CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Finally got my seat skins installed! PIC HEAVY!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3297255-finally-got-my-seat-skins-installed-pic-heavy.html)

Maybizel 07-02-2013 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by bthollow (Post 1584309686)
Good on you for taking this on and achieving a pretty good end result. Sure, it can use a bit of adjustment tweaking to smooth out the wrinkles but that's to be expected for a first time install effort on something that's not the easiest DIY job. It's on my list of future "to dos".

Thank you. I take a lot of pride in my car and thats probably why I took offense to the other guys comments. Good luck to you when you go to do this on your car. Definitly buy the seat foam when you do it. It is such an improvement over the factory.:thumbs:

JaxEagle 07-03-2013 08:34 AM

Looks very nice!!!!!

1bdvet 07-03-2013 08:35 AM

:cool:

supercool 07-03-2013 08:39 AM

I think you did a good job, I did mine myself and the drivers side took some tweeking to come out right. I'm sure when you asked "hey guys what do you think"..I'm sure it was really "I did this myself and i'm proud"..And you should be proud of your car ,:thumbs:awesome job.

Shirl 07-03-2013 08:53 AM

Those wrinkles aren't bad at all!! That looks GREAT for a DIY job!! When my seat covers came, they were folded up and wrinkled. I used a couple techniques to get them straightened out and fitting perfect. If I were you, I wouldn't even touch those other than to maybe pull them a little tighter. If it bothers you, you can do what I did: use a paper bag and an iron to iron the wrinkles out. You just lay the bag on the leather and iron onto the bag. The wrinkles will smooth out and disappear. Only do that on the leather parts though.. I'm not sure if it would work on seude. Really though, does it matter that much? You're going to have a ton of wrinkles all over the seats when everyone sits on them!! Good luck and nice job!! :thumbs:

Maybizel 07-03-2013 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by supercool (Post 1584311346)
I think you did a good job, I did mine myself and the drivers side took some tweeking to come out right. I'm sure when you asked "hey guys what do you think"..I'm sure it was really "I did this myself and i'm proud"..And you should be proud of your car ,:thumbs:awesome job.

Thanks alot for the kind words.

Originally Posted by Shirl (Post 1584311431)
Those wrinkles aren't bad at all!! That looks GREAT for a DIY job!! When my seat covers came, they were folded up and wrinkled. I used a couple techniques to get them straightened out and fitting perfect. If I were you, I wouldn't even touch those other than to maybe pull them a little tighter. If it bothers you, you can do what I did: use a paper bag and an iron to iron the wrinkles out. You just lay the bag on the leather and iron onto the bag. The wrinkles will smooth out and disappear. Only do that on the leather parts though.. I'm not sure if it would work on seude. Really though, does it matter that much? You're going to have a ton of wrinkles all over the seats when everyone sits on them!! Good luck and nice job!! :thumbs:

Thank you very much for the tips. I will try it out this weekend. :thumbs:

schpenxel 06-25-2014 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Maybizel (Post 1584318742)
Thank you very much for the tips. I will try it out this weekend. :thumbs:

Sorry to bump an old thread.. but I am curious whether this (iron + paper bag) worked for you? I am looking at putting new covers on mine as well soon and certainly want to avoid the wrinkled look.

I have also seen a suggestion to use a heat gun (very carefully) to help shrink the leather to get rid of minor wrinkles. I was curious to see how the iron worked for you

Also, after looking at seat covers I started noticing all the wrinkles on seats in brand new cars from the factory.. so they aren't exactly doing a perfect job either.

MotoJB 06-25-2014 11:56 AM

Looks great! Good job!

needdlex 06-25-2014 12:02 PM

I think they look excellent! Since you did the work yourself, you probably will never be 100% in love with them, I'm the same way with my projects.

I need to redo the seats in my car, and I love the fact that yours have a suede look on the centers and the center console. I personally think that is absolutely AMAZING!

I'm incredibly Jealous.

Grim Reaper 06-25-2014 12:13 PM

:thumbs: nice

4XLR8N 06-25-2014 12:35 PM

OP - love the design and FWIW I think the install is fine. :thumbs:

Perfect? No...but then, neither is mine...

see post #47 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...project-3.html

...and from what I have seen here on CF, most of the DIY installs aren't.

I understand that a pro with decades of experience is going to be able to achieve better results and would not be satisfied with the level of work you and I are capable of. That's OK.

If YOU like it (as I do mine)...that's what really counts. :cheers:

Rock on! :rock:

frsr06 06-25-2014 09:20 PM

After 6 months the installs all look the same as the leather stretches and the foam settles. I would not get too worried about a couple of wrinkles.

The install looks great!:cheers:

grumpysob 06-25-2014 09:36 PM

Can you send me a picture of your radio bezel? I thinking about putting a different radio in my 2K and need some ideas.

Thanks,
grumpysob