CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   455=427 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3277281-455-427-a.html)

Big Dan 427 05-26-2013 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave (Post 1583994429)
I am with you OX

.......If I am going to spend that type of coin it will be on a C7 Z06 :thumbs:

When is that car coming out Hemi Dave? What will it cost? And will it be an iconic model like the 427 and it won't be a vert? Not to mention a long time of being w/out a car to enjoy! The OP made a great choice, the car he bought has every positive you can ask for.:thumbs:

Z_Rocks 05-26-2013 10:35 AM

Congats to your new 427. But something puzzles me... If 427 purchase was to give you more power than C7, then you already have a monster power (ZR1), so why spend $70,000 on an outgoing model that is going to look old compared to C7, where you could have had ZR1 for power and C7 for the new look? I made that mistake on C5 when C6 was coming out and I hated my decision, because suddenly the C5 looked outdated when it was parked next to a C6.

There are a lot of new stuff in C7 to enjoy, than just power.

Hemi Dave 05-26-2013 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1583994541)
When is that car coming out Hemi Dave? What will it cost? And will it be an iconic model like the 427 and it won't be a vert? Not to mention a long time of being w/out a car to enjoy! The OP made a great choice, the car he bought has every positive you can ask for.:thumbs:

Cant get any C7 right now Dan :)

.....I am not knocking the OP's choice....the 427 is one of my Fav Vettes :thumbs:

Big Dan 427 05-26-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave (Post 1583994599)
Cant get any C7 right now Dan :)

.....I am not knocking the OP's choice....the 427 is one of my Fav Vettes :thumbs:

Haha, good one Dave. I didn't know.:lol: I was actually asking about the ZO6 C7 you referred too, part of all the C7 uncertainty is that GM has been so secretive. If guys who would like the heavy hitter knew for fact the car was coming out let's say next spring it would allow folks to maybe adjust their choices.:thumbs:

Hemi Dave 05-26-2013 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427 (Post 1583994680)
Haha, good one Dave. I didn't know.:lol: I was actually asking about the ZO6 C7 you referred too, part of all the C7 uncertainty is that GM has been so secretive. If guys who would like the heavy hitter knew for fact the car was coming out let's say next spring it would allow folks to maybe adjust their choices.:thumbs:

I know you were asking about the C7 Z06.....I would wait for it

..... but it's the OP's coin so screw what I think :)

I hope GM comes out with the official #'s soon myself :thumbs:

sam90lx 05-26-2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave (Post 1583994429)
I am with you OX

.......If I am going to spend that type of coin it will be on a C7 Z06 :thumbs:

That type of coin is gonna be 90k.

C7 BOB 05-26-2013 01:24 PM

It says 455:
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/image...3/052413_2.jpg

TacDoc 05-26-2013 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks (Post 1583994589)
Congats to your new 427. But something puzzles me... If 427 purchase was to give you more power than C7, then you already have a monster power (ZR1), so why spend $70,000 on an outgoing model that is going to look old compared to C7, where you could have had ZR1 for power and C7 for the new look? I made that mistake on C5 when C6 was coming out and I hated my decision, because suddenly the C5 looked outdated when it was parked next to a
There are a lot of new stuff in C7 to enjoy, than just power.

Great question. I had a BMW I was looking to trade for a C7 but figured I would rather keep a 427 and trade our Grand Sport in 2 years for a C7 ZR1 or Z06. Long range planning, an Army thing...

Z_Rocks 05-26-2013 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TacDoc (Post 1583995816)
Great question. I had a BMW I was looking to trade for a C7 but figured I would rather keep a 427 and trade our Grand Sport in 2 years for a C7 ZR1 or Z06. Long range planning, an Army thing...

Great! You're one step ahead of me. I really hope GM will make a 427 of this LT engine for C7 Z06. That's what I'm waiting for, the Z....
:thumbs:
:cheers:

Hemi Dave 05-26-2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1583995043)
That type of coin is gonna be 90k.

2013 Z06 1LZ......MSRP $77,590.....

.......That would be one heck of a price increase Sam :rofl:

.......I think is going to be about the same price as the 2013 for alot more car..........:thumbs:

OJCrush08 05-26-2013 05:25 PM

Good Deal - Wise Choice

Originally Posted by TacDoc (Post 1583995816)

I was lucky in 2011 to get my new '10 CRM loaded Z06 from a dealership for $73k, MSRP was $87k. To me there are two iconic American V8s - the 427, and the 426 Hemi. With the money I saved, plus a bit more, now have WCC Brodix LS7 heads plus a lot more on my 622 h/p, 3050 lb N/A ride...

Good choice on your part! :cheers:

sam90lx 05-26-2013 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave (Post 1583997069)
2013 Z06 1LZ......MSRP $77,590.....

.......That would be one heck of a price increase Sam :rofl:

.......I think is going to be about the same price as the 2013 for alot more car..........:thumbs:

I hope you are right but I remember Z06's stickering for 80-90k. Just noticed 1LZ.

SBC_and_a_stick 05-26-2013 05:58 PM

The other thing to remember is that the LT1 gen 5 is GM's beefiest engine GM ever made. It cools down better, it oils itself better, and the power potential is the highest.

427 is a marketing gimmik. It is not a big block, it's not even 427 cubic inches (428). In addition, it makes no difference if it was a big block 427 unless you are willing to spend money on nostalgia. Truth is, the now replaced 4th gen block is bored. With that you get less wall stiffness and less material to cool down. By comparison, the limits of the 5th gen LT1 are much higher in both respects.

arcticblast 05-26-2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Reciprocal (Post 1583992279)
The problem with the Camaro is that it's got a rear end that looks like it came off a Stingray.

Now that's funny....I don't care who you are.

OJCrush08 05-26-2013 08:57 PM

Marketing Gimmick?

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick (Post 1583997268)
The other thing to remember is that the LT1 gen 5 is GM's beefiest engine GM ever made. It cools down better, it oils itself better, and the power potential is the highest.

427 is a marketing gimmik. It is not a big block, it's not even 427 cubic inches (428). In addition, it makes no difference if it was a big block 427 unless you are willing to spend money on nostalgia. Truth is, the now replaced 4th gen block is bored. With that you get less wall stiffness and less material to cool down. By comparison, the limits of the 5th gen LT1 are much higher in both respects.

Wow, you are a true "Defender of the latest GM Faith." Perhaps 600 years ago you would have worn a jupon with St George's Cross to give you the God Given right to murder English enemies. :lol:

I was not putting the LT1 down, but I also cannot help to respond to your dismissive comment about the LS7 being no more than a "marketing gimmick."

So bunkie, let's set the record straight with some facts re the LS7, shall we?

1. The development team spent a year running computer simulations and developing individual components before the first engines were built. Wow, ya mean GM actually spent thousands of hours of computer time on an engine NOT named LT1?

2. The block utilized the same approach to make room for the bigger bore pistons as Katech did for the C5-R engine.

3. The main caps were substantially upgraded, as was the forged crank.

4. The pistons were one of the first applications of Mahle's breakthrough Ecoform casting process and the highly stessed piston pins used a greatly upgraded gas-nitraded, chromium-molybdenum-vanadium steel.

5. LS7 was the first GM street engine with a dry sump oiling system.

6. Cylinder head design started with analysis of Katech's C5-R head block and their final design was assisted by Mike Chapman, who is very highly regarded in the racing cylinder head business. Its camshaft profile was more aggressive than any other contemporary small V8.

7. The LS7 produced the highest N/A power of any mass produced GM small block.

For several years, this engine was used as the basis of C6R power and won a hell of a lot of ALMs races.

In 2012, Road & Track Magazine did a comprehensive review of every Corvette model offered - test them extensively on the track. Unanamous winner - Z06.

Marketing gimmick? I think not.

If you want to shill the LT1, that's fine. However, do that based on it's own merits (when and if they are proven in the real world and in competition) without resorting to factless cheap shots.

OnPoint 05-26-2013 08:58 PM

OP,

Nice rides. Enjoy and be safe.:thumbs:

sam90lx 05-26-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by OJCrush08 (Post 1583998357)
Wow, you are a true "Defender of the latest GM Faith." Perhaps 600 years ago you would have worn a jupon with St George's Cross to give you the God Given right to murder English enemies. :lol:

I was not putting the LT1 down, but I also cannot help to respond to your dismissive comment about the LS7 being no more than a "marketing gimmick."

1. The development team spent a year running computer simulations and developing individual components before the first engines were built. Wow, ya mean GM actually spent thousands of hours of computer time on an engine NOT named LT1?

2. The block utilized the same approach to make room for the bigger bore pistons as Katech did for the C5-R engine.

4. The pistons were one of the first applications of Mahle's breakthrough Ecoform casting process and the highly stessed piston pins used a greatly upgraded gas-nitraded, chromium-molybdenum-vanadium steel.

6. Cylinder head design started with analysis of Katech's C5-R head block and their final design was assisted by Mike Chapman, who is very highly regarded in the racing cylinder head business. Its camshaft profile was more aggressive than any other contemporary small V8.

For several years, this engine was used as the basis of C6R power and won a hell of a lot of ALMs races.

In 2012, Road & Track Magazine did a comprehensive review of every Corvette model offered - test them extensively on the track. Unanamous winner - Z06.

If you want to shill the LT1, that's fine. However, do that based on it's own merits (when and if they are proven in the real world and in competition) without resorting to factless cheap shots.

This dude rocks! Debate over!

Big Dan 427 05-26-2013 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by OJCrush08 (Post 1583998357)

Party over! Who shot the owl...no pun intended.:lol:

ZL-1 05-26-2013 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1583994087)
...it's going to be at least 2 years before we see the the big hp #'s in the C7.

Keeks showed us the supercharged LT4 engine last year. Expect to see it at the Detroit show around January 13th or 14th :thumbs:

sam90lx 05-26-2013 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZL-1 (Post 1583999027)
Keeks showed us the supercharged LT4 engine last year. Expect to see it at the Detroit show around January 13th or 14th :thumbs:

Man that would be cool !