CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   12 sec 1/4 1.03G 3.8-60 and VIR in 2.51.7 60-0 107Ft good numbers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3292107-12-sec-1-4-1-03g-3-8-60-and-vir-in-2-51-7-60-0-107ft-good-numbers.html)

Sin City 06-20-2013 11:32 AM

It is a bit of an exaggeration to put in $5000 of options and then call it "base".

But, all auto manufacturers do this. It's just apples to apples and as long as it's called out properly, it's not cheating.

I don't mind. This configuration was what I was going to order anyway. They just proved me right! :)

Daekwan06 06-20-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584203104)
I have to agree with Joe on this one. The times are not for a 'standard' or 'base' Stingray. They are for the new C7 Z51 'model', with a significant increase in price. Maybe they should do it all over again without the Z51 equipment and see what they get.

Don't get me wrong, I think these times are great and great value for the money but just don't call them 'standard' Stingray times.

Adding the Z51 "option" will increase the price of the C7 by 5%.

I dont think many people would consider a 5% increase as "significant".

rexracerx9 06-20-2013 11:35 AM

Great to see some objective performance numbers trickling out. There is always going to be something a little quicker on paper here and there. A 1/10th here or there in a 1/4-mile run is not nearly as important to me as the entire C7 Z51 package and how well balanced it is. I am very happy to hear they improved the subjective traits as well. I always felt the C6 was missing just a touch of steering feedback and driver confidence. I am very happy to hear Jim Mero's statements about improved driver feedback and driver confidence. I suspect most drivers will feel more comfortable and confident on unfamiliar roads in a C7 then in a C6. Then factor in the improved seats and interior. The C7 should be more satisfying to drive everyday and at a track. The C7 is among the performance elite. At it's price point it is not just hitting it out of the park, it is probably a Grand Slam. Can't wait to actually drive one.

"The new Stingray constantly communicates feedback to the driver, which makes you feel incredibly confident behind the wheel," said Jim Mero, Corvette vehicle dynamics engineer. "That confidence encourages you to attack each corner because the Stingray drives so well: the tire grip is incredible; the steering response is some of the best I've ever experienced; the Magnetic Ride dampers allow little body roll through the corner, while still soaking up the rumble strips when you clip the apex," he said. "It's just addictive on the track."

Mike Mercury 06-20-2013 11:37 AM

Virginia International Raceway's (VIR) 4.2-mile "Grand Course" in 2:51.78
other cars at that same track:

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 2:45.63 2008
Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 2:48.60 2008
Ferrari 458 Italia 2:49.90 2009

Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera 2:51.80 2010
Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 2:57.50 2012

though i have no info on whether these cars were 100% factory stock or not.

PRE-Z06 06-20-2013 11:40 AM

Weather conditions and traction surface play a significant factor in a NA vehicles acceleration times. The most impressive number is the road course time imho, though a great driver can make a big difference even in the same car as some mentioned.

JoesC5 06-20-2013 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Torch Z (Post 1584203110)
C'mon, Joe (and Ox), stop nitpicking. If you put optional wheels, or other options, on a BASE model car, it is still the BASE model. Z51 is an option (and pretty reasonable, at that), NOT a different model.

Here go the semantics again. How close will the $56K Z51 C7 have to perform vs. your ~$75K(?) Z06 for you to say "nearly identical" or "comparable?" The same? A tenth here and there? Or, said another way, once all the testing and comparisons are complete, what adjective will you use to describe the Z06's performance advantage, which I am willing to go on the record right now and describe as "small?"

You may call it nitpicking, I call it being factual.

The Stingray coupe is a model 1YY07.
The Z51 coupe is a model 1YX07.

The Z51 C7 is a different model than the base C7

Raitzi 06-20-2013 11:44 AM

Funny that still even GM is not pleased to hardcore track driving with original seats; they still suck compared real buckets. Good time but I respect magazine times more.

Daekwan06 06-20-2013 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rexracerx9 (Post 1584203254)
Great to see some objective performance numbers trickling out. Very impressive indeed at almost any price point. There is always going to be something a little quicker on paper here and there. A 1/10th here or there is not nearly as important to me as the entire C7 Z51 package. I am very happy to hear they improved the subjective traits as well. I am very happy to hear Jim Maro's statements about improved driver feedback and driver confidence. I suspect most drivers will feel more comfortable and confident on unfamiliar roads in a C7 then in a C6. The C7 should be more satisfying to drive everyday and at a track.

"The new Stingray constantly communicates feedback to the driver, which makes you feel incredibly confident behind the wheel," said Jim Mero, Corvette vehicle dynamics engineer. "That confidence encourages you to attack each corner because the Stingray drives so well: the tire grip is incredible; the steering response is some of the best I've ever experienced; the Magnetic Ride dampers allow little body roll through the corner, while still soaking up the rumble strips when you clip the apex," he said. "It's just addictive on the track."

You make a great point.

Last weekend, I attended in a wedding near Winchester, VA. A location that is sparse mountain roads full of hills, sharp/blind corners & plenty of high speed highway sweepers. I had a choice of vehicles to drive to the wedding, but knowing the roller-coaster-like backroads of that part of VA I purposely took the Vette.

While I still am smiling from the experience of pushing the car (and myself) to the limit on some of those good old country backroads.. I must admit I had quite a few pucker moments were my C6 either twitched around over rough pavement.. or where I simply could not feel what the car & tires were doing. Corvettes have a notorious reputation for having unbelievable grip.. and letting the rear go with little warning. I did my best not to become a statistic and made it home with no incidents. I couldnt help but wonder if my girlfriends G37 coupe would have inspired more confidence on those unfamiliar backroads.

Its great to see that GM has continued to address the numb feedback & twitchiness-on-rough-pavement concerns with their flagship sports car. I look very much forward to the day I trade my C6 for a C7.. and get to enjoy the added performance AND the added confidence!

Brunotheboxer 06-20-2013 11:47 AM

What are the c7 haters gonna say now?

"I...I don't like the rear end". Well get used to it cause you're gonna see a LOT of it when you race. Suck on that.

JoesC5 06-20-2013 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1584203104)
I have to agree with Joe on this one. The times are not for a 'standard' or 'base' Stingray. They are for the new C7 Z51 'model', with a significant increase in price. Maybe they should do it all over again without the Z51 equipment and see what they get.

Don't get me wrong, I think these times are great and great value for the money but just don't call them 'standard' Stingray times.

hey Blue,

This will give you an indication of how the marketing of the new C5 was handled vs the new C7,

FOR RELEASE: March 3, 1997
Phone: (800) CHEVY-MI or: (810) 492-8841
Fax: (810) 492-8853

Advertising the All New Chevrolet Corvette

Capitalizing on Corvette “Spies”

WARREN, Mich. - Chevrolet is capitalizing on the intense curiosity surrounding its 1997 fifth-generation Corvette by using a spy theme in its launch advertising, which begins March 7.

The secrecy theme runs throughout TV and print ads, including a unique magazine insert cleverly designed to look like an official Chevrolet dossier of secret 1997 Corvette information.

Spearheading the launch campaign are 30- and 60-second television spots that show industrial spies monitoring the performance of a world-class sports car, only to discover that they have been watching the all-new Corvette that the automotive world has anticipated for months.

“A unique car needs a unique ad campaign,” said Corvette Brand Manager Dick Almond. “These ads pass that test. They are well-targeted at auto enthusiasts who have been eagerly anticipating the all-new Corvette.”

The 60-second spot will begin airing March 7 on network television and in 2,600 movie theaters across the country. Corvette’s high-profile media schedule includes such programs as the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament and Final Four Championship as well as Academy Awards.

“The theater tie-in is appropriate because we wanted to treat the commercial like a movie trailer -- not as just another ad,” said Bill Ludwig, Vice Chairman and Chief Creative Officer of Campbell-Ewald, Chevrolet’s advertising agency. “To get that feel, we needed the experience of an actual feature-film director. We found that talent in Andrew Davis, whose credits include The Fugitive and Under Siege.”

The major print component of the campaign -- the official looking Corvette dossier -- is designed to pique curiosity. Wrapped in a mini manila file folder with “C5 Limited Access” crudely stamped on its cover, the file contains photos of what appear to be internal documents covering the all-new Corvette’s powertrain, performance, structure, materials, suspension and electronics, as well as photos of the car itself.

The dossier-insert has been running in March issues of auto enthusiast and business magazines.

Another print ad -- “Announcing the Death of Speculation” -- was written in conjunction with Corvette Vehicle Line Executive David Hill. The two-page ad completes the story of the new Corvette -- from consumer research to Corvette performance. It will run in the May issue of monthly magazines and in April weeklies.

Other print components of the 1997 Corvette launch include a 44-page dealer showroom brochure and a 120-page collector’s issue of Corvette Quarterly magazine. The magazine will be distributed through major bookstore chains across the country, and sent to Corvette owners and prospective owners.

Corvette advertising will also be featured on the Internet revealing far more than the teaser information that was released just prior to the Corvette’s public debut at the Detroit and Los Angeles auto shows in January.

“That public unveiling was broadcast live worldwide on the Internet,” said Almond. “Our on-line Corvette coverage of the auto show debut generated 17,000 visitors to the Chevrolet website, triple the normal daily volume, and a rate which we were able to sustain for several days thereafter.”

Rapid Fred 06-20-2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1584203297)
You may call it nitpicking, I call it being factual.

The Stingray coupe is a model 1YY07.
The Z51 coupe is a model 1YX07.

The Z51 C7 is a different model than the base C7

Joe, while you are nitpicking (and I mean this in a complimentary sense, the world needs this attention to detail), did any of the optioned-up Z06's (say the Carbon version, or the one named after the Corvette racing driver, etc), ever have different model numbers for ordering purposes?

If so, your analysis goes bad; if not, I'll give you a few points, but then go back to the premise that a $56K Vette, same as the base model in all respects (no widebody, no added tire width, same HP/torque (I think), retains targa top, etc.) except for some factory performance add-ons, is very competitive with the outgoing $75K+ hard-core performance model. A remarkable achievement by the design team, and something to chew on for the critics.

BTW -- plenty of folks add $10K of stuff to a Z06 and it is still a Z06. I do not think $5K of performance parts creates a separate model despite what they do for ordering purposes. Semantics, again.

1985 Corvette 06-20-2013 12:07 PM

At work right now....but when I tell you this thread is going to be SO MUCH fun to read when I get in later tonight after 7pm. Gonna have a beer tonight going through this one.:rofl:

GREAT NUMBERS for the Stingray!!! Never any doubt, only anticipation. GM and Chevrolet deliver, as expected, yet again with a new iteration of Corvette.:cheers:

TTRotary 06-20-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kappa (Post 1584202543)
I didn't say the Z07 option made it heavier. I said the cars themselves ie the '12 Z06/Z07 was heavier than the early Z06s. MT's test weight was 3320 compared to the early cars being in the 3100lb range.

Incorrect. We've been over this before Kappa. The MT number is with driver, which is not how mfrs measure curb weight. Z07 cars are in anything lighter because of the carbon brakes.

And while we're discussion accuracy of numbers, the early Z06 curb weight was 3150.

JustinStrife 06-20-2013 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette (Post 1584203488)
At work right now....but when I tell you this thread is going to be SO MUCH fun to read when I get in later tonight after 7pm. Gonna have a beer tonight going through this one.:rofl:

GREAT NUMBERS for the Stingray!!! Never any doubt, only anticipation. GM and Chevrolet deliver, as expected, yet again with a new iteration of Corvette.:cheers:

:iagree::iagree: with both points. :lurk:

texel 06-20-2013 12:11 PM

The VIR time was for test mule C7 with a bunch of test equipment inside ( at 59 min point ) ...
Cheers

rexracerx9 06-20-2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1584203344)
You make a great point.

Last weekend, I attended in a wedding near Winchester, VA. A location that is sparse mountain roads full of hills, sharp/blind corners & plenty of high speed highway sweepers. I had a choice of vehicles to drive to the wedding, but knowing the roller-coaster-like backroads of that part of VA I purposely took the Vette.

While I still am smiling from the experience of pushing the car (and myself) to the limit on some of those good old country backroads.. I must admit I had quite a few pucker moments were my C6 either twitched around over rough pavement.. or where I simply could not feel what the car & tires were doing. Corvettes have a notorious reputation for having unbelievable grip.. and letting the rear go with little warning. I did my best not to become a statistic and made it home with no incidents. I couldnt help but wonder if my girlfriends G37 coupe would have inspired more confidence on those unfamiliar backroads.

Its great to see that GM has continued to address the numb feedback & twitchiness-on-rough-pavement concerns with their flagship sports car. I look very much forward to the day I trade my C6 for a C7.. and get to enjoy the added performance AND the added confidence!

The C6 is a great car, very capable and tons of fun. I miss mine. It just had a few issues that other brands addressed a little better. The numb feedback and nervousness should be improved greatly. Many of these things made the C6 feel larger then it actually is? Hopefully the C7 has evolved into a even better car that is more nimble. I really think Corvette will pick up buyers of other import sport cars once the C7 is independently tested and reviews are out. Enjoy your great C6 until you are ready for your C7!

Daekwan06 06-20-2013 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer (Post 1584203345)
What are the c7 haters gonna say now?

"I...I don't like the rear end". Well get used to it cause you're gonna see a LOT of it when you race. Suck on that.

They will keep saying the same stuff over and over: They hate the tailights. The C6 is still $15,000 cheaper new. The C6 is more classic & simple. The C6 doesnt have to worry about 1st year bugs & issues.

Only someone trying to justify some other hurried or recent vehicle purchase, believed that the C7 was not going to be a huge upgrade over the C6 in pretty much every measurement. Especially performance. The only thing thats changed with this announcement, is that performance difference is now fact. Unfortunately there will always be some people who tend not to believe facts either.

racerns 06-20-2013 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1584203276)
other cars at that same track:

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 2:45.63 2008
Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 2:48.60 2008
Ferrari 458 Italia 2:49.90 2009

Lamborghini Gallardo LP 570-4 Superleggera 2:51.80 2010
Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 2:57.50 2012

though i have no info on whether these cars were 100% factory stock or not.

As others have said you have to be careful when making a comparison to other VIR Grand track times since most of the published times come from the C&D Lightning Lap comparison tests. GM has been able to get much better lap times at VIR with their factory drivers. For comparison the GM factory time for the ZL1 was 2:52.38 while the LL time was 2:57.5. So it would be fair to compare the C7 Z51's 2:51.7 with the ZR1's 2:45.63 and the ZL1's 2:52.38 since they are all factory driver times.

Racer 06-20-2013 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by DJD (Post 1584203181)
One last thing to consider....those blind spots are HORRENDOUS!!!!! Will GM be putting in blind spot indicators when switching lanes?

They already have them, they are called side mirrors, maybe if you learn how to set your mirrors properly.............

rexracerx9 06-20-2013 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by racerns (Post 1584203566)
As others have said you have to be careful when making a comparison to other VIR Grand track times since most of the published times come from the C&D Lightning Lap comparison tests. GM has been able to get much better lap times at VIR with their factory drivers. For comparison the GM factory time for the ZL1 was 2:52.38 while the LL time was 2:57.5. So it would be fair to compare the C7 Z51's 2:51.7 with the ZR1's 2:45.63 and the ZL1's 2:52.38 since they are all factory driver times.

That's right. Even Jim Mero mentioned this when he was at the bash.