. The negative savings rate in America is astounding, with many spending 50%+ or even going into full debt to pay for a car. I would never spend more than 10% of my savings on a rapidly depreciating and high maintenance "exotic" - I can pay full cash on the Stingray, get a Ferrari-equivalent, and make that back on investment interest in less than a year.

@PDCjonny Just because I can afford a Ferrari, boat, and plane does not make it a wise choice.

Ching Ho 07-23-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1584479545)
You know Ching Ho?

He hasn't been to the OT threads yet! Let him vent...

OnPoint 07-23-2013 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ching Ho (Post 1584479712)
He hasn't been to the OT threads yet! Let him vent...

Yeah - that's what I was guessing as well.

By the way, welcome aboard. :thumbs:

Ching Ho 07-23-2013 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1584479880)
Yeah - that's what I was guessing as well.

By the way, welcome aboard. :thumbs:

Thank you, kind sir. Now get your ass over to OT and contribute to my GF/wife/ex photo thread!

OnPoint 07-23-2013 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ching Ho (Post 1584480015)
Thank you, kind sir. Now get your ass over to OT and contribute to my GF/wife/ex photo thread!

:rofl:

I've got some good ones; have to check what I have to see if IDs can be protected.

:rock:

Ching Ho 07-23-2013 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1584480048)
:rofl:

I've got some good ones; have to check what I have to see if IDs can be protected.

:rock:

Blur the face!

sam90lx 07-23-2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by PDCjonny (Post 1584478539)

Right...C7 section should be called the Baller section!

PDCjonny 07-23-2013 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ching Ho (Post 1584479670)
I can pay full cash on the Stingray, get a Ferrari-equivalent, and make that back on investment interest in less than a year.

Well at least you're not delusional. Ferrari equivelent. A C7. :D
On the bright side within a year you can park your Ferrari-light at the car show amidst the other 50 of them.
And congratulate each other on saving the money that poor schlub in the 458 spent.

He shoulda listened to you.

The Clevite Kid 07-23-2013 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1584477726)
Well, NYC, LA, Miami and such, maybe because there's more exotics around...but I'm sure your get my point.

Correct about Miami - lots of exotics on the road year-round.

2fastnow 11-23-2016 05:21 AM

I'm new to this forum....WOW lots of knife throwing here!! Seriously the new C7 copied that Ferrari to a T. Like the Ford Granada copied the Mercedes back when...That's why the designers chopped up the rear bumper to disguise their robbery along with their front end stretch of the lights and all.
That said they created something more muscular, more wilder as the American aggressive soul personality written all over it. To me it looks fantastic! Wider, lower more powerful looking then the Ferrari.

davidtcpa 11-23-2016 07:14 AM

Being new to the forum you will learn a few thing. First, welcome, this is a tough crowd so make sure you have thick skin. :thumbs:
Second, you resurrected a 3 year old thread!!! That's a no no. :crazy:

OzarkCorvetteGuy 11-23-2016 07:35 AM

Something else that has never ever been noticed brought up, observed, gazed upon, appeared, mentioned or appeared anywhere in print is that most sports cars appear to have sleeeek lines. There it's out there now.

2fastnow 11-23-2016 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by OzarkCorvetteGuy (Post 1593524970)
Something else that has never ever been noticed brought up, observed, gazed upon, appeared, mentioned or appeared anywhere in print is that most sports cars appear to have sleeeek lines. There it's out there now.

Really there is no way to design a completely new looking car without it appearing like a space ship. But what Chevy has done is put together a new 'super model' so to speak. Perhaps the new 'kate Upton model' of sport tourers!

Bunk 11-23-2016 11:37 AM

They just do not have the same look feel. Corvette has always had that bad-ass look whereas the Ferrari's have a refinement like a fine watch.

Steve_R 11-23-2016 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by davidtcpa (Post 1593524907)
Second, you resurrected a 3 year old thread!!! That's a no no. :crazy:

Almost 3.5 year old thread. All to accuse the C7 design team of "robbery."

This should go well. :spit:

thegame 11-23-2016 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2fastnow (Post 1593524722)
I'm new to this forum....WOW lots of knife throwing here!! Seriously the new C7 copied that Ferrari to a T. Like the Ford Granada copied the Mercedes back when...That's why the designers chopped up the rear bumper to disguise their robbery along with their front end stretch of the lights and all.
That said they created something more muscular, more wilder as the American aggressive soul personality written all over it. To me it looks fantastic! Wider, lower more powerful looking then the Ferrari.

really dude...

sabasigh 11-23-2016 12:01 PM

If Jane is under 30, it's the Ferrari. If she's over 40, it's the Vette.

:lol:

dcbingaman 11-23-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by sabasigh (Post 1593526821)
If Jane is under 30, it's the Ferrari. If she's over 40, it's the Vette.

:lol:

The Ferrari is a Movado Museum watch - especially the 458 Italia, probably the best looking Ferrari since the 250 GTO of 1961. The new Corvette is a Rolex Submariner. Different strokes for different folks.

REZ1 11-23-2016 11:21 PM

I love My Submariner....and like Jay Leno says...its a Chevy..."You can fix it with a
hammer"

dcbingaman 11-24-2016 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by REZ1 (Post 1593531512)
I love My Submariner....and like Jay Leno says...its a Chevy..."You can fix it with a
hammer"

Amen. You also don't have to pull the engine out the bottom to change plugs, or completely overhaul it after 25,000 miles.

If GM builds a mid-engine Corvette, I hope they pay more attention to what we in the jet fighter business call "supportability" than Ferrari, Lamborghini and the other exotics have done in the past. Ferraris are beautiful, but they are fragile.