CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Need help!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3274299-need-help.html)

ourblk96 05-19-2013 09:39 PM

Need help!!!

Last evening while driving at highway speeds the car suddenly jerk hard to the right and it felt as if the brakes were stomped on (not by me!!), the drive information center displayed "ABS" and then returned to the odometer reading..no lights were displayed. I pulled the codes after I shut the engine off and got the following:
C1214H
C1288H
C1277H
P1571H
P1689H

I had the ABS module serviced by ABS fixer in March.

This isn't the first time this has happened but not as violent as this instance!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don:flag:

lionelhutz 05-20-2013 11:20 AM

C1214 & C1277 are indicating you have a solenoid failure in the EBCM. That could be bad news for the module. My guess would be a bad solder joint on one of the solenoid coils.

C1288 is a SWPS code and I'd suspect that's what causing it to swerve, the SWPS tells the controller you're trying to turn but it doesn't see the yaw signal saying the car is turning so it hits the front brake trying to get the car to actually turn.

I'm not sure what to think about the last 2 codes. The EBCM has a PWM output that feeds the PCM to tell it to cut the torque. These codes are indicating that wasn't working. Did you have tuning done on the car? Does the traction control cut engine power correctly when you spin the tires?

coia96vette 05-20-2013 12:46 PM

My 04 did the same thing but pulled hard left. I got the codes C1287 and C1288 which was the SWPS. I changed it out and no problems since. Got mine from Gene at www.gmpartshouse.com. cost about $65.00 and 2.5 to 3 hours to change it out.

ourblk96 05-20-2013 08:11 PM

I'm not sure what to think about the last 2 codes. The EBCM has a PWM output that feeds the PCM to tell it to cut the torque. These codes are indicating that wasn't working. Did you have tuning done on the car? Does the traction control cut engine power correctly when you spin the tires?

There's been no tune done on the car that I'm aware of. The traction control does work when the tires cut loose. Any other thoughts?

Don

ourblk96 05-20-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by coia96vette (Post 1583946502)
My 04 did the same thing but pulled hard left. I got the codes C1287 and C1288 which was the SWPS. I changed it out and no problems since. Got mine from Gene at www.gmpartshouse.com. cost about $65.00 and 2.5 to 3 hours to change it out.

Do you happen to remember the part number? Did you swap out the sensor yourself and if so was it difficult?

Thanks,

lionelhutz 05-20-2013 08:38 PM

What year is your car?

If your TC works I'd go after the SWPS first. You could also check the connectors at the EBCM and SWPS to see if there are damaged pins.

ourblk96 05-20-2013 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by lionelhutz (Post 1583950417)
What year is your car?

If your TC works I'd go after the SWPS first. You could also check the connectors at the EBCM and SWPS to see if there are damaged pins.

I'm sorry I should have mentioned that in the initial post...it's a 2003.

How difficult is it to replace the steering position sensor? Thanks for all your help.

ourblk96 05-20-2013 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by coia96vette (Post 1583946502)

Did you get the same Torque Signal codes.....P1571 and P1689?

coia96vette 05-20-2013 10:31 PM

No other codes that were current. I'm in the process of moving right now and my corvette folder is at the new house. These damn divorces sure suck. Female mid life crises sure can take a toll on ya. But the SWPS was a common failure on the 03 and 04 model years. I had a friend of mine replace it for me. He has been a corvette mechanic for many years. Do a search here on the forum and it will give the step by step instructions. Just got to be careful with the airbag.

Bill Curlee 05-21-2013 01:00 AM

If it were me,, I would change the SWPS and clear the DTCs and go from there.

When the SWPS fails, it can cause other codes to pop up.

You have to remove the steering column and the sensor is down near the base of the column. It really isn't all that difficult.

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you remove the steering wheel,,, make SURE that the wheels are STRAIGHT and you DO NOT rotate the steering wheel from the position that it was removed. If you do, you can break the clock spring for the air bag!!!!! Install the sensor in the position that the steering wheel was removed. Reinstall the column with the steering wheel in the same clock position as it was removed and the wheels pointing in the same direction STRAIGHT ahead,

BC

Bill

ourblk96 05-21-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee (Post 1583952458)
If it were me,, I would change the SWPS and clear the DTCs and go from there.

When the SWPS fails, it can cause other codes to pop up.

You have to remove the steering column and the sensor is down near the base of the column. It really isn't all that difficult.

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you remove the steering wheel,,, make SURE that the wheels are STRAIGHT and you DO NOT rotate the steering wheel from the position that it was removed. If you do, you can break the clock spring for the air bag!!!!! Install the sensor in the position that the steering wheel was removed. Reinstall the column with the steering wheel in the same clock position as it was removed and the wheels pointing in the same direction STRAIGHT ahead,

BC

Bill

Thanks, Bill....do you know if I unplug the ABS will I be able to drive the car without fear of the steering position sensor acting up the way it did so violently?

Bill Curlee 05-21-2013 06:09 PM

Don,, I would just pull the Two fuses for the EBTCM. With both the main module fuses removed, theres NO way it can intervene

Just have to remember that you will no longer have the AH and antilock brakes. Your power steering will also be stiffer.

ourblk96 05-21-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee (Post 1583958002)
Don,, I would just pull the Two fuses for the EBTCM. With both the main module fuses removed, theres NO way it can intervene

Just have to remember that you will no longer have the AH and antilock brakes. Your power steering will also be stiffer.

Bill..thanks for the advice. I'll do that until I can get the alignment done and sensor replaced.

BigGun 05-21-2013 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee (Post 1583958002)

Why can't you just switch traction control and active handling off using the button on the console?