CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Can I disable OnStar? They're spying on me! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3295093-can-i-disable-onstar-theyre-spying-on-me.html)

StuSegal 06-25-2013 06:19 PM

Can I disable OnStar? They're spying on me!

My new Grand Sport which I picked up from Kerbeck's final C6 inventory came with OnStar (my '06, which I ordered from the factory, did not).

So, at the one month interval, today, they sent me an email entitled "Your June OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics report from your Chevrolet Corvette Coupe", in which they tell me my mileage, my oil life, the condition of my airbags, etc.

WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE TO BE GATHERING INFORMATION FROM MY VEHICLE???? CAN I SHUT IT OFF???

My position is this - - I've been driving for 46 years, and have been driving Vettes for 41 years . . . . and somehow have been able to successfully own, drive and maintain my cars without anyone covertly gathering data on the cars. I can track my own information just fine.

As to the other features, I have an iPhone, and a Nav system . . . so why do I need OnStar?

Can you guys enlighten me? Am I just being paranoid for no reason?

Thanks . . . Stu

flange 06-25-2013 06:21 PM

I didnt like it either, but like the rest of life, big brother is watching. after six months when the trial ends, they wont send you reports anymore, just offers ot renew, lol. some have ripped the boxes out. others dotn drive their car in fear of the box. Me, i just drive it. if they contact me without authorization we got problems.

CodyC6 06-25-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by StuSegal (Post 1584246964)

Am I just being paranoid for no reason?

Stu

Yes.

Ryan5508 06-25-2013 06:28 PM

I don't mind the reports so much. Yet when my free subscription ends I definitely don't want to hear from them anymore. If they pop in one time while I'm driving the entire systems getting disconnected.

Homer3D 06-25-2013 06:31 PM

Why don't you just pull the OnStar fuse?

EDIT: You think it is annoying that they email you reports about your car? Wait until they call you through OnStar with no warning, no nothing, someone just starts talking and that person is trying to get you to provide a credit card number.

Gman in NC 06-25-2013 06:44 PM

I do believe you can hit the 'blue' button and tell them that you want permanently disconnected from their system. Ordered my '05' without OnStar as well.

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 06:52 PM

You can slide the onstar box to the right and it will come off the windshield. Then pull the wires out of the window trim until you see the connection and unplug it. Bye, bye Onstar...

red2012 06-25-2013 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by StuSegal (Post 1584246964)

WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE TO BE GATHERING INFORMATION FROM MY VEHICLE???? CAN I SHUT IT OFF???

Thanks . . . Stu

Just out of curiosity what the hell does it matter. I have had it for 2 years and I could care less if they tracked me to Harlem picking up hookers and buying blow. Is your life going to change because they know how many miles or how much oil life is left on your car. Gimme a break. They could care less what your doing!

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1584247248)
Just out of curiosity what the hell does it matter. I have had it for 2 years and I could care less if they tracked me to Harlem picking up hookers and buying blow. Is your life going to change because they know how many miles or how much oil life is left on your car. Gimme a break. They could care less what your doing!

Remember a few years ago they (GM) were going to collect data from your Onstar box unless you opted out (even if you weren't subscribed) and there was such an outcry about it, they dropped that idea? You can believe if they were going to go to all the effort to do that, someone was going to pay them for that information....

red2012 06-25-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584247298)
Remember a few years ago it they (GM) were going to collect data from your Onstar box unless you opted out (even if you weren't subscribed) and there was such an outcry about it they dropped the that idea? You can believe if they were going to go to all the effort to do that, someone was going to pay them for that information....

Randy let me put it to you this way. In all the years you have been on this forum have you ever heard of onstar affecting someones life? ( in a bad way ) If you have I would like to hear the story.

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1584247345)
Randy let me put it to you this way. In all the years you have been on this forum have you ever heard of onstar affecting someones life? ( in a bad way ) If you have I would like to hear the story.

I have not, but it's not hard to imagine how easy it would be for insurance companies to match up VIN#s and recorded speeds. You have to believe there was a reason they wanted to track all onstar boxes if you were subscribed or not. What reason other than to gather information and sell it?

I try not to wear a tinfoil cap, but with all the invasion of privacy going on lately, I have several on hand....:D

Kenny94945 06-25-2013 07:13 PM

OP Are you using a proxy server for posting and searching Corvette Form?

Big Brother is here.

Yes, do a search on this forum. I have seen a step by step on how to remove the module and the antenna so On Star does not communicate.

glenB 06-25-2013 07:16 PM

The US government is spying on you and knows more about you than your mother, and you complain about OnStar?

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny94945 (Post 1584247432)
OP Are you using a proxy server for posting and searching Corvette Form?

Big Brother is here.

Yes, do a search on this forum. I have seen a step by step on how to remove the module and the antenna so On Star does not communicate.

Sad, but true....

StuSegal 06-25-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584247422)
I try not to wear a tinfoil cap, but with all the invasion of privacy going on lately, I have several on hand....:D

Right on brother! If back in the 50's someone told you that the government was logging your every phone call, and GM knew exactly where your car was every minute of every day, you would have said, "IMPOSSIBLE, this is America, not Russia!"

I also have not wrapped my head in tinfoil, but I am so disgusted with invasions of privacy that I can't control, that I want to at least minimize those that I can.

red2012 06-25-2013 07:38 PM

If your cell phone is on ( which most people do ) you can be tracked. And your worried about onstar?

StuSegal 06-25-2013 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1584247651)
If your cell phone is on ( which most people do ) you can be tracked. And your worried about onstar?

Actually, yes. I am bothered by things like EZPass, and OnStar, which are attached to the vehicle and can be used to track speed.

And before you call me crazy, how is it different from the "red light cameras" just installed in my state? They can't detect who is driving the vehicle, but they can detect when the vehicle breaks the law (runs a red light), and they issue the ticket to the owner of the car.

If that is legal, do you rule out the possibility that eventually EZPass and OnStar (and maybe other devices, like cellphones) will be used to determine if a vehicle is breaking the law?

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by StuSegal (Post 1584247717)
Actually, yes. I am bothered by things like EZPass, and OnStar, which are attached to the vehicle and can be used to track speed.

And before you call me crazy, how is it different from the "red light cameras" just installed in my state? They can't detect who is driving the vehicle, but they can detect when the vehicle breaks the law (runs a red light), and they issue the ticket to the owner of the car.

If that is legal, do you rule out the possibility that eventually EZPass and OnStar (and maybe other devices, like cellphones) will be used to determine if a vehicle is breaking the law?

:iagree:

What an easy way to raise revenue.... seat belt unlatched-ticket, exceeded speed limit-ticket, excessive acceleration-ticket. No, we're not there yet, but we are heading there if we let it happen.

JJC5 06-25-2013 07:56 PM

Really? I bet you're one of those that blanks out his license plate when you post pictures of your Vette even though 8 million people see it on the road every day.
Jest messin with ya!...:cheers:

red2012 06-25-2013 08:01 PM

The fact of the matter is a red light camera IS catching you doing something illegal. Whats the difference if a cop or a camera is posted on the corner. Don't go thru the red light and you have no worries. Right now Onstar and EZ-PASS are doing nothing to get you in trouble so what is your worry. Your making up hypothetical situations that don't exist and until that time arrives lighten up. EZ-PASS AND ONSTAR DON'T TRACK OR CARE WHAT YOU DO!

KX 06-25-2013 08:03 PM

I can see where some of you do not like the POSSIBILITY of being tracked or what ever. But unless you are a criminal and have something of INTEREST to hide, no big deal. It is a car, cars do not of themselves do bad things. I could care less if Big Brother or what ever legit entity tracks me, listens to my calls or reads my e-mail. Even to try to sell me something, because I have the power of NO and have absolutely nothing to hide or worry about. And if they want to listen to my farting in the car, so be it...have fun guys!

dvilin 06-25-2013 08:04 PM

:willy:Really? Seriously? Come on, wow what next on the they are spying on me list.

Steve_R 06-25-2013 08:06 PM

If this doesn't help:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithab...infoil-hat.jpg

You might need this:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithab...77dcd0703e.jpg

red2012 06-25-2013 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by KX (Post 1584247877)
I can see where some of you do not like the POSSIBILITY of being tracked or what ever. But unless you are a criminal and have something of INTEREST to hide, no big deal. It is a car, cars do not of themselves do bad things. I could care less if Big Brother or what ever legit entity tracks me, listens to my calls or reads my e-mail. Even to try to sell me something, because I have the power of NO and have absolutely nothing to hide or worry about. And if they want to listen to my farting in the car, so be it...have fun guys!

:thumbs:Couldn't agree with you more. Could care less what they do.If they also want to listen to me and the GF in the car I can spice it up for them too.

Homer3D 06-25-2013 08:16 PM

Hmm...seems to be a lot of paranoia going on here.

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/pa...rder-symptoms/

fred D 06-25-2013 08:23 PM

Guns don't shoot people, people do.. Cars don't break laws, people do..

Wayne O 06-25-2013 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1584247345)

You won't....it would be corporate suicide if they did. There are legitimate surveillance concerns but OnStar isn't one of them. The OnStar paranoia is ridiculous.

IrishSpuds 06-25-2013 08:31 PM

Dude - one of the funniest posts EVER!! I hollered but with my 9 & 7 year old sitting on the couch I had to inprovise as to my hollering. Greatly appreciated.

glenB 06-25-2013 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by KX (Post 1584247877)

I use to think like you. I had nothing to hide and still have nothing to hide, but now, after thinking more about the issue in broader terms, when they have the power to covertly infringe on my rights, not publicly, but covertly, then they have the power, and the will, to ignore me, and you, when we say No!

jdk541 06-25-2013 09:09 PM

:iagree:

michaelinmech 06-25-2013 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584247422)
I have not, but it's not hard to imagine how easy it would be for insurance companies to match up VIN#s and recorded speeds. You have to believe there was a reason they wanted to track all onstar boxes if you were subscribed or not. What reason other than to gather information and sell it?

Do you think it's timely and appropriate to start a Thread on which brand of tinfoil makes the best cap . . . and perhaps a second Thread on popular mods to your tinfoil cap ??? :confused2:

LSD 2005 06-25-2013 09:29 PM

:iagree::iagree:

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584248573)
Do you think it's timely and appropriate to start a Thread on which brand of tinfoil makes the best cap . . . and perhaps a second Thread on popular mods to your tinfoil cap ??? :confused2:

I'm thinking the heavy duty stuff to be safe...:D

And don't forget everyone in the family...:rock:

Attachment 47728238

StuSegal 06-25-2013 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by glenB (Post 1584248380)
I had nothing to hide and still have nothing to hide, but now, after thinking more about the issue in broader terms, when they have the power to covertly infringe on my rights, not publicly, but covertly, then they have the power, and the will, to ignore me, and you, when we say No!

Nothing to hide? Yes. Me too. Unless we are counting every time I exceed the posted speed limit - which is pretty darned frequently. Could you imagine what it would be like if our cars actually reported our violations?

You are absolutely right. I don't remember anyone asking our permission for the police to use radar, or speed guns . . . or redlight cameras. Or, apparently, cellphone records. And they certainly won't be asking our permission to take the next step, be it OnStar, EZPass, or whatever.

FlyerVette 06-25-2013 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584248641)

Attachment 47728238

Knock it off Randy........you're having too much fun....!! :leaving:

MelAnn 06-25-2013 09:42 PM

One thing I haven't seen discussed......

While making your hat, make sure the shiny side is "out".

Steve_R 06-25-2013 09:43 PM

Attachment 47728238

That's not a family. This is a family. :D

http://bigrab.files.wordpress.com/20...n-foil-hat.jpg

michaelinmech 06-25-2013 09:43 PM

Since your experienced, do you think it would be OK if I add Z51 emblems to my foil cap :flag:

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by StuSegal (Post 1584248657)
Nothing to hide? Yes. Me too. Unless we are counting every time I exceed the posted speed limit - which is pretty darned frequently. Could you imagine what it would be like if our cars actually reported our violations?

You are absolutely right. I don't remember anyone asking our permission for the police to use radar, or speed guns . . . or redlight cameras. Or, apparently, cellphone records. And they certainly won't be asking our permission to take the next step, be it OnStar, EZPass, or whatever.

:rofl::rofl:

Yep, a few people would be changing their tune wouldn't they? It's really not that far fetched to think someday that will be a reality. The technology is already there, but hey, who cares.....:crazy:

red2012 06-25-2013 09:47 PM

. I don't remember anyone asking our permission for the police to use radar, or speed guns . . . or redlight cameras.

You my friend are out of control and paranoid. While you are at it, take away their guns also and just let society run rampant and do whatever they want. When a cop pulls you over for speeding do you tell him he infringed on your rights because he used a speed gun without your permission? You have a twisted way of thinking.

michaelinmech 06-25-2013 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by MelAnn (Post 1584248740)

Good gawd . . . NOW I'm gonna have to start over :toetap:

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1584248747)
That's not a family. This is a family. :D

http://bigrab.files.wordpress.com/20...n-foil-hat.jpg

That was a great movie.. :yesnod:

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584248751)
Since your experienced, do you think it would be OK if I add Z51 emblems to my foil cap :flag:

Only if you add the C7 emblem too..:rock::rock::rock:

michaelinmech 06-25-2013 09:52 PM

You are absolutely right. I don't remember anyone asking our permission for the police to use radar, or speed guns . . . or redlight cameras.

Ahhhhhhhh, but they did indeed ask our permission for all the above. And your elected representatives/officials approved the same. . . . . :flag:

StuSegal 06-25-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1584248794)
You my friend are out of control and paranoid. While you are at it, take away their guns also and just let society run rampant and do whatever they want. When a cop pulls you over for speeding do you tell him he infringed on your rights because he used a speed gun without your permission? You have a twisted way of thinking.

I'm not suggesting we disempower the police, who do a necessary and usually outstanding job of enforcing our laws . . . but when I see the justification for "redlight cameras", which has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with government revenue, it makes me just a tad cynical.

People driving slightly above speed limits is not exactly "society running rampant".

JJC5 06-25-2013 09:59 PM

What difference does it make if a red light camera or a cop catches you? Break the law, you pay....period.

StuSegal 06-25-2013 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1584248930)
What difference does it make if a red light camera or a cop catches you? Break the law, you pay....period.

With thinking like that, maybe we should all buy Prius', or put governors on our Vettes so they can't exceed 65 mph.

TKrug007 06-25-2013 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1584247651)

Actually you can be tracked with it off, voice communications and video recorded can also be captured unless the battery is removed.

:flaghalfmast: (Paying respects to the passing of what used to be known as our country)

Racer 06-25-2013 10:27 PM

They have been spying on me for 20 +years. :eek:
I have yet to see my life been changed by it.
Do you have a tin hat?

michaelinmech 06-25-2013 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1584249151)
Do you have a tin hat?

The difference is, that they have Damn Good Reasons to be spying on you :skep:

R&L's C6 06-25-2013 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1584249151)
Do you have a tin hat?

They're just looking at your avatars....:D

su8pack1 06-25-2013 10:33 PM

:hide:

redrckt97 06-25-2013 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by MelAnn (Post 1584248740)

and protect it with Rejex , or Zaino .. or........

Vette_DD 06-25-2013 10:51 PM

Edited for content.