CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] More Z06 Woes.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3271048-more-z06-woes.html)

JJC5 05-17-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583926388)
Since GM is stepping up , I will most likely keep the car now. While the Trans is open of course will address the reverse issue .

Now the other question ...do I replace the clutch :willy: even assuming its fine now ... I'm paranoid . I mean everything is already apart . I'd go with a ZR1 Clutch most likely :willy:

If it were me, I would for sure. And put in a bleeder too. :thumbs:

FrankTank 05-17-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1583926431)
Ah, Yes, you do.:D

The answer to that is an emphatic yes, and the clutch choice is a good one too. Katech LS9X is a very good clutch, and I am very happy with mine.

Since everything is already down anyway, and you are getting "free" labor, may as well put the clutch in it.........if you are planning on keeping it, and it seems like now you are. Good move.

Damn it :D. There goes another grand or so .. I just think might as well ..with the way my luck is should play it smart

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-17-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1583926434)
If it were me, I would for sure. And put in a bleeder too. :thumbs:

Definitely a remote bleeder.

His choice on the LS9X, the car drives exactly like stock with that but you have enough room to grow if he should decide at some point during his ownership to add a cam to the mix.

z0sicktanner 05-17-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583926476)
Damn it :D. There goes another grand or so .. I just think might as well ..with the way my luck is should play it smart

If your gonna do a clutch now is the time:D glad gm stepped up for ya Frank good luck

spinkick 05-17-2013 07:06 PM

Since GM is stepping up , I will most likely keep the car now. While the Trans is open of course will address the reverse issue .

Now the other question ...do I replace the clutch :willy: even assuming its fine now ... I'm paranoid . I mean everything is already apart . I'd go with a ZR1 Clutch most likely :willy:

build up the clutch/trans while you are in there and finish your mods with a cam and call it done?

Gary '09 C6 05-17-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner (Post 1583926552)
If your gonna do a clutch now is the time:D glad gm stepped up for ya Frank good luck

:iagree:...everything will already be apart, and GM is paying for the labor.

Glad you car is getting properly fixed. :thumbs:

Mopar Jimmy 05-17-2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Svre46 (Post 1583925567)
Frank that is good news. Hopefully reverse can be resolved too. :cheers:

:iagree:

GREAT NEWS Tank, truely GREAT NEWS my friend! :cool: :thumbs:

And the BEST news is that it looks you now you will be keeping your beloved C6 Z! :cheers:

OK, I'm going to play Devils advocate here on the clutch. Since your shelling A LOT of $ into your baby right now that you did not intend on doing so (starting with the replacement of the intake valves also), the stock LS7clutch is PLENTY stout for your needs. Kevin will be able to tell how worn it is and it should have a lot of life left on it with only 30K STREET driven miles on the car, and without any plans for putting stickies on it and hitting the drag strip with any regularity. If it's not broke, don't fix it, especially when money is tight, and depending how much wear is on the stock clutch l would leave it be (unless its showing and significant signs of wear, then its a different story). There are plenty of guys here with 80,000 to 100,000+ miles on their stock LS7 clutch and still going strong.

Just my two cents bro, since your NOT planning to put in a cam and your power levels don't require and upgrade, nor do your driving habits require any clutch stronger than the LS7 clutch. Now if the clutch looks beat up and Kevin says it will have to be replaced within the next 25,000 miles or so then by all means but in a new ZR1 clutch.

Good luck man, decisions, decisions. :crazy:

Oh yeah, meant to mention if you step up to a ZR1 clutch then you MUST put in that Torquer 110 Cam! :D

Dirty Howie 05-18-2013 02:41 AM

Frank

I predict when they inspect your clutch it will show little wear. I was going to do the same when my first motor blew at 87K. I was going to buy a new stock clutch from the dealer but they said it was totally unnecessary. I now have 128K miles with over 60 track days and clutch seems fine :thumbs:

:cheers:
DH

FrankTank 05-18-2013 10:33 AM

Heading up to the shop in a bit and will see what mechanic says :rock: if its in really good shape , I may not , we'll see ... Decisions decisions :willy:

FrankTank 05-18-2013 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1583928803)
:iagree:

GREAT NEWS Tank, truely GREAT NEWS my friend! :cool: :thumbs:

And the BEST news is that it looks you now you will be keeping your beloved C6 Z! :cheers:

Oh yeah, meant to mention if you step up to a ZR1 clutch then you MUST put in that Torquer 110 Cam! :D

A cam ... What is this cam speak .. By George you've gone mad :rofl:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-18-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583930835)
A cam ... What is this cam speak .. By George you've gone mad :rofl:

Yeah Frank, if money is tight right now, then forego the new clutch.

New clutch is a luxury, and would be a great addition and nice to have, but when you get down to it, not a necessity

Mopar Jimmy 05-18-2013 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1583929463)
Frank

I predict when they inspect your clutch it will show little wear. I was going to do the same when my first motor blew at 87K. I was going to buy a new stock clutch from the dealer but they said it was totally unnecessary. I now have 128K miles with over 60 track days and clutch seems fine :thumbs:

:cheers:
DH

Now this is what I'm talking about these LS7 clutches are very stout. :thumbs:

Howie, that is amazing with all your track miles that your stock oem clutch is still going strong with 128,000 hard and tracked miles on it, and showed little wear at 87,000 miles on it. That is an incredible testament to how good the LS7 clutch is in stock form. :cheers:

propain 05-18-2013 06:06 PM

Clutch is a waste of money if you're not going with a cam in my opinion.

I'm glad everything worked out for your Frank. Get it fixed. Don't spend another dime. Enjoy your car. You have earned it.

harrydirty 05-18-2013 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1583931057)
Howie, that is amazing with all your track miles that your stock oem clutch is still going strong with 128,000 hard and tracked miles on it, and showed little wear at 87,000 miles on it. That is an incredible testament to how good the LS7 clutch is in stock form. :cheers:

I think it's also a testament to the skill of the driver.......I find that good drivers tend to take care of their equipment. :thumbs:

FrankTank 05-18-2013 09:20 PM

Thanks guys :rock: .. Clutch is in great shape I was told so not going to replace :cheers: Trans guy is going through every part of the tranny Tuesday should have the car back end of the week unless parts are not in stock

RedZ4me 05-18-2013 09:43 PM

good news, keep it, you'll enjoy it once it's back to 100%

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-18-2013 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583934649)
Thanks guys :rock: .. Clutch is in great shape I was told so not going to replace :cheers: Trans guy is going through every part of the tranny Tuesday should have the car back end of the week unless parts are not in stock

Alright Frank. :thumbs::cheers:

JJC5 05-18-2013 10:32 PM

Sounds great Frank.
I just broke the news to my wife that I feel the need to do the heads. My GMPP runs out this December so I probably think it's smart to wait until then, but it's getting done for sure and I'm thinking stock too; no cam.

Mopar Jimmy 05-18-2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583934649)

:yesnod: :thumbs: :cool: :cheers:

johnnyvettes 05-19-2013 12:05 AM

Tank glad it's working out for you . leave it alone keep it stock you don't need a cam . wish I never touched my car . money not well spent , we are very lucky to know Kevin he has been there for so many of us .