CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] Trouble finding gears (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3287993-trouble-finding-gears.html)

Bobtam 06-12-2013 08:19 PM

Trouble finding gears

I installed a monster stage two clutch last summer changed fluids in trans and rear. Amsoil torque drive in trans. Did it with my neighbor on our backs. Everthing worked great and did a track day with no problems.
car has not been driven much this year and I have just started to have a hard time shifting. at times it is difficult to find 5th gear and 6th.
Down shifting to third is difficult hard to get in and find. Then at times it all seems to work fine. I actually caught reverse going into 5th today. This is scary. I dont think its me.
Sitting in the car not running going through the gears is difficult.
Anybody have any ideas

Hitman227 06-15-2013 03:51 AM

Hmm, I know that symptom, sounds like synchros. I have an RPM Level V T-56, it works fantastically. Feel free to email me if you want in regards to the trans, I'll be able to answer any questions. In the mean time try again changing the fluids, this helps for flushing that's required for standard maintenances.

C66 Racing 06-15-2013 07:57 AM

I suspect the fluid is not your issue. I've been racing with the AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Product Code ATD1G) for years and I only change my fluid annually after 4-5 track weekends.

Bent shift forks are pretty common as well. Upgraded transmissions have steel forks.

Forum vendor RKT Performance has a pretty nice webpage showing the weak links in the stock transmission. Worth a look for anyone who tracks their car.

T56 - Why Upgrade
:cheers:

CorvetteJimZ06 06-15-2013 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by C66 Racing (Post 1584161399)
Bent shift forks are pretty common as well. Upgraded transmissions have steel forks.

Forum vendor RKT Performance has a pretty nice webpage showing the weak links in the stock transmission. Worth a look for anyone who tracks their car.

T56 - Why Upgrade

I'd put my money on bent shift rods. I had a similar issue and the rods were bent. I went to the heavier steel rods. It's a 30 minute installation if you have a lift to get under the car.

Bobtam 06-15-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteJimZ06 (Post 1584161609)
I'd put my money on bent shift rods. I had a similar issue and the rods were bent. I went to the heavier steel rods. It's a 30 minute installation if you have a lift to get under the car.

Where can I get heavier steel rods?

Bobtam 06-15-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteJimZ06 (Post 1584161609)

I,m confused The only shift rod I know of is the long rod going from the shifter along the torque tube to the trans.

Hitman227 06-15-2013 05:53 PM

The rods from the trans to the rear end should be checked. With regular use this will wear over time, with heavier use they're slop sooner. Upgrading this path is worth it because any weak component on the driveline won't allow speed shifting as quick or fast.

C66 Racing 06-16-2013 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bobtam (Post 1584163352)
I,m confused The only shift rod I know of is the long rod going from the shifter along the torque tube to the trans.

I think the bigger problem is the stock aluminum shift forks which are inside the transmission (photos of these are on the RKT Performance link I pasted above).

Bobtam 07-16-2013 09:12 PM

Not only did I have trouble finding gears but started to get a strange noise when down shifting to second or third. this noise ( like a high pitched grinding) continued even if I put the lever in neutral with clutch in. It would continue for a couple of seconds then go away. Then it would sometimes give a squealing sound going into second or third. this does not happen all the time. I thought I might be in between two gears with both engaged or a syncro problem. Seems to get worse when the car gets hot. Its been near 100F here days in a row.
Went and adjusted the shift linkage following factory procedure and the shifting and gear selection improved a lot. Did not hear the noise anymore until today when it happened on downshifting again. The squeal upshifting came back once. This is strange because 95 percent of the time it shifts perfectly. No grinding even on high RPM upshifts. I'm baffled.