CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Bent half shaft U-joint flange (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3303951-bent-half-shaft-u-joint-flange.html)

mac79vette 07-12-2013 12:57 AM

Bent half shaft U-joint flange

I am about the install my half shaft u joints and realized that both U joint flanges are bent. Any suggestions on how to bend them back?

bluedawg 07-12-2013 02:00 AM

How are they bent. Can you post photos.

Ibanez540r 07-12-2013 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by bluedawg (Post 1584387189)
How are they bent. Can you post photos.

From pressing them out without a backing plate or reinforcement.

...Unlikely to bend them back perfectly. Buy new ones.

gkull 07-12-2013 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by mac79vette (Post 1584386966)
I am about the install my half shaft u joints and realized that both U joint flanges are bent. Any suggestions on how to bend them back?

I have used a H-press to straighten them. Without the backing plate or something to hold them. Pressing out the u-joints easily bends them

mac79vette 07-12-2013 08:13 AM

Yes it was from pressing out the U joint. What a stupid mistake..... So for a backing plate is that a tool that is made or just fabricate it? What material works best and thickness? Before I spend the money on new flanges I think I am going to try to fix them.
Thanks for the help

speedreed8 07-12-2013 08:38 AM

looks like this.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...port-tool.html

thegazman 07-12-2013 09:05 AM

thegazman

Mac.... I made a backing plate with a piece of 1/4" plate steel. The home made plate will not have the machined grove in it so you have to be careful when you tighten the flange. If you make a backing plate you can use it as an aid to straighten the bend flanges.

flyeri 07-12-2013 11:13 AM

Mine were bent inward by a previous owner. I found the caps partially extended out of the yoke because the retaining clips did not seat and were missing. I got lucky on that. I used an arbor press and very carefully spread the yoke back out to its proper width being careful to keep everything cenetered.

bhk2 07-12-2013 12:05 PM

I purchased new ones from Bairs, and agree with the previous posts about the steel backing plate. Not using the backing plate is why I had to purchase a new one.

:thumbs:

mac79vette 07-12-2013 12:30 PM

What about using a 1/4 in aluminum plate? Or would aluminum not have the required stiffness? With aluminum I can easily grind out the circle area in the middle so the plate sits flush against the flange.

TimAT 07-12-2013 12:49 PM

I made one from a 4x4 piece of 1" thick 7075 aluminum. Chucked in the lathe and cut a ring for the yoke, drilled and tapped it. Works great.

lionelhutz 07-12-2013 03:08 PM

How bad is it?

When I was helping dad with his car we were working on the wheel bearing too so I bolted the flange to drive hub to replace the u-joint so I didn't bend the flange. When we were done and separated the flange, it still sprung enough I could see it was bent just looking at it. Still, it straightened out and moved without binding once bolted back together so we just put it together the way it was.

thegazman 07-12-2013 04:34 PM

thegazman

Originally Posted by mac79vette (Post 1584390187)
What about using a 1/4 in aluminum plate? Or would aluminum not have the required stiffness? With aluminum I can easily grind out the circle area in the middle so the plate sits flush against the flange.

I think 1/4" aluminum may not be rigid enough. Without the grove just be careful that you don't over tighten the bolts as it will bend the flange outward. Without the groove it may help to spread the flanges out to their original shape as you tighten the bolts.