CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Tough Choice... What Would You Do? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3291959-tough-choice-what-would-you-do.html)

draGonS 06-19-2013 09:28 PM

Tough Choice... What Would You Do?

So I'm about to buy a 2013 to tide me over for 2-3 years until I order my perfect C7. I have an '02 that I've loved, but with 57K miles, I feel like I'm just waiting for my first really expensive repair. Also, "Because race car."

So here are my choices, both 6 speed manual 2013s:

2LT Coupe
-Night Race Blue
-Chrome wheels
-Dual Mode exhaust
-Titanium/Ebony interior with embroidered headrests
-$47,700+$2,000 shipping=$49,700

1LT GS
-Cyber Gray
-That's it. I think maybe there are the blacked out "Grand Sport" badges or something. Maybe a free "decorative decal" of the dealer's logo. And a manual.
-$47,300, 2 hours from my house

To be clear, I LOOOOVE the GS, but am aware the tires will last about a week. It also seems the GS has better resale for my upgrade in 2016, especially considering the lack of a $2K shipping cost, which is just gone once it's spent.

That being said, NRB is only available in 2013, and it's "tasty," as the young people say. Plus I'd really like a HUD and the NPP option. Don't really care about the nav system. I'm a pilot, so I'm used to not knowing where I am. That's what throttles are there to solve, right?

There you have it. WWYD? :confused2:

FAUEE 06-19-2013 09:34 PM

I'd probably just drive the C5 and wait for the C7 for 2 years. But that's just me.

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 09:37 PM

For me, I would choose the Grand Sport. Hand built motor plus suspension, wheel, tire and brake upgrades from the coupe. HUD can both be added later with little issue. NPP, aftermarket or oem, can also be added later with a little more effort. And $2,000 of your purcase price is not throw away shipping money. Likely better trade/resale down the road. :thumbs:

AORoads 06-19-2013 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1584199432)
I'd probably just drive the C5 and wait for the C7 for 2 years. But that's just me.

no question, good choices and '13 is last, and arguably best of the gen. but still, it's a lotta dough. for that reason, if you're sure you will get a 7 a few years down the road, saving $45K+ can't be a bad idea. jmo.

Aceman 06-19-2013 09:41 PM

Well...

I would go w/ the GS, purely out of liking the look of the widebody better.

The 2LT buys you the nav system, Hud, plus the other cars NPP. You can add HUD & NPP, probably around 2K for OEM, installed. You can add chrome wheels (OEM) installed for around 1K or less - several guys have sold low mileage ones for 500-700.

Obviously the stereo can be replaced w/ something much better than the 50year old stock NAV.

If you like to mod, i would get the GS and mod it the way you want.

My 2 cents...

draGonS 06-19-2013 09:41 PM

FAUEE: Hidden option #3! Nice.

R&L's C6 06-19-2013 09:50 PM

If you really plan on getting a C7 in a few years, I would keep the one you have. With the depreciation your going to take on either one of them, you could pay for that possible big repair on the one you have with money left over. JMO

draGonS 06-19-2013 09:54 PM

Interesting... More "wait for the C7"s than I would have expected. Still, I'm planning on buying the '13, and I'm okay with the depreciation. I just want to 1) minimize it and 2) enjoy the car.

I totally get the idea of waiting it out, but 11 years is long enough. :D

Rich Mickol 06-19-2013 09:56 PM

If it were me I'd take the GS unless you can't live without the HUD and Nav. Save yourself the $2k and drive the hell out of it for the next 3yrs. You can always add the HUD and install a better radio than what the factory offers. Good Luck.

FAUEE 06-19-2013 09:57 PM

Personally, I'd look for a nice deal on a slightly used '12 or '11. If those missing features are important to you (they would be to me), I'd find a lightly used one rather than have to add them after the fact.

R&L's C6 06-19-2013 09:59 PM

Well then, tough call. I have a 2lt coupe and dont know if I would want to trade it for a 1lt GS. I do like the looks of a GS, but when your'e in the drivers seat, the creature comforts of the 2lt are a plus...

Greg00Coupe 06-19-2013 09:59 PM

I got a 13 GS in November at first looking at the base coupe. I was at the same point as you and told the salesman hey I am going to trade in 2 years for a C7 out of the 100 cars you have what is the best for resale?

He picked a NRB GS saying it could be a one year color, which is now is for a C6 but carries over to the C7 and the GS is way more popular.

My impression is folks are paying 10Kish to covert a regular car to a wide body, at the time Kerbeck had 100s of GS in stock and 5 regular cars.

If you got to have one get a GS.

But I'm with a lot of the folks....keep what ya have and you'd be money ahead.

C6ROLLER 06-19-2013 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by keithbroecker (Post 1584199378)
Plus I'd really like a HUD and the NPP option. Don't really care about the nav system. I'm a pilot, so I'm used to not knowing where I am. That's what throttles are there to solve, right?

There you have it. WWYD? :confused2:

I'm a air traffic controller who always wanted to be a fighter pilot so the HUD was absolutely necessary (so I kinda feel like I'm in an F-16) and thus I understand you needing it being a pilot :rock: But I would keep your current ride or go with the GS...knowing that you will be buying a C-7 I would go wide body...think the resale would be better.

Iconic 06-19-2013 10:00 PM

That 2LT NRB vette would be perfect were it a GS. dang, so close.

I'd still opt for the cyber gray 1LT GS.

I have the nav in mine and never use it. I could not be without the widebody...jmo

Good luck, and its a win/win either way.

billyboy47 06-19-2013 10:00 PM

the 2lt coupe. they can't give the 1lt gs away. and why would you buy a car just to put money into it when you'll be getting rid of it a couple years down the road. besides, i agree what the one member said, keep what you have now.:cheers:

Pinky... 06-19-2013 10:02 PM

I don't know, HUD was a major selling point for me. I wouldn't buy without it. The exhaust you can change any time. The Bose sound system was also worth it IMO.

R&L's C6 06-19-2013 10:03 PM

After careful consideration.......toss a coin. :D

Heads it's the coupe, tails it's the GS. :thumbs:

Rustysocket 06-19-2013 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1584199432)

:iagree:

Personally it was a C5 that attracted me into vette ownership.

Iconic 06-19-2013 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584199695)

If it's heads, do a 2 out of 3 flip......:D:D

VET4LES 06-19-2013 10:08 PM

I'd wait for the C7. Your C5 is a great automobile why not save a bundle and wait. :thumbs:

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584199695)

Wait . . . are you sure Heads is the Coupe . . . . and is this the best of 5 tries ? :D

push 06-19-2013 10:11 PM

Either wait it out, or pick up a gently used '11-12 gs.

R&L's C6 06-19-2013 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584199763)
Wait . . . are you sure Heads is the Coupe . . . . and is this the best of 5 tries ? :D

After even more careful consideration......this coupe owner says........GS. :leaving:

ParisTNDude 06-19-2013 10:18 PM

If I were a "PILOT" and had an 02 Vette, I would start working on selling it for retail now and get the C7 when the 02 sold. You would lose as much in resell value on the 13 as it would cost extra for the C7 soon...besides, I had on 02 and it was an awesome car...with 57k miles it will last a long, long time...

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584199796)
After even more careful consideration......this coupe owner says........GS. :leaving:

OK - I did 5 coin flips and I ended up with a tie . . . .
2 Heads, 2 Tails and the cat ran away with my dime on the fifth try :(

draGonS 06-19-2013 10:34 PM

ParisTN- Are you saying it'll take a long time to sell the C5? Any idea what that market's like? Or did you just mean at retail I'll have to be patient?

Oh, and I hope I didn't look like an ass with the pilot thing (to be fair, I avoided capitalizing the whole word). Just making fun of myself a little with the nav reference.

R&L's C6 06-19-2013 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584199831)
OK - I did 5 coin flips and I ended up with a tie . . . .
2 Heads, 2 Tails and the cat ran away with my dime on the fifth try :(

Well that fifth flip is still going to drop, you just need to follow that cat around for awhile. If he swallowed it, maybe a bit longer :D

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584200054)
Well that fifth flip is still going to drop, you just need to follow that cat around for awhile. If he swallowed it, maybe a bit longer :D

There goes my Thursday . . . . . 'scoop' to follow :D

draGonS 06-19-2013 10:52 PM

R&L, I've found that no matter how much "cat" I chase, swallowing always makes the difference. :rofl:

R&L's C6 06-19-2013 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by keithbroecker (Post 1584200117)
R&L, I've found that no matter how much "cat" I chase, swallowing always makes the difference. :rofl:

:willy::willy::rofl:

wera32 06-19-2013 10:54 PM

Don't wait. Buy a '13. You plan to buy a C7 in a few years but who knows what may transpire in those years? You may wind up driving this car longer than you'd planned. I'd go with the coupe. The 2LT is worth more than big wheels and "sportier" ride.

draGonS 06-19-2013 10:57 PM

Thanks, wera... I should mention that the MSRP on the GS is about $800 MORE than the base. That makes me feel like I'm getting more for less, you know?

MAN this is tough! I know, I know... "First World problems."

not08crmanymore 06-19-2013 11:02 PM

1LT GS.You can add HUD and NPP is not worth 1200 bucks in my opinion with much better sounding exhaust systems out there,but that too can be added...

draGonS 06-19-2013 11:05 PM

A few folks have mentioned adding the HUD. How? What's the cost? I thought if it wasn't installed at the factory it couldn't be done. Obviously I'm wrong...

draGonS 06-19-2013 11:05 PM

Also: Second star next to my avatar! :woohoo:

06vert 06-19-2013 11:06 PM

If you like to drive them hard, I'd certainly take the GS and enjoy it! I have a Z51 and love every second of it. I do like the 3lt package with it though, and may lean towards the coupe if you we're going to be driving it a ton.

not08crmanymore 06-19-2013 11:09 PM

A few folks have mentioned adding the HUD. How? What's the cost? I thought if it wasn't installed at the factory it couldn't be done. Obviously I'm wrong..
Total price installed somewhere around 600 bucks,parts and labor!!It works just like it came off the line...no issues at all. Steve Doten and Andrew something do installs on the forum..

draGonS 06-19-2013 11:14 PM

06vert, I'll put maybe 4-5K miles on it a year, so I'll be driving it a few times a week. I also drive my '90 GMC Jimmy a lot, especially when it rains and for much of the winter here.

Basically, I don't like my 'Vette wette. :D

draGonS 06-19-2013 11:15 PM

not08, Wow! Is it the exact same HUD as the factory version?

brettbolt 06-19-2013 11:15 PM

Keith,

I'm in Roseville too. Performance Chevrolet on Madison Ave has 23 new Corvettes in stock, including 2 that are Night Race Blue.

When I bought mine there 3 weeks ago they had 30!

Here is a link to their new Corvettes: http://www.performancechevy.com/new-...odel=Corvette&

Brett

not08crmanymore 06-19-2013 11:19 PM

not08, Wow! Is it the exact same HUD as the factory version?
Yes it is.OEM parts.Install is down to a science now. Been going on for a few years,from 11 hours down to 6,5 now maybe an hour or 2 tops.Had it done in my 1lt 08 I had a few years ago.

HOWSER 06-19-2013 11:19 PM

Go GS and don't look back.

6893Vette 06-19-2013 11:19 PM

Very tough choice but a good problem to have....

If I could buy the GS and add a few mods I would. If I could not add anything, I would get the 2lt. Boy, that was hard, probably hate myself in the morning.

Yes, they have kits for the HUD.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...rts-house.html

not08crmanymore 06-19-2013 11:25 PM

Andrew of this thread is the hud install guy as well as Steve Doten in Connecticut. Andrew has colored HUD too.

GrandSportRob 06-19-2013 11:26 PM

Go for the 1LT GS. I just got one almost 3 months ago after I sold my C5. the widebody is way better looking than the base C6. With the 2LT all u get is HUD & GM's crappy Bose system. A waste of $2k. The handling & brakes on the GS are awesome.

06vert 06-19-2013 11:49 PM

For putting on only that many miles, I'd go with the GS and see if you even feel the desire to get the upgrades.

draGonS 06-19-2013 11:51 PM

Cool info on the HUD! I'm leaning GS-ward at this point. Thinking I might paint the calipers blue, add a HUD and call it good. Any good caliper paint kits out there?

BettermostCorvette 06-20-2013 12:36 AM

$2K to ship? I was getting quotes from Miami to Chicago a couple months ago for $900 all day long how far is this car going?

dvilin 06-20-2013 07:39 AM

I would work up my list of wants for the C7 and place my preorder with my dealer of choice. Why wait? I know give them a chance to work out all the bugs and all the other non valid reasons.

Don-Vette 06-20-2013 07:42 AM

I would buy what I want and could care less what others think.

sjohnson2615 06-20-2013 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1584201444)
I would work up my list of wants for the C7 and place my preorder with my dealer of choice. Why wait? I know give them a chance to work out all the bugs and all the other non valid reasons.

Just buy and drive the first C7 until your "perfect" C7 is built in a few years.
Will definately minimize depreciation like you want over an old model which you will loose your ass on.
By driving the first year C7 it will also help you in knowing what you will ultimately want in your perfect C7.
Don't waste your time and money on an old one if the new one you really want is right around the corner.

not08crmanymore 06-20-2013 08:08 AM

Cool info on the HUD! I'm leaning GS-ward at this point. Thinking I might paint the calipers blue, add a HUD and call it good. Any good caliper paint kits out there?
There is/was a guy on here who powdercoated and painted calipers on an exchange basis.Excellent work.Not sure if he's still around though.Haven't seen any threads in a while.There are kits out there but any body shop should be able to do calipers.

Iconic 06-20-2013 08:42 AM

Keith

Not sure if you've perused the inventory one of the finest forum sponsors here at corvette forum, but MacMulkin Chev in Nashua Nh has plenty of C6 Grand Sports in stock and they are selling them cheaper than anyone out there (to my knowlege)

Tommy Jr is the man you want to call. I am speaking from personal experience as I have bought from him, as have countless other satisfied Vette owners here at CF. You will not, I repeat not be disapointed in dealing with him. He personaly himself alone probably sells more Corvettes than most other Chevy salesmen sell cars.

You owe it to yourself to click the link below, and search the invetory. Yes I know you're on left coast land thousands of miles away but.

http://www.macmulkin.net

You get to live once. Buy what you want now (C6)

Buy what you want later (C7)

Bill Dearborn 06-20-2013 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1584199559)
If you really plan on getting a C7 in a few years, I would keep the one you have. With the depreciation your going to take on either one of them, you could pay for that possible big repair on the one you have with money left over. JMO

If the plan really is to move to a C7 in two years the value of your C5 isn't going to change much over that time period but the value of the 13 will drop like a rock in comparison to the C5 change. If we were having this discussion 12 months ago I would probably say go with the 13 since we really didn't know much about the C7. Now you know you want one. Work toward that goal not an intermediate goal that could keep you from achieving the ultimate goal.

Bill

draGonS 06-20-2013 08:58 AM

Bettermost: Yeah, that's what I thought at first, but it's an E Coast to W Coast trip, and enclosed shipping. I looked into open trailers, but that's just too risky for me.

Regarding buying a C7 now: I just can't bring myself to pay MSRP. As an example, the 2013 base coupe MSRP is $49,600, and dealer invoice is $45,136. That's a $4,464 dealer markup, BEFORE their 3% holdback (based on MSRP without destination charge)--$1,488 in this case. Thus the dealer makes $5,950 on MSRP in this case, and that's on a stripped car with no options. Supposedly there are other kickbacks for dealers too, but they're not easily accessible. Point is, C7s are going for MSRP right now, and most of the initial depreciation will be accounted for in dealer profit. BTW, I totally get that--I'd sell at MSRP if I were a dealer and I could. That's how supply/demand works. I fact, I think it's cool that several forum dealers won't mark up from MSRP at the moment. I simply choose not to participate.

On the other hand, currently GM is offering $5,000 worth of rebates ($2K for everyone and $3K for current Corvette owners) on the 2013s, PLUS dealers need to clear them out, so they're willing to make less on each car or even sell at a slight loss to move them. The GS I'm looking at is $56,915 MSRP, and $51,657 invoice. After holdback, it costs the dealer $49,949. With the $5K in rebates, the price I'm looking at is a little under $44K, which means this dealer is losing money to sell the car (rebates are from the FACTORY, not the dealer, so they're really selling a little under $49K). However, they're only losing about a thousand bucks, and they have to move cars to make way for the C7 cash cow. It's part of the cost of getting those new C7s on the showroom floor.

In short, I dig the C7 idea, but I'm not willing to pay the premium for the first year or two. One day I might, but for now I'm really feeling the C6 and the clearance fever. :D I know the C6 will take a hit, but I don't think it'll be THAT bad. My '02 held its value pretty well after the C6 came out, and I think the current incentives offered plus dealer motivation to sell equals a unique opportunity.

Sorry. WAAAAAY too much math for this early hour. :cheers:

JohnAE455 06-20-2013 09:19 AM

I understand your reluctance to pay MSRP on the C7 but that is really a bargin compared to what dealers were doing to the price of C5's and C6's when they first came out. Besides, in two years the 2013 will drop in value much, much more then the amount you feel you would overpay for the C7 if bought now. My 1.5 year old 4LT GS vert. is down over $20,000 from MSRP and after the C7's come out it will take another hit. With the warrenty GM has I wouldn't hesitate to buy a C7 in the first year. I really like my C6 but find I wish I had waited for the C7. My 2002 C5 was a great car and would have kept being a great car until this fall. Good luck with your choice.

draGonS 06-20-2013 09:25 AM

Thanks, John. Wow, that really is something to think about... $20K? Ouch. I hope it doesn't take too much more of a hit with the introduction of the C7.

I figure I'll lose some money over two or three years, of course, and I'm okay with that. I just really think that getting the car for $10K below MSRP, AFTER tax is a great deal. I think it'll help, but not entirely mitigate, the hit to resale the C7 will cause. :cheers:

not08crmanymore 06-20-2013 09:28 AM

10k below msrp?? I hope that's off the 1LT.If it's the 2,IT'S NOT ENOUGH.

draGonS 06-20-2013 09:38 AM

I like the way you think, not08! It's actually a little more than 14 below MSRP. However, I count taxes as part of my cost.

AORoads 06-20-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by JohnAE455 (Post 1584202056)
I understand your reluctance to pay MSRP on the C7 but that is really a bargin compared to what dealers were doing to the price of C5's and C6's when they first came out. Besides, in two years the 2013 will drop in value much, much more then the amount you feel you would overpay for the C7 if bought now. My 1.5 year old 4LT GS vert. is down over $20,000 from MSRP and after the C7's come out it will take another hit. With the warrenty GM has I wouldn't hesitate to buy a C7 in the first year. I really like my C6 but find I wish I had waited for the C7. My 2002 C5 was a great car and would have kept being a great car until this fall. Good luck with your choice.

Frankly, while I think your math is OK as far as it goes, OP, I do agree w. the above. And you are only doing one side of the equation: what you think your C6 costs now, and will be worth if it were still the C6 generation.

MSRP, while a bogeyman that few like to pay, is just numbers, too. And that's why I agree w. John's numbers above. It's one thing to take a $10K+ hit on a used C6 sometime down the road. It's yet another cost to factor in how much is the value reduction of generational changes. Just ask the C5 owners who, one to two years into the C6 generation, saw their numbers go way down, then stabilize.

Better yet, ask a salesperson who has been selling Corvettes for awhile (more than one gen), and knows the history of prices AND doesn't have an axe to grind (as in, desperate to get you to sign up today for a new car).

Unless, of course, paying five to ten K or more, doesn't mean much to you. In which case, for you, it's all about paying MSRP, and money isn't a factor because if you pay more later (by losing more on your C6), it's ok as long as you don't pay MSRP for a new car.

There are people like that and I'm not knocking you if that's your approach.

DonOH 06-20-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1584199629)
Personally, I'd look for a nice deal on a slightly used '12 or '11. If those missing features are important to you (they would be to me), I'd find a lightly used one rather than have to add them after the fact.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Big chunk of depreciation is gone so you'll lose less when you get the C7.

Don't want to keep the C5 to race?

Scuba Ghost 06-20-2013 11:53 AM

2LT coupe.:thumbs:

JC7 06-20-2013 01:01 PM

Take the 1LT from Tim at Broadwalk, damn good deal! "you know it"!!!:smash::cool:

MakoShark72 06-20-2013 01:12 PM

GS all the way! I bought my '12, with 19k, 4LT, M6, NPP, F55, for $49k, sticker was $71k. Set of Michelin Pilot SS's cost me $1300 installed.

I've been flying for 30 yrs and I like the HUD!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps8fe2681f.jpg

:thumbs:

FAUEE 06-20-2013 05:04 PM

Keep in mind that a 1LT GS is also a base car. You're going to severely limit your appeal to potential buyers own the road with that, because you've got the "better" Grand Sport but no options. You can modify it to add HUD, stereo, whatever you want, but that is a sunk cost that is essentially the same as lighting the money on fire, you will not recoup much if any of that cost when you get rid of it.

There's definitely something to be said for buying the C7 now if that's what you know you want. I bought my C6 knowing it would probably lose 10-20% of its value in the next few years, I don't have any desires to own a C7 though, so it's a moot point.

Consider this - nothing on the GS can't be added either. You can get the Z51 suspension in a C6. Upgrading to a widebody can be done for a few thousand dollars (big range depending on what parts and wheels and such you want). You could upgrade to a big brake kit if that mattered to you that would be more effective than the GS brakes even.

If you're going to throw a few grand away, why not do it on the car you really, really want? And keep in mind, a base C7 will outperform a GS C6 easily.

Corvette Junkie 06-20-2013 05:16 PM

Did you say Night race Blue with chrome wheels?

VanSant 06-20-2013 05:25 PM

2010 GS 3Lt, I paid 44k - 8700 w/ a few mods

draGonS 06-20-2013 06:57 PM

VanSant- Is that before or after taxes? Sounds like an awesome car!

su8pack1 06-20-2013 07:13 PM

At this point I'd wait for the C7.

Walt White Coupe 06-20-2013 07:32 PM

When it comes to car buying most people ignore the "smart" thing to do and go with an emotional decision. Since you like what you are driving, the smart thing is to keep the C5 until you are ready to move to the C7. 57,000 miles is no reason to sell.
:cheers:

Dadman1950 06-20-2013 08:55 PM

I just bought a new Grand Sport vert. Sold my base C6. IMO there is no comparison between the base and the Grand Sport. I don't think there is much else to consider and the cyber gray is beautiful.

TRZ 06-20-2013 10:04 PM

Not to outdo anyone:ack: but having flown 37 years now without a HUD
(Thank you Boeing, at least my type anyway) I now have it in my car.
Rarely look at it or care to for that matter. I say go with the basic set-up and add what, if anything, you want after driving it some. I do not like gee whiz stuff in my car, especially since I deal with it often on the job.
But that's just me:crazy2:
BTW, I did see a Night blue coupe on a miami dealership web site. Must say, it was stunning:yesnod: FWIF.

not08crmanymore 06-20-2013 10:21 PM

Once you are in your new c6 you will realize what a thing of beauty it truly is!! That C7 may be on hold after that..

JRS_MY_C5 06-20-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rustysocket (Post 1584199710)

Personally it was a C5 that attracted me into vette ownership.

Same with me!!!

C7/Z06 Man 06-21-2013 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by TRZ (Post 1584208156)
Not to outdo anyone:ack: but having flown 37 years now without a HUD
(Thank you Boeing, at least my type anyway) I now have it in my car.
Rarely look at it or care to for that matter. I say go with the basic set-up and add what, if anything, you want after driving it some.
I do not like gee whiz stuff in my car, especially since I deal with it often on the job.
But that's just me:crazy2:
BTW, I did see a Night blue coupe on a miami dealership web site. Must say, it was stunning:yesnod: FWIF.

I have a 2010 GS 1LT that I ordered new and was going to install the HUD kit that the vendors sell on this site because I thought I would like a little whiz-bang stuff but after driving the car for a while I decided that I did not want it and now many miles later I am glad that I never did install it. PS: I do have the skills & I'm a "Top Gun" Corvette Pilot; Check the C6 GS 1/4 mile Tech/Performance section.:D The HUD hole on the dash top is just a dust collector I my book.

Kingspoke 06-21-2013 02:33 AM

I know you already decided you've had the current Vette too long, but it is very unlikely to take a dump on you with only 57K, and since you only put 5k a year on your car, it's probably not your daily driver anyhow.

Hold off on the new purchase or don't limit yourself to just two cars as there are plenty of choices out there in your price range. When you go to sell, someone is going to have to want the lesser optioned car vs many better equipped vettes, so get the car you really want even if it means slightly used, but better resale value.

VanSant 06-21-2013 04:09 AM

Keithbroeker - before taxes, they were asking 48,500

C7Joy 06-21-2013 06:51 AM

If you love the GS, that is the way to go IMO. :D

IDSRVIT 06-21-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584199460)
For me, I would choose the Grand Sport. Hand built motor plus suspension, wheel, tire and brake upgrades from the coupe. HUD can both be added later with little issue. NPP, aftermarket or oem, can also be added later with a little more effort. And $2,000 of your purcase price is not throw away shipping money. Likely better trade/resale down the road. :thumbs:

Not to be knit picky but every motor in any vette is "hand built". The difference with the Z06, GS or ZR1 is one person builds it from start to finish verses the standard vette's engine which goes down an assembly line of trained people.

billyboy47 06-21-2013 12:18 PM

hand built doesn't alway's guaratee a problem free engine.:thumbs:

VanSant 06-21-2013 02:41 PM

hand built or not, hope mine wasnt built on a Friday

zrracer 06-21-2013 02:54 PM

2LT
Go pick it up and do a 2k trip.

Robin
:cheers:

draGonS 06-23-2013 11:03 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice and insight. We pulled the trigger yesterday and bought...

The GS coupe that was here in CA. It was a 130 mi drive, but MAN the trip home was great!

Ultimately the GS performance and $2K shipping savings were more important to me than the nifty bells and whistles on the base coupe back East. Now to find a paint color that resembles the ZR-1 blue for the calipers. Then the HUD, then maybe some black wheels.

It's gonna be a fun year! :rock:

Iconic 06-23-2013 11:11 AM

Good pick on the GS! Congrats

Kingspoke 06-23-2013 11:59 AM

Congrats!:cheers:

Pinky... 06-23-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by keithbroecker (Post 1584226132)
Thanks to everyone for the advice and insight. We pulled the trigger yesterday and bought...

The GS coupe that was here in CA. It was a 130 mi drive, but MAN the trip home was great!

Ultimately the GS performance and $2K shipping savings were more important to me than the nifty bells and whistles on the base coupe back East. Now to find a paint color that resembles the ZR-1 blue for the calipers. Then the HUD, then maybe some black wheels.

It's gonna be a fun year! :rock:

The paint color for the ZR1 calipers is called 'Wave Blue'. GM dealers should sell it but I bet it won't be cheap. I'm sure we also have some forum vendors on here that could hook you up.

draGonS 06-25-2013 06:48 PM

Pinky, you're right. Also, I hadn't noticed that the "Corvette" on the calipers is a stencil kinda thing, and it won't look right if I try to do that myself. Soooooo, Mike the powdercoater has another customer!