CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Cleaning the underside techniques? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3299985-cleaning-the-underside-techniques.html)

michaelinmech 07-04-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerVette (Post 1584322842)
If I ever came back as a car would like to come back as yours.....!! :thumbs:

So, I guess you're saving that your 'underside' needs attention . . . :D

speedraider 07-04-2013 03:52 PM

I used to have the ultimate way to clean the undercarriage. 3500 psi Hot water pressure cleaner with simple green. Water came out at 194 degrees and cleaned everything. Made a 20 year old undercarriage look like new again.

rsssguy 07-04-2013 04:28 PM

Only way to really do it the right way is remove wheels. I do mine one at a time. I wax all suspension components, calipers, etc. I just removed my fuel tank covers and had them powder coated red. I wax anything that has a smooth finish. I learned on the forum about alumibrite and I use that on control arms and anything aluminum. I have a CE vert Callaway with the 5 spoke wheels. I painted wheel barrels to match and I occasionally touch those up in the process. Mine is lowered all the way on stock bolts with CF side skirts. No way is a wand going to work to get it as clean as I like. I can easily spend anywhere from 10 or 12 hours but I sleep better when it's done.

michaelinmech 07-04-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by rsssguy (Post 1584323125)
Only way to really do it the right way is remove wheels. I do mine one at a time. I wax all suspension components, calipers, etc. I just removed my fuel tank covers and had them powder coated red. I wax anything that has a smooth finish. I learned on the forum about alumibrite and I use that on control arms and anything aluminum. I have a CE vert Callaway with the 5 spoke wheels. I painted wheel barrels to match and I occasionally touch those up in the process. Mine is lowered all the way on stock bolts with CF side skirts. No way is a wand going to work to get it as clean as I like. I can easily spend anywhere from 10 or 12 hours but I sleep better when it's done.

I'm guessing you hand wash and iron your Fruit-of-the Looms . . . . :D

Cybernetic Medic 07-04-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerVette (Post 1584322842)
If I ever came back as a car would like to come back as yours.....!! :thumbs:

:rofl: All I can say is... I don't think I want to go there! I forgot to mention that Simple Green is also not good for the composite springs.

rsssguy 07-04-2013 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584323154)

I never did any of this stuff in my C5. I just drove the wheels off it. This one activated the O.C.D. In me though. I do a bunch of shows in this car and the judges are always looking for a way to separate the vettes as all of them are meticulously clean on the top. I only have 3600 miles on mine right now and have done this probably 5 times already. Got caught in rain last week so it's gonna be a very long day in the not to distant future. Not today tho. Time to grab beverages and barbecue. Happy 4th evry1.

rsssguy 07-04-2013 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584323154)

You might have Corvette O.C.D. If you spend 3 or 4 hours using a razor blade to remove the rubber casting nubs from the side walls of both sides of your tires..........Hey, it makes the tire dressing go on smoother. Or at least that's how I justified it in my own mine:willy:

RocketDawg 07-04-2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by rsssguy (Post 1584323313)
You might have Corvette O.C.D. If you spend 3 or 4 hours using a razor blade to remove the rubber casting nubs from the side walls of both sides of your tires..........Hey, it makes the tire dressing go on smoother. Or at least that's how I justified it in my own mine:willy:

Probably could use toenail clippers too. And maybe diagonal cutters or end nippers.

rsssguy 07-04-2013 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by RocketDawg (Post 1584323408)
Probably could use toenail clippers too. And maybe diagonal cutters or end nippers.

Yup, but with a brand new razor blade, if you grab em individually and stretch em out, cuts it nice and close. Can't even see where they were at. Slightly over the top though..... Crappy part is no one but me knows I did it. Kinda like powder coated fuel tank covers. Mine is way low to see that kind of detail......

Steve_R 07-04-2013 06:27 PM

People wash the underside of their car? Who knew?

I drive mine.

fast-vette 07-05-2013 07:42 AM

When I show my '48 Lincoln Continental I did wipe the bottom with WD40 and a rag which worked very well and did impress the judges.

TLS_Addict 07-05-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by SK360 (Post 1584321802)
Out of sight out of mind?

Sort of like the women who cant see their nips or the dudes who cant see..well, you know.

Originally Posted by Don-Vette (Post 1584321886)
Get some rags, jack up car and start cleaning. Am I missing something here? Lol

:smash:

56belair 07-05-2013 11:43 AM

underside

www.kwik-lift.com

HEB 07-05-2013 01:36 PM

I have always cleaned the underside of all my vettes,but then agin I don't drive in the winter and very seldom in the rain so there is not much to clean:cheers:

Yes I have a kwik-Lift makes it a lot easier,I just go under on the creeper with some good country music on and scrub the baby up!!!Therapy for me when I was working.

noz34me 07-05-2013 01:46 PM

I think you need a woman. She will take your mind off such nonsense.

Bill Dearborn 07-05-2013 01:57 PM

Wait until the bottom of the car is covered with heavy brake pad and rotor dust, that has gotten wet from driving in the rain followed by the power steering pump seal blowing power steering fluid all over the driver's side bottom of the car. That is when you decide to leave well enough alone and forget about something that only a person you run over will see.

Bill

PatriotZ 07-05-2013 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by rsssguy (Post 1584323579)
Yup, but with a brand new razor blade, if you grab em individually and stretch em out, cuts it nice and close. Can't even see where they were at. Slightly over the top though..... Crappy part is no one but me knows I did it. Kinda like powder coated fuel tank covers. Mine is way low to see that kind of detail......

Oh Yea?.....well I powder coated the inside of my fuel tank but just the left side as no one will ever see the right side:rofl::rofl::flag:.......
(guess I better add on that I am entirely kidding and this isn't for real....as some may believe that I actually did this)....Just trying to keep up with rssguy:flag:

Rich Mickol 07-05-2013 07:08 PM

Sorry, I don't worry about it.

Johnathon59 07-05-2013 07:40 PM

I use a pressure washer & just clean what I can get at, wheel wells etc. *:yesnod:*

FlyerVette 07-05-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic (Post 1584323252)
:rofl: All I can say is... I don't think I want to go there! I forgot to mention that Simple Green is also not good for the composite springs.

Well...........didn't mean it quite that way.........lol...:leaving: