CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Do you plan on using the C7 front plate holder? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3293019-do-you-plan-on-using-the-c7-front-plate-holder.html)

MikeyTX 06-22-2013 09:43 AM

Not in TX

Originally Posted by 2001conv (Post 1584217159)
No. My state requires a front plate, but my cars have never seen a front plate in 12 years, and it's never been a problem to date.

Anyone who is really worried can stick the plate in their front window. That meets the requirement. It doesn't have to be mounted to the bumper. I stick the plate in the window when I take my car through inspection. No problem.

Sticking it in the front window in TX doesn't count sadly. State law requires hard mount. Randomly enforced so far. After Sept 1st, higher fines kick in set by local JP's under the new bill passed by the ledge. this year. :ack: It's fix'n to become a cash cow I fear. :willy:

Aggie897 06-22-2013 11:34 AM

In Texas the plate can't be in the window. It must be at the front most part of the car. I was told this when I get pulled over and had the plate in the window. Now that dps is keeping track of warnings the likely hood of getting a ticket has increased.

Bill B 1 06-22-2013 11:50 AM

Unfortunately Montana is a two plate state. :ack: but I plan to run without and see how long I can get away with it. I have seen quite a few Vettes around here without them, so maybe I'll get lucky. At least it's easily installable / removable. :thumbs:

Zymurgy 06-22-2013 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trackaholic (Post 1584217861)
I don't think it is included at no charge.

My understanding was that you were forced to take it (not an option), and they were going to charge you the $15. ...

Manufacturers are required to provide the front plate mount at no additional cost to cars to be registered in 2 plate states. You are only charged the $15 if you want the mount and are registering in a state that does not require 2 plates. My dealer confirmed this when I placed my order.

SCM_Crash 06-22-2013 12:46 PM

I'm going to keep it in my trunk with the plate on it. If I feel that I'm in an area that may give me crap for no plate, THEN I'll put it on. I'm safe right now. In So Cal, Corvettes seem to get away with no plate unless they're doing something douchey.

elegant 06-22-2013 01:15 PM

Yes, will use it. Oregon requires a front plate.

millpond 06-22-2013 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by elegant (Post 1584220097)
Yes, will use it. Oregon requires a front plate.

Good idea. I got a ticket for no front plate when I was living in OR. The only reason I was stopped was the lack of a front plate. Actually I had the Corvette Museum front plate mount, but it was deemed too difficult to see. Will use the front plate here in CA. just to keep from getting stopped.

msm859 06-22-2013 06:39 PM

No. Live in CA got stopped twice in my C6 - bought the quick release mount, would be a 5 minute inconvenience for not having to have the plate on the rest of the time. Heck I still haven't put any plates on the new car I bought last November -- seeing how long i can go. ;)

speedlink 06-22-2013 07:00 PM

Not me in Arizona.

BRCC 06-22-2013 07:27 PM

Well in the past those in front plate states that decided to mount on usually opted for the Top Flight plate holder, which was a very good product. It mounted in the center of the grill.

Now Chevrolet has basically done the same thing with the C7, it's removable for track use and when mounted, they claim it enhances air flow because of the way the internals of the grill are designed, but state for best airflow (In track use) take it off.

It appears Texas is going to get a little more enforcement in the future on this issue, so why put up with the harasment.

Bottom line is I will mount one after my temp paper plate expires.:cheers:

JerriVette 06-22-2013 09:30 PM

Yes I would use the very sharp c7 front plate mount

Brunotheboxer 06-22-2013 09:58 PM

Never.

Stingray23 06-22-2013 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by millpond (Post 1584220290)
Good idea. I got a ticket for no front plate when I was living in OR. The only reason I was stopped was the lack of a front plate. Actually I had the Corvette Museum front plate mount, but it was deemed too difficult to see. Will use the front plate here in CA. just to keep from getting stopped.

Thats their problem

Thrill6 06-22-2013 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1584218300)
Get a Post Office box and register your car in a state that doesn't require two plates.

I wish it were this simple. If you get pulled over in Maryland and live here and have an plates from another state you would be issued a $280 "Out of State Registration" citation and have 30 days to register the car in Maryland. It's pretty obvious to the police officer when you whip out your Maryland drivers license and an out of state registration. :willy:

4GS7 06-22-2013 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2001conv (Post 1584217159)
No. My state requires a front plate, but my cars have never seen a front plate in 12 years, and it's never been a problem to date.

Anyone who is really worried can stick the plate in their front window. That meets the requirement. It doesn't have to be mounted to the bumper. I stick the plate in the window when I take my car through inspection. No problem.

I've lived in NJ and NY, both are front plate states, neither allow you to just "stick it in the front window." If anything, that calls MORE attention to your car from the police.

greengo 06-22-2013 11:13 PM

Never got a ticket for speeding in Texas....
but NO Front Plate.....
TWO !

Bill17601 06-23-2013 11:45 AM

I will not live in a front plate state..it is stupid and wasteful in my opinion.

Speednet 06-23-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72 (Post 1584223503)
I've lived in NJ and NY, both are front plate states, neither allow you to just "stick it in the front window." If anything, that calls MORE attention to your car from the police.

As a life-long NJ resident, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Michael A 06-23-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1584226364)
I will not live in a front plate state..it is stupid and wasteful in my opinion.

So they couldn't give you a house in a front plate state. You've got some strong convictions. :D

Michael

~Stingray 06-23-2013 11:45 PM

I dislike the front plate. But it will happen in every state before too long. It brings in too much income from traffic cams and ticketing.