CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   NEED HELP for best choice of drag tire (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/3294732-need-help-for-best-choice-of-drag-tire.html)

Steve@C56 06-25-2013 03:17 AM

NEED HELP for best choice of drag tire

This weekend, race on well prep track (i think, in the 3 best track for 60ft in europe, after Santa Pod and perhaps hockenheim), but, it's only a airfield who is using 5 times a year this year (and just twice last year).

So, i was hoping to hit the 10 (11.1 last month with 1.7 60ft with my SC/header/640 lift blower cam/e85/STOCK MN6/rear/axles/5 years ET-Street/DEAD CLUTCH)

So, i replace the clutch for a Spec3+ ;-)

BUT, when putting my left ET street (17/11.5/26), i see he is DEAD (seeing the ROPE on 1/3 circumference and 1 inch width... WOOW)

So, i have race (13 passes), the tire doesnt broke (i'm Lucky, i know), but not possible to do better than 1.761 60ff/11.211 and LOOSING 3 or 4 mph :( :( :(

I NEED NEW TIRE ;-)

Two solution for whell :

The actual C4 ZR1 17inch i use now (10" wide)
Or camaro 4th 16inch i can have at good price (8" wide), just have to grid a little the brake

What choice for tire ?

Buy the same ET STREET in 17/11.5/26 inch ?

Or buy Hoosier ?

2013 QUICK TIME PRO D.O.T.
Item Tire Size Tread Tread Approx. Approx. Recom. Measured Section Tire Model
Number Pattern Width Dia Circ Rim Rim * Width Weight
17431 26x 9.50-16LT D 8.0" 26.1" 82.0" 6-8" 8" 9.3" 18 Quick Time Pro (less wide than ET Street, but 16"... what's better ?)
17603 28x11.50-16LT D 10.0" 28.0" 88.0" 8-10" 10" 11.8" 24 Quick Time Pro (as wider than ET Street, but 16", and 28"... what's better ?)

2013 DRAG RACING
Item Tire Size Tread Tread Approx. Approx. Recom. Measured Section Tire Model
Number Pattern Width Dia Circ Rim Rim * Width Weight
18157 28.0/10.0-17 C 9.5" 28.0" 88.0" 8-10" 8" 11.3" 23 D06(less wide than ET Street, but 28", and other Compound... what's better ?)

Thanks ;-)

4DRUSH 06-25-2013 09:41 AM

With you're power level, I'd stay with the 26" tire (same tire you had)

Steve@C56 06-25-2013 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH (Post 1584242130)
With you're power level, I'd stay with the 26" tire (same tire you had)

Thanks, but just for my information, what is the power level for going in 28 (in MN6 and 3.42 rear)

What powerlevel you think i have ? (Never dyno, but according to my, v3si/smaller 3.4 pulley/640lift cam/2" header/e85/12afr/22°advance/probably 12/13psi at 7000rpm... ?)

One month ago,i was shifting at 7100rpm and hitting the limitor(7400rpm) in 3th gear 100ft before the 1/4m line (and this with death clutch and death tire)... i was hopping going a lot faster than 11.1@129 with my new clutch (was thinking to a 10.xxx@13x with perfect lunch/shift/luck)

According my math the too high 7400rpm at 1/4m line with my 26 setup should be... a correct 6400rpm@130 or 6900@139 at always in 3th gear with a 28 setup

I talk about that because i plan to upgrave soon :
1-Have to change my damper, and probably buy a 8inch instead to the 7.5stock one, going from 12/13psi to 13.5/14.6psi...
2-Add a homemade icewater spray on the ic for cooling down the iat
3-Add a homemade input "venturi effect" (i think) of SC for more psi

What should be my power level a this stage ?

So, if i stay in 26, i had to go in 4th gear...
In 28... not...

A lot of data/ask/math, i know :ack:

4DRUSH 06-25-2013 11:05 AM

That was my opinion, if you want more, I suggest you ask in the Drag Racing Section or the C5 Performance Results Section.

Especially the C5 Performance Results Section, they love drag racing six speed cars.

fotoboy 06-25-2013 12:06 PM

I'd stay with the et streets. They seem to be better for mn6 cars. I know time I ran them w Hc spray. I was dead to right consistent on et and 60 ft. Now w a bit more power and fi w Hoosier I am all over the board. I have no issues getting the ER streets heated wo a line lock but w the Hoosiers I can seem to do it to save my life.

stevieturbo 06-25-2013 12:58 PM

Steve, a lot of the racing I do is on airfields. Some plain asphalt, some a more abrasive concrete type surface.

Ive used MT ET Streets, MT DR's and Hoosier drag radials.

By far the best tyre among those was the Hoosier drag radial. The ET Streets were the slowest.

The more dedicated drag tyres may like a prepped surface, but they do not work as well on a crappy surface which almost all airfields are.
I tried the ET Streets and MT DR's on the same day, and the DR's were consistently 0.2s quicker.
I then tried the Hoosiers on another date, same track, plain asphalt runway. Again these were a further 0.2s quicker.

From my experience, you cannot compare times/tyres on fully prepped drag strips that the guys have all over the place in the US
Those surfaces etc are all like glue itself. Normal airfields are like ice by comparison.

I'd also say that dont do big burnouts with the Hoosiers, they dont need it. Maybe just a small one to clean them. I destroyed a set in a day doing rolling 2nd gear burnouts ( no static burnouts allowed as it would damage the runway )
Needless to say I didnt do that with the second set, they cost too damn much here in the UK !!

Steve@C56 06-25-2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH (Post 1584242884)
That was my opinion, if you want more, I suggest you ask in the Drag Racing Section or the C5 Performance Results Section.

Especially the C5 Performance Results Section, they love drag racing six speed cars.

Good idea ;-)

Steve@C56 06-25-2013 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by fotoboy (Post 1584243405)
I'd stay with the et streets. They seem to be better for mn6 cars. I know time I ran them w Hc spray. I was dead to right consistent on et and 60 ft. Now w a bit more power and fi w Hoosier I am all over the board. I have no issues getting the ER streets heated wo a line lock but w the Hoosiers I can seem to do it to save my life.

yes, havent line lock

Steve@C56 06-25-2013 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1584243988)
Steve, a lot of the racing I do is on airfields. Some plain asphalt, some a more abrasive concrete type surface.

Ive used MT ET Streets, MT DR's and Hoosier drag radials.

By far the best tyre among those was the Hoosier drag radial. The ET Streets were the slowest.

The more dedicated drag tyres may like a prepped surface, but they do not work as well on a crappy surface which almost all airfields are.
I tried the ET Streets and MT DR's on the same day, and the DR's were consistently 0.2s quicker.
I then tried the Hoosiers on another date, same track, plain asphalt runway. Again these were a further 0.2s quicker.

From my experience, you cannot compare times/tyres on fully prepped drag strips that the guys have all over the place in the US
Those surfaces etc are all like glue itself. Normal airfields are like ice by comparison.

I'd also say that dont do big burnouts with the Hoosiers, they dont need it. Maybe just a small one to clean them. I destroyed a set in a day doing rolling 2nd gear burnouts ( no static burnouts allowed as it would damage the runway )
Needless to say I didnt do that with the second set, they cost too damn much here in the UK !!

WOW... 0.2s...
Also, i always Rolling 2nd gear burnouts
And... i will probably buy in UK... but have to paid custom over your already expersive price :(

stevieturbo 06-25-2013 05:47 PM

It's a nightmare Steve.

I use 255/50x16's. I bought them from Hoosier UK, except they still dont keep any stocks, so just import them when you order.
I priced a couple of places and there must be a monopoly in pricing, as other retailers were the same price, just Hoosier offered me cheaper shipping.
It basically cost be about UK £540 for two tyres !!! £30-40 of that being shipping.
I think the actual tyres were £215 + VAT each so £516 for just the tyres.

If you can find someone in the US to ship them at sensible money, it could well work out cheaper. Unfortunately while tyres are light, they take up volume, and are classed as hazardous, so shipping is never cheap.

If you can find a European stockist, maybe it would be cheaper ? A quick google shows there is a Hoosier dealer in Poland ?

Steve@C56 06-26-2013 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1584246689)
It's a nightmare Steve.

I use 255/50x16's. I bought them from Hoosier UK, except they still dont keep any stocks, so just import them when you order.
I priced a couple of places and there must be a monopoly in pricing, as other retailers were the same price, just Hoosier offered me cheaper shipping.
It basically cost be about UK £540 for two tyres !!! £30-40 of that being shipping.
I think the actual tyres were £215 + VAT each so £516 for just the tyres.

If you can find someone in the US to ship them at sensible money, it could well work out cheaper. Unfortunately while tyres are light, they take up volume, and are classed as hazardous, so shipping is never cheap.

If you can find a European stockist, maybe it would be cheaper ? A quick google shows there is a Hoosier dealer in Poland ?

No stock ??? Agrrr
I havent decide yet my tire to buy... But i NEED them before the next race (17/7)
So... i'll buy in us :flag:

stevieturbo 06-26-2013 02:52 AM

They may keep stock of some sizes. They seem to order stuff in every other Friday. And that arrives with them on Wednesday. So it isn't slow by any means. Just expensive

Steve@C56 06-26-2013 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1584250271)
They may keep stock of some sizes. They seem to order stuff in every other Friday. And that arrives with them on Wednesday. So it isn't slow by any means. Just expensive

Okay ;-)

stevieturbo 06-26-2013 04:22 AM

Always worth pricing with other suppliers though.

Lee at LA Racing in the UK
Andy Robinson Race cars
Hauser Racing
Top Speed Automotive
Hoosier UK

Doubtful any keep large stocks though, they all seem to ship every couple of weeks. So either way, you should have no difficulty meeting your deadline.

But at least buying direct from the US you will only pay one set of shipping and taxes, so that may help

David Q 06-27-2013 06:48 PM

I have run the MT DR and the Hoosier DR. Both sets 26" tall on 17" rims. My car makes 670 to the tires in an A4 with 4k converter. It would run 1.60 60' all day. I am now running a 325 45 R17 M&H, all I can say is WOW. 1.42 with same setup only thing different is the tire. I was running out of gear before but now I've gained 3 mph and a much better 60'. Give John a call and he will hook you up.