CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] More Z06 Woes.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3271048-more-z06-woes.html)

FrankTank 05-16-2013 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by bladex10 (Post 1583909734)
A Z06 isn't a supercar. ZR1 maybe but not Z06. Its still a mass produced Chevy at the end of the day that Chevy doesnt seem to want anything to do with anymore. Its sad to see because they are awesome cars, They are just unreliable as hell. I've seen more z06 engine failure threads in the last year than i care to count. Its no Honda but it shouldnt be in the shop getting the motor torn apart for a flawed head design as soon as you buy one and you sure as hell shouldnt worry about a valve dropping using the car what it was intended for.

My buddy went through this same issue with his Z06, He got so sick of fixing back to back issues, he just fixed it and sold it as fast as he could. He now owns a whipped 2011 Mustang GT that has not given him a single problem in the almost 2 years he owned it.

What defines a Supercar is just really subjective to what each person defines a supercar as. IMO it's any car that is high performance that is over six figures in cost, so most exotics ...so while a Z06 may not cost 350,000 bucks, it certainly does at least compete on the same levels, and in many cases, beats cars that cost 3 X as much.

back on topic, mechanic drove the car yesterday a few times, he says it's definitely the Trans , or possibly in the drive shaft somewhere but he did not have a chance to tear into it yet to see more.

ghoust 05-16-2013 10:10 AM

It saddens me to read this over and over on this board. I have owned sports cars for over 15 years and never have I seen such issues. This will be the first and last Government Motors vehicle that I will own.

FrankTank 05-16-2013 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by JwT (Post 1583910169)
Anyone who thinks the Z06 is not a supercar doesn't know the car.
With just a few mods this car will clip 200 mph. Most expensive supercars don't go much faster and cost thousands more. Just try paying for those parts and you'll love a Z.

Frank I wasn't aware that you were running a T56. I was lucky when I picked up my Z. The dealers vette mech lived just 7 miles from my house and he works on the side cheaper. When my T56 went south the mechanic told me that the second and fourth gear have always been very weak in these units. I had two choices from RPM transmission. Buy a 6060 or have my T56 rebuilt to handle 700 hp, which is what I did. It set me back about $2800.00 but I also picked up a torque tube and a scoggin dickey clutch so the cost was much more.

This may be the case Frank, but the cost isn't a killer to fix.

Yea I bought a Level IV T56 from RPM years back for my C5, actually drove from IL to Indy to Rodney shop and they did a clutch and install in one day and I drove home that night. Good guys to work with

Looks like the Level IV T56 for the Z (pre 08 cars) is about 2300 bucks. If this were not happening on the heals of my completing mods, I might not be as aggravated , but the timing could not be worse, and that has what has bittered me to the point of wanting to just dump the car..that and like I posted above this is the second T56 on 2 vettes that has failed. :ack:

Mark2009 05-16-2013 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583913773)
[...] mechanic drove the car yesterday a few times, he says it's definitely the Trans , or possibly in the drive shaft somewhere but he did not have a chance to tear into it yet to see more.

:(

Perhaps the trans can be rebuilt cheaper than being replaced; I guess it will depend upon the condition after teardown/inspection.

I once replaced one, and only one, clutch pack in an automatic trans (my '79 C3, probably a TH400) . . . funds were tight at the time, and it solved the problem http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...in_notooth.gif

ByByBMW 05-16-2013 11:34 AM

As an ex Z06 owner, I sold mine partly because of the valve issues, my sympathies to you FrankTank. The only recommendation I have for you is try to bring down the emotions and THEN make your decision. And trust me, I know how hard it is to take the emotions down a notch. My Z was the most awesome, powerful car I will ever own. But Chevrolet has let a lot of folks down, including me. It's one of the reasons I am not on the buying a C7 first thing train.

FrankTank 05-16-2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mark200X (Post 1583914385)
:(

Perhaps the trans can be rebuilt cheaper than being replaced; I guess it will depend upon the condition after teardown/inspection.

I once replaced one, and only one, clutch pack in an automatic trans (my '79 C3, probably a TH400) . . . funds were tight at the time, and it solved the problem http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...in_notooth.gif

That is definitely an option I will explore if it can be rebuilt :thumbs:

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 1583914885)
As an ex Z06 owner, I sold mine partly because of the valve issues, my sympathies to you FrankTank. The only recommendation I have for you is try to bring down the emotions and THEN make your decision. And trust me, I know how hard it is to take the emotions down a notch. My Z was the most awesome, powerful car I will ever own. But Chevrolet has let a lot of folks down, including me. It's one of the reasons I am not on the buying a C7 first thing train.

Thanks Man. No doubt some of these posts and my thread have quite a bit of emotion , that is why in some ways its good this is not going to be resolved in a day or 2...by the time I need to make a decision I will have cooled off even more and make a more informed less emotional decision.

Actually this morning, I've pretty much decided it is what it is...sht happens , the initial real anger and pizzed off feeling is gone, now its just more I am disappointed in the whole deal.. adding to the frustration is even the fact that I had to buy all new intake valves when I had WCCH do the heads,,so even something simple like that, I got shafted and was way over budget.

Its the sum of everything added up that's made me pretty much say..(pending the outcome) it's time to pick up and move on to another car. The whole reason I did not do a CAM or blower, or even Nitrous for big power is this right here...I did not want to have to start building the trans or buy a clutch and start modding the entire power-train...well now regardless the trans took a dump anyway LOL

ipmtim 05-16-2013 01:52 PM

Tank,
Sucks to hear.:ack:
Kevin figure anything out yet?
Tim
:cheers:

FrankTank 05-16-2013 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ipmtim (Post 1583915999)
Tank,
Sucks to hear.:ack:
Kevin figure anything out yet?
Tim
:cheers:

Yea he drove the car twice yesterday and has pretty much confirmed it is something in the Trans, or the driveshaft .. :ack: He's going to get more into it I hope in the next few days, but he's having the open house Saturday for the shop so he's pretty busy with that.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghoust (Post 1583914122)
It saddens me to read this over and over on this board. I have owned sports cars for over 15 years and never have I seen such issues. This will be the first and last Government Motors vehicle that I will own.

What car has never had issues?? This isn't a GM thing, it's a car thing stuff breaks on every car

propain 05-16-2013 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916139)
What car has never had issues?? This isn't a GM thing, it's a car thing stuff breaks on every car

Yes all cars break. Catastrophic failure however is a different story.

I have a C63 AMG. Actually I had one.. sold it and traded for another one because its such a good car. Both cars tuned and tracked pretty hard. Not one problem.

People I know with the same car have pushed it to its limits both NA and FI. Some have 1000HP. Not a single engine failure since 2008. The only thing that I have seen go is the rear diff. Mostly because it doesn't come with an LSD. Now once you get above 600WHP the trannys cant hold up and need to be strengthened. But lets keep the argument stock vs stock then. Not 1 single failure on the forums. Head bolts are the biggest issue right now.

Every GM car I have ever owned has had problems. Its most certainly a GM thing. Will I still buy them? Sure, they have a rawness you cant get from other cars. Will I tolerate catastrophic failure at 25K miles? No.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 02:55 PM

The main issue with the Z06 has a fix out there, do the fix or sell the car simple as that. And it's not that expensive to do

bladex10 05-16-2013 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916477)
The main issue with the Z06 has a fix out there, do the fix or sell the car simple as that. And it's not that expensive to do

The issue here is that you shouldnt have to rip apart the motor of a new car for it be reliable. Theres alot of Z06 owners who dont know this "fix" or issue and they are out driving their car around that could let go at any given time and cause thousands in damage. GM should have recalled this issue LONG ago but they just ignored the issue and swept it under the rug.

propain 05-16-2013 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916477)

Its not the cost of the issue its the issue and having to fix the issue on a 75K car. This is not a "all cars break" issue. That is the point.

You feel this is acceptable? You set your expectations way to low my friend.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 03:28 PM

I have accepted it GM isn't going to do anything about it so I had to. People are so quick to bitch and complain these days but refuse to act

ghoust 05-16-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bladex10 (Post 1583916642)
The issue here is that you shouldnt have to rip apart the motor of a new car for it be reliable. Theres alot of Z06 owners who dont know this "fix" or issue and they are out driving their car around that could let go at any given time and cause thousands in damage. GM should have recalled this issue LONG ago but they just ignored the issue and swept it under the rug.

That's my point exactly. Its not a matter of the money to fix the issue out there. My guess is that since the LS7 Z06 owners had to pay a substantial amount of money to buy our dream cars, we certainly have the means to fix the issue. I will be doing so as well since I am deciding to keep my z06 for a while longer. But at the back of my head, I will always be thinking that I paid X amount of dollars to fix a flaw that GM should have fixed thereby thinking that GM robbed me of my money.

propain 05-16-2013 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916762)
I have accepted it GM isn't going to do anything about it so I had to. People are so quick to bitch and complain these days but refuse to act

Again, none of this helps your argument of "cars break"

Your above statement confirms this is indeed a GM issue. Good for you fixing it, most people don't feel they should have to rip apart a car with 25K miles on to fix an issue they shouldn't have to fix.

Sure, anyone out of warranty that sits around and pouts and complains about the issue but doesn't sell the car or do the fix really need to ask themselves who is to blame when it goes boom.

LS9Drew 05-16-2013 03:36 PM

Yes your right GM is the only manufacture to ever make a car that has issues.....idk why I need to argue about what I said its a fact almost every car out no matter the manufacture has their own issues

JJC5 05-16-2013 03:39 PM

I agree with you Propain but if GM had admitted ANY sort of liability or negligence, there would be law suits all over the place and beyond the LS7. That would have set a precedent that would never end.

propain 05-16-2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW (Post 1583916818)
Yes your right GM is the only manufacture to ever make a car that has issues.....idk why I need to argue about what I said its a fact almost every car out no matter the manufacture has their own issues

What you said was "This isn't a GM thing, it's a car thing" and that couldn't be more wrong in the case of the Z06 and the exhaust valves. Now in Franks tranny case you might be a bit more right but what horrible quality since his car was stock up until recently and doesn't have many miles on it.

Sure other cars have issues. This is the only car I own that has an issue on a stock motor that if left unchecked will result in catastrophic engine failure. Do you know of any others that have this issue?

propain 05-16-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1583916848)
I agree with you Propain but if GM had admitted ANY sort of liability or negligence, there would be law suits all over the place and beyond the LS7. That would have set a precedent that would never end.

Thats for sure. The closest we got was in the sticky above. If it made it to a TSB many would sue GM for damages, and rightfully so.