CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Do you plan on using the C7 front plate holder? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3293019-do-you-plan-on-using-the-c7-front-plate-holder.html)

jr3 06-21-2013 07:50 PM

Do you plan on using the C7 front plate holder?

When you get your C7 do you plan on installing the front CORVETTE plate panel on your front bumper?

It may add some downforce on the front bumper. :D

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/s.../1ac7nose4.png

-CM- 06-21-2013 08:02 PM

Yes, but only to comply with state requirements.

It's a big improvement from the C6, though.

Larry/car 06-21-2013 08:13 PM

NO :ack:

OnPoint 06-21-2013 08:21 PM

Nope. But I live in a state that doesn't waste time/money on front plates, thank goodness.

george vee 06-21-2013 08:52 PM

Yes, especially that I paid $15 for it LOL

sdurg24 06-21-2013 08:58 PM

So what choice do I have? I had my front plate off for one week after coming out of winter hibernation. Got pulled over by a State Trooper who gave me a verbal warning when I explained that I had some work done to the front and the body shop told me to leave the plate on my C6 off for a few days. He was understanding but let me know it was probable cause for a pull over at any time. If it's not the law fine but otherwise......:toetap:

Stingray23 06-21-2013 09:53 PM

No f'n way

mpuzach 06-21-2013 09:58 PM

It's a great solution for those who choose to use it but I won't be one of them.

-CM- 06-21-2013 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by george vee (Post 1584216028)
Yes, especially that I paid $15 for it LOL

If you're in a front-plate-required sate, it's included at no charge.

If you are choosing it as an option, uh, well, ...

Michael A 06-21-2013 10:22 PM

Yes. I think they did as good a job as possible. It looks decent, it doesn't stick out and doesn't look tacked on. I like how they made it wraparound, too. Then I can drive around without worry of fines from this money fleecing state and cities.

Michael

dmporter31 06-21-2013 10:58 PM

Unfortunately, I live in a 2 plate state, so yes - will use it out of legal obligation only. :ack:

0-60B4U 06-21-2013 11:01 PM

Nope. KS doesn't require one.

Speednet 06-21-2013 11:28 PM

No. My state requires a front plate, but my cars have never seen a front plate in 12 years, and it's never been a problem to date.

Anyone who is really worried can stick the plate in their front window. That meets the requirement. It doesn't have to be mounted to the bumper. I stick the plate in the window when I take my car through inspection. No problem.

Sin City 06-22-2013 12:49 AM

Not in Nevada. We still know what freedom means. :)

CorvetteBank$ 06-22-2013 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2001conv (Post 1584217159)
No. My state requires a front plate, but my cars have never seen a front plate in 12 years, and it's never been a problem to date.

Anyone who is really worried can stick the plate in their front window. That meets the requirement. It doesn't have to be mounted to the bumper. I stick the plate in the window when I take my car through inspection. No problem.

Is the front registration plate required on vehicles registered in Illinois?
Yes, the front registration plate is required on vehicles registered in Illinois. Both registration plates are required to be attached on vehicles registered in Illinois.

I'm gonna ask a few cops. It's such a pain in the ass. My state is always looking to take some money

JustinStrife 06-22-2013 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1584215855)
Nope. But I live in a state that doesn't waste time/money on front plates, thank goodness.

:iagree::iagree:

Trackaholic 06-22-2013 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by -CM- (Post 1584216620)
If you're in a front-plate-required sate, it's included at no charge.

If you are choosing it as an option, uh, well, ...

I don't think it is included at no charge.

My understanding was that you were forced to take it (not an option), and they were going to charge you the $15.

I have not had a front plate on my 350Z since I bought it (175,000 miles), and have been cited for speeding a couple of times, but have not yet been written up for the lack of front plate. I do not visit San Francisco much though, and they are sticklers due to all of the red light cameras. I have been lucky. I am happy to see that GM has made a design that is easy to install and looks decent, yet easy to remove to improve airflow for track use. I will probably leave it off the car until I am forced to add it (will leave it in the trunk or something maybe).

-T

Larry/car 06-22-2013 08:22 AM

Get a Post Office box and register your car in a state that doesn't require two plates.

-CM- 06-22-2013 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Trackaholic (Post 1584217861)

My understanding was that you were forced to take it (not an option), and they were going to charge you the $15.

It's on my order without charge.

Parker Corvette 06-22-2013 09:06 AM

Looks much better than the plate holder on my C6. Give credit where credit is due. The C6 holder with the stick on design was as cheap as could be.

MikeyTX 06-22-2013 09:43 AM

Not in TX

Sticking it in the front window in TX doesn't count sadly. State law requires hard mount. Randomly enforced so far. After Sept 1st, higher fines kick in set by local JP's under the new bill passed by the ledge. this year. :ack: It's fix'n to become a cash cow I fear. :willy:

Aggie897 06-22-2013 11:34 AM

In Texas the plate can't be in the window. It must be at the front most part of the car. I was told this when I get pulled over and had the plate in the window. Now that dps is keeping track of warnings the likely hood of getting a ticket has increased.

Bill B 1 06-22-2013 11:50 AM

Unfortunately Montana is a two plate state. :ack: but I plan to run without and see how long I can get away with it. I have seen quite a few Vettes around here without them, so maybe I'll get lucky. At least it's easily installable / removable. :thumbs:

Zymurgy 06-22-2013 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trackaholic (Post 1584217861)

My understanding was that you were forced to take it (not an option), and they were going to charge you the $15. ...

Manufacturers are required to provide the front plate mount at no additional cost to cars to be registered in 2 plate states. You are only charged the $15 if you want the mount and are registering in a state that does not require 2 plates. My dealer confirmed this when I placed my order.

SCM_Crash 06-22-2013 12:46 PM

I'm going to keep it in my trunk with the plate on it. If I feel that I'm in an area that may give me crap for no plate, THEN I'll put it on. I'm safe right now. In So Cal, Corvettes seem to get away with no plate unless they're doing something douchey.

elegant 06-22-2013 01:15 PM

Yes, will use it. Oregon requires a front plate.

millpond 06-22-2013 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by elegant (Post 1584220097)
Yes, will use it. Oregon requires a front plate.

Good idea. I got a ticket for no front plate when I was living in OR. The only reason I was stopped was the lack of a front plate. Actually I had the Corvette Museum front plate mount, but it was deemed too difficult to see. Will use the front plate here in CA. just to keep from getting stopped.

msm859 06-22-2013 06:39 PM

No. Live in CA got stopped twice in my C6 - bought the quick release mount, would be a 5 minute inconvenience for not having to have the plate on the rest of the time. Heck I still haven't put any plates on the new car I bought last November -- seeing how long i can go. ;)

speedlink 06-22-2013 07:00 PM

Not me in Arizona.

BRCC 06-22-2013 07:27 PM

Well in the past those in front plate states that decided to mount on usually opted for the Top Flight plate holder, which was a very good product. It mounted in the center of the grill.

Now Chevrolet has basically done the same thing with the C7, it's removable for track use and when mounted, they claim it enhances air flow because of the way the internals of the grill are designed, but state for best airflow (In track use) take it off.

It appears Texas is going to get a little more enforcement in the future on this issue, so why put up with the harasment.

Bottom line is I will mount one after my temp paper plate expires.:cheers:

JerriVette 06-22-2013 09:30 PM

Yes I would use the very sharp c7 front plate mount

Brunotheboxer 06-22-2013 09:58 PM

Never.

Stingray23 06-22-2013 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by millpond (Post 1584220290)
Good idea. I got a ticket for no front plate when I was living in OR. The only reason I was stopped was the lack of a front plate. Actually I had the Corvette Museum front plate mount, but it was deemed too difficult to see. Will use the front plate here in CA. just to keep from getting stopped.

Thats their problem

Thrill6 06-22-2013 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Larry/car (Post 1584218300)
Get a Post Office box and register your car in a state that doesn't require two plates.

I wish it were this simple. If you get pulled over in Maryland and live here and have an plates from another state you would be issued a $280 "Out of State Registration" citation and have 30 days to register the car in Maryland. It's pretty obvious to the police officer when you whip out your Maryland drivers license and an out of state registration. :willy:

4GS7 06-22-2013 11:06 PM

I've lived in NJ and NY, both are front plate states, neither allow you to just "stick it in the front window." If anything, that calls MORE attention to your car from the police.

greengo 06-22-2013 11:13 PM

Never got a ticket for speeding in Texas....
but NO Front Plate.....
TWO !

Bill17601 06-23-2013 11:45 AM

I will not live in a front plate state..it is stupid and wasteful in my opinion.

Speednet 06-23-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72 (Post 1584223503)
I've lived in NJ and NY, both are front plate states, neither allow you to just "stick it in the front window." If anything, that calls MORE attention to your car from the police.

As a life-long NJ resident, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Michael A 06-23-2013 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1584226364)
I will not live in a front plate state..it is stupid and wasteful in my opinion.

So they couldn't give you a house in a front plate state. You've got some strong convictions. :D

Michael

~Stingray 06-23-2013 11:45 PM

I dislike the front plate. But it will happen in every state before too long. It brings in too much income from traffic cams and ticketing.

SCM_Crash 06-23-2013 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1584231316)
I dislike the front plate. But it will happen in every state before too long. It brings in too much income from traffic cams and ticketing.

Here in Los Angeles they don't enforce traffic cams anymore. They still send out the tickets, but won't do anything if you don't admit your guilt by responding to them.

But the front-plate laws are staying because the parking enforcement gets to write revenue bills... I mean tickets... to those who don't want to run a front plate.

My friends who are cops also say that it gives them a reason to pull over cars that look suspicious.

Bill17601 06-24-2013 07:47 AM

Is this because the ticket person or camera can not see the rear plate? Cameras are used on the rear plate because so many states do not have front plates. I will tell you this Pennsylvania will always have one plate. Until cars are id'd by computer chips read from any angle..

TheLex 06-25-2013 01:59 AM

If you see the video in the OP, the front plate holder goes over the ugly chrome strip. I'm hoping a vendor will come out with a replacement grill that has LED strips kind of like in the drawing. IMO that would look pretty cool.

MikeyTX 06-25-2013 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by TheLex (Post 1584240709)
If you see the video in the OP, the front plate holder goes over the ugly chrome strip. I'm hoping a vendor will come out with a replacement grill that has LED strips kind of like in the drawing. IMO that would look pretty cool.

There already is a replacement strip available in black from GM.

BRCC 06-25-2013 09:16 AM

As already stated the rear plate is used for stop light cameras, at least all that I have seen here in Texas, all photos are taken from the rear. Might be different in other states but I doubt it considering the same company operates in different states.:cheers:

jdoelger 06-25-2013 09:27 AM

A must have in Oregon. Been pulled over many times by State Troopers for not having the plate on my C6. Thank you to GM for a better bracket

~Stingray 06-25-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1584232214)
Is this because the ticket person or camera can not see the rear plate? Cameras are used on the rear plate because so many states do not have front plates. I will tell you this Pennsylvania will always have one plate. Until cars are id'd by computer chips read from any angle..

From what I am told by relatives of cops is the front plate allows for another angle on the car to be identified. There are many cases, where the back plate is blurry and the front helped with the identification. I really don't believe this too much, but who am I to argue; I don't look at those images.

In addition, the cars can be identified by cops as you are approaching them instead of waiting until you pass. Its a lot easier to read an approaching plate than one that is running away from you.

Third, as many have stated, many cars are not designed to have a front plate. And it often uglifies the car to many owners. They know people are going to skip putting it on so its another way to make money since the people who are running the state can't seem to organize their income/spending. Which is another reason why it won't go away. The ones that would make the decision, make the money from it.

~Stingray 06-25-2013 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheLex (Post 1584240709)

Do we know what the part of the headlight that is right above the projector light is for? We have the LED turn single lights, the glow strip, the projector light, and what? Sorry for the thread steal.

Rich Mickol 06-25-2013 05:16 PM

Yes:thumbs:

Bill17601 06-25-2013 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1584246387)
From what I am told by relatives of cops is the front plate allows for another angle on the car to be identified. There are many cases, where the back plate is blurry and the front helped with the identification. I really don't believe this too much, but who am I to argue; I don't look at those images.

In addition, the cars can be identified by cops as you are approaching them instead of waiting until you pass. Its a lot easier to read an approaching plate than one that is running away from you.

Third, as many have stated, many cars are not designed to have a front plate. And it often uglifies the car to many owners. They know people are going to skip putting it on so its another way to make money since the people who are running the state can't seem to organize their income/spending. Which is another reason why it won't go away. The ones that would make the decision, make the money from it.

All good points. It is not going to happen in Pa however. What you will have is a chip that emits a signal and identifies your car from any angle. A simple hand held device, or not hand held, will ID any car for the police. It is a shame they will miss their front plate tickets.

~Stingray 06-25-2013 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1584247541)
All good points. It is not going to happen in Pa however. What you will have is a chip that emits a signal and identifies your car from any angle. A simple hand held device, or not hand held, will ID any car for the police. It is a shame they will miss their front plate tickets.

Whoa, if cell phone tracking isn't enough, lets make sure they can't drive anywhere without being tracked.

greengo 07-01-2013 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1584248297)
Whoa, if cell phone tracking isn't enough, lets make sure they can't drive anywhere without being tracked.

Just trust nObama.....he is looking out for all of us since we are incapable of doing it

JerriVette 07-01-2013 11:08 AM

Yes..it looks great and I use a non factory solution on my present c6.

I use my vette as a daily driver and don't want to return to tickets on the windshield when I return.

Cruiter 07-01-2013 11:23 AM

Not required here in GA so ...... NO! Thinking about my prestige tag and what it will be :flag:

Foy Toy 07-01-2013 05:01 PM

front license plate at NCM 60th anniversary

while going through the autograph line after the 6oth anniversary banquet, i asked Dave Tatman, Harland Charles and John Fitzpatrick why there were no front license plate mounts on any of the seven C7 cars on display at the NCM boulevard thursday.
the glib response is that they are ugly!
well as a resident of one of the 31 states that require front plates and perhaps the very customer that the c7 is supposed to be sold to, i was a little insulted.
having already bought 6 new corvettes since 1990 and having lived in wisconsin that whole time , i have always run two plates.
my 2 c6's both have aftermarket brackets and work fine.

well, just as i said, seemed a little condescending.

Ed Foy
fond du lac, wi.
foytoy 2012 torch red grand sport convertible
foytoy 2 2005 mag red coupe

Harry2 07-01-2013 05:58 PM

I live in Minnesota which requires the front plate.
I am using the aftermarket removable plate holder on my current C6, and plan on using the front plate option on my future C7, the no plate hassle is not worth the benefit of the improved look for me.

ospreycorvette 07-01-2013 06:08 PM

I think it is such a waste of aluminum and other resources to require a front plate. Not required in Florida, love living here.
Was required in Wisconsin where I used to live, now I drive all year round and no storage.

SCM_Crash 07-01-2013 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by greengo (Post 1584294993)
Just trust nObama.....he is looking out for all of us since we are incapable of doing it

I sincerely hope you're kidding. Obama doesn't care if you have a front plate or vehicle tracking... :toetap:

MikeyTX 07-01-2013 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Foy Toy (Post 1584298278)
while going through the autograph line after the 6oth anniversary banquet, i asked Dave Tatman, Harland Charles and John Fitzpatrick why there were no front license plate mounts on any of the seven C7 cars on display at the NCM boulevard thursday.
well as a resident of one of the 31 states that require front plates and perhaps the very customer that the c7 is supposed to be sold to, i was a little insulted.
having already bought 6 new corvettes since 1990 and having lived in wisconsin that whole time , i have always run two plates.

Ed Foy
fond du lac, wi.

Just like Tadge telling us our C6's are out dated ............. :willy:

Wild Bob 07-02-2013 03:55 PM

I never run a front plate in CA, until I get a fixit tic, then I put it on just long enough for sign-off, then off it comes...

FloydSummerOf68 07-02-2013 04:31 PM

Ed Foy
fond du lac, wi.

I'm not sure I understand.

You think the corvette looks better WITH a front plate? The reason we all like to run without a front plate is because it uglies up the front of the car.

Foy Toy 07-02-2013 10:53 PM

never said i liked it

i don't like it, but run the two plates to avoid wisconsin state patrol hassle. we have had club members stopped on a club run for no front plate.
ed foy

Nightstalker Medic 07-02-2013 11:03 PM

Two Tags in Alaska :willy:

It is what it is. :ack:

jr3 07-03-2013 06:37 AM

Ed Foy
fond du lac, wi.

Why would you be insulted because he answered your question and gave you his honest opinion?

Would you rather he lied to you and made up some bogus BS excuse ???

:D