CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   12 sec 1/4 1.03G 3.8-60 and VIR in 2.51.7 60-0 107Ft good numbers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3292107-12-sec-1-4-1-03g-3-8-60-and-vir-in-2-51-7-60-0-107ft-good-numbers.html)

sam90lx 06-20-2013 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Davy_Baby9 (Post 1584207438)
Awe man, parents are letting kids play on the "internet" again. :(

Like all the kids that joined in 2013 after the reveal with no intentions of buying? Still waiting for pics of your Vette.

Snorman 06-20-2013 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584207404)
Yeah but the GS still looks way better than the Pontiac C7.

That's your opinion, Sam.
Here's something that's not your opinion...

Showroom Stock LS3 Grand Sport (2010 - 2013)
12.319 @ 115.75 - Grand SportMan - 10 A6 - (5128)
12.559 @ 115.41 - Fastenuf - 11 A6 - (5269)
12.805 @ 113.33 - PhillyLS1 - 11 M6 NPP - (5085)
GM just announced that the C7 has run 119 mph in the quarter mile. I'm betting we'll see cars running low-120's.

Just think, Sam, some mid-50 year old woman on her way to the country club in an A6 C7 could probably bust your ass from a stoplight. But hey, you have wide tires and your car looks like a Z06 (but is slower than a base C6).
:lolg:
S.

gthal 06-20-2013 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584207530)
Like all the kids that joined in 2013 after the reveal with no intentions of buying? Still waiting for pics of you're Vette.

You like saying that don't you... it must really piss you off that GM's new design is actually attracting a whole pile of new enthusiasts into the Corvette club.

I'd much rather have a bunch of new members in a forum that are here to celebrate a great car that is putting up numbers to match while having productive and fun discussions than hanging around with folks who have nothing better to do with their time than try to pick the car apart for some unknown reason... maybe I'm just weird?

Snorman 06-20-2013 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584207508)
Gtahl....if I'm really worried about the C7 I could buy a ZR1 tomorrow and embarrass a C7. I do want to see the Z version of the C7. Do you really thing I am tied to my GS? I could get rid of it tomorrow and not bat an eye. Just remember....there is always something and someone faster....enjoy that while you can for about a year or so!

If you wanted a faster car, why would you buy a slow Grand Sport? My bet is that you bought what you could. :yup:
S.

Jawnathin 06-20-2013 08:59 PM

Wow, this thread is pretty darn funny. Both the C7 Haters and Fanboys.

The C7 is right where it should be, it sits right between the C6 Base/GS and C6 Z06. This is exactly where GM wanted it to be and this is exactly where it should be. This is the standard manufacturers strategy when it comes to handling varying models.

The new model is better than its older trim equivalent but sits below the older model's upper trims. Porsche has the playbook already written on how to manage multiple tiers within a model line. Just look at how they manage the 911 lineup. GM is using that same playbook.

Any C7 haters who can't get over the fact it is quicker than your C6 Base/GS, get over it. Its been done. The C6 Base/GS is a fantastic car and the performance is great. It just so happens that the C7's performance is greater and is clearly a step forward for the brand.

And any C7 fanboys who keep trying to ride the C6 Z06 coat tails, keep dreaming. It sits firmly behind the Z06 in terms of performance. The performance delta between the C6Z and the C7 is even greater than that of the delta between the C7 and GS. Just like how the C7 is a clear step ahead of the GS, the Z06 is a clear step ahead of the C7. It will be the C7 Z model equivalent that will compete and exceed the C6Z, not the base C7. It was never intended to.

And funny enough, it would be foolish to think or expect otherwise. This is exactly what GM wanted. Kudos to GM for the fine execution. They got it right.

I've probably pissed off both sides of the camp, but I don't care. I'm just telling it like it is.

0-60 -
C6 Base - 4.2
C6 GS - 3.9
C7 - 3.8
C6 Z06 - 3.7

Quarter Mile -
C6 Base/GS - 12.2@117
C7 - 12.0 @ 119
C6 Z06 - 11.7 @ 127

HP -
C6 Base/GS - 430/436hp
C7 - 455/460hp
C6 Z06 - 505hp

Weight -
C6 Base - 3200~
C6 GS - 3350~
C7 Z51 - 3350~
C7 - 3300~
C6 Z06 - 3150~

Davy_Baby9 06-20-2013 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1584207530)
Like all the kids that joined in 2013 after the reveal with no intentions of buying? Still waiting for pics of your Vette.

So the prerequisites to liking or talking about the C7 is to currently have a previous generation? Brilliant!

Corvettinator 06-20-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by rexracerx9 (Post 1584203254)
Great to see some objective performance numbers trickling out.

Objective numbers? From GM? http://www.forumup.it/images/smiles/...o_risatina.gif

I'd remind everyone that GM still boasts on its Website that the Grand Sport can go 0-60 in 3.95, yet I've never seen a magazine break 4.2.

I'll look forward to independent reviews. So far, the tracking time sounds good.

gthal 06-20-2013 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jawnathin (Post 1584207632)
This is exactly what GM wanted. Kudos to GM for the fine execution. They got it right.

I agree. They absolutely got it right from a myriad of perspectives and it fits exactly where it should for the standard car. Even if you adjust the GM/Mero time at VIR for what C&D will likely achieve, it is still in the range of the top 10 to 15 fastest cars ever on that track. That is nothing short of fantastic for a car that was $56K as tested!!

Corvettinator 06-20-2013 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584207572)
GM just announced that the C7 has run 119 mph in the quarter mile.

If GM announces it, it must be true. :lol: And what did GM announce as the "showroom stock" GS's 1/4 mile time?

Big Dan 427 06-20-2013 09:24 PM

So if I have this correct the numbers posted are by Mero who we all know can wheel, he most definitely has more seat time (track wise) than any other person.

Point being (and correct me if I'm wrong) all the times posted earlier in this thread are mag guy driven. That could easily mean the mag guy times in the C7 are off by a fair amount from what GM posted with Mero driving. So the question is are we considering these numbers real or when the mag guys get a car to run?

Snorman 06-20-2013 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Corvettinator (Post 1584207746)
If GM announces it, it must be true. :lol: And what did GM announce as the "showroom stock" GS's 1/4 mile time?

You're right, I'm sure they're lying and misrepresenting the car's performance.
That would work out so well for them.
S.

BlueOx 06-20-2013 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584204171)
It is funny that some are now questioning the results on the basis of whether the car is a "standard" car or not. Bottom line is the C7 Z51 is faster on a road course than the C6 GS, the ZL1 and is comparable to the Z06. Call it the standard car or the Z51 package car... whatever floats your boat. The performance is incredibly high given the price of the car. We are all lucky it is going to be available to us.

The rest of the argument is semantics.

Well, you can do what you want but if we knew the standard C7 Coupe's numbers, we could compare them to this...2013 Corvette Coupe which has a 0-60 time of 4.2 sec. As of right now, we can only compare the 2013 C6 GS Coupe's 3.95 sec to the C7 Z51's 3.8. Call it semantics if you want to but that is GM's way of putting it historically.

gthal 06-20-2013 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584207812)
So if I have this correct the numbers posted are by Mero who we all know can wheel, he most definitely has more seat time (track wise) than any other person.

Point being (and correct me if I'm wrong) all the times posted earlier in this thread are mag guy driven. That could easily mean the mag guy times in the C7 are off by a fair amount from what GM posted with Mero driving. So the question is are we considering these numbers real or when the mag guys get a car to run?

The GM number is real but you need to compare GM test driver numbers with GM test driver numbers because they will get more from the car. I still believe that the C7 will allow the mag guys to be closer to the GM test driver numbers because of the technology (which makes it easier to extract performance) than previous generation cars.

Having said that, Mero ran a 2:54.5 in a GS and 2:50 in a Z06.

Even when you add 3 to 4 seconds to the GM times (which is what you might guess C&D will achieve given they aren't professionals or as familiar with the car), the C7 is still in the top 10 to 15 cars ever tested at VIR and performing at a level higher than MUCH more expensive cars.

Corvettinator 06-20-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584207816)
You're right, I'm sure they're lying and misrepresenting the car's performance.
That would work out so well for them.
S.

Well, you're the guy who just called the Grand Sport "slow." Here is GM's own Website claiming the GS is faster than the base:

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/6342/ppkd.jpg

So who is misrepresenting, GM, or you? If it's GM, then we can't believe their C7 numbers. If it's you, then rhetorical fail on your part and stop posting. :lol:

Snorman 06-20-2013 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Corvettinator (Post 1584207893)
Well, you're the guy who just called the Grand Sport "slow." Here is GM's own Website claiming the GS is faster than the base:

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/6342/ppkd.jpg

So who is misrepresenting, GM, or you? If it's GM, then we can't believe their C7 numbers. If it's you, then rhetorical fail on your part and stop posting. :lol:

I think a best posted time on the Fast List of 12.3 @ 115 mph speaks for itself. You can dwell on 0-60 times all you'd like, but they are meaningless to most people. What did GM claim for the GS quarter mile performance?
And yes, 12.3 is slow considering base C6's have gone well into the 11's.
S.

Corvettinator 06-20-2013 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Snorman (Post 1584207930)
I think a best posted time on the Fast List of 12.3 @ 115 mph speaks for itself. You can dwell on 0-60 times all you'd like, but they are meaningless to most people. What did GM claim for the GS quarter mile performance?
And yes, 12.3 is slow considering base C6's have gone well into the 11's.
S.

Dude, don't take this the wrong way, but you weren't a debating champ at Harvard, were you? :crazy2:

The point being, since you completely missed it, is, GM's own numbers have been suspect in the past. GM claims the GS was faster than the base (for some strange unknown reason, GM no longer lists 1/4 mile times on their Website, hmm.) Your own links suggest that might not be true (although 3 random CF guys might be too small of a sample). Ergo, perhaps GM's marketing department is not the best source for reality-based performance numbers of their own cars, i.e., take the C7 numbers with a grain of salt.

And 0-60 times are not irrelevant to 1/4 mile times. GM did claim the GS was faster than the base model in the 1/4 too, but those numbers are now MIA. If I could just find that brochure I got from the dealership 2 years ago, I will scan it.

Snorman 06-20-2013 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Corvettinator (Post 1584208058)
Dude, don't take this the wrong way, but you weren't a debating champ at Harvard, were you? :crazy2:

The point being, since you completely missed it, is, GM's own numbers have been suspect in the past. GM claims the GS was faster than the base (for some strange unknown reason, GM no longer lists 1/4 mile times on their Website, hmm.) Your own links suggest that might not be true (although 3 random CF guys might be too small of a sample). Ergo, perhaps GM's marketing department is not the best source for reality-based performance numbers of their own cars, i.e., take the C7 numbers with a grain of salt.

And 0-60 times are not irrelevant to 1/4 mile times. GM did claim the GS was faster than the base model in the 1/4 too, but those numbers are now MIA. If I could just find that brochure I got from the dealership 2 years ago, I will scan it.

I didn't miss your point, you missed mine. Because the GS has a larger tire on it, it's possible that GM may have claimed a quicker 0-60 time, which would not necessarily translate to a quicker ET or trap speed once weight, drag and frictional losses are taken into account. As was pointed out by another member earlier in another thread, typically, GM's quarter mile performance data is conservative.

No offense taken, because I'm sure you're Harvard educated and all, which is why you drive a Grand Sport. :lol:
S.

Big Dan 427 06-20-2013 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 1584207881)
The GM number is real but you need to compare GM test driver numbers with GM test driver numbers because they will get more from the car. I still believe that the C7 will allow the mag guys to be closer to the GM test driver numbers because of the technology (which makes it easier to extract performance) than previous generation cars.

Having said that, Mero ran a 2:54.5 in a GS and 2:50 in a Z06.

Even when you add 3 to 4 seconds to the GM times (which is what you might guess C&D will achieve given they aren't professionals or as familiar with the car), the C7 is still in the top 10 to 15 cars ever tested at VIR and performing at a level higher than MUCH more expensive cars.

That's what I was looking for, thanks Heath.:thumbs:

1985 Corvette 06-20-2013 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1584205897)
I do agree Jerri. The C7 appears to be a true performer, THERE I SAID IT!! lol
And yes Kappa I used exclamations points...haha.
And how come only 1985 gave me credit for being the first to report 3.8 in the 0-60 category. I would have though the forum would be throwing me a party. :-)

That thread of yours was quite surprising in favor of the Stingray's sprinting times, and good to see you giving kudos.....however brief it may be before whacking the Stingray on the nose again.:rofl: Now we just need to go ahead and get Sam ordering one of these coming months, and we're making some serious progress towards bipartisanship in this section.:D

Big Dan 427 06-20-2013 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette (Post 1584208372)
That thread of yours was quite surprising in favor of the Stingray's sprinting times, and good to see you giving kudos.....however brief it may be before whacking the Stingray on the nose again.:rofl: Now we just need to go ahead and get Sam ordering one of these coming months, and we're making some serious progress towards bipartisanship in this section.:D

You mean whacking it on those hideous fangs. :lol: Sorry I couldn't resist but am just kidding.

Sam is not a base model kind of guy, he like myself would only go
hi-perf if we did anything at all.

I have some good sources though don't I?:D