CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Does Your warranty get Voided w/ header install.. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3271331-does-your-warranty-get-voided-w-header-install.html)

PRicanC6Xpress 05-14-2013 04:53 PM

Does Your warranty get Voided w/ header install..

Does your GM warranty get voided if you install headers.....??????

MakoShark72 05-14-2013 04:58 PM

Uh, I'm kinda thinkin' YES....esp if you get a tune.

michaelinmech 05-14-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by FiremanC6 (Post 1583899915)
It depends on the service manager and the dealership. GM can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused a problem. Most dealers won't worry about the headers, but the engine tune (to take advantage of the headers) will definitely cause a warranty issue.

:iagree: X2

FiremanC7 05-14-2013 05:14 PM

It depends on the service manager and the dealership. GM can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused a problem. Most dealers won't worry about the headers, but the engine tune (to take advantage of the headers) will definitely cause a warranty issue.

Old Boot 05-14-2013 05:16 PM

what if you get GM to install the headers and send it out for the tune??

Thomasmoto 05-14-2013 05:18 PM

Yep.

saplumr 05-14-2013 05:20 PM

4-5 years ago no...in todays' time they will more than likely void your drivetrain warranty.

John Harry 05-14-2013 05:33 PM

GM can only deny warranty coverage if they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused a problem.

Unfortunately, in the real world they can deny warranty coverage and make you fight them to get it. You may end up trying to prove your mods didn't cause a problem, which could be tough.

AORoads 05-14-2013 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Old Boot (Post 1583900191)

if you get the dealer to install headers and the tune gets done elsewhere, when there is a warranty item needing attention, do you then go to the person/co. who did the tune? if not, then the dealer can check for a tune which may (stress: may) lead the dealer to deny a warranty claim the first time, and every time thereafter for something related to the tune.

they can also put a warranty block on the particular car/vin for part, or all of the powertrain. that then is visible to any GM dealer since it follows the car, not the ownership. which can also mean a subsequent owner, thinking that they have an existing warranty, may not have one at all because of a prior owner's actions.

cmonkey713 05-14-2013 06:14 PM

:iagree: I know of a C-6 with a Paxton supercharger, headers, tune etc. It was in the dealership for a window issue, no problem with warranty. It may have been different if it had been an engine or other drivetrain issue.

calemasters 05-14-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1583900288)
if you get the dealer to install headers and the tune gets done elsewhere, when there is a warranty item needing attention, do you then go to the person/co. who did the tune? if not, then the dealer can check for a tune which may (stress: may) lead the dealer to deny a warranty claim the first time, and every time thereafter for something related to the tune.

they can also put a warranty block on the particular car/vin for part, or all of the powertrain. that then is visible to any GM dealer since it follows the car, not the ownership. which can also mean a subsequent owner, thinking that they have an existing warranty, may not have one at all because of a prior owner's actions.

Correct. Dealers are asked not to modify a vehicle with non GM parts, but dealers are independent business people so they do what they do.

Non OEM exhaust headers generally change the location of the catalytic converters, so this is also an emission warranty issue. Especially is states such as California.

haljensen 05-14-2013 06:43 PM

Powertrain Warranty is NOT up to the Dealer.

The Dealer has to get GM Corporate OK for GM to pay for any major engine repairs. Aftermarket parts can Void the Powertrain warranty, aftermarket parts + a tune will Void the Powretrain Warranty.

SRQStingray 05-14-2013 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by cmonkey713 (Post 1583900307)
:iagree: I know of a C-6 with a Paxton supercharger, headers, tune etc. It was in the dealership for a window issue, no problem with warranty. It may have been different if it had been an engine or other drivetrain issue.

Engine mods don't affect the windows:crazy2:

wolfdogs 05-14-2013 06:57 PM

if the aftermarket part installed can be linked to the problem that occurs, then that particular problem is not covered by warranty... that applies to the whole vehicle. ie: say you install a new stereo unit and the speakers blow.. if that unit can be linked to the speakers blowing then no warranty... or you add an additional oil filter by pass unit.. and you spin a rod bearing.. if that unit can be linked then you are out an engine... and etc.

calemasters 05-14-2013 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by haljensen (Post 1583900489)
Powertrain Warranty is NOT up to the Dealer.

The Dealer has to get GM Corporate OK for GM to pay for any major engine repairs. Aftermarket parts can Void the Powertrain warranty, aftermarket parts + a tune will Void the Powretrain Warranty.

Most dealers are now exempt from having to call the PQC (Powertrain Quality Center) for authorization to replace engine, transmission, or transfer case assemblies. Most dealers can self authorize powertrain assembly replacement. Once the dealer authorizes the claim, the claim is normally credited to the dealer overnight. A few dealers, who did not meet the requirements for PQC exemption, still have to get PQC authorization.

calemasters 05-14-2013 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by SRQVelocityyellow (Post 1583900556)
Engine mods don't affect the windows:crazy2:

I have a friend running 725 h.p. and slicks on his 1969 Firebird. He launches so hard, he has cracked his windshield. :rofl:

No kidding.

red2012 05-14-2013 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Old Boot (Post 1583900191)

I just took my new GS in for service yesterday ( to the dealership )and they asked me if I would like to install a edelbrock supercharger. I said you guys do that? He said yea we do them all the time. I said yea and blow my brand new warranty. He said not at all as long as we do it, full factory warranty still in effect. Now I don't know if thats true but he also told me $11k to do the install!

saplumr 05-14-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583901200)
I just took my new GS in for service yesterday ( to the dealership )and they asked me if I would like to install a edelbrock supercharger. I said you guys do that? He said yea we do them all the time. I said yea and blow my brand new warranty. He said not at all as long as we do it, full factory warranty still in effect. Now I don't know if thats true but he also told me $11k to do the install!

If the dealer gives it to you in writing it's all good!

Jefe's GS 05-14-2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583901200)

Twice the price and at best there will be a very limited dealer network you'll be able to use for warranty. Likely you will be limited to just them for warranty work. But if you have to have it and you want the warranty then it may be the ticket.

Also, as long as you leave it stock you can take it to the track and still get warranty service. That's not a bad compromise. Especially when these cars are still stupid fast bone stock.:yesnod:

MakoShark72 05-14-2013 10:18 PM

If YOUR local dealer agrees, what happens when you are away from home, and have a problem? There's no guarantee another dealer will honor YOUR dealer's warranty??

Aren't they all pretty much independent entities?