CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Help. I drive to fast and agressive (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3275444-help-i-drive-to-fast-and-agressive.html)

2001yellow/redC5 05-22-2013 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2001yellow/redC5 (Post 1583959308)
I have owned 3 daily driver Corvettes over the years. All were modded. Never wrecked or caused a wreck. I find it is too easy to go faster, around slower, or lane change quicker than 99% of the cars out on the road. I try too relax and drive with traffic, play music, etc... Need some advice on avoiding the urge to drive fast and aggressive.

All, thanks for the input. I want to point out that I do not drive in a wreckless, agressive or fast manor daily, I find myself tempted by driving quickly, turning sharply and braking quickly. I realize this is a problems with me and my driving style. I must say this thread has been a wake up call and made me take a long hard look at myself. I am embrassed and well should be.
I will think of all you out there and all those people and familes before I ever feel compelled to drive that way in the future. Thanks again :D

Haxzaw 05-22-2013 05:02 PM

Here are some thoughts for you:

I realize, and try to remember, that a lot of people think Corvette drivers are douches. I consciously try not to do anything that will perpetuate those thoughts.

I took a sport driving classroom course years ago in England, and one thing the instructor said that I will never forget is, "If someone sees you do something illegal or dangerous, you messed up." In other words do what you want when no one else is around for you to hurt or kill.

I get frustrated quite a few times because of the things drivers do. At times my frustration swells to the point I drive in a manner that I later regret, regardless of what vehicle I'm driving. I often take routes that have less traffic, even though it is a longer trip, so that I can avoid those issues as much as possible.

Bottom line, think about what you're doing, or about to do, and make the decision to be better than that. Not easy, it takes practice, but it gets easier over time.

Firepituk 05-22-2013 06:10 PM

Interesting question...

Here in the UK lots of people find it difficult to obey the speed limits. It's a fact that the motorway speed can be around 85mph-95mph with most people only doing 70 if there are speed cameras or bad weather.

The odd thing I noticed when I got the vette was how easy it is to do the actual speed limits. It's because of the high torque which makes low speed driving super easy. My driving is slower in the vette than it is in my 730d BMW.

That tells me it's not a car problem it's a driver problem. So why not fit a B&B bullet exhaust system, which sounds wicked at lower speeds, to give you that sense of a faster speed, whilst remaining alive and out of trouble with the traffic cops.

If that fails go and volunteer at a hospital and it won't be long before you see the effects that poor and selfish driving has on people and their families.

hdkeno 05-25-2013 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Haxzaw (Post 1583965984)
Here are some thoughts for you:

I realize, and try to remember, that a lot of people think Corvette drivers are douches. I consciously try not to do anything that will perpetuate those thoughts.

I took a sport driving classroom course years ago in England, and one thing the instructor said that I will never forget is, "If someone sees you do something illegal or dangerous, you messed up." In other words do what you want when no one else is around for you to hurt or kill.

I get frustrated quite a few times because of the things drivers do. At times my frustration swells to the point I drive in a manner that I later regret, regardless of what vehicle I'm driving. I often take routes that have less traffic, even though it is a longer trip, so that I can avoid those issues as much as possible.

Bottom line, think about what you're doing, or about to do, and make the decision to be better than that. Not easy, it takes practice, but it gets easier over time.

:iagree: Couldnt of put it better..

Sids04 05-25-2013 08:52 PM

Get a $517 good driving award from the state of CT...

Aerovette 05-26-2013 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by hdkeno (Post 1583989823)
:iagree: Couldnt of put it better..

Yes, you could have.

OP, I drive aggressively as well. I make no apologies for it. I pray I never have to.

bikeriderga 05-26-2013 03:01 AM

Buy a Vette and then drive like you have one foot in the grave and another on a banana peal. NOT!!

Of course most Vette drivers will drive more agressive than Soccer moms in their SADs (Slow and Dangerous).

No, you should not be dangerous or wreckless. But getting from 0-70,80 in about 6 seconds, should be a given on occasion.

sircampsalot2 05-26-2013 03:14 PM

Nah, you just need to roll with it....If you have the Need for speed then just understand that thats your personallity and gas on that Biotch!

Mattie Num Nums 05-26-2013 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sircampsalot2 (Post 1583996362)
Nah, you just need to roll with it....If you have the Need for speed then just understand that thats your personallity and gas on that Biotch!

Dear god.

:sadangel:

road pilot 05-26-2013 03:32 PM

A couple of speeding tickets and or reckless driving tickets and
your insurance rates going through the roof and you will slow
down.

Aerovette 05-26-2013 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by road pilot (Post 1583996464)
A couple of speeding tickets and or reckless driving tickets and
your insurance rates going through the roof and you will slow
down.

Several have said this and I can tell you from experience it is not true. The system is broken. It does not punish or deter. It simply collects a fee for speeding as a tax is collected. I can take defensive driving every year and my ticket is dismessed and the insurance company never knows it happened. If you keep your tickets 12 months apart, NOTHING will happen. Of course there are exceptions. Crazy speed will get your car impounded and you're not getting out of that kind of ticket easily. Most tickets I have gotten are 75 in a 60 or 65.

ztheusa 05-26-2013 04:59 PM

I have owned 3 daily driver Corvettes over the years. All were modded. Never wrecked or caused a wreck. I find it is too easy to go faster, around slower, or lane change quicker than 99% of the cars out on the road. I try too relax and drive with traffic, play music, etc... Need some advice on avoiding the urge to drive fast and aggressive.

Go to night school and try and get your GED.

AU N EGL 05-26-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jcsperson (Post 1583960465)
HPDE.

After you do that a few times anything you do on the street will seem tame and boring. After you've done 150, the difference between going 65 or 85 isn't going to move your excitement meter at all.

:iagree:

after a few hundred miles over the years, above 130 mph. or above 160 in a ZR1, Its no big deal/

Get a pick up truck and driving at highway speeds 65 when all the other wannabes go flying by at 80. you just smirk ;)

FASTAZU 05-26-2013 05:15 PM

Well you ask for it, So your the Corvette driver that gives us all a bad rap for driving a Corvette.

Mr.Bill 05-26-2013 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by sircampsalot2 (Post 1583996362)

:rofl:

Mr. Jean 05-26-2013 07:06 PM

Perhaps a small adjustable stop under the gas peddle or on your linkage. Adjust until you find your safe zone.:thumbs:

sprintracer99 05-26-2013 08:23 PM

Speed doesn't kill..It's the sudden stop that kills. I let my Vette run most everytime it's out, but we live in a very rural area also. America.. Land of the Free !

cor66vette 05-26-2013 08:58 PM

... I find it is too easy to go faster, around slower, or lane change quicker than 99% of the cars out on the road. ... Need some advice on avoiding the urge to drive fast and aggressive.

Mature

WKMCD 05-26-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by AU N EGL (Post 1583997014)
:iagree:

after a few hundred miles over the years, above 130 mph. or above 160 in a ZR1, Its no big deal/

Get a pick up truck and driving at highway speeds 65 when all the other wannabes go flying by at 80. you just smirk ;)

:iagree::iagree:

Pull it down from 180 at Daytona to make the turn into the infield a few times and you realize how squirrelly it is to jump between lanes on the highway thinking you're Oliver Gavin...

Not saying I won't push my car hard without endagering others but I also have a pretty healthy sense of aftermath.

oh1vette 05-26-2013 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aerovette (Post 1583996881)
Several have said this and I can tell you from experience it is not true. The system is broken. It does not punish or deter. It simply collects a fee for speeding as a tax is collected. I can take defensive driving every year and my ticket is dismessed and the insurance company never knows it happened. If you keep your tickets 12 months apart, NOTHING will happen. Of course there are exceptions. Crazy speed will get your car impounded and you're not getting out of that kind of ticket easily. Most tickets I have gotten are 75 in a 60 or 65.

??????