CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] More Z06 Woes.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3271048-more-z06-woes.html)

Dirty Howie 05-19-2013 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583934649)
Thanks guys :rock: .. Clutch is in great shape I was told so not going to replace :cheers: Trans guy is going through every part of the tranny Tuesday should have the car back end of the week unless parts are not in stock

Ha! New it! Great for you Frank :thumbs:

:cheers:
DH

ClarksZ06 05-19-2013 08:49 AM

Congrats Frank. I was hoping u wouldn't get rid of your freshly fixed Z !

FrankTank 05-31-2013 03:44 PM

Update: Well after going through the Trans more in depth of course yes the Synchros are bad, and I was told several other components (forks) as well as the culprit that started the whole thing, the Rear output bearing

Unfortunately now GM has said they are only willing to cover half the repair in parts and labor.. my options are

Option 1- a brand new GM stock Trans

Option 2- they will cover half the labor and cost of RPM Level IV Tranny.

Option 3- rebuild current trans

Option 4 - FK this car I am selling it!

So option 2 is probably the best route to go... I am still hesitant though and a little gun shy about keeping the car.. can you really blame me? What's to say in 2 months I am not back here posting that my clutch hydros are out,,,, or my ABS Module took a dump... or the spider Gears in the rear end are gone...boom another 3 grand..:ack:

I am normally not a sky is falling type guy, but am skeptical after being burned. I am more upset that the car is not reliable in that the Trans failed.. then I am GM not covering it under good will :crazy:

Thank you guys again you have been a huge support. I will make a final decision this weekend.

Dirty Howie 05-31-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584039540)
Update: Well after going through the Trans more in depth of course yes the Synchros are bad, and I was told several other components (forks) as well as the culprit that started the whole thing, the Rear output bearing

Unfortunately now GM has said they are only willing to cover half the repair in parts and labor.. my options are

So option 2 is probably the best route to go... I am still hesitant though and a little gun shy about keeping the car.. can you really blame me? What's to say in 2 months I am not back here posting that my clutch hydros are out,,,, or my ABS Module took a dump... or the spider Gears in the rear end are gone...boom another 3 grand..:ack:

I am normally not a sky is falling type guy, but am skeptical after being burned. I am more upset that the car is not reliable in that the Trans failed.. then I am GM not covering it under good will :crazy:

Thank you guys again you have been a huge support. I will make a final decision this weekend.

Frank

I would go with Option #2. I had an RPM built tranny in my C5 automatic that help up great with heavy track use !!!! :thumbs:

Good luck :thumbs:

DH

RedZ4me 05-31-2013 04:02 PM

option 1 or 2 but I read option 1 as no cost to you. ??

SSMOKE 05-31-2013 04:19 PM

I hate to spend money that I don't have. ESPECIALLY, if I am spending money to get back to the original set up. It is a little bit easier (for me) to spend money if there is an upgrade included.

I bought an RPM trans for my Supercharged TBSS after going through two trans. (Stock and then stock rebuilt.) I would go for option 2! :cheers: I think that it is safe to say, we all feel your pain.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-31-2013 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584039540)

1, 2 or 3, are all acceptable.

If cost is an issue, then I'd go with the least expensive of the options you list, which would probably be 3....which really is option 1. A "brand new" transmission is possibly to have been "rebuilt" anyway.

If cost is not a concern to you, then I'd go with 2, which is probably going to be the more costly of the three options you list.

FrankTank 05-31-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1584039650)
Frank

I would go with Option #2. I had an RPM built tranny in my C5 automatic that help up great with heavy track use !!!! :thumbs:

Good luck :thumbs:

DH

yea I had the Level IV MN6 in my C5 and it was flawless, rock solid. I actually drove from Chicago to Indy back then and waited at RPM shop while they installed a Cartek clutch and the trans, and then drove home that same night :D

Originally Posted by RedZ4me (Post 1584039713)
option 1 or 2 but I read option 1 as no cost to you. ??

I should have been a bit more clear :thumbs: all options (except 4 of course) GM is splitting cost with me.

Originally Posted by SSMOKE (Post 1584039837)
I hate to spend money that I don't have. ESPECIALLY, if I am spending money to get back to the original set up. It is a little bit easier (for me) to spend money if there is an upgrade included.

I bought an RPM trans for my Supercharged TBSS after going through two trans. (Stock and then stock rebuilt.) I would go for option 2! :cheers: I think that it is safe to say, we all feel your pain.

:rock: thanks you guys like I said have been a big support

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1584039864)
1, 2 or 3, are all acceptable.

If cost is an issue, then I'd go with the least expensive of the options you list, which would probably be 3....which really is option 1. A "brand new" transmission is possibly to have been "rebuilt" anyway.

If cost is not a concern to you, then I'd go with 2, which is probably going to be the more costly of the three options you list.

Ricky, actually I had thought that too, however I guess due to the labor of rebuilding the trans itself, then installing it and that having labor with it... The RPM deal works out a bit cheaper since the trans comes all set to throw in the car. A new stock GM trans replacement actually comes out more expensive than the Level IV RPM deal. Looks like a Level IV T56 on RPM website is about 2300 bucks :cheers:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-31-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584039948)
yea I had the Level IV MN6 in my C5 and it was flawless, rock solid. I actually drove from Chicago to Indy back then and waited at RPM shop while they installed a Cartek clutch and the trans, and then drove home that same night :D

I should have been a bit more clear :thumbs: all options (except 4 of course) GM is splitting cost with me.

:rock: thanks you guys like I said have been a big support

Ricky, actually I had thought that too, however I guess due to the labor of rebuilding the trans itself, then installing it and that having labor with it... The RPM deal works out a bit cheaper since the trans comes all set to throw in the car. A new stock GM trans replacement actually comes out more expensive than the Level IV RPM deal. Looks like a Level IV T56 on RPM website is about 2300 bucks :cheers:

Oh, well in that case, I'd go that route instead. :thumbs::cheers:

Good luck Frank.

JwT 05-31-2013 05:01 PM

Holy Gadzooks Batman.......That's what I said to do in the first place. How does the torque tube look Frank? Don't just throw the old one back in until the bushings are looked at. :thumbs:

FrankTank 05-31-2013 09:39 PM

The original deal was GM was going to pick up 95% of the tab and rebuild the broken part of my trans , now since they are only gonna cover half it makes more since to go the rpm route . This will be my last corvette . I'm not upset GM is not covering me out of warranty ..I'm upset because its not reliable ,, what's next my rear end ? Clutch ? Abs ? Everytime I drive the car I'm wondering what's breaking next

Gary '09 C6 05-31-2013 10:14 PM

^ a tough state-of-mind to be in with a car...suspect many of us have been there at some time in the past
with a particular vehicle...not an easy decision, especially with high-performance cars.

ParisTNDude 05-31-2013 10:43 PM

Now, I don't personally know the OP (victim), but I'm wondering how hard the car has been driven with all of the problems he's having. I'm on my 5th Vette and have had very few problems with any of them. I hope everything works out for him, though. I hate to see anyone disappointed in my favorite car model. Good luck.

JT Metal 05-31-2013 10:52 PM

Don't know if tank is original owner. Could have been driven "no mercy style" by another owner. Its so important to do all the research one can when buying a previously owned vehicle.

No issues with either of my vettes. Just a bad fob. Warranty.

Mr. Gizmo 05-31-2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583897335)
I am a little scared to do so honestly above 2500.

What kind of noise does it make when you run it through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear to 7k rpm in each gear? Do that 5 or 10 times in a row. if it does not break there is not a problem. if something breaks then you have found the problem.

Originally Posted by JT Metal (Post 1584042672)

Bad Fob might justify a lemon buyback.

FrankTank 06-01-2013 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6 (Post 1584042366)
^ a tough state-of-mind to be in with a car...suspect many of us have been there at some time in the past
with a particular vehicle...not an easy decision, especially with high-performance cars.

Exactly , pretty much sums it up

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude (Post 1584042618)
Now, I don't personally know the OP (victim), but I'm wondering how hard the car has been driven with all of the problems he's having. I'm on my 5th Vette and have had very few problems with any of them. I hope everything works out for him, though. I hate to see anyone disappointed in my favorite car model. Good luck.

I'm the 2nd owner , I bought it with 13k miles on it in 2010 , it now has 27k on it . I've never tracked it . I don't baby the car , but I'm not hitting the rev limiter every chance either . The is the 2nd T56 Trans I've had fail in the 2vettes I've owned . .. Trans is garbage in these cars. :ack:

The car has a conservative tune and put down 474rwhp. I know guys with 100 more hp than me who are on stock Trans with no issues

Originally Posted by JT Metal (Post 1584042672)
Don't know if tank is original owner. Could have been driven "no mercy style" by another owner. Its so important to do all the research one can when buying a previously owned vehicle.

It's hard to say you never know how 1st owner treated the car ...he was much older guy ...but judging the over all condition I doubt it was abused , but again no way to confirm . I think if it were abused I would have had more problems but the. Car has been flawless until now

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1584042775)
What kind of noise does it make when you run it through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear to 7k rpm in each gear? Do that 5 or 10 times in a row. if it does not break there is not a problem. if something breaks then you have found the problem.

Bad Fob might justify a lemon buyback.

It's the rear output shaft bearing on the Trans , it was making a whining sound . Synchros are bad also :crazy:

ipmtim 06-01-2013 01:14 PM

Tough break Tank.
This is what we get when the bean counters get to buy the parts that go into them. :ack:
Tim

ParisTNDude 06-01-2013 03:58 PM

Sorry you're having the troubles, regardless of what caused the problems.

FrankTank 06-01-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ipmtim (Post 1584046024)
Tough break Tank.
This is what we get when the bean counters get to buy the parts that go into them. :ack:
Tim

Exactly , at least Kevin went to bat for me and they are covering part of it

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude (Post 1584047069)
Sorry you're having the troubles, regardless of what caused the problems.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-01-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584047084)
Exactly , at least Kevin went to bat for me and they are covering part of it

It could have been worse Frank.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-knocking.html