CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   -65 Vette runs 193,4MPH on standing mile! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3301203-65-vette-runs-193-4mph-on-standing-mile.html)

Tapio@FTTRacing 07-07-2013 02:23 AM

-65 Vette runs 193,4MPH on standing mile!

Friend of mine did he's first +300km/h (186mph) pass on standing mile yesterday! The fastest standing mile C2 corvette in Finland, and until proven otherwise, The fastest standing mile C2 corvette in The world! I'm speechless, it's naturally aspirated, Gen-1 based small block with huuuuge amount of R&D in it.

Here's a picture of it, the car is full trim & full interior street driven car, it drove to airstrip and back AC blasting.

http://kuvaton.com/k/YclY.jpg

Videos coming later :thumbs:

Westlotorn 07-07-2013 03:23 AM

Wow, that is really fast for one of these body's. I see the small spoiler on the front but I have heard these cars had huge front end lift above 145 MPH unless they were modified.

mrg 07-07-2013 04:17 PM

WOW .. Front spoiler aside, the car looks a like a normal DD. Let's see........AC on...186mph. .. . Very impressive, indeed!.

Donny Brass 07-07-2013 05:08 PM

freak an A skippy !!! I am in love.... where is the video ???

magicv8 07-07-2013 05:13 PM

My kind of guy :thumbs:

nassau66427 07-07-2013 05:56 PM

It looks as though he tied the wiper arms together. Good thinking. :thumbs:

uxojerry 07-07-2013 11:21 PM

How about some under hood photos and engine/drive train information. I would like to participate in these events if my C2 ever gets out of the shop, lol.

Mr D. 07-08-2013 09:55 AM

engine ??????

claysmoker 07-08-2013 10:13 AM

Troll alert.:troll

6T5RUSH 07-08-2013 10:21 AM

OK. I did some searching on YOUTUBE and came across this car back in 2012 at a Finland drag strip. Not sure what the commentary is saying but the video of this car appears a couple of times. She's STOUT! for sure. Try the 52 second mark and the 4 minute mark.

Here ya' go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...ri2-CwI#t=245s

Enjoy!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

MiguelsC2 07-08-2013 10:49 AM

I guess that front spoiler kept it from taking off like an airplane? :D

Wow!:thumbs:

groovyjay 07-08-2013 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1584352705)
Troll alert.:troll

Why? That's my very good friend who's car is been discussed here. Absolutely the greatest Corvette I've ever encountered... I've seen loads of cars, with more money in to them, newer parts, late model suspension etc etc. But the fact is that the owner bought that 65 as a barely drivable basket case, restored it to finest standards in 2 years and ever since it's been just getting better and better. He's done all the work by himself and just keeps coming up with new ways to improve the car. Latest for this summer was the Aero package, which is really trick and will only be visible underneath the car, so the small front spoiler and the 17" wheels are the only give aways that this car is not your ordinary NCRS 65 coupe, even though it might fool people to think so with it's pristine stock appearing interior, no Autometer gauges, no racing seats... Just very cleverly thought out stuff that will make the car go faster, handle better, ride better and be very reliable doing it.

Here's a car that will get the biggest trophies in any car show it enters, yes the attention to details is that good. The owner is very meticulous about the appearance and performance. This car gets driven a lot, no trailer queen BS, it gets driven hard and still it gets the owner to every cruise night, drag strip, mile event, car show and best of all our annual European road trips, we are talking about 4000mile trips thought Europe, racing at the Nurburgring during the day and then cruising through the vineyards in the evening for a nice meal...

So, standing mile 194mph
1/4mile 11.00
Very very good lap times on local road courses, can keep up with the late model Vettes without braking a sweat.
Has won all the major car shows in Europe
Toured in almost every European Country
Almost 20K miles every summer (only 4 months without snow here)

I really like the fact that the owner really uses the car, pushes it to its limits and enjoys it a lot and then has time to tinker with it to make it even better every year.

I'll post some pics and vids about the car later on.

Oh and it sounds awesome with the new firing order and EFI...

Here's a quick teaser:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/__mB4SYKtWsg/TE...innshark-1.jpg

wmf62 07-08-2013 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by groovyjay (Post 1584352951)

180* crank?
Bill

cv67 07-08-2013 11:17 AM

I really like the fact that the owner really uses the car, pushes it to its limits and enjoys it a lot and then has time to tinker with it to make it even better every year.
Amen to that!

Yet you hear some say if the original brake line dust molecules are altered the car is worthless and ruined. :crazy:

claysmoker 07-08-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1584353157)
180* crank?
Bill

4-7 swap.

I'm still not buying the speed.

Tapio@FTTRacing 07-08-2013 11:53 AM

About the specs, because of the huge amount of r&d in the engine, i'm not going to tell more, we have to wait and see if man himself joins and tells more specificly.

Here is a video from the new engine and the sweet idle note Groovyjay was talking about.

I think someone has video from that 193mph run, but we have to wait for that

Tapio@FTTRacing 07-08-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1584353365)

http://www.speedconcept.fi/images/ti...3_tulokset.pdf

63Corvette 07-08-2013 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by groovyjay (Post 1584352951)
Why? That's my very good friend who's car is been discussed here. Absolutely the greatest Corvette I've ever encountered... I've seen loads of cars, with more money in to them, newer parts, late model suspension etc etc. But the fact is that the owner bought that 65 as a barely drivable basket case, restored it to finest standards in 2 years and ever since it's been just getting better and better. He's done all the work by himself and just keeps coming up with new ways to improve the car. Latest for this summer was the Aero package, which is really trick and will only be visible underneath the car, so the small front spoiler and the 17" wheels are the only give aways that this car is not your ordinary NCRS 65 coupe, even though it might fool people to think so with it's pristine stock appearing interior, no Autometer gauges, no racing seats... Just very cleverly thought out stuff that will make the car go faster, handle better, ride better and be very reliable doing it.

Here's a car that will get the biggest trophies in any car show it enters, yes the attention to details is that good. The owner is very meticulous about the appearance and performance. This car gets driven a lot, no trailer queen BS, it gets driven hard and still it gets the owner to every cruise night, drag strip, mile event, car show and best of all our annual European road trips, we are talking about 4000mile trips thought Europe, racing at the Nurburgring during the day and then cruising through the vineyards in the evening for a nice meal...

So, standing mile 194mph
1/4mile 11.00
Very very good lap times on local road courses, can keep up with the late model Vettes without braking a sweat.
Has won all the major car shows in Europe
Toured in almost every European Country
Almost 20K miles every summer (only 4 months without snow here)

I'll post some pics and vids about the car later on.

Here's a quick teaser:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/__mB4SYKtWsg/TE...innshark-1.jpg

Congratulations! Your friend has an incredible car. I have driven a 66 427 coupe to 180mph, but that was on (Firestone T170) race tires, so my first concern would be what kind of tires did he use to go almost 200mph? Yes, the C2 body does get light and attempt to fly at speeds over 150mph, but I noticed that on the drag strip runs the front end stayed down (the profile stayed nose low) so your friend has obviously done his aero homework. Please let us know some more details on the powertrain, and especially the suspension and aero package on this car.

claysmoker 07-08-2013 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tapio@FTTRacing (Post 1584353473)

Unless the aero on this car is significantly different from the pics and vids you are showing there is no way we get to your claimed speeds.

The car flies long before that.

The engine sounds nice though.:thumbs:

Pop Chevy 07-08-2013 12:30 PM

Does he have a cage in that monster ???

Godholio 07-08-2013 01:08 PM

I want more info on that spoiler. Also, I want one.

sub006 07-08-2013 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy (Post 1584353777)

Couldn't see one in the shop video, but that was pre-spoiler also.

groovyjay 07-08-2013 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy (Post 1584353777)

No cage, that would be too obvious... :D

groovyjay 07-08-2013 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1584353667)
Unless the aero on this car is significantly different from the pics and vids you are showing there is no way we get to your claimed speeds.

The car flies long before that.

The engine sounds nice though.:thumbs:

There's significant amount of time and effort been put into the new aero package for this summer and the neat thing about it, it's all underneath the car, hidden from the curious by standers. Almost 1K hp out of that BIG small block on that record pass...

Here's another neat video about the car. It's a Finnish car show called "virittajat" I guess you could translate it as "gearheads". It's a funny (to Finns) show, hosted by Mika Salo, the Ex-Ferrari F1 driver. He drives different "gearhead" cars, with the owners standing nervously at the pits waiting for their cars to arrive back in piece after M.Salo tests them out. They give them score on performance, looks and Wow-factor. This car won the whole 2nd series, Salo absolutely loved the whole package and this was couple of years ago, with the old engine, suspension and brakes, so it would be cool to see it run once again.

Usually when people start building these cars they set their aim on one particular thing, some like it to be a show stopper, some like it to do well on a 1/4 mile strip, some like it to have a lot of top speed, some just like theirs to be nice cruisers, some might like their cars to be relieble for long journeys. This car does all of that and then some...

You really need to see and hear this car to really appreciate it. Jack Panzica got to see the car and met the owner on his trip to Europe and was well impressed by it. :thumbs:

Very cool car, with cool numbers to back it up. :cheers:

groovyjay 07-08-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Godholio (Post 1584354124)
I want more info on that spoiler. Also, I want one.

I believe it started out as a off the shelf Ecklers C2 spoiler, which was afterwards widened and lowered some, not much but just enough to make it work. The trick part is underneath the car + the new air intake system, really made a big difference to last years time. :thumbs:

groovyjay 07-08-2013 02:50 PM

Here's the car back in 2011, running 11.8 with the old motor. I can't wait to see what he'll do it with the new motor this year.

groovyjay 07-08-2013 02:54 PM

Here's last years video, 179mp/h then with the whole different motor, no real aero mods, besides the front spoiler.

69ttop502 07-08-2013 05:59 PM

Well I don't know about the skeptics in this thread but you convinced me. A really neat car to say the least. Makes the troll comment look a little silly.:rofl:

Bill

claysmoker 07-08-2013 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 69ttop502 (Post 1584356735)
Well I don't know about the skeptics in this thread but you convinced me. A really neat car to say the least. Makes the troll comment look a little silly.:rofl:

Bill

Take a good close look at the car in the first post. There's no way in this world that the car pictured there goes 300K per hour. Not on those tires, not with that air dam up front.

That's where the troll comment came from. The OP should post all the facts up front. Then he won't get those comments.

Dave

Poorhousenext 07-08-2013 09:51 PM

4-7 swap.

"Latest for this summer was the Aero package, which is really trick and will only be visible underneath the car,"

Write up states Aero package only visible form underneath car. Sounds like he's figured out how to stop underneath air flow from building up under the hood and causing front end lift. The air dam on the front I'm sure helps some as well as it looks like he has back end of car sitting above rear tires, while nose of car sits down over front tires. Hard to tell from picture if and how much the rear tire's dia may be over front in Standing Mile form. Drag race form, it does have larger dia rear tires to nose front down.

You can easily raise rear of car 3.0" higher than front and still have the body cover the tires the same amount. Just look at stance of Lydia, it's done that way. Lydia's running the same base designed spoiler, except it's been widen 2.0" and ends moved out about 3/4" to center of turn signals. Lydia has not lifting problems at 152 MPH in her 1:1 Gear.

That car has one hell of an engine to overcome the 4.0' x 8.0' sheet of plywood in a huricane aerodynamics of a C2 body to push it to 193.344 MPH.

kph: 311.3 = mph 193.344

First post I saw on car was on digital corvette by member there since 2005.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=178186

What is the fastest speed you have heard of C2 doing in standing mile? My friend Kimmo in Finland just did 311,3kmh/193,4mph. This is one fast 65. No supercharged. Old school V8 with fuel injection and NOS. His hope was to break 300km/h (186,4mph), but he managed to go little over. I bet Zora never tought C2 could go this fast. Here is pic of the car at Joensuu Airfield where he did his record. So far fastest non-supercharged car here in Finland.

Godholio 07-08-2013 10:11 PM

Was anything besides rocket-powered Bonneville cars doing that kind of speed in the 60s?

LouieM 07-08-2013 11:05 PM

What an amazing Vette. It sounds like the best-developed, most thoroughly sorted Sting Ray ever. Congratulations to the owner and those who helped him. It will be fascinating to learn details of the engine, suspension and aero. :thumbs:

AZDoug 07-09-2013 12:36 AM

Not sure what he did underneath the car, i am very curious. Could be mods based on the Ferrari 360 Modena ,and later Enzo that had massive air ducts to evacuate air from under the car and give it negative underbody pressure.

Doug

Tapio@FTTRacing 07-09-2013 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by 63Corvette (Post 1584353654)
so my first concern would be what kind of tires did he use to go almost 200mph?

He uses toyo proxes T1R tires, these have speed rating Y = 186mph

Originally Posted by 63Corvette (Post 1584353654)
Please let us know some more details on the powertrain, and especially the suspension and aero package on this car.

Just talked with the man himself, and he said he will be joining us shortly. He will tell you everything more speficly :thumbs:

4-7 swap.

4-7 and 3-2 swap to be exact. Development engineers at comp cams are very aware of potential this cam has

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1584356834)
Take a good close look at the car in the first post. There's no way in this world that the car pictured there goes 300K per hour. Not on those tires, not with that air dam up front.

Dave

The picture in the first post is taken at the Joensuu airport right after the one mile run.

Originally Posted by AZDoug (Post 1584359726)
Could be mods based on the Ferrari 360 Modena ,and later Enzo that had massive air ducts to evacuate air from under the car and give it negative underbody pressure.

Doug

Bingo, negative underbody pressure is the key word here! With the help of one ex-F1 aerodynamic engineer, one aerospace engineer and countless hours doing research on C6.r and Kimi Raikkonen's F1 lotus underbody Kimmo managed to make the aero packet functional. Underneath panels are pieced together with pop-rivets and hi-strength m4 bolts. After the 193mph pass, the pop rivets were stretch out of shape.

Here is one more video. Stage 1 engine, making 640hp without NOS. After that Kimmo took apart the engine and started to tickle out some power for the stage 2 he's running now

claysmoker 07-09-2013 10:48 AM

Thanks to the OP for giving us more, now post up some pics of the bottom of the car.:thumbs:

One last question. Who runs a car with 200 mph potential without a cage?????:lol:

Kerrmudgeon 07-09-2013 12:10 PM

Awesome car! I can't wait to see the enging specs and pics of unside of car. I'd also like to see a pic of the drag strip timing lights with those numbers after the runs, if they use those over there. :thumbs:

I'm a little confused though? Is 193 the top speed of the car in the mile, or the quarter mile? Seems like the ET would have to be in the 7s or less, to get that top in the quarter. Title is a tad confusing to me. Thanks.

mikem350 07-09-2013 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1584361798)
One last question. Who runs a car with 200 mph potential without a cage?????:lol:

Boy their tech requirements must be nil...also why in EUROPE are they running MILE races..not kilos????

And like in aviation...give a brick enuf thrust and we'll make it fly:hide:

mr.stingray1973 07-09-2013 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1584362513)
Awesome car! I can't wait to see the enging specs and pics of unside of car. I'd also like to see a pic of the drag strip timing lights with those numbers after the runs, if they use those over there. :thumbs:

I'm a little confused though? Is 193 the top speed of the car in the mile, or the quarter mile? Seems like the ET would have to be in the 7s or less, to get that top in the quarter. Title is a tad confusing to me. Thanks.

standing mile :woohoo: :thumbs:

magicv8 07-09-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1584361798)

Anyone who doesn't live in a nanny state with greedy lawyers.:rock: Brass balls are optional.:D

racelance 07-09-2013 04:07 PM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing...

Cheers,

Lance

Pop Chevy 07-09-2013 08:56 PM

God bless you man ! That's a Heck of an achievement and something to be proud of. But please put a cage in it. I been driving race cars for 35yrs and know that at those speeds things can go awfully wrong in a heartbeat. Any sanction in the US requires a cage to go that fast, and there's a reason. I'll get off my soapbox now and say no more about it..

SWC Tim 07-09-2013 09:38 PM

Absolutely awsume, followed the post from the beginning. Love to know the specs.
Tim

SIX-5 07-10-2013 12:27 AM

Hi to all, yes it`s me, the grazy driver.
I had to start writin here. Sorry if there is no dots on right place and there is mistakes on letters, but here we go.

First it`s nice to know that some like that old car goes fast.

There is people thinking that i`m troll - "just joo, ihan sama".
Actually i`m allmoust normal guy.

Then some are laughing, nice to know that i can make people happy.

And also someone want answer to qestions.
This is possible i can try.

But where to start?

IGO200 07-10-2013 12:47 AM

Two words. NO WAY

Fawndeuce 07-10-2013 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by SIX-5 (Post 1584368879)
Hi to all, yes it`s me, the grazy driver.
I had to start writin here. Sorry if there is no dots on right place and there is mistakes on letters, but here we go.

First it`s nice to know that some like that old car goes fast.

There is people thinking that i`m troll - "just joo, ihan sama".
Actually i`m allmoust normal guy.

Then some are laughing, nice to know that i can make people happy.

And also someone want answer to qestions.
This is possible i can try.

But where to start?

Hello and welcome! :thumbs:
You may know my friend Riku Loisa, he is a Finnish Corvette fan (finnshark.com) and also aeronautical engineer, I thought he may have helped with your car?
We would love to see a video of your record speed run, also some pictures of the aerodynamic modifications that you have done to your car?
How many HP did you need to push that car to 194MPH? I'm guessing 900+?

:cheers:

Paul

62Jeff 07-10-2013 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by SIX-5 (Post 1584368879)
Sorry if there is no dots on right place and there is mistakes on letters, but here we go.

Welcome! Your English is just fine :thumbs:

I would love to hear more about your build, and the aerodynamic changes.

SIX-5 07-10-2013 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce (Post 1584368976)
Hello and welcome! :thumbs:
You may know my friend Riku Loisa, he is a Finnish Corvette fan (finnshark.com) and also aeronautical engineer, I thought he may have helped with your car?
We would love to see a video of your record speed run, also some pictures of the aerodynamic modifications that you have done to your car?
How many HP did you need to push that car to 194MPH? I'm guessing 900+?

Paul

You right, Riku is one of the team what i had on project.

Video is on speedparty organizer, they take it allmoust end of the track.

They will uppload it on youtube, i hope soon.

HP is something, old 2 mounth engine gives 645.5 at 7000 rpm and rising , this was on dyno.
New engine mods: heads and intake i make some (grinding), cam old 4-7 new also 2-3 swap and lift just under .7 inches, rpm limit is now 7500.

Aerodynamic will take time but i try explane later.

SIX-5 07-10-2013 02:31 AM

I have only one incar video, that is on test run 281km/h 174.6mph and N/A.
Air intake is coming in front both side radiator, it`s 2*4inches alu tubes.
It gives fresh air to engine.

Cage: birdcage has been made sronger, front "z-bar" under dashboard is made from square steelbar, rear 2*1 inch tubular cromo bars, hidden under halopanel tubular cromo bars.

And still, if something happens it`s not enough.

uxojerry 07-10-2013 02:36 AM

Amazing accomplishment!! More engine details are appreciated. If anyone is interested, the Tx mile does not require any roll bar under 199mph, and only a 4pt for 200mph and above.

Most stock C6 ZR1s with about the same hp come in at 180mph or below. I imagine this C2 has set a record for achieving the highest speed with the least amount of hp. I guess we will find out if the aero mods were for the purpose of reducing drag or lift.

SIX-5 07-10-2013 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1584369289)
Amazing accomplishment!! More engine details are appreciated. If anyone is interested, the Tx mile does not require any roll bar under 199mph, and only a 4pt for 200mph and above.

Most stock C6 ZR1s with about the same hp come in at 180mph or below. I imagine this C2 has set a record for achieving the highest speed with the least amount of hp. I guess we will find out if the aero mods were for the purpose of reducing drag or lift.

Engine:
World motown 2 race block .
Mahle pistons, K1 crank and K1 6 inch h-beam connecting rods.
AFR 235 heads, Edelbrock efi intake.
Compcams special cam.4-7 and 3-2 swap.

I try to put some pictures also if i can.
Hooker headers 1.7/8 primary and 3.5 collector.
Exhaust pipes 3 inch (dual balancer), there is H and X.
Jesel shaft rockers 1.6 ratio.
Throttle bodie is 1000 cfm.

Gearbox is tremeck t56 prepped last winter.

uxojerry 07-10-2013 06:19 AM

What advantages did you experience with the 4-7/3-2 swap? You must have also reduced a lot of power loss through the drive line. I would be interested in learning how you reduced those losses.

There are people who are convinced a C2 Corvette cannot achieve 200mph because the nose will go airborne, lol. Your doing a great job in dispelling that myth.

At what speed are you hitting the nitrous oxide? How much for how long? Sorry to ask so many questions but the car and it's achievements, are fascinating.

kenmo 07-10-2013 07:05 AM

Wow... my kind of Vette...

SIX-5 07-10-2013 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1584369495)
What advantages did you experience with the 4-7/3-2 swap? You must have also reduced a lot of power loss through the drive line. I would be interested in learning how you reduced those losses.

There are people who are convinced a C2 Corvette cannot achieve 200mph because the nose will go airborne, lol. Your doing a great job in dispelling that myth.

At what speed are you hitting the nitrous oxide? How much for how long? Sorry to ask so many questions but the car and it's achievements, are fascinating.

Cam swap: engine runs smoother.
Drive line: rotating parts as light as possible, front rotors alu 6082,
rear boll bearings 4 lines/wheel, gearbox all shims by the book, line from engine/gearbox to rear end has been changed,

NOS: 4:th gear stage 1 about 120mph, 5:th gear have to check the speeds, but stege 1 about 2 sek and stage 2 to end of 5:th gear, 6:th gear 1 stage after 1 sek 2 stage.
I push buttom untill i see 300km/h on gps.
Stage 1 is 100hp and stage 2 is agen 100hp.

Aero kit hmmmmmmmmmm.

I try to keep air off under the car.
To make a spoiler the positive airpressure is draging/brakeing the car.
Same will hapen if positive airpressure is under the car.

But if you take positive pressure out, you get only stabil air, and on this speed that is not enough.

We need negative airpressure under the car to get "ground effect" and to keep it down.

Also negative airpressure don`t drag the car, i know it now.

Last year i drive only on "stabil" air under the car and front was lifting on 179mph this year first test 174mph no lift and 193 mph still no lift.

I try to tell better way this thing later.

1963GrayGray 07-10-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1584369289)

I think that Texas is a 4 Pt. minimum for 190 Plus and 6 pt or 8 pt. is
suggested.
East Coast Timing association, Southern California Timing Association and Loring Timing Association are more stringent than this. I run a funny car cage in my 56 Corvette and at
197 MPH I have a reasonable safety comfort level.
Having run some C2 cars at high speed also, I am impressed with the accomplishments of this car. I am anxious to learn some of the aero secrets.
Dave

uxojerry 07-10-2013 08:20 AM

Would you mind flying your car over to the US so we can take it apart and study it? lol. I guess maybe detailed photos of the build and mods would suffice, lol. We have to see all of the under car aero stuff. Thank you for being so helpful!

SIX-5 07-10-2013 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1584369951)
Would you mind flying your car over to the US so we can take it apart and study it? lol. I guess maybe detailed photos of the build and mods would suffice, lol. We have to see all of the under car aero stuff. Thank you for being so helpful!

I think that people belive only when they see it, Texas mile hmmm, is that the answer?

Well i will explane some more later.

Godholio 07-10-2013 12:20 PM

Pictures of everything!

I can't wait to see the video. :)

63Corvette 07-10-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SIX-5 (Post 1584370844)
I think that people belive only when they see it, Texas mile hmmm, is that the answer?

Well i will explane some more later.

I hope you will decide to come over and run the Texas Mile. It is run on an airport runway, and is quite safe. Cars have run over 250mph, and some bikes (blown Hayabusas) have run to nearly 300mph. There have been some very spectacular accidents, but due to the safety requirements (NASA rules) no fatalties. Its a LONG way to come to run a Corvette, but LOTS of us here in Texas/America offer hospitality, and would love to see you and your car.

AZDoug 07-10-2013 01:27 PM

We need pictures of rear of car, and as much under body work as you care to divulge.

Thanks,
Doug

Poorhousenext 07-10-2013 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by uxojerry (Post 1584369495)

Front end lift being bad on 63 & 64 models is no myth. Chevy found that out when they went raceing. The C2 front end's design forces a lot of air flow to go under body and build up lift pressure under the hood because there is no way for that air pressure to vent.

If you look at pictures of GS before and after they when racing, you will see what was done to try and relieve under hood air pressure. Little vents were cut in lower fenders to help vent air, along with raising back of hood up about 2.0" also. Later on you see the vented hoods.

65 Model year, Chevy changed the lower vent design by adding 3 vents. If you compare the area of those vents to those they cut in the lower fenders of GS you will find the 3 vent openings area far exceeds that of the ones in GS. Compared to 67 5 vents and I'm guessing that the 3 65-66 vent openings area and 67's 5 opening areas are about the same.

No sure if the GS's body does not sit higher than a stock body to get more tire clearance. If it does, that makes lift worse.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h..._sebringgr.jpg

I stand with the 65's owner until someone proves the equipment used to to measure all the cars speed at event was faulty.

SIX-5 07-10-2013 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 63Corvette (Post 1584372171)
I hope you will decide to come over and run the Texas Mile. It is run on an airport runway, and is quite safe. Cars have run over 250mph, and some bikes (blown Hayabusas) have run to nearly 300mph. There have been some very spectacular accidents, but due to the safety requirements (NASA rules) no fatalties. Its a LONG way to come to run a Corvette, but LOTS of us here in Texas/America offer hospitality, and would love to see you and your car.

The run was on Joensuu airport runway.
Here is video from test run, you can see meny mistakes what i make.
Next run was calmer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpgba...ature=youtu.be

mr.stingray1973 07-10-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by SIX-5 (Post 1584373166)
Next run was calmer.

and this without NOS ....and next one with NOS ......right :rock:

SIX-5 07-11-2013 12:04 AM

Next brakes.

Willwood disks with alu hubs, rear 11 inches front 13 inches.
Willwood calibers, power is from hydrobooster.

A bit of air things.

Front spoiler http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1967.html
I make about 1 inch extra fiber to get it lower.
Also there was bonded same time alu bar for connection of under plate.

So we are now 1 inch closer to ground plus spoiler.
Plate is just under 1 inch extra lower, that you can see on picture a small bit of it.

Front plate goes close to rack and pinion, front of the plate is lower than rear.
This gives vacuum and it takes hot and positive airpressure out of the engineroom.

Then next plates air is "pushed" both sides out, starting just before door.
Center part keeps air straight, that makes car more stabil to go straight.
In the middle is channel for exhaust pipes, starting also just before door.

Next plates, they are small.
They are under rear spring and strut rods, to keep draging off.

Rear plate is first straight then a bit round, same angle than rear of the car.
Last year rear plate was straight, ok but not enough.

I hope terms are goeing even close that you understand what i`m explaning.

Rear plate gives now accelerating "vacuum or air flo".
That gives rear down force.

Front down force is to take positive pressure out and give some vacuum.

Under the car has no more transverse beams so no air brakes.

I hope this help some.

Engine.
I contact Ryan Hart Compcams he is designer of cam.
He said that there is potential.

To next time

Fawndeuce 07-11-2013 12:20 AM

I sent an email to my Finnish aerospace engineer Corvette buddy Riku (finnshark.com), I had mentioned him in my earlier post.
I asked him if our Finnish Corvette friends were just funnin' us a bit about this car, or if it really did run 194 MPH in the mile and had worked on it?
He assures me that yes it did actually run 194, and yes that it is quite an amazing car.
He said he helped with the basic aerodynamics and initial configuration, but was not directly involved in it's present iteration.
He has however driven the car, and confirms that it is truly a remarkable machine. He said that last year when it ran 274 KPH (170 MPH), the car was so stable at that speed, that one hand on the wheel was sufficient to keep it on course (but not recomended :eek:).
As a side bar; the car does have a cage so to speak, most of the birdcage has been augmented with chromoly tubing, including a roll hoop hidden under the interior trim.
I can't wait to see the vid of the run, and to learn more about the aerodynamics.

Paul

Just found this page on the SpeedParty web site http://www.speedconcept.fi/speedpart...-loppuraportti

About halfway down the page:

Sen jälkeen Helsingistä upea Corvette vm. -65 lukemalla 281,6 km/h. Seuraavalle kierrokselle Corvetteen tehtiin muutoksia ja nopeudeksi kirjattiin vanhukselle todella hurjat 311,3 km/h! Huh. SpeedConcept onnittelee erittäin onnistuneesta virityksestä!

Ran it through an online translator and got he following.

After Helsinki, the gorgeous Corvette in the vm. -65 by reading 281,6 km/h to the next round of amendments and speed was Corvetteen was an old man really wild 311,3 km/h! Huh. SpeedConcept congratulates the highly successful stance!

Don't think I needed the translator for "311,3 km/h! Huh." :lol:

Line 4

http://speedconcept.fi/images/tiedos...3_tulokset.pdf

cbernhardt 07-11-2013 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by SIX-5 (Post 1584377840)
Next brakes.

Willwood disks with alu hubs, rear 11 inches front 13 inches.
Willwood calibers, power is from hydrobooster.

A bit of air things.

Front spoiler http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1967.html
I make about 1 inch extra fiber to get it lower.
Also there was bonded same time alu bar for connection of under plate.

So we are now 1 inch closer to ground plus spoiler.
Plate is just under 1 inch extra lower, that you can see on picture a small bit of it.

Front plate goes close to rack and pinion, front of the plate is lower than rear.
This gives vacuum and it takes hot and positive airpressure out of the engineroom.

Then next plates air is "pushed" both sides out, starting just before door.
Center part keeps air straight, that makes car more stabil to go straight.
In the middle is career for exhaust pipes, starting also just before door.

Next plates, they are small.
They are under rear spring and strut rods, to keep draging off.

Rear plate is first straight then a bit round, same angle than rear of the car.
Last year rear plate was straight, ok but not enough.

I hope terms are goeing even close that you understand what i`m explaning.

Rear plate gives now accelerating "vacuum or air flo".
That gives rear down force.

Front down force is to take positive pressure out and give some vacuum.

Under the car has no more transverse beams so no air brakes.

I hope this help some.

Engine.
I contact Ryan Hart Compcams he is designer of cam.
He said that there is potential.

To next time

Would really love to see some pictures of the underside.

Charles

JJ66 07-11-2013 09:35 AM

Onnittelut kovasta suorituksesta SIX-5. 300 kmh meni rikki mutta jäikö hampaankoloon mitään.... esim. 200 mph ?? Näköjään jenkitki pitää suoritusta kovana kun eivät oikein usko todeksi. Älä paljasta kaikkee autostasi ennenkun oot ite rikkonu ton 200mph :thumbs:

Former67er 07-11-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JJ66 (Post 1584379449)
Onnittelut kovasta suorituksesta SIX-5. 300 kmh meni rikki mutta jäikö hampaankoloon mitään.... esim. 200 mph ?? Näköjään jenkitki pitää suoritusta kovana kun eivät oikein usko todeksi. Älä paljasta kaikkee autostasi ennenkun oot ite rikkonu ton 200mph :thumbs:

Just niin :iagree:

I love the car when it looks almost stock, only the engine sound tells theres something more than stock under hood!
Congrats SIX-5... :cool:

MiguelsC2 07-11-2013 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by AZDoug (Post 1584372502)
We need pictures of rear of car, and as much under body work as you care to divulge.

Thanks,
Doug

:thumbs:

claysmoker 07-11-2013 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SIX-5 (Post 1584373166)
Next run was calmer.

NO shoulder harnesses.:eek:

SIX-5 07-11-2013 10:57 AM

Test run 3-point seat belts.
Second run 4 point sparco belts.

Jackfit 07-11-2013 11:34 AM

Corvette Vagabond in Finland

Hi,

I had to pleasure to meet the owner and to see this car in person. Here are some photos of the Finland Corvette Club and the shop that makes very fast cars

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...keSuana001.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps0fc1e46f.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...psdcccc51e.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps10943602.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...psa81fce37.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps7e2894ce.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps3fc90399.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps0754b64f.jpg

claysmoker 07-11-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by SIX-5 (Post 1584380155)
Test run 3-point seat belts.
Second run 4 point sparco belts.

:thumbs: Good for you! Can't detect it in the video.

vetrod62 07-12-2013 12:02 AM

I have been watching this thread for a while. Many doubts occure.

All the photos show mostly nothing relavent to the story. Like some low budget cable show.

An air dam does work, but not that well.

My issue is rear end lift. I have 1962 ( the same rear body configuration) with a 1000 hp engine that revs to 7500+ with an overdrive manual. My car is racked forward and tracks perfectly at high speeds.

The problem is that the rear end end starts lifting a 130+. By 165 the rear end is spinng the tires and is so loose, it is like driving on ice. Shifting into sixth would spin the car out.

I have talked with other racers who had the same experiance, and they all said to over come this, you need an 18" wing with 1/4" wicker.

I would really like to know how this car was able to acheve these speeds with out exterior modifications????

There is no way a couple of pieces of sheet metal under the car are going to over come the hugh amount of air coming over the car and rolling under it.

Lift chart below.

http://i39.tinypic.com/314z49y.jpg

AZDoug 07-12-2013 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by vetrod62 (Post 1584386698)

My issue is rear end lift. I have 1962 ( the same rear body configuration) with a 1000 hp engine that revs to 7500+ with an overdrive manual. My car is racked forward and tracks perfectly at high speeds.

The problem is that the rear end end starts lifting a 130+. By 165 the rear end is spinng the tires and is so loose, it is like driving on ice. Shifting into sixth would spin the car out.

We have totally different frames on our cars.

My '72 is radically different from my '61, and not really any diff than a C2.

There is no way, I could make the air go away on a C1 undercarriage without totally redesigning the car, the C2/C3 has much more potential.

I still want to see underbody pics, but based on what Ferrari has done with their street cars, they can take an undercarriage not much different than a C2/C3,and glue it to the ground at speed.

It took me a while to conceptualize what the underbody work on an Enzo does with air, but after I wrapped my head around it, it makes sense,and does work on that car.

I really want to see a ground level photo of the rear of the Corvette in question. I can almost guarantee, the rear valance is no longer a giant air scoop up into the gas tank area,and has been vented in a big way

Doug

Tapio@FTTRacing 07-12-2013 01:48 AM

There is no way a couple of pieces of sheet metal under the car are going to over come the hugh amount of air coming over the car and rolling under it.

The consept is really simple, and basicly works with any car when done right. The diffuser section in the rear causes negative pressure at the back of the car because it has a bigger volume than the area that the air flowing into it is coming from. This negative pressure accelerates the air under the car which puts the whole underside of the car under negative air pressure. This creates a vacuum effect under the car which sucks it into the ground and creates downforce. When its done right, it doesent matter if it's done on -65 corvette or new ferrari, the result is the same.

I bet Kimmo will give you pictures of the underside when he has time to take some.

Former67er 07-12-2013 01:49 AM

I really love to read this thread and how some of you guys want believe that he has done the record!!!:lurk:

Keep on going because I know that it will make him go even faster next time!:woohoo:

JJ66 07-12-2013 04:43 AM

200mph

Originally Posted by Former67er (Post 1584387153)
I really love to read this thread and how some of you guys want believe that he has done the record!!!:lurk:

Keep on going because I know that it will make him go even faster next time!:woohoo:

I also love this thread and wondering how some of you would not like to believe that the record is done over here in Finland instead of the US ..... sad :hide:
Go SIX-5 go. The next step will be 200mph. What about that :eek:

kipi79 07-12-2013 05:04 AM

Isn't it quite simple? :confused: :confused:

If the air moves faster under the car than above it, that creates down force that pushes the car towards the ground. In opposite case the air would lift the car. Isn't it quite simple rule of physics? The very same effect makes carburetors work.

To get the the air move faster under the car than above the car, there are two options to accomplish that. Either make the underline of the car streamer (which has been done here) or make some air dams above the car (spoiler is the more often used term for such air dam). the latter option is worse as it inherently increases the air resistance.

uxojerry 07-12-2013 05:33 AM

The unbelievers of this forum are amazing. If the Finn's did 194 mph with a 65 Ford Galaxy nobody would be questioning their integrity, lol. If a 54 Studebaker Lark can be made to hit 230 mph in the Tx mile, why can a 65 Corvette hit 194 with proper mods? The 67 Camaro "Big Red" hit 219 mph and it doesn't have a lot of aero mods, but a lot more hp.

63Corvette 07-12-2013 12:38 PM

All the photos show mostly nothing relavent to the story. Like some low budget cable show.

I have talked with other racers who had the same experiance, and they all said to over come this, you need an 18" wing with 1/4" wicker.

I would really like to know how this car was able to acheve these speeds with out exterior modifications????

In fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's principle states that for an inviscid flow, an increase in the speed of the fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure or a decrease in the fluid's potential energy.[

If you constrict a flow passage (pipe) but the flow remains the same, the pressure WITHIN the constriction decreases. This occurs even if you cut the constriction in half. Therefore an airplane wing (airfoil) is shaped like a section view of a pipe constriction, so the pressure drops over that portion of the airfoil. If you shape the underside of a car like the curved portion of an airfoil, the pressure between the underside of the chassis and the road will decrease (vacuum) holding the car tighter to the road without additional mass. I have driven both C2 and C3 Corvette coupes to more than 180mph at both Daytona and Talladega and can confirm that the C3 is more stable, but that both are capable without additional aero aids. I believe that the Sunray DX 67 L88s were driven more than 180mph (maybe 200mph) at LeMans and Daytona.
http://i39.tinypic.com/nzk8r8.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2wqa5h5.jpg

AZDoug 07-12-2013 05:57 PM

The is a rip off of the Enzo,.

Google Ferrari enzo underside

Doug

http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php...1&d=1288178092

63Corvette 07-12-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by AZDoug (Post 1584393277)
The is a rip off of the Enzo,.

Google Ferrari enzo underside

Doug

http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php...1&d=1288178092

Well.................if that is what the underside of this 65 Corvette looks like..................................um , it WORKS:D

SIX-5 07-13-2013 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by 63Corvette (Post 1584393648)
Well.................if that is what the underside of this 65 Corvette looks like..................................um , it WORKS:D

Close, i have 13 plates of metal there.

Wormhill 07-15-2013 05:26 AM

And even so simple solution as a totally flat plate creates a lot of downforce, as long as the front edge stays lower than the rear. And also it must be properly attached, as Kimmo said before, coz the forces are quite big at those speeds....

Good work Kimmo (and team), Worlds Fastest C2?? :cheers: :yesnod:

mr.stingray1973 07-15-2013 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wormhill (Post 1584409600)
And even so simple solution as a totally flat plate creates a lot of downforce, as long as the front edge stays lower than the rear. And also it must be properly attached, as Kimmo said before, coz the forces are quite big at those speeds....

Good work Kimmo (and team), Worlds Fastest C2?? :cheers: :yesnod:

standing mile ? :cool:

mr.stingray1973 07-15-2013 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 63Corvette (Post 1584393648)

same same but different :cool: ( "enzo" )

SIX-5 07-25-2013 03:47 AM

I make some uppgrades for airkit now.

It will take some time, but it will be ready for next event.

Also there will be Simpson parachute, to get stopping power.

Next step for 1 mile will be ??? mph.

To release info that how i make airkit, why?

I study it many years and test it so many times and make modifications.

I will try to go fast first, maby some day i tell.

For the next 1 mile run we will make recordings/videos of the run.

On that 311.3 run i got now "diagram".
I show that as soon as possible.

uxojerry 07-25-2013 04:14 AM

We are all rooting for you to break 200mph. Keeping trade secrets are part of racing. There are many who will not share cam specs, etc. Good Luck!!!

1coolC2 07-25-2013 05:30 AM

SIX-5,

Outstanding achievement!! Your research and modifications have yielded you phenomenal results. Very impressive machine indeed!! :thumbs: Best of luck cracking the 200mph barrier, we will be cheering you on!! I would love to see this car the next time I am in your vicinity. :cheers:

R/
Jeff

427Hotrod 07-25-2013 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1coolC2 (Post 1584496150)
SIX-5,

Outstanding achievement!! Your research and modifications have yielded you phenomenal results. Very impressive machine indeed!! :thumbs: Best of luck cracking the 200mph barrier, we will be cheering you on!! I would love to see this car the next time I am in your vicinity. :cheers:

R/
Jeff

Ditto!!:iagree::thumbs:

JIM

SIX-5 07-25-2013 01:54 PM

http://kuvaton.com/finnshark/l1F.jpg

This is on km/h.

It takes just under 30 sek to go 1 mile.

SIX-5 07-25-2013 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1coolC2 (Post 1584496150)
SIX-5,

R/
Jeff

You are welcome here.

Kimmo

SIX-5 07-25-2013 02:35 PM

http://kuvaton.com/finnshark/l1P.jpg

--------------- That is only one of many things that counts.

----------- (Underside), but not like enzo, that is for cornering.

--------------So now it does.

Lift chart below.

http://i39.tinypic.com/314z49y.jpg

--------------- Lift chart is for original C2 not modified.

vetrod62 07-25-2013 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by SIX-5 (Post 1584499827)
--------------- Lift chart is for original C2 not modified.

Every one is missing the rear end lift problem. Air dams, under body areo mods are great at keeping the car from lifting from the front. No argument there. My 62 tracks perfect at 165 and would do that at much higher speeds with the few simple mods I have made.

The rear shape of the 61-67 vettes pulls a hugh amount of air from the sides of the car wrapping around under the rear of the car. Added then you have the the hugh amount of air going over the rear of the car and going under the car, further lifting the back of the car.

That with the vacuum created under the car from the front areo mods, then it should increase the sucksion of air into the rear of the car, yes??

C3s have that very small spoiler in the back that changes everything.

I have tried several times to go over 200, but the rear lift is so much it starts spinning the rear tires at 165 so much that the car is too loose, I do not even think of shifting into 6th.

All the racers I have talked to say an 18" wing is needed with a quarter inch wicker.

What mods have you done to the rear to keep it down??

SIX-5 07-26-2013 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by vetrod62 (Post 1584504551)
Every one is missing the rear end lift problem. Air dams, under body areo mods are great at keeping the car from lifting from the front. No argument there. My 62 tracks perfect at 165 and would do that at much higher speeds with the few simple mods I have made.

The rear shape of the 61-67 vettes pulls a hugh amount of air from the sides of the car wrapping around under the rear of the car. Added then you have the the hugh amount of air going over the rear of the car and going under the car, further lifting the back of the car.

That with the vacuum created under the car from the front areo mods, then it should increase the sucksion of air into the rear of the car, yes??

All the racers I have talked to say an 18" wing is needed with a quarter inch wicker.

Sorry that i do not know the air circulation of C1, i think that it`s different than C2.

Also C3 has different rear end than C2.

I have focused only on C2 problems, when my friend get his C3 running i will study that and maby do something there also.

Front is from Lotus F1 with mods to make it fit to C2
Middle is mixed C6R and F1 and aeroplane tech
Rear is Jaguar F1 + new general F1 tech meaning, if someone want to know, go and study them.

This is all what i can say at the moment of airkit.

Races are right to say that wings are must to go that fast, only problem is that my car don`t have power for that, too much drag.

That is one reason to make "vacuum" and not drag, under the car, other is that my goal is to keep it "sleeper".

Former67er 07-26-2013 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by vetrod62 (Post 1584504551)

I think he will show what he had done to the rear part of the car... but first he will go over 200 mph and have it documented with clips, pictures, interviews and hopefully some official guy from states to see what really happens :D

Go SIX-5 Go :rock:

Poorhousenext 07-26-2013 11:14 AM

Six-5,

I like people like you who have a goal, go out and attempt to achieve that goal, if they accomplish that goal, great. If they fail, study problem(s) that cause them not to meet their goal and come back and accomplish their goal by figuring out a fix for problem.

Rare breed of people that can do that. You looked up to fix problem. We seem to look down and say it can't be done.

Like you said, maybe we should look up, see what F1, and European Sport Car makers have done to improved high speed lift by looking up from underneath, talk with Aerodynamic Engineer(s) for their thoughts about how problem could be lessen, then make modifications that might help fix problem and go out and try again and not only accomplish their goal, better it.

I found it interesting in the Lift Chart posted, just how much raising the headlamps on a C2 and C3 decreased Rear Lift.

It sure upped Frontal lift, but it shows just how much a change in airflow across top of car can change aerodynamics. May be that a C1 would have less lift with no top up or Hard top on to help stop some of it's rear lift problem at high speed. Maybe a nose Lip piece like ones on back of some cars would help.

If you don't experiment or only look down on a problem, you can never see that might correct it so one can reach their goal.

Keep up the work, and maybe another Rare Breed in US will take a look up and see if they too can get a C2's Standing Mile speed to match or better yours... :D

Keep your Competitors close to you and your Detractors at arms length away from your car and what you've done....:D

We share the same Spoiler to start with. We both increased it width from stock. Width may be be even more, maybe as much as and inch more, an it's length was changed so that ends terminate under center of turn signal housing. Did it for looks, wasn't thinking that much about high speed handling....LOL

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/PB020047.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/P8130604.jpg

Also my Coupe has 50/50 weight distribution without fuel. With full tank of fuel, it's 121 lbs heavier in the rear for total car weight of 3400 lbs.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/PC210115.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/PC210114.jpg

It's 300-400 lbs overweight compared to my 66 convertible, but convertible has 51%/49% weight distribution, not 50/50.

Hope you break 200 MPH next year.

cbernhardt 07-26-2013 12:45 PM

Perhaps I missed it somewhere in this posting, but does anyone know at what speed these measurements were taken?
Also how is the lift measured?

Charles

SIX-5 07-26-2013 01:25 PM

My goal is to improve 1mile speed this year.

I solve one problem. There is now repairs to do and it will be ready for next tournament.

1 mile runs
August ? (middle) i hope
September 14

There is 2 times to try to make record this year.

mr.stingray1973 07-26-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by SIX-5 (Post 1584508561)
My goal is to improve 1mile speed this year.

I solve one problem. There is now repairs to do and it will be ready for next tournament.

1 mile runs
August ? (middle) i hope
September 14

There is 2 times to try to make record this year.

be must there then :thumbs: :woohoo: