CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3291558-non-runflats-you-get-a-flat-what-do-you-do.html)

Scotten 06-19-2013 09:36 AM

Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?

I bought my Z06 used and the previous owner put on non-runflat tires before selling it. While driving this morning, I realized that I'm not sure what I would do if I had a flat (and I hate NOT having a contingency plan).

What do you all do? Call for a tow truck (and if so, where do you have the car towed to)? Can of sealant and a portable air compressor?

(and I'm not a big fan of my vette being towed... I've seen it done and even with some boards, they like to scrape the front lip)

peter pan 06-19-2013 10:01 AM

I carry a portable pump, plug kit and goop in a can:rock:

hdkeno 06-19-2013 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by peter pan (Post 1584193869)
I carry a portable pump, plug kit and goop in a can:rock:

:iagree: that and/or AAA card and cell phone..:yesnod:

1bdvet 06-19-2013 10:09 AM

Make sure you have AAA Plus or Premiere card, they have additional mileage. Lets not forget cell phone!

davidtcpa 06-19-2013 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1bdvet (Post 1584193931)
Make sure you have AAA Plus or Premiere card, they have additional mileage. Lets not forget cell phone!

:iagree:

spdkilz911 06-19-2013 10:33 AM

I have one of the slime kits that has a compressor, plugs, slime etc. I got a good deal on the tires. I may go back to a better run flat next time.

Scotten 06-19-2013 10:42 AM

My tire shop despises the slimy goo & they charge extra to work on wheels that have been gummed up.

Steve_R 06-19-2013 10:42 AM

Perhaps a better question is when is the last time anyone had a flat tire? I know for me it's been many, many years. It's just not very common nowadays. I'd offer that it happens so rarely that worrying about it is wasted time and effort.

Scotten 06-19-2013 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1584194196)
Perhaps a better question is when is the last time anyone had a flat tire? I know for me it's been many, many years. It's just not very common nowadays. I'd offer that it happens so rarely that worrying about it is wasted time and effort.

Good point.

I've had (for lack of a better word) "unlucky" sets of tires before. On my old Acura, I think I blew 3 of the 4 tires in ~ a year. 2 of them went at the same time when I ran over some crap on the road.

EVRose 06-19-2013 10:47 AM

:iagree: I've had punctures in mine and my wifes' tire in the last year but never a flat out on the road. Usually the slow leak nail/screw stuck in the tire that can usually be plugged. Flats on the highway are rare unless the tire is worn down to the cords.

Allan 06-19-2013 10:56 AM

1911colt 06-19-2013 11:03 AM

I'd only had my 09 for a short time when my son was coming home from overseas deployment and I was picking him up at airport in R.I.
It was a 11:00 PM flight so the traffic was no problem..But I knew when that DIC lit up with the tire Icon I had a problem..It proceeded to tell me I was losing air REAL fast! I thought OH Great I'm on 95 going to Providence at 11:00 on a Sun night to pick up my son and I'm getting a flat with a car with no spare..GREAT..Well the Goodyear got me to the airport,picked up my son and drove back 80 miles to Mass. You won't ever catch me without runflats after that night.I'm a believer. Next day I took it to a Goodyear place and they fixed it for $20.00. I was lucky! They saved my butt that night for sure.I hadn't had a flat in 40 yrs. before that night but you just never know............

Jimmy52 06-19-2013 11:12 AM

My AAA plan covers 100 miles of towing, roadside repairs(flats), Gas(prepaid of course) and Dead battery jumps. Can't beat it if you ask me! When I need tires again, I am done with runflats. just my $.02:D

Bill Dearborn 06-19-2013 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1911colt (Post 1584194362)
I'd only had my 09 for a short time when my son was coming home from overseas deployment and I was picking him up at airport in R.I.
It was a 11:00 PM flight so the traffic was no problem..But I knew when that DIC lit up with the tire Icon I had a problem..It proceeded to tell me I was losing air REAL fast! I thought OH Great I'm on 95 going to Providence at 11:00 on a Sun night to pick up my son and I'm getting a flat with a car with no spare..GREAT..Well the Goodyear got me to the airport,picked up my son and drove back 80 miles to Mass. You won't ever catch me without runflats after that night.I'm a believer. Next day I took it to a Goodyear place and they fixed it for $20.00. I was lucky! They saved my butt that night for sure.I hadn't had a flat in 40 yrs. before that night but you just never know............

Amazing that GY would have repaired the tire after driving that far without any air pressure. The limit stated in the Owner's Manual is 50 miles at 55 mph with no air pressure after that they are considered non repairable.

I do find it amusing that all of the people who say they carry a plug kit forget that plugging a rear tire on a Vette means laying on the ground to get access. If the tire is flat the car will be several inches lower on that side and there won't be much room to get access.

I really don't want to be laying on the ground in the dark along a busy highway trying to install a plug in a tire. That is a sure recipe for becoming a grease spot.

Bill

1911colt 06-19-2013 11:27 AM

Yeah I was surprised it was fixable too Bill. But the inside of the tire looked fine and there was a pretty good gash in the tread. They fixed it and I drove it another 10000 miles before I traded it in for my 13..You'll not see me in the middle of Feb. lying on the side of Rte 95 looking for tire damage at 11:00 at night!! Give me the run flats ANY Day!!

Ferocious C6 06-19-2013 11:54 AM

1. Roadside assistance
2. Fix-a-flat
3. Plug kit
4. Small pump.

choprfgr 06-19-2013 12:10 PM

There was a time when I rode Triumph motorcycles
and I carried the right tools to tear down the top end.
I think anyone that thinks they are gonna plug a flat on
the side of the road / at night/ possibly in the rain?
Is dreaming.

That is all.

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 12:11 PM

Non-runflats / You get a flat / What do you do?

1. Immediately curse the fact that you don't have ZP tires
2. Assign the blame to someone, anyone - damn roofing contractor
3. Call someone who can't really help but to whom you will vent
4. Bless the day you subscribed to AAA or
5. Be flabbergasted how much Dewey's Towing & Bait wants to flat bed your car
6. Get car flat bed towed - make Dewey's night
7. Get tire fixed/replaced - look at the bait while waiting
8. Swear you are going to get ZP tires tomorrow
9. Complain how much ZP tires cost tomorrow
10. Post on CF if it's OK to just get 2 ZP tires till your good non-ZP's wear out

And have a nice day :thumbs:

Don-Vette 06-19-2013 12:25 PM

What do you do? Really? Lol

It ain't rocket science, get a bottle of Slime and a compressor that plugs into your cigarette lighter.

JoesC5 06-19-2013 12:57 PM

The last flat I had out on the road, in my DD, was in 1996.

But, I drive my Z06 on long distance cruises to see the wonders of our scenic states. I keep run flats on my Z06 as the last place I want to have a flat is when I just crossed the Continental Divide on Independence Pass at 12,093 feet. No way can I breath at that altitude messing with a flat tire. Probably can't get cell phone reception either so what good is that AAA card(or my State Farm card). Then trying to find a place to pull off the narrow road with no shoulders at the place I have the flat is highly unlikely. Then trying to get a roll back truck????? LOL.

I came upon a wreck in the mountains of Colorado once, and there was no cell phone reception to call for help. One car that had stopped to give assistance had to drive on to try and find a place with a land line phone to call for a wrecker and an ambulance and the Jaws of Life as an old lady was trapped in the rear of the wrecked SUV and no way to get her out.

I've driven in all parts of this country and found many areas that don't have cell service. A flat tire(with no spare or with non run flat tires) is more than an inconvenience if you can't call for help.

Run Flats(and the spare tires in my 56, 64 and my Mercedes DD) are like the insurance on your home. Not many of us have had our home destroyed by fire(I've owned homes since 1967 and never had a house fire) but I still pay the insurance premiums. Just calling the fire department on my cell doesn't negate any losses I will have if my house is on fire. That paid up insurance policy will cover it.

DubsAndSubs 06-19-2013 01:02 PM

Dont use slime unless you want to buy a new TPMS sensor. Get a plug kit and compressor, or go back to runflats.

iclick 06-19-2013 01:12 PM

I have a portable compressor, plug kit, flashlight, mover's blanket to lie on, and have towing coverage with my insurance company just in case the tire isn't repairable. The stock GY RFs are still on the car and since the car is quite new they'll be running on this car for some time. When I need new tires I'll opt for RFs again, probably FS or Michelin. I feel secure enough with this contingency plan.

woodranch 06-19-2013 01:43 PM

By the way how do the run flats exactly work? If you get a flat, does the tire pressure light come on that you have low pressure but you can keep on driving for a 100 miles or so until you can repair it?

TerryL 06-19-2013 02:03 PM

Carry a Genuine Innovations tire repair kit and have RVRoadhelp towing service. Their promise is that they will tow ANYTHING you're driving or riding to wherever you have to go to get repaired. Have used them twice and both times they sent a flatbed. Waaay better than AAA+.

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvresources/rvroadhelp/

white90conv 06-19-2013 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by woodranch (Post 1584195692)
By the way how do the run flats exactly work? If you get a flat, does the tire pressure light come on that you have low pressure but you can keep on driving for a 100 miles or so until you can repair it?

1. The low pressure light will come on but you can continue to drive.

2. The bottle of slime says that it will not ruin the sensors

3. If you have a cut in a non runflat tire, you cannot make use of a compressor, the car will have to be towed. My most recent experience (a month ago) with a flat involved a 2" x 2" cut from hitting debris.

4. I use runflats and don't buy the arguments that they have significant disadvantages. I had a set of non runflats on my 2000 and they seemed about the same in ride and handling as the runflats they replaced and were about the same as the subsequent runflats I had installed.

I think that runflats are good insurance and worth the modestly higher price for premium tires.

bdanyluk 06-19-2013 02:14 PM

I just change it with my spare tire that I have in the trunk.

Lookup my previous post about 2 years ago....I built my own spare tire mount in the back of my C6.

Good times! No worries at all.

Adam_W 06-19-2013 02:42 PM

Haven't had a flat yet, but here's what I heard from a friend who's owned several corvettes:

1. If where you live or where you drive has areas without cell phone reception or in the middle of nowhere, then run-flats are good "insurance policy" to have.

2. BUT if you spend your entire existence in the city and suburbia where there's always cell phone reception (like me), then just get AAA membership for the towing benefit, and using non-run flats for slightly better performance is fine because: EVEN IF YOU HAD run-flat tire and got a flat tire, chances are you would STILL stop your car and call AAA to send a flat-bed, rather than driving around town on the flat "non-flat". As for your concern of tow truck screwing up your car, don't worry, just don't let a regular tow-truck touch your car (and they should already know better). Tell the AAA people that your car is low to the ground and REQUIRES a flat bed, they will send it, no extra charge.

I have factory goodyears run flats, but when they are ready to be switched, I'll probably get some non-run-flats that will give me better ride. This is my daily driver and even a little more ride comfort or less noise is a good investment.

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Adam_W (Post 1584196152)

EVEN IF YOU HAD run-flat tire and got a flat tire, chances are you would STILL stop your car and call AAA to send a flat-bed, rather than driving around town on the flat "non-flat".

"EVEN IF YOU HAD run-flat tire and got a flat tire, chances are you would STILL stop your car and call AAA to send a flat-bed, rather than driving around town on the flat "non-flat". :nono:

^ Say WHAT ???? Why wouldn't one do as intended and drive it to a tire shop, the dealer or home ??!! If you ran out of gas would you call AAA to send a flat bed rather than a can of gas ?? :yesnod:

TerryL 06-19-2013 03:26 PM

Sheesh, does everyone only drive within 100 miles of home or a tire shop? AAA+ is only good for 100 miles w/o more $$$. RVRoadhelp doesn't cost extra for 'extra' miles.

Adam_W 06-19-2013 03:37 PM

Well, perhaps I have some misconceptions you can clear up, and I don't claim to know much about this:

* Doesn't driving on a flat run-flat - say for 25 miles to your preferred shop - run the risk of making a repairable tire unrepairable?

* Although run-flats can be repairable, won't many places refuse to repair a run-flat when doing things "by the book" (because that's the official rule with some run-flats) when they would repair the same damage on a regular tire?

* Is there not increased risk of wheel damage when driving on a flat run-flat - if you hit some bumps?

Here is my take: the above are all possibilities, however small, and the cost of tires and wheels are not cheap for our cars. If I have already paid for AAA membership and it costs me *nothing* to have it towed to my preferred shop on a flat bed, why take a chance on the above happening? AAA towing service is quick in many areas like mine, and you'd have trouble finding a place for your car to break down in Orange County that is not within a stone's throw of an espresso bar or at least Starbucks ;)

So anyway, I figure that if I'm going to call AAA for a flat tire regardless, there's no point in runflats for me so I'll just get a non-run-flat tire that offers better ride / sound.

Adam_W 06-19-2013 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by TerryL (Post 1584196554)
Sheesh, does everyone only drive within 100 miles of home or a tire shop? AAA+ is only good for 100 miles w/o more $$$. RVRoadhelp doesn't cost extra for 'extra' miles.

I know some people drive far from home every day. Me: I work less than 4 miles from my home, and I often go a week or two without leaving an 8 or 10 mile radius.

HOXXOH 06-19-2013 03:42 PM

Carry cash, credit cards, cell phone, and a side arm. No problem too great that you can't fix.

109K visiting 47 states in my '08 and had 2 flats with runflats and 1 blowout with non-RF. Used the first three items, as the fourth wasn't necessary.

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 03:46 PM

AAA is good for 100 miles no matter where you are. 100 miles from your breakdown point to a shop repairing or replacing the tire should be doable in most any case. :thumbs:

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Adam_W (Post 1584196624)

* Doesn't driving on a flat run-flat - say for 25 miles to your preferred shop - run the risk of making a repairable tire unrepairable? That's what run flat tires were designed to do - allow you to drive on them to the shop

* Although run-flats can be repairable, won't many places refuse to repair a run-flat when doing things "by the book" (because that's the official rule with some run-flats) when they would repair the same damage on a regular tire? Some run flats loose warranty if repaired - some if repaired a second time - but if a non run flat tire can be repaired with the same damage, so too can a run flat

* Is there not increased risk of wheel damage when driving on a flat run-flat - if you hit some bumps? You drive sensibly on the airless run flat - drive for the conditions at hand just like you would far any other road condition and your rims will be fine.

Here is my take: the above are all possibilities, however small, and the cost of tires and wheels are not cheap for our cars. If I have already paid for AAA membership and it costs me *nothing* to have it towed to my preferred shop on a flat bed, why take a chance on the above happening? AAA towing service is quick in many areas like mine, and you'd have trouble finding a place for your car to break down in Orange County that is not within a stone's throw of an espresso bar or at least Starbucks ;)

Ever see them drag a Corvette with a flat tire onto a roll back - and it gets worse if the roll back can't get close to the car and consequently the car has to be driven or dragged even further.

Sitting stranded in your car on a dark rainy night, barely off the shoulder of the highway, with cars whizzing by at 70mph, for whatever short or long period of time AAA takes to get there, is less than appealing to me. I'd rather continue driving to safety and repairs, when there is a tire which permits the same. But to each their own . . . :thumbs:

TerryL 06-19-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584196696)
AAA is good for 100 miles no matter where you are. 100 miles from your breakdown point to a shop repairing or replacing the tire should be doable in most any case. :thumbs:

Doesn't sound like you get out of PA very often.:D What if a driver was in the middle of Montana or Wyoming? Why pay more than you have to?

Adam_W 06-19-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584196762)
Ever see them drag a Corvette with a flat tire onto a roll back - and it gets worse if the roll back can't get close to the car and consequently the car has to be driven or dragged even further.

Sitting stranded in your car on a dark rainy night, barely off the shoulder of the highway, with cars whizzing by at 70mph, for whatever short or long period of time AAA takes to get there, is less than appealing to me. I'd rather continue driving to safety and repairs, when there is a tire which permits the same. But to each their own . . . :thumbs:

I appreciate the info: so you're saying that the process of loading a Corvette with a flat tire onto a flat bed truck could damage your car in some way?

If that's the case - and it exceeds the likelihood of damaging your wheels or worsening any runflat tire damage beyond the point of repair - then yeah, I would also prefer run-flats.

I'm just trying to minimize the chance of further cost/damage to my tires or car, because in my situation, I'm okay with calling AAA and waiting at the roadside for a tow truck to come, that's not a deal breaker for me, whereas having to buy a new wheel or tire - that could have been avoided by towing - would be significant for me.

village idiot 06-19-2013 04:30 PM

Same **** I do when I get a flat with runflats:
Go to tire shop and get a new tire. Only difference is, I call a tow truck to do it (AAA). Doesn't really matter. My day is shot whether it's a town truck taking me there or my runflats taking me there.

village idiot 06-19-2013 04:34 PM

I didn't think there were many places left in this country where you couldn't get a tire with a 100 mile radius. That's driving 200 miles without a place to get a tire (ie: gas station).

Johnathon59 06-19-2013 05:09 PM

Depends on where you drive, a few years ago we bought a house in a brand new development many houses under construction for the next 18 months either myself or my wife would have a flat once a month !! drywall screws, nails, metal sheathing, large staples, Thank God for discount tire, finally when construction was over so where the flat tires. :woohoo:

BigJoe 06-19-2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by village idiot (Post 1584197081)
I didn't think there were many places left in this country where you couldn't get a tire with a 100 mile radius. That's driving 200 miles without a place to get a tire (ie: gas station).

Not very many gas stations will have Corvette tires in stock. So you get towed in and they have to order some tires from the warehouse. What will you be doing for 2-3 days in the middle of nowhere while waiting for your tires? Even if you lucky enough to find a tire dealer with your brand chances are, if you drive a GS or Z06/ZL1, they will have to order the tires as well.

I bought my 2012 GS last April and since then have had three flats. The first two were slow leakers so I could pump them up as many times as needed to get to the tire store. The last I had to drive about 20 miles with zero air. A lot better than sitting in rush hour traffic waiting for a flat bed...

LMB-Z 06-19-2013 05:44 PM

I don't drive much, but when I do, I carry a compressor. Stay aired up, my friends. :)

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by TerryL (Post 1584196846)
Doesn't sound like you get out of PA very often.:D What if a driver was in the middle of Montana or Wyoming? Why pay more than you have to?

Can't - Federal Govt Witness Protection Program. And I'm sharing that info with you confidentially of course, so please respect the same

village idiot 06-19-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by BigJoe (Post 1584197339)
Not very many gas stations will have Corvette tires in stock. So you get towed in and they have to order some tires from the warehouse. What will you be doing for 2-3 days in the middle of nowhere while waiting for your tires? Even if you lucky enough to find a tire dealer with your brand chances are, if you drive a GS or Z06/ZL1, they will have to order the tires as well.

I bought my 2012 GS last April and since then have had three flats. The first two were slow leakers so I could pump them up as many times as needed to get to the tire store. The last I had to drive about 20 miles with zero air. A lot better than sitting in rush hour traffic waiting for a flat bed...

Same thing I'd be doing if I had runflats, presumably. Leaving the car at the service station and bumming a ride home.

The only difference between runflats and regular tires is how you get to the service station- tow or on a flat-runflat.

phileaglesfan 06-19-2013 08:22 PM

Flats rarely happen, usually they are slow leakers where you can maintain it with a good air compressor (recommended even if you have run flats). If it is a fast leaker than it is usually repairable with a can of slime. Can of slime is ok with the TPMS. Camaros have a can of slime. Not being good on a sensor is an old false statement. Besides a TPMS sensor is not that much. In the end you will still be hundreds of dollars ahead.

If you have a blowout or damage then you are screwed but you are screwed with a run flat anyway. Some run flats are not even repairable if you drive with less than 15psi. It is a big hazard driving at 50mph on the interstate also. Just try it without a flat.

One problem with run flats is that they are a pain to replace/remove/install. You don't want any shop to work on them and out west you would be lucky if you are within 50 miles of any tire repair shop. Regardless you'll be waiting for a new tire to come in.

But runflat owners have their reasons so whatever fits best for you. I never heard of someone on this forum that went from non RFs to RFs though.

michaelinmech 06-19-2013 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1584198821)
Flats rarely happen, usually they are slow leakers where you can maintain it with a good air compressor (recommended even if you have run flats). If it is a fast leaker than it is usually repairable with a can of slime. Can of slime is ok with the TPMS. Camaros have a can of slime. Not being good on a sensor is an old false statement. Besides a TPMS sensor is not that much. In the end you will still be hundreds of dollars ahead.

If you have a blowout or damage then you are screwed but you are screwed with a run flat anyway. Some run flats are not even repairable if you drive with less than 15psi. It is a big hazard driving at 50mph on the interstate also. Just try it without a flat.

One problem with run flats is that they are a pain to replace/remove/install. You don't want any shop to work on them and out west you would be lucky if you are within 50 miles of any tire repair shop. Regardless you'll be waiting for a new tire to come in.

But runflat owners have their reasons so whatever fits best for you. I never heard of someone on this forum that went from non RFs to RFs though.

Respecting everything else you said, I think the primary and overwhelming reason you do not see the non-run flat to run flat conversion, is price. Charge the same for both and I think you would see a lot more ZP tire purchases. :thumbs:

Gearhead Jim 06-19-2013 09:31 PM

Here's the story of my flat tire just two months ago.
If you are wondering how it would have turned out with non-runflats, skip to post #15 in the thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...flat-tire.html

Note that people have driven over 700 miles on a flat runflat (see the link about that in my thread), so I think you can probably get home from almost anywhere in the U.S. if you are willing to willing to drive slowly along the way and replace the tire when you get home.

Scotten 06-19-2013 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Adam_W (Post 1584196890)
I appreciate the info: so you're saying that the process of loading a Corvette with a flat tire onto a flat bed truck could damage your car in some way?

Absolutely! I've seen tow monkeys try to get my Z (totally stock, now lowered) onto a flatbed and it wasn't pretty.

TerryL 06-20-2013 12:11 AM

At the first hint of possible damage I'd stop the tow operator and insist on him using ramps or whatever it takes to get on the lift deck w/o any harm coming to my car. Telling them before they arrive might solve that dilemma. There is no way I'd stand by and watch or listen to any scraping as the car was being pulled onto the deck.

SpryGeezer 06-20-2013 12:26 AM

....Lets not forget cell phone!

We took a short ride on I-25, ABQ - Colorado Springs last week. Cell phone coverage for most of the trip was at best sparse.

phileaglesfan 06-20-2013 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584198956)
[/B]

Respecting everything else you said, I think the primary and overwhelming reason you do not see the non-run flat to run flat conversion, is price. Charge the same for both and I think you would see a lot more ZP tire purchases. :thumbs:

If the PS2 ZP and the Super Sport were the same price I would still go with the Super Sports which are better in every category even according to Michelin.

Run flat technology has been around for decades yet they are only available on a couple cars. Instead manufacturers are going to non spare technology. If runflats were so great they would be a key safety feature like ABS and air bags are today.

Adam_W 06-20-2013 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scotten (Post 1584199953)
Absolutely! I've seen tow monkeys try to get my Z (totally stock, now lowered) onto a flatbed and it wasn't pretty.

My friend's experience with flatbed trucks sent by AAA has been without any problems, which is why I always thought that if I got a flat tire, why risk any complications of driving on a run-flat (possible damage to tire,wheel etc) when you can have AAA bring it to the place of your choosing within 100 miles. Sounds like many of you would much rather drive your runflat to the shop rather than risk damage from having a flatbed take it there.

richietables 06-20-2013 01:23 AM

My job doesn't really permit me being late for work... I'm going to be running zp's for the duration. In addition, I threw a $20 Slime kit with the compressor in one of the compartments in the trunk floor. Made me feel like I was spending money wisely... I have AAA (gold or premium, whatever they call it) and they have always sent a flatbed out for my '65 Malibu...

bladex10 06-20-2013 03:02 AM

I've only ever gotten 1 flat tire and it was when my tire literally exploded of the rim. If i get a nail in my tire, Itll slowly leak over the course of 2-3 days, By the time i notice it getting low, I just take it off, plug it and carry on. Its not a big deal.

CaryBob 06-20-2013 04:29 AM

I had three flats in the first 12 months I owned my Vette. Replaced three rear tires under the tire warranty.

JerriVette 06-20-2013 07:05 AM

My c5 z06 came from the factory without run flats. I never used the very expensive to replace factory kit. I just epwent to k mart and bought a 20 dollar cigarette lighter plug in air compressor and a two dollar plug kit.

Never did it before and over the time I owned that car with over 60k miles...it took me two minutes to fix a flat.

I prefer the lighter driving feel of the c6 without run flats so that's what I use in my Hankook evo equipped c6 z51...

The performance improvement along with ride improvement make these $700 dollar for a set of four non run flat tires are my choice.

After the cars ready to go in minutes I just drive to a tire store for a high speed inside patch...not a problem for me...it's actually quite easy.

FortMorganAl 06-20-2013 07:17 AM

I was about to say the same thing until I remembered I had 2 flats in the past month. (Same tire - first was a nail and second was they didn't tighten the Schrader valve after removing it to deflate the tire to fix the nail issue. Now I know another Goodyear shop to avoid in the future.) Prior to that it has been about 10 years. Hurricanes tend to fill the road with demolition trucks dropping nails.

Bottom line, run flats aren't that bad especially if you have qualms about DIY plugging a high performance tire on the side of the highway.

Turbo6TA 06-20-2013 08:09 AM

I still have not sold the original tires and wheels that were on my 2011 GS.

So, if I get a flat now on my Nittos, I can just use my wife's SUV to bring a wheel and tire along with my jack from home and change the tire/wheel wherever the flat occurred.

That works for around town here .... If I get a flat outside of town, I guess I'm sorta screwed!

Nice having an extra set of these (with only 1,500 miles on them) in my garage: :)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...6ta/Tires1.jpg

Bill Dearborn 06-20-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by village idiot (Post 1584198444)
Same thing I'd be doing if I had runflats, presumably. Leaving the car at the service station and bumming a ride home.

The only difference between runflats and regular tires is how you get to the service station- tow or on a flat-runflat.

If you had run flats why would you leave the car at the shop? Drive it home instead and wait for the tire to come in.

I do get a kick out of the use of the term "Service Station". I haven't seen one of those in years. You have Tire Dealers (that usually do light repairs) and dedicated car repair shops (that might install tires) but very few Service Stations.

Bill

Bill Dearborn 06-20-2013 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1584201337)
My c5 z06 came from the factory without run flats. I never used the very expensive to replace factory kit. I just epwent to k mart and bought a 20 dollar cigarette lighter plug in air compressor and a two dollar plug kit.

Never did it before and over the time I owned that car with over 60k miles...it took me two minutes to fix a flat.

I prefer the lighter driving feel of the c6 without run flats so that's what I use in my Hankook evo equipped c6 z51...

The performance improvement along with ride improvement make these $700 dollar for a set of four non run flat tires are my choice.

After the cars ready to go in minutes I just drive to a tire store for a high speed inside patch...not a problem for me...it's actually quite easy.

You can have a repair kit but they may not always solve the problem.

I never used the kit in my 03Z. Then the guy I sold the car to drove it to visit a relative in a small town about a 2 hour drive away. He was crossing a railroad track when he felt something weird and thought the tire was going down. He drove 600 ft to a parking lot and stopped to find the right rear tire completely flat. He used the tire inflation kit to inflate the tire but it still didn't feel right when driving the car so he left the car in the parking lot and found a local shop that could order a Firestone Wide Oval non runflat in the proper size. Two days later they had the tire and he slowly drove the Vette over to the shop. When they removed the old tire they found the sidewalls had been ruined by that short 600 ft drive and it was lucky he got the car to the shop.

Bill

Lateforwork 06-20-2013 10:42 AM

I had a flat in my c5, non runflats. It turned out to be a cracked wheel, not much you can do in that situation.

LFZ 06-20-2013 10:47 AM

Runflat tires today ride just as nice and perform just as good, if not better than the non-runflats available for the C6, especially in the widebody sizes.

I have had runflats, switched to non-runflats, then back to runflats...I will not go back to a non-runflat unless there is something out there better for the sizes I need. The added security and not having to chug around an extra load of stuff is worth it's premium.

phileaglesfan 06-20-2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by LFZ (Post 1584202838)
Runflat tires today ride just as nice and perform just as good, if not better than the non-runflats available for the C6, especially in the widebody sizes.

I have had runflats, switched to non-runflats, then back to runflats...I will not go back to a non-runflat unless there is something out there better for the sizes I need. The added security and not having to chug around an extra load of stuff is worth it's premium.

What non run flat brand did you use? Also the "extra stuff" you mentioned is a small air compressor, can of slime and a patch kit. It takes up maybe 1/3rd of the cubbie.

I'm sure you have run flats on all your cars now and it the future also since you said they are so much safer.

BettermostCorvette 06-20-2013 01:05 PM

As a former SSr owner we had the same issue right from the Factory. I just got a can of Fix-a-flat and carried it under the passenger seat and you hope for the best..:thumbs:

Bedouin 06-20-2013 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Scotten (Post 1584193657)
I bought my Z06 used and the previous owner put on non-runflat tires before selling it. While driving this morning, I realized that I'm not sure what I would do if I had a flat (and I hate NOT having a contingency plan).

What do you all do? Call for a tow truck (and if so, where do you have the car towed to)? Can of sealant and a portable air compressor?

(and I'm not a big fan of my vette being towed... I've seen it done and even with some boards, they like to scrape the front lip)

Scotten, I've not yet seen a definitive answer to your question, so this kit is what I carry in all my cars & motorcycles. I also prefer non-runflats for multiple reasons, & can't imagine depending on, or wanting, a tow truck ride for any reason.

While a flat won't always be so simple as just pulling out the nail/screw, plugging the tire, re-inflating it, & being back on the road in ten minutes...this should fix a flat 90% of the time. Keep a multi-tool, or needle nose pliers handy, for pulling out the nail, screw, etc & a simple tire pressure gauge.

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive, @ 12" long & fits in my rear storage bin (I don't prefer battery dependent compressors).

http://www.aerostich.com/media/catal.../7/4743_2a.jpg

Dynaplug Pro...best plug insertion tool I've owned.

http://www.aerostich.com/media/catal.../8/4841_2b.jpg

A simple plug repair kit (vs the Dynaplug) will also get the job done;

http://www.pricepoint.com/_productim...3_gentr5_0.jpg

Two other inflation options are the Co2 kit, &/or a micro air-compressor;

http://www.aerostich.com/media/catal.../7/4760_1a.jpg

Mini Compressor...also from www.aerostitch.com

http://www.aerostich.com/media/catal.../5/3500_1a.jpg

village idiot 06-20-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1584201870)
If you had run flats why would you leave the car at the shop? Drive it home instead and wait for the tire to come in.

I do get a kick out of the use of the term "Service Station". I haven't seen one of those in years. You have Tire Dealers (that usually do light repairs) and dedicated car repair shops (that might install tires) but very few Service Stations.

Bill

How would you get it from home to the "service station" in 2 days? I'd rather just drive there, leave it there with them for the day and get a ride home.

LFZ 06-20-2013 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1584203809)
What non run flat brand did you use? Also the "extra stuff" you mentioned is a small air compressor, can of slime and a patch kit. It takes up maybe 1/3rd of the cubbie.

I'm sure you have run flats on all your cars now and it the future also since you said they are so much safer.

My other cars have spares so no need for runflats.

phileaglesfan 06-20-2013 08:15 PM

Most people say they use run flats for safety reasons (blow outs). With a $600 price difference and 1/2 or so the life I can lug the 5 extra pounds of gear around. Heck I save 12 lbs of unsprung weight anyway.

michaelinmech 06-20-2013 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1584207320)
Most people say they use run flats for safety reasons (blow outs). With a $600 price difference and 1/2 or so the life I can lug the 5 extra pounds of gear around. Heck I save 12 lbs of unsprung weight anyway.

Blow outs are rare. Flats in the middle of no where, dark and rainy, good clothing on, wind blowing, late hour . . . I don't want to be rolling around on the ground trying to find the source of the puncture and further trying to repair the same. If that's someone's idea of a fun adventure, all the best wishes to them. Me, I would rather continue my drive home, at carefully reduced speed, in the warm dry comfort of my car. I'll take it to the tire shop or dealer the next morning - the other guy can go buy some new pants to replace to ones he tore when he scraped his knee on the ground - and then go to a tire shop tp get the tire fixed or replaced anyway.. :thumbs:

phileaglesfan 06-20-2013 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584207394)
Blow outs are rare. Flats in the middle of no where, dark and rainy, good clothing on, wind blowing, late hour . . . I don't want to be rolling around on the ground trying to find the source of the puncture and further trying to repair the same. If that's someone's idea of a fun adventure, all the best wishes to them. Me, I would rather continue my drive home, at carefully reduced speed, in the warm dry comfort of my car. I'll take it to the tire shop or dealer the next morning - the other guy can go buy some new pants to replace to ones he tore when he scraped his knee on the ground - and then go to a tire shop tp get the tire fixed or replaced anyway.. :thumbs:

That is why they developed slime which will fix your tire for more miles a run flat can legally go. Meanwhile the run flat owner is a moving chicane.

Like you said blow outs are rare.

murf257 06-20-2013 09:57 PM

With my C5 I switched to non-run flats and asked the same question! I purchased a used jack that would fit under the car should I have had a flat. I also carried the can of tire slime just in case. But luckily for me I never had a low air or flat issue.

68/70Vette 06-20-2013 10:18 PM

I didn't want to read all the posts. There are specialty "hooks" made to connect into the front of the Corvette frame. They mate into the front two holes used in the assembly process at the factory. These hooks allow the tow truck to flat bed your Corvette with out damage. The last time I had my Corvette flat bedded, the tow truck had the correct hooks and I didn't have to use mine. Once again, the hooks attach to the front frame.

Adam_W 06-21-2013 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette (Post 1584208266)
I didn't want to read all the posts. There are specialty "hooks" made to connect into the front of the Corvette frame. They mate into the front two holes used in the assembly process at the factory. These hooks allow the tow truck to flat bed your Corvette with out damage. The last time I had my Corvette flat bedded, the tow truck had the correct hooks and I didn't have to use mine. Once again, the hooks attach to the front frame.

Where can I get these? Can you provide a link?

white90conv 06-21-2013 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1584207320)

I don't think this post is accurate. For the Michelin PS2, the runflats are 1810 for a set and the non runflats are 1466 for a difference of 344. For the Michelin all season tires, the difference is only 132. These prices are from the Tire Rack. The claimed life is the same for both runflats and non runflats. There are cheaper tires that are non-runflats but are they as good tires?

C7Joy 06-21-2013 06:56 AM

I think even with run flats you need a battle plan. You can't drive unlimited mileage on them. I carry a pump, repair materials and a AAA card even with the ZP tires. If I had a flat fairly close to a shop or home I would just drive carefully though.

Larry/car 06-21-2013 09:48 AM

You can drive on the wheel. Ruins the wheel, tire could come apart and destroy the fender.

village idiot 06-21-2013 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1584207394)
Blow outs are rare. Flats in the middle of no where, dark and rainy, good clothing on, wind blowing, late hour . . . I don't want to be rolling around on the ground trying to find the source of the puncture and further trying to repair the same. If that's someone's idea of a fun adventure, all the best wishes to them. Me, I would rather continue my dtrive home, at carefully reduced speed, in the warm dry comfort of my car. I'll take it to the tire shop or dealer the next morning - the other guy can go buy some new pants to replace to ones he tore when he scraped his knee on the ground - and then go to a tire shop tp get the tire fixed or replaced anyway.. :thumbs:

Again, AAA and/or tow truck

JerriVette 06-21-2013 12:04 PM

Nothing prepares anyone for every situation and with the new c7 I would certainly keep the run flats but as far as crisis and resolution on my c5 or c6 without run flats....I believe it makes the most sense.

I hear horror stories of people getting robbed or run over crossing the street etc...

Same in my opinion with running non run flats.

If my wife can run her CTS as it came from gm with no runflats with no spare tire and no big problem ...I think I manage in my corvette without drama..

Great for each of us to. Make our own choices. I drive the average 10 to 12 k per year and have been doing so in non run flat corvettes for just about 15 years..

Not a fan of slime as it does clog the pressure sensors but I like the two dollar plug kit and the $20 little cigarette air compressor.

Takes less Time to fix a flat than it does to type this post..

Then just take the car in when I get a chance for an inside patch to maintain speed rating.

fastmax 06-21-2013 12:40 PM

Tows

Just wanted to point out that AAA does provided up to 200 Mile tow, and 3 100 mile tows on their Premier plan and does flatbed if you request it.

Towing friend of mine stated that you could use the 100 miles(tow) up to 3 times, but would have to call another tow company to do the next 100 mile segment, that means if you ever would be stuck further away then say 200 miles, you could exercise that option to get you closer to where you need to go, albeit some calling around for tow company's.

But eventually you could cover 500 miles, just passing on this info, for those who might need it.

Compressor, plug kit, PLIERS to pull out the bugger what caused it if visible,flashlight, and a can of slime for that no visible leak, and the hell with that $45 sensor if it is F :D.

Max

phileaglesfan 06-21-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by white90conv (Post 1584209452)
I don't think this post is accurate. For the Michelin PS2, the runflats are 1810 for a set and the non runflats are 1466 for a difference of 344. For the Michelin all season tires, the difference is only 132. These prices are from the Tire Rack. The claimed life is the same for both runflats and non runflats. There are cheaper tires that are non-runflats but are they as good tires?

Actually according to current prices for a GS/Z06 size tires on tirerack you are looking at saving $700 by buying Super Sports (around $1300) vs PS2 ZP (about $2k). Super Sports have a higher rating from Michelin. I currently have 8k miles or so on my Super Sports with around 8/32ds of tread left (2/32nds or so gone). The difference was $500 when I bought mine last year. About $1400 is a great deal for GS tires.

ryoder 06-21-2013 10:10 PM

I would bring a plug kit and a tire pump and augment that with roadside assistance.
I recently plugged a hole in my 1.5K mile 2013 rear tire in my driveway without lifting the car or removing the tire.
People say not to plug them but I don't care. If I can do it in my driveway I can probably do it on the side of the road although that would suck.

ryoder 06-21-2013 10:10 PM

Oh and I have runflats so maybe what I just said wouldn't work for a regular tire. Not sure. I have plugged runflats twice.

Gearhead Jim 06-23-2013 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by C6Joy (Post 1584209862)
I think even with run flats you need a battle plan. You can't drive unlimited mileage on them. I carry a pump, repair materials and a AAA card even with the ZP tires. If I had a flat fairly close to a shop or home I would just drive carefully though.

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1584212075)
Nothing prepares anyone for every situation and with the new c7 I would certainly keep the run flats but as far as crisis and resolution on my c5 or c6 without run flats....I believe it makes the most sense.

I hear horror stories of people getting robbed or run over crossing the street etc...

Same in my opinion with running non run flats.

If my wife can run her CTS as it came from gm with no runflats with no spare tire and no big problem ...I think I manage in my corvette without drama..

Great for each of us to. Make our own choices. I drive the average 10 to 12 k per year and have been doing so in non run flat corvettes for just about 15 years..

Not a fan of slime as it does clog the pressure sensors but I like the two dollar plug kit and the $20 little cigarette air compressor.

Takes less Time to fix a flat than it does to type this post..

Then just take the car in when I get a chance for an inside patch to maintain speed rating.

You can go a very long way on a flat runflat, you can Search for a thread I did last year asking the question. I think the winner went over 700 miles, and only stopped because he got home. Driving more slowly, and stopping from time to time so the tire can cool off, might allow you to drive clear across the country; though there are probably differences in different brands that we don't know.

The wife will have not problems so long as she doesn't get a flat.
If she does, then the results become highly variable.

phileaglesfan 06-23-2013 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1584229839)
You can go a very long way on a flat runflat, you can Search for a thread I did last year asking the question. I think the winner went over 700 miles, and only stopped because he got home. Driving more slowly, and stopping from time to time so the tire can cool off, might allow you to drive clear across the country; though there are probably differences in different brands that we don't know.

The wife will have not problems so long as she doesn't get a flat.
If she does, then the results become highly variable.

Talk about doing something unsafe for you and other drivers. Driving at 50-55mph would be like driving a moving chicane especially out west when the speed limit is up to 80mph. Personally I wouldn't risk it as you don't know what kind of damage is inside the tire. Outside might be good

Gary '09 C6 06-23-2013 11:30 PM

nhraracer 06-24-2013 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scotten (Post 1584193657)

Make sure you ask for a flat bed when you call for the tow truck. Otherwise, invest in a new set of run flat tires. :cheers:

Gearhead Jim 06-25-2013 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1584231123)
Talk about doing something unsafe for you and other drivers. Driving at 50-55mph would be like driving a moving chicane especially out west when the speed limit is up to 80mph. Personally I wouldn't risk it as you don't know what kind of damage is inside the tire. Outside might be good

There are places where just driving 55 would be a hazard. I've had to do it many times; the solution was to use the flashers, keep an eye on the rearview mirror, and tap the brake lights to get attention if necessary. For longer distances, do like I did this Spring- pull over and make a sign to put on the back. When practical, go onto a road with less traffic or lower speeds.

Nothing is risk free, but this isn't rocket science. Runflats give you the option to continue if it's safe, or pull over when you choose and call for assistance.

phileaglesfan 06-25-2013 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1584244457)
There are places where just driving 55 would be a hazard. I've had to do it many times; the solution was to use the flashers, keep an eye on the rearview mirror, and tap the brake lights to get attention if necessary. For longer distances, do like I did this Spring- pull over and make a sign to put on the back. When practical, go onto a road with less traffic or lower speeds.

Nothing is risk free, but this isn't rocket science. Runflats give you the option to continue if it's safe, or pull over when you choose and call for assistance.

Never been to Utah have you. There are no other roads to drive slowly and the speed limit is 80 mph in a lot of places with blind curves/hills (and that is the interstates). Why bother with being a moving chicane, just slime the tire up if you want to continue driving.

LS WON 06-26-2013 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by ryoder (Post 1584216618)
Oh and I have runflats so maybe what I just said wouldn't work for a regular tire. Not sure. I have plugged runflats twice.

Used Dyna Plug on runflat and it works great.:thumbs:

gtrtaylor 06-26-2013 02:50 AM

I just finished replacing my OEM Goodyear run-flats tires with new run-flats.
I agree with previous posts regarding getting a flat tire.
Without run-flats, expect to be towed on a flatbed truck to a tire dealer to install a replacement tire.
Will the tires be in stock? 'Good luck' on that!.
However, two (2) factors on run-flats:
1 - Since run-flats can be run without air for up to 50 miles @ 50 mph, a number of manufacturers will not offer road hazard warranty on run flats (or if they do offer it, it is expensive).
2 - Do some research based on how you drive. I nursed 25k miles from my OEM Goodyears but they were hard and noisy.
It came down to 2 tires (Michelin and Bridgestone). Based on my Tirerack research both tires were equiivalent but the Bridgestone was considered the best ride on a run-flat.
When I priced the tires and looked at tread life warranty, I found the following:
1 - Only certain tire dealers would offer road hazard on the Michelin. Sertain tire dealers stated Michelin did not offer road hazard on run-flats, period.
2 - Bridgestone offered a tread life warrranty - Michelin tires either didn't (or it was reduced 50% due to diffferent front / rear sizes.
Decision - I bought the Bridgestone RE960 Run-flats with road hazard, a better tread life warranty (30K front and rear), and 'best in class' recommendation on ride quality (from Tirerack).
Results - I'm ECSTATIC!!!!!!!!!! (except for cost $2K)
Great ride quality - very quiet!!!
My C6 has been 'enhanced' with thicker drive tunnel plate (chassis stiffness), Heatmaster Heat shield on drive tunnel, and a complete under the carpet thermal heat / noise insulation kit from Exotic Vettes (installed by Exotic Vettes).
My C6 is (now) a cool, comfortable grand touring machine that is quick, quiet, and cool in the summer (no console heat or hot cockpit for driver or passenger). 10 dB quieter inside (you can hear the stereo at 80 mph)
The new RE960 tires finish the Grand Touring equation - great handling, great comfort, assurance of run-flats and a 'pricy' road hazard warranty should the tire(s) get damaged.
Who would 'ever' buy tires without road hazard?
FYI 2008 C6 with Magnetic Ride Suspension - My 'enhanced' C6 is a great GT car with 'new' great tires - I'm very happy

uwec86 06-26-2013 07:21 AM

Michelin or Brigestone for wet roads?

phileaglesfan 06-26-2013 10:19 AM

Slightly over $1300 for a set of Michelin Super Sports for the GS/Z06 on tirerack. PS2 ZP is $700 more and even Michelin rates it as inferior to the PSS. The only time a non run flat owner will see a flat bed is if the tire is damaged beyond repair which in most cases the RF owner will do the same if he doesn't push the tire limits.

You can easily get more than 50 miles away from anything that resembles civilization out west.

Some runflats won't even let you repair it at all (Firestone), others won't let you drop the pressure below 15 psi which is not much air.

Regardless if you are using non runflats or runflats you should have a good air compressor, can of slime and maybe a tire repair kit with you. The fact is that the C6 has unique tire sizes especially the rear. You will probably wait at least 2-3 days for a specific tire.

And yes run flat owners may see a flat bed. Ask Makoshark. With his experience with run flats guess what tire he has now. The PSS.

uwec86 06-26-2013 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan (Post 1584252060)
Slightly over $1300 for a set of Michelin Super Sports for the GS/Z06 on tirerack. PS2 ZP is $700 more and even Michelin rates it as inferior to the PSS.

What brand is the PSS? Sorry for dumb questions.

crusher1 06-26-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by uwec86 (Post 1584252238)
What brand is the PSS? Sorry for dumb questions.

It is Michelin...I just put on the Pilot Super Sports 2 weeks ago. Awesome tire :thumbs:

b0xm0ns73r 06-26-2013 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer (Post 1584200702)
We took a short ride on I-25, ABQ - Colorado Springs last week. Cell phone coverage for most of the trip was at best sparse.

/\/\/\/\/\
What he said......I live about 4 hours northeast of him. I live in the middle of town and I can drive 7-8 minutes either direction and be out of cell range for a good while.

LS WON 06-26-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by uwec86 (Post 1584250694)
Michelin or Brigestone for wet roads?

Conti Dry Wet Snow (Extreme DWS) nonrunflat A/S tire.:yesnod: