CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] More Z06 Woes.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3271048-more-z06-woes.html)

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 04:00 PM

I've seen Mazda speed 3s fail bone stock and heard about them failing bone stock from locals. That's one I can remember off the top of my head. Others I'm sure you can Google to find.

propain 05-16-2013 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583917037)
I've seen Mazda speed 3s fail bone stock and heard about them failing bone stock from locals. That's one I can remember off the top of my head. Others I'm sure you can Google to find.

Either way, its a manufacturer problem not a "cars fail" problem.

Good luck Frank.

Jawnathin 05-16-2013 04:20 PM

There was talk about their rods being a little weak and have snapped when at full boost during low RPM, but I've yet to have an issue with mine. It has been pretty reliable and far less of a money pit than the Z06 has been. There has been issues with owners doing mods but not upgrading the fuel system, causing an engine failure, but that is an owner error.

While I would have preferred not to deal with this on my Z06, Drew has a point. Not every car is perfect may have a weak point somewhere in their design. It is unfortunate, but there are lots of good cars that have some issue. The Z06 isn't the only one that has to deal with it, but at least we have a fix. We can hope that the manufacturer fixes it, otherwise, its up to the owners to foot the bill or sell it and buy something else.

Another good example are 911 Turbos, GT2s, and GT3s, which are known to have coolant hoses pop off and dump all of its coolant. Results can be extremely catastrophic.

These cars are in the 150k range and can get close to $250k.
You may be aware of coolant pipe issues on GT1-block equipped models (GT3, GT2, Turbo), where coolant pipes come apart while driving and the rapid loss of engine coolant can cause spins/crashes at race tracks when slippery coolant sprays all over the rear tires.

The problem exists on the GT1 motor because there are a couple coolant pipes in these motors that are not a single cast piece: the larger cast pieces have extruded inlet/outlet tubes that are connected using an adhesive. There is no metal-to-metal friction or press-fit to keep these tubes in place, so after enough heat cycles the adhesive will soften/loosen up and the tube will come out of the cast block (with the hose still attached), resulting in a rapid loss of engine coolant.

Regardless of how the vehicle is driven, it seems this problem may eventually effect all 996/997 Turbo, GT2 and GT3 models including the 2010+ GT3 and GT3RS.

If you are interested in having us repair the car at our facility, the price to remove and re-install the engine with this repair is approximately $2800 USD.

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html

FrankTank 05-16-2013 04:26 PM

Drew, I can understand where you are coming from to a degree, and I would also agree.. every manufacturer of course has cars break and QC problems etc... Ford and Dodge have their cars that have issues too...

the thing that is driving me now (no pun) away from GM and the Z06 is the fact that

okay so I addressed the potential problem with the heads, turned it around into a positive, modded and gained some power... moved on, it happens

but now, to have the Tranny fail on the same car with no track time and under 30k miles, to me I draw the line.. those are 2 major components with this car

I forgave GM for the head debacle, fixed it and moved on. I can't be as forgiving with the car this time around having the Tranny fail.

and of course I'll be honest, the timing of everything does have an impact on my decision

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 04:35 PM

I'd be mad too that you had bad luck with the car, but personally I just see that as a risk of owning a performance car. It sucks that you have an issue with the trans I hope it's a cheaper fix than what your expecting and you can enjoy the car after.

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583917230)
Drew, I can understand where you are coming from to a degree, and I would also agree.. every manufacturer of course has cars break and QC problems etc... Ford and Dodge have their cars that have issues too...

the thing that is driving me now (no pun) away from GM and the Z06 is the fact that

okay so I addressed the potential problem with the heads, turned it around into a positive, modded and gained some power... moved on, it happens

but now, to have the Tranny fail on the same car with no track time and under 30k miles, to me I draw the line.. those are 2 major components with this car

I forgave GM for the head debacle, fixed it and moved on. I can't be as forgiving with the car this time around having the Tranny fail.

and of course I'll be honest, the timing of everything does have an impact on my decision

propain 05-16-2013 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583917292)
I'd be mad too that you had bad luck with the car, but personally I just see that as a risk of owning a performance car. It sucks that you have an issue with the trans I hope it's a cheaper fix than what your expecting and you can enjoy the car after.

This excuse doesn't quite sit as well with me as I own many performance cars without any kinds of issues like this.

I would also agree more if the performance car was being used for its performance like at the track and events like you and I both attend. When being used as a DD I feel for the guy who just finished addressing the "one issue" with the Z06 and a few weeks later has a bad tranny on a car with less than 30K.

Performance car should mean better built. Not fall apart quicker.

But Ive always been a firm believer of pay to play. The problem comes in when people aren't playing yet they still have to pay.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 04:40 PM

I heard from people that the cars have had failures with people just cruising around, I can't remember what they said the weak link was it was like 4yrs ago that I heard about it lol.

My aunt had a similar problem on her cayenne turbo s but luckily it was under warranty. And that's a 100+k suv

Originally Posted by Jawnathin (Post 1583917190)
There was talk about their rods being a little weak and have snapped when at full boost during low RPM, but I've yet to have an issue with mine. It has been pretty reliable and far less of a money pit than the Z06 has been. There has been issues with owners doing mods but not upgrading the fuel system, causing an engine failure, but that is an owner error.

While I would have preferred not to deal with this on my Z06, Drew has a point. Not every car is perfect may have a weak point somewhere in their design. It is unfortunate, but there are lots of good cars that have some issue. The Z06 isn't the only one that has to deal with it, but at least we have a fix. We can hope that the manufacturer fixes it, otherwise, its up to the owners to foot the bill or sell it and buy something else.

Another good example are 911 Turbos, GT2s, and GT3s, which are known to have coolant hoses pop off and dump all of its coolant. Results can be extremely catastrophic.

These cars are in the 150k range and can get close to $250k.
You may be aware of coolant pipe issues on GT1-block equipped models (GT3, GT2, Turbo), where coolant pipes come apart while driving and the rapid loss of engine coolant can cause spins/crashes at race tracks when slippery coolant sprays all over the rear tires.

The problem exists on the GT1 motor because there are a couple coolant pipes in these motors that are not a single cast piece: the larger cast pieces have extruded inlet/outlet tubes that are connected using an adhesive. There is no metal-to-metal friction or press-fit to keep these tubes in place, so after enough heat cycles the adhesive will soften/loosen up and the tube will come out of the cast block (with the hose still attached), resulting in a rapid loss of engine coolant.

Regardless of how the vehicle is driven, it seems this problem may eventually effect all 996/997 Turbo, GT2 and GT3 models including the 2010+ GT3 and GT3RS.

If you are interested in having us repair the car at our facility, the price to remove and re-install the engine with this repair is approximately $2800 USD.

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...urbo-cars.html

FrankTank 05-16-2013 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583917292)

Thanks man, me too :thumbs:

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1583917326)
This excuse doesn't quite sit as well with me as I own many performance cars without any kinds of issues like this.

I would also agree more if the performance car was being used for its performance like at the track and events like you and I both attend. When being used as a DD I feel for the guy who just finished addressing the "one issue" with the Z06 and a few weeks later has a bad tranny on a car with less than 30K.

Performance car should mean better built. Not fall apart quicker.

But Ive always been a firm believer of pay to play. The problem comes in when people aren't playing yet they still have to pay.

This is really what has me disappointed and scratching my head...car is not making big power, not tracked (I had actually planned to start tracking it since I fixed the heads) sure the occasional blast on the street or something but thats it.

Oh well... I'll have to see what happens and go from there. It's ashame because there is so much I do love about the car, looks, power etc. light weight.

propain 05-16-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583917378)
Thanks man, me too :thumbs:

This is really what has me disappointed and scratching my head...car is not making big power, not tracked (I had actually planned to start tracking it since I fixed the heads) sure the occasional blast on the street or something but thats it.

Oh well... I'll have to see what happens and go from there. It's ashame because there is so much I do love about the car, looks, power etc. light weight.

My opinion Frank is that you should fix it and keep it. Sorry you have to and honestly its completely unacceptable that you did but your almost there. What give someone else your hard earned money after fixing it. :thumbs:

FrankTank 05-16-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by propain (Post 1583917399)
My opinion Frank is that you should fix it and keep it. Sorry you have to and honestly its completely unacceptable that you did but your almost there. What give someone else your hard earned money after fixing it. :thumbs:

I may have a change of heart and keep it who knows, and believe me...the less emotional part of the brain is telling me the same thing you are....why spend the money and put a brand new trans in the car (or freshly rebuilt one) and then sell it :crazy:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-16-2013 05:04 PM

:iagree:

Tough break, your tranny going at a time like this, or really any time.

But you've come this far, seems a shame to fix it, sell it, and let someone else reap the benefits of your efforts.

Mopar Jimmy 05-16-2013 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583917412)
I may have a change of heart and keep it who knows, and believe me...the less emotional part of the brain is telling me the same thing you are....why spend the money and put a brand new trans in the car (or freshly rebuilt one) and then sell it :crazy:

Now your talking Tank. I know how much you LOVE your Z and when she is all fixed up again I am confident you will keep your baby for many more years to come! :cheers:

z0sicktanner 05-16-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583917412)

if you need help on a trans rebuild hit me up.:thumbs:

Maligator 05-16-2013 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner (Post 1583919109)

:cheers:

Mopar Jimmy 05-16-2013 10:17 PM

I don't care what anyone else says Chad, your ok in my book, Tin hat and all. :) You know I'm just busting your stones man, all in good fun! :cheers:

ck9887 05-16-2013 10:40 PM

Didn't read all 5 pages but any verdict on the problem?

z0sicktanner 05-16-2013 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1583919747)
I don't care what anyone else says Chad, your ok in my book, Tin hat and all. :) You know I'm just busting your stones man, all in good fun! - : )

thanks Jimmy it's all good man:thumbs:

427Z0SX 05-17-2013 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by CFLZ (Post 1583905659)
It's all in the engineering. You can see it in the head design down to the windows that will not index properly. I think you would be well served to sell the car and get something with a little better build quality. I was in the same situation a few months ago with my Z and got the car out of my life.

Please elaborate on the underlined above. I've taken out the battery many times, and the windows have always indexed like they should. Sorry to hear about OP's misfortunes, good luck to you!:cheers:

JwT 05-17-2013 09:04 AM

:iagree: I can honestly say that of the vettes I've owned none have ever been trouble free. When the costs have done enough to kill the great feeling I had driving the car I sold it and vowed never to own another. The last one was back in 82. It's been that long since I finally picked up my 07. Guess what? I had to pay out the yeng yang to get it fixed. I think the Z06 can be a pain in the wallet until you get all the bugs fixed. I also think the only way I would get rid of the car is to buy a newer Z or ZR1. I don't race, track or abuse the car at all. Yet the car makes me feel better than any other I've driven. Keep the car Tank....

FrankTank 05-17-2013 09:04 AM

Thanks Chad, much appreciated I will keep you guys posted. :cheers:

Originally Posted by ck9887 (Post 1583919925)
Didn't read all 5 pages but any verdict on the problem?

My mechanic is pretty sure it's the Trans, or something in the driveshaft/driveline..He drove the car a few times, but has not started taking things a part yet but will soon.