CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   The Non Wave (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3300152-the-non-wave.html)

NOMOREWORK 07-04-2013 06:26 PM

The Non Wave

Have read about this on numerous posts but this was my first personal experience. Went out for lunch with the wife 1 hour ride each way. On the way out passed a C6, on the way back passed 2, waved to all 3 but got no response ! Not like they didn't see me as I caught the eye of all 3! Have gotten waves from a variety of different Vette owners in the past both in return and initiated by them. What's up with the C6 crowd?

warlock007 07-04-2013 06:35 PM

not all of them think there better because the car has a blah lines car.. The ones hat have come up with them are always good, I think the ones that bought there first one dont understand we are a unique crowd.

703 07-04-2013 06:46 PM

They probably just don't know about it. I wouldn't have known about it when I was looking at getting a corvette. I only know about it because of this forum. However if someone waived at me I would probably waive back as a courtesy even If I didn't know the story behind it.

Evil-Twin 07-04-2013 06:52 PM

Some people think its too cool to wave, after all they just bought a C6and a corvette for the first time... others feel it is so cool to wave because they have entered into a unique club with a history of waving that is 60 years old. The problem with the non wavers is that they just don't get it. In my fifty years of waving, I have never personally felt it to be childish, immature, or silly. When I wave to a fellow Corvette enthusiast, IM recognizing the car, much like saluting the uniform in the military. If someone is courteous enough to return the salute, all the better. No matter how much my salute is ignored, It wont stop me from waving. Luckily, I rarely wave without getting a return wave.
Bill aka ET

JaxEagle 07-04-2013 07:13 PM

Just passed 3 C6's in my vert today. I almost fell out of the car waving at them so there is no way they didn't see me. I got a return wave from 1 of 3.

gtbbaby 07-04-2013 07:21 PM

You know I never could understand this fascination with "THE WAVE"
Does a VW owner wave at every other VW driver? I mean come on - how do you know who's behind the wheel ? Anyone can buy a vette, it could be a child molester driving it ......... you just don't know. I think deep down it's an EGO thing, " Hey look at me!" The Corvette is a nice car, that's why I own one .............. but I'm not in some secret exlcusive club - it's a car, a nice car mind you , but all in all it's just a car - we're not THE CHOSEN FEW. Just my 2 cents. By the way I'd say about 25% of the owners up here wave at me.:canadaflag:

road pilot 07-04-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by gtbbaby (Post 1584324134)
Does a VW owner wave at every other VW driver? I mean come on - how do you know who's behind the wheel ? Anyone can buy a vette, it could be a child molester driving it ......... you just don't know. I think deep down it's an EGO thing, " Hey look at me!" The Corvette is a nice car, that's why I own one .............. but I'm not in some secret exlcusive club - it's a car, a nice car mind you , but all in all it's just a car - we're not THE CHOSEN FEW. Just my 2 cents. By the way I'd say about 25% of the owners up here wave at me.:canadaflag:

'It's just a car"---boy that say's alot about what you really think of
corvettes.

gtbbaby 07-04-2013 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by road pilot (Post 1584324183)
'It's just a car"---boy that say's alot about what you really think of
corvettes.

If I didn't think it was a great car, why would I buy one - or why would I be on this forum ?!
All I'm saying is the "WAVE" seems a bit much.:cheers:

bobeast 07-04-2013 07:37 PM

For many of us, It's not "just a car". It is a lifestyle, and that is the point of the wave.

FASTAZU 07-04-2013 07:59 PM

:lurk: I do have a 73 bug and wave at others if I see one.

gtbbaby 07-04-2013 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by bobeast (Post 1584324210)
For many of us, It's not "just a car". It is a lifestyle, and that is the point of the wave.

Lifestyle = A manner of living that reflects the person's values and attitudes.

Just wondering how an automobile reflects a person's values and attitudes
? As I said, if Hitler was alive he could be driving a vette. Do you really think a car, in some unimaginable way, sets a persons way of living? What is it that happens in the other 23 hrs / day that your not driving it? How are these hours filled with your car in mind?

c5BlackBeauty 07-04-2013 08:39 PM

I think more of a C5 thing........so many may not be aware of the tradition. There are numbers of C6'ers out there that owned a C5 and would be aware. Keep waving.......:seeya

bobeast 07-04-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by gtbbaby (Post 1584324423)
Lifestyle = A manner of living that reflects the person's values and attitudes.

Just wondering how an automobile reflects a person's values and attitudes
? As I said, if Hitler was alive he could be driving a vette. Do you really think a car, in some unimaginable way, sets a persons way of living? What is it that happens in the other 23 hrs / day that your not driving it? How are these hours filled with your car in mind?

Hitler? really??

My wife might debate with you how much time I 'waste' over the next mod, or car show I attend. No question, though that it encompasses far more then just the hour or so I may be happening to drive it.

ZigZag 07-04-2013 08:42 PM

I just came back from going for an ice cream with my wife. I saw 1 C-6, 2 C-5's and an 05 GTO.( I have one also) I waved to all four and they all waved back. In fact in the month I've owned this car everyone has waved back.

Evil-Twin 07-04-2013 08:43 PM

Its a real shame you feel that way, but that's your prerogative. The wave has been around for 60 years. Its not some secret handshake, just something that was done to recognize a special community. You don't hear anyone saying:
Everyone should own at least one Volkswagen
Have you read the book, all Volkswagens are red
I wanted a Volkswagen all my life and now after putting the kids through college and paying for my three daughters weddings, I deserve to get myself a Volkswagen because I wanted one all my life.

Back in the fifties and sixties and seventies you would never consider not waving, and we are not talking kids here. we are talking grown men and women.
It doesn't hurt to wave, it doesn't make you any less of a person to wave, it doesn't cost you anything to wave. If you feel that waving is beneath your status in life, and something only the mindless do...then as I say, that's a shame.
Bill aka Et

wrj913 07-04-2013 08:51 PM

I usually don't get waves from C6's, they seem to not care for the culture. But i was outside today washing my c5 and 3 people not in corvettes waved at me.

Christee 07-04-2013 08:53 PM

Does a VW owner wave at every other VW driver?I mean come on - how do you know who's behind the wheel ? Anyone can buy a vette, it could be a child molester driving it ......... you just don't know. I think deep down it's an EGO thing, " Hey look at me!" The Corvette is a nice car, that's why I own one .............. but I'm not in some secret exlcusive club - it's a car, a nice car mind you , but all in all it's just a car - we're not THE CHOSEN FEW. Just my 2 cents. By the way I'd say about 25% of the owners up here wave at me.:canadaflag:

Jeep owners wave at each other. Trans Am/Firebird owners wave at each other...

$$$frumnuttin' 07-04-2013 08:55 PM

If you aren't getting a wave, you obviously aren't doing it right....you gotta adopt the gangsta lean technique....just keep one hand on the wheel and flip your fingers up gangsta style....like this, keeping the thumb on the wheel: now if that don't get a wave, turn around and rear end the bastard!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...psbedfdf1f.jpg

gtbbaby 07-04-2013 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin (Post 1584324573)
Its a real shame you feel that way, but that's your prerogative. The wave has been around for 60 years. Its not some secret handshake, just something that was done to recognize a special community. You don't hear anyone saying:
Everyone should own at least one Volkswagen
Have you read the book, all Volkswagens are red
I wanted a Volkswagen all my life and now after putting the kids through college and paying for my three daughters weddings, I deserve to get myself a Volkswagen because I wanted one all my life.

Back in the fifties and sixties and seventies you would never consider not waving, and we are not talking kids here. we are talking grown men and women.
It doesn't hurt to wave, it doesn't make you any less of a person to wave, it doesn't cost you anything to wave. If you feel that waving is beneath your status in life, and something only the mindless do...then as I say, that's a shame.
Bill aka Et

Point taken, but 'special' community - we just happened to make the same consumer purchase - does that make us special? a community? Funny I don't feel shameful, nor should I.

So your implying that a Volkswagen is beneath a corvette - they're just a different class of car - with that line of thinking, what about Ferrari owners ? Their cars are technically better than the vette - so should they have some complicated hand signal as they pass each other? Where does it end? I've been driving for 45 yrs. with many of my cars being performance cars and the only time we waved at another car is when we knew the person driving it. I guess we agree to disagree.

3tt3v8P 07-04-2013 09:08 PM

The wife and I took a cruise to Spearfish Canyon today. Seen a c6 and two c5's. Got waves from the c5's but not the c6. Even got a wave and thumbs up from a viper. Maybe the guy in the c6 didnt see me though. The hills are beautiful right now. Can't wait for the rally. Later all.