CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   455 Horsepower? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3275908-455-horsepower.html)

JerriVette 05-23-2013 09:48 AM

I do believe the c7 Z51 will come dam close to the C6 Z06...in performance.

I think it's the excitement that makes some say the c7 Z51 will beat the c6 z06..

For those that own the beautiful c6 z06 ..don't take the excitement and over exuberance as a personal insult.

I would suggest it's not the intention of any C7 fan.

JMOq

JoesC5 05-23-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1583970850)
A LOT of old folks THINK they can still drive just fine. Many of us know otherwise. There comes a time when the kids just have to hide the keys for everyone's safety!:D
http://www.vote29.com/newmyblog/wp-c...an-driving.jpg

I can tell my driving skills are diminishing, but that doesn't mean I'm down to circling the drive thru at Burger King for thrills.

Gee, I haven't had a speeding ticket since I was a young snot back in 1966 and the last accident I had was in 1970. Yet I'm able to run faster than most of the youngsters at Talladega and haven't had any leave me in the dust at the Tail of the dragon. So, I must be doing something right, even if you think I should be put out to pasture.

That said, I've seen 80 year olds that can drive better than a lot of kids in their 20's. A young age doesn't automatically mean a higher level of skill.

JoesC5 05-23-2013 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by B-Myster (Post 1583970898)
JoeC5, was this you at Talladega or the Tail of the Dragon? :D :rock:

http://k106fm.com/files/2013/04/tumb...z7-500x356.jpg

Nope, that's my son and his wife. They were trying to catch up with me. I had just lapped them.

BlueOx 05-23-2013 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583971201)
I can tell my driving skills are diminishing, but that doesn't mean I'm down to circling the drive thru at Burger King for thrills.

Gee, I haven't had a speeding ticket since I was a young snot back in 1966 and the last accident I had was in 1970. Yet I'm able to run faster than most of the youngsters at Talladega and haven't had any leave me in the dust at the Tail of the dragon. So, I must be doing something right, even if you think I should be put out to pasture.

That said, I've seen 80 year olds that can drive better than a lot of kids in their 20's. A young age doesn't automatically mean a higher level of skill.

I'm sure you are doing just fine. I was just kidding around.:thumbs:

JoesC5 05-23-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1583971302)
I'm sure you are doing just fine. I was just kidding around.:thumbs:

I know, but I am slowing down some. I do realize that I don't have the skills I once had, and I'm not stupid. At 71, I've realized that one doesn't live forever, so no point in pushing my luck. I pushed it many times during my youth, and managed to stay alive, but that good luck won't last forever.

You're not as old as I am, but you are getting there. I bet you know your limitations better than some young snot on this forum thinks he knows them.

lt4obsesses 05-23-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1583971166)
I do believe the c7 Z51 will come dam close to the C6 Z06...in performance.

I think it's the excitement that makes some say the c7 Z51 will beat the c6 z06..

For those that own the beautiful c6 z06 ..don't take the excitement and over exuberance as a personal insult.

I would suggest it's not the intention of any C7 fan.

JMOq

IMO, it appears to me, that power increase was not the main focal point of this redesign. Chassis, interior, efficiency, and aerodynamics seem to be where most of the money went. The HP increase really seems more of a result of the increased efficiency numbers than a planned assult on the previous model.

That said, the upgraded suspension and chassis, better aero and cooling, and power efficiency may very well make this car perform at a level close to, not better, but close to the current Z06 on a track. Which would actually be a big win on a $55K car. But, again, it just doesn't look like they were going for that big number, at least in the inaugural year of the C7.

JoesC5 05-23-2013 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1583971505)
IMO, it appears to me, that power increase was not the main focal point of this redesign. Chassis, interior, efficiency, and aerodynamics seem to be where most of the money went. The HP increase really seems more of a result of the increased efficiency numbers than a planned assult on the previous model.

That said, the upgraded suspension and chassis, better aero and cooling, and power efficiency may very well make this car perform at a level close to, not better, but close to the current Z06 on a track. Which would actually be a big win on a $55K car. But, again, it just doesn't look like they were going for that big number, at least in the inaugural year of the C7.

I will admit that the C7 won't have to stop and get gas as often as the Z06 while doing laps at road Atlanta, but that's about all.

Bill17601 05-23-2013 10:55 AM

As I get older I see a difference. Night time is not as much fun driving. A smart person recognizes their limitations. Of you do not make allowances for reaction times etc the results could be tragic ..

JerriVette 05-23-2013 10:55 AM

The LT1 will produce more torque at 1000 rpm than a Porsche 911 delivers at it's peak. From what's been stated so far the torque produced between 2000 and 4000 rpm mimics the very potent C6 z06.

The power delivery of the c7 Z51 to the ground as well as the handling and braking should offer track performance that transcends whatever the peak horsepower of the LT1 ends up being.

Mr lee on last weeks auto line After Hours show available on www.auto line.tv stated quite proudly that the hp and torque levels achieved in the prior weeks SAE testing leads many enthusiasts to have high hopes that hp will go beyond the 455 headlined in this thread.

Shouldn't be too much longer when the hp, tq and performance numbers for the c7 Z51 are released.

Yes the c6 z06 will perform better. Yet for those that want near c6 Z06 performance and the ability to take the roof off, I personally believe they will quite satisfied.

All starting at a price of 54 thousand dollars.

That is an exciting development for both corvette engineers and corvette enthusiasts

tuxnharley 05-23-2013 10:56 AM

So, it looks like the 450 HP estimate is....................."obsolete"? :D

ChromeC5 05-23-2013 10:57 AM

Sorry to get back on topic. Anyone actually go back and notice that in 2 of the 3 links posted the double comma and 455 HP claim have been corrected to one comma and 450 hp?

Personally, I don't care if the C7 had an advertised 150 hp. As long as it meets the claim of 0-60 in under 4 seconds and over 1g of lateral grip, I am happy. Not sure how much hp it takes to make a seat of the pants difference but going from 450 hp to 475 hp is only a difference of 5% or only 1/20th of an increase in hp.

LT1_E85_Corvette 05-23-2013 10:57 AM

Everyone relax, it's not 455. When it's on the GM website, then we can start discussing. Trust me, GM has no intent for it to be released the way we all thing it was. Way to sloppy

red2012 05-23-2013 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1583966417)
I assume it is a typo.

And tell me why would that be.

1985 Corvette 05-23-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583971133)
I agree that there were some of those type posts, and they were made by stupid people, same as now.

I'm going with a completely new set of heads from PRC in a couple of months(my warranty runs out in late July). That way I have all new components on a head that I know is machined correctly. Cost is $3,000 + installation. I'm extremely unhappy with GM.

I'm with you there! The issue isn't going away and it's going to impact private sale, I bet quite a bit. And now the same motor possibly unchanged is going into a "race ready" Camaro Z28.... It's only going to get worse as the mileage climbs on these LS7s. I can't recall an issue like this. Only thing I can really sort of relate would be the early LS6 engines which had oil ring seating problems?

BlueOx 05-23-2013 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583971390)
I know, but I am slowing down some. I do realize that I don't have the skills I once had, and I'm not stupid. At 71, I've realized that one doesn't live forever, so no point in pushing my luck. I pushed it many times during my youth, and managed to stay alive, but that good luck won't last forever.

You're not as old as I am, but you are getting there. I bet you know your limitations better than some young snot on this forum thinks he knows them.

Yes, I used up 8.75 of my 9 lives on a variety of motorcycles in my ill-spent youth. I converted to convertibles as the next closest, and safer, thing. :thumbs:

I've yet to get on a track but if/when I do get a C7, it will be a coupe and it will see the track, even if only at a driving school.:D

red2012 05-23-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ChromeC5 (Post 1583971650)

Personally, I don't care if the C7 had an advertised 150 hp. As long as it meets the claim of 0-60 in under 4 seconds and over 1g of lateral grip, I am happy.

The GS does that now.

Supermassive 05-23-2013 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583970689)
Just another cheap shot aimed at the older folks that have supported the Corvette for years while you bought the rice cakes. At 71 years old, I can't do the things I could just a few short years ago, because of a multitude of medical reasons(which you will have to face down the road) like restoring my 56 vette or maintaining my all original 62,000 miles 64 Vette. I'm pretty much down to doing routine maintenance on my cars like oil changes etc(I do have two 4-post lifts in my garage for such things).

But I still am able to run my C6 Z06 at over 160 MPH at Talladega and push it pretty hard at the twisties such as Tail of the Dragon and the Pig Trail as well as many other avenues.

I don't street race and I don't remember seeing a 2103 Scion running at Talladega or at the many twisty roads I've driven on(along with plenty of other elderly gents in their twin turbo 2007, or Maggie GS, or Maggie Lingenfelter, or several Maggie Callaways, as well as stock Z06's and ZR1's).

And I bet I was building and racing my 1932 Ford 3 window coupe in A/G before you were born. That was back in 1961, while in college. Just because I'm an old Corvette owner/driver now, doesn't mean I didn't do the things you think you are so special for doing today, when I was full of piss and vinegar.

I got old and so will you. Enjoy your youth but don't slam those that have been around the block several times for each time you've been around the block once. We earned our scars.

Funny how we old farts have blown our "mid life crisis" money on our Corvettes yet still are able to have some left over for plenty of things with out having to dig under the couch cushions looking for change in order to pay for them. While I paid cash for my C6 Z06, how many months did it take you to pay for your Scion, or for your new C7(if you can really afford one).

Jeez way to take something way more personally than I ever would have tried to make a comment on...I guess the fact that my whole response was about my feelings and how I look at the prospect of the C7 Z06 and ZR-1...Youre right I wasnt even born when you started your passion...hell my parents were toddlers back then. How does that make your love of cars any more important or meaningful than mine? Im 32, and have struggled my entire adult life to finally get a job that pays enough to own something better than a "ricer" (your words not mine) and you want to berate me because I said that "if I (emphasis on that I there, reading comprehension is hard sometimes) didnt care about working on cars or racing schools, I would blow MY midlife crisis money on a Z06 or ZR-1. Its not a jab at old people and certainly not a jab at you...this is the mentality of Corvette owners that has steered me away from the cars and community before. Theres this animosity between the younger generations and the older ones as if your age and "time served" as a Corvette fan has any more weight than some 16 year old kid who loves the same cars and has mommy and daddy buy the car for him.

Thats enough with derailing this thread with overexaggerated claims of superiority, I'd personally not like to see this thread locked because people read too much into written text without thinking about it in the context of the whole post...I guess I was hoping for a more mature board that didnt flip out over anything that could be misconstrued...maybe I mistaken.

lt4obsesses 05-23-2013 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583971614)
I will admit that the C7 won't have to stop and get gas as often as the Z06 while doing laps at road Atlanta, but that's about all.

Man, stop it. I am not in this, or any post, thread or private conversation at work or with my brother claiming, insinuating, hoping, or dreaming that the Base C7, even Z51 equipped will outperform, outrun, or out anything the current Z06. I'm saying that the upgrades, and Jim Mero said the same, will make it fairly competitive.Which is different, and a long road from saying better, or even equal to.

The C7 looks like a good design and a great foundation to build upon. When the high performance variant comes out, then we'll see how that one stacks up against the car it's designed to replace.

gthal 05-23-2013 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583971681)
The GS does that now.

Correct and the C7 Z51 will do it even better :D

gthal 05-23-2013 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1583971757)
Man, stop it. I am not in this, or any post, thread or private conversation at work or with my brother claiming, insinuating, hoping, or dreaming that the Base C7, even Z51 equipped will outperform, outrun, or out anything the current Z06. I'm saying that the upgrades, and Jim Mero said the same, will make it fairly competitive.Which is different, and a long road from saying better, or even equal to.

The C7 looks like a good design and a great foundation to build upon. When the high performance variant comes out, then we'll see how that one stacks up against the car it's designed to replace.

There are a couple of people here who do claim the C7 will "outperform" the Z06 but they are the minority by far. Most people, you and I included, believe it will be closer in performance than the C6 GS... "competitive" for lack of a better term... but will not outperform it. Some folks like to latch on to the couple of comments where a member is overly optimistic and then never let go :D