CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] More Z06 Woes.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3271048-more-z06-woes.html)

FrankTank 05-17-2013 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by JwT (Post 1583921986)
:iagree: I can honestly say that of the vettes I've owned none have ever been trouble free. When the costs have done enough to kill the great feeling I had driving the car I sold it and vowed never to own another. The last one was back in 82. It's been that long since I finally picked up my 07. Guess what? I had to pay out the yeng yang to get it fixed. I think the Z06 can be a pain in the wallet until you get all the bugs fixed. I also think the only way I would get rid of the car is to buy a newer Z or ZR1. I don't race, track or abuse the car at all. Yet the car makes me feel better than any other I've driven. Keep the car Tank....

and that my friend, your post, is the struggle. Right now I am kinda glad the car is not sitting in my garage, and at the shop instead (although I will see it tomorrow as the shop is having its summer open house I always go to), I want to throw a brick through the windshield and give it a good kick swift with steel toe boots :lol:

I was looking at other cars online yesterday, GT500, Boss 302, Challenger SRT 392 , Viper etc... I really like the SRT, but the wifey already has a challenger, and other than the Viper, the Z06 just has that great look to it... and I would agree with you, its a blast to drive...but the hit to the wallet sucks a lot of that out. :crazy:

propain 05-17-2013 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583922026)
and that my friend, your post, is the struggle. Right now I am kinda glad the car is not sitting in my garage, and at the shop instead (although I will see it tomorrow as the shop is having its summer open house I always go to), I want to throw a brick through the windshield and give it a good kick swift with steel toe boots :lol:

I was looking at other cars online yesterday, GT500, Boss 302, Challenger SRT 392 , Viper etc... I really like the SRT, but the wifey already has a challenger, and other than the Viper, the Z06 just has that great look to it... and I would agree with you, its a blast to drive...but the hit to the wallet sucks a lot of that out. :crazy:

I convince myself to sell my Z06.... and then I come home and see it parked in the garage and its done. Sure is a sexy beast. :thumbs:

Chonger 05-17-2013 10:54 AM

Man I understand your frustration. I have an 07Z w/29K miles and so far the car has been flawless (knock on wood). It was my plan to keep this car for a very long time. I constantly monitor her for excessive engine noise, oil consumption, smoke at start up, and check the plugs at every oil change due to paranoia after reading all of the blown motor threads. It kinda sucks because in the back of my mind I always wonder if something is going to go wrong. Z owners should not have to go through this.

I had an 03 Cobra with a ported blower and all of the other modifications. I had the car for over 6 years and beat the crap out of it every chance I had and it was flawless. I had an LS1 Firebird before the Cobra and it was also flawless reliability wise.

Good luck. A new GT500 or used Viper would be an awesome choice.

LFZ 05-17-2013 12:19 PM

I understand your frustration Frank...its easy to just trade her in and move onto something else, but you have IMO, one of the most special cars ever made. Sometimes, things come at you all at one time. Get through them, give the car a chance, and you won't look back. You've invested a lot of time, money, and attention to your Z. A Z06 is unlike any vette...its controversial, special, and is one of the most recognized supercars amongst today's list. I wouldn't want any other vette, especially no mustang, viper, or whatever boring to replace it.

Turbooo2u 05-17-2013 02:42 PM

It's difficult to "love" your car when it always has some kind of problem. And as enthusiasts, this is an important part of Corvette ownership. For people looking to get out of their Z but want another Vette, a hot setup is a 12' or 13' GS with a 6-sp and the MSRC option. This gets you the GS2 Goodyear tires. It's a great handling car. And if you have an older Z, you'll get the better steering rack with the new GS.:cheers:

FrankTank 05-17-2013 02:49 PM

.....this just in:

Got a VM from the mechanic, he says they've narrowed it down to what they believe is rear bearings on the output shaft :crazy: They have gotten GM to do a goodwill repair to cover most of the cost, I may have to pony up a couple hundred bucks for a deductible, which I can live with.

Now the other issue, I was having going into Reverse, I am going to be at the dealer tomorrow to speak more, they did not run into that when driving the car, but obviously if we are going into the gear box now would be the time to address

So I guess I don't need to jump off the cliff just yet :D

JJC5 05-17-2013 03:03 PM

Great news Frank and kudos to GM for the goodwill gesture. Well deserved in your case for sure. Now you keep that puppy and enjoy the hell out of it! :cheers:

Mark2009 05-17-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583924846)
.....this just in:

Got a VM from the mechanic, he says they've narrowed it down to what they believe is rear bearings on the output shaft :crazy: They have gotten GM to do a goodwill repair to cover most of the cost, I may have to pony up a couple hundred bucks for a deductible, which I can live with.

Now the other issue, I was having going into Reverse, I am going to be at the dealer tomorrow to speak more, they did not run into that when driving the car, but obviously if we are going into the gear box now would be the time to address

IIRC, there was an early issue with grit precipitating out of the housing (a casting error). You would essentially get 'sandy' transmission fluid. Of course this tended to eat up everything. Have you previously done a fluid change and did the old fluid look okay?

JJC5 05-17-2013 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u (Post 1583924787)
It's difficult to "love" your car when it always has some kind of problem. And as enthusiasts, this is an important part of Corvette ownership. For people looking to get out of their Z but want another Vette, a hot setup is a 12' or 13' GS with a 6-sp and the MSRC option. This gets you the GS2 Goodyear tires. It's a great handling car. And if you have an older Z, you'll get the better steering rack with the new GS.:cheers:

Trade the Z for a GS? NOT! The Grand Sport is a great car but I just don't think Frank would be happy with that choice after owning a Z06. :thumbs:

FrankTank 05-17-2013 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1583924971)
Great news Frank and kudos to GM for the goodwill gesture. Well deserved in your case for sure. Now you keep that puppy and enjoy the hell out of it! :cheers:

Thanks, I might just get out of this mess yet :D

Originally Posted by Mark200X (Post 1583924978)
IIRC, there was an early issue with grit precipitating out of the housing (a casting error). You would essentially get 'sandy' transmission fluid. Of course this tended to eat up everything. Have you previously done a fluid change and did the old fluid look okay?

Fluids were checked when I had the mods done few weeks ago, I had them go over everything , rear diff fluid, clutch fluid etc... brake fluid.. no dirty fluid :thumbs:

93Polo 05-17-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583917412)
I may have a change of heart and keep it who knows, and believe me...the less emotional part of the brain is telling me the same thing you are....why spend the money and put a brand new trans in the car (or freshly rebuilt one) and then sell it :crazy:

Sounds like you have my luck on the C5, I chased an oil leak, clutch problems, blew up a diff, rebuilt a torque tube..... I sold it to a friend who hasn't had a problem with the car :willy::lol:

GMuffley 05-17-2013 03:28 PM

.....this just in:

Nice that the dealer is trying to work with you.

Svre46 05-17-2013 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 93Polo (Post 1583925132)
Sounds like you have my luck on the C5, I chased an oil leak, clutch problems, blew up a diff, rebuilt a torque tube..... I sold it to a friend who hasn't had a problem with the car :willy::lol:

Dumped it on a friend...some friend :rofl:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-17-2013 04:17 PM

Glad to hear the good news, Frank. :thumbs::cheers:

Svre46 05-17-2013 04:23 PM

.....this just in:

Frank that is good news. Hopefully reverse can be resolved too. :cheers:

93Polo 05-17-2013 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Svre46 (Post 1583925402)
Dumped it on a friend...some friend :rofl:

He knew what was done to the car and the history. :lol:

Truthfully, I think the torque tube caused majority of the driveline issues. I don't think the diff was bolted to the trans to torque spec when 3.73s were done, and thus the blown diff.

I switched shops and did much more work on my own cars after those experiences. The fun learning curve of modding cars :willy:

I could build the car again for a fraction of what I spent on that one. :lol: College Roommate more less did using what we learned on my car. :lol:

spinkick 05-17-2013 04:48 PM

Fix it and keep it, you've already done all the work why let someone else enjoy it because you are frustrated? Its like selling stock after its dropped instead of waiting for it to come back again.

FrankTank 05-17-2013 06:10 PM

Since GM is stepping up , I will most likely keep the car now. While the Trans is open of course will address the reverse issue .

Now the other question ...do I replace the clutch :willy: even assuming its fine now ... I'm paranoid . I mean everything is already apart . I'd go with a ZR1 Clutch most likely :willy:

FrankTank 05-17-2013 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1583925518)
Glad to hear the good news, Frank. :thumbs::cheers:

:rock:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-17-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583926388)
Since GM is stepping up , I will most likely keep the car now. While the Trans is open of course will address the reverse issue .

Now the other question ...do I replace the clutch :willy: even assuming its fine now ... I'm paranoid . I mean everything is already apart . I'd go with a ZR1 Clutch most likely :willy:

Ah, Yes, you do.:D

The answer to that is an emphatic yes, and the clutch choice is a good one too. Katech LS9X is a very good clutch, and I am very happy with mine.

Since everything is already down anyway, and you are getting "free" labor, may as well put the clutch in it.........if you are planning on keeping it, and it seems like now you are. Good move.

JJC5 05-17-2013 06:16 PM

If it were me, I would for sure. And put in a bleeder too. :thumbs:

FrankTank 05-17-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1583926431)
Ah, Yes, you do.:D

The answer to that is an emphatic yes, and the clutch choice is a good one too. Katech LS9X is a very good clutch, and I am very happy with mine.

Since everything is already down anyway, and you are getting "free" labor, may as well put the clutch in it.........if you are planning on keeping it, and it seems like now you are. Good move.

Damn it :D. There goes another grand or so .. I just think might as well ..with the way my luck is should play it smart

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-17-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1583926434)
If it were me, I would for sure. And put in a bleeder too. :thumbs:

Definitely a remote bleeder.

His choice on the LS9X, the car drives exactly like stock with that but you have enough room to grow if he should decide at some point during his ownership to add a cam to the mix.

z0sicktanner 05-17-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583926476)
Damn it :D. There goes another grand or so .. I just think might as well ..with the way my luck is should play it smart

If your gonna do a clutch now is the time:D glad gm stepped up for ya Frank good luck

spinkick 05-17-2013 07:06 PM

build up the clutch/trans while you are in there and finish your mods with a cam and call it done?

Gary '09 C6 05-17-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner (Post 1583926552)
If your gonna do a clutch now is the time:D glad gm stepped up for ya Frank good luck

:iagree:...everything will already be apart, and GM is paying for the labor.

Glad you car is getting properly fixed. :thumbs:

Mopar Jimmy 05-17-2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Svre46 (Post 1583925567)
Frank that is good news. Hopefully reverse can be resolved too. :cheers:

:iagree:

GREAT NEWS Tank, truely GREAT NEWS my friend! :cool: :thumbs:

And the BEST news is that it looks you now you will be keeping your beloved C6 Z! :cheers:

OK, I'm going to play Devils advocate here on the clutch. Since your shelling A LOT of $ into your baby right now that you did not intend on doing so (starting with the replacement of the intake valves also), the stock LS7clutch is PLENTY stout for your needs. Kevin will be able to tell how worn it is and it should have a lot of life left on it with only 30K STREET driven miles on the car, and without any plans for putting stickies on it and hitting the drag strip with any regularity. If it's not broke, don't fix it, especially when money is tight, and depending how much wear is on the stock clutch l would leave it be (unless its showing and significant signs of wear, then its a different story). There are plenty of guys here with 80,000 to 100,000+ miles on their stock LS7 clutch and still going strong.

Just my two cents bro, since your NOT planning to put in a cam and your power levels don't require and upgrade, nor do your driving habits require any clutch stronger than the LS7 clutch. Now if the clutch looks beat up and Kevin says it will have to be replaced within the next 25,000 miles or so then by all means but in a new ZR1 clutch.

Good luck man, decisions, decisions. :crazy:

Oh yeah, meant to mention if you step up to a ZR1 clutch then you MUST put in that Torquer 110 Cam! :D

Dirty Howie 05-18-2013 02:41 AM

Frank

I predict when they inspect your clutch it will show little wear. I was going to do the same when my first motor blew at 87K. I was going to buy a new stock clutch from the dealer but they said it was totally unnecessary. I now have 128K miles with over 60 track days and clutch seems fine :thumbs:

:cheers:
DH

FrankTank 05-18-2013 10:33 AM

Heading up to the shop in a bit and will see what mechanic says :rock: if its in really good shape , I may not , we'll see ... Decisions decisions :willy:

FrankTank 05-18-2013 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1583928803)
:iagree:

GREAT NEWS Tank, truely GREAT NEWS my friend! :cool: :thumbs:

And the BEST news is that it looks you now you will be keeping your beloved C6 Z! :cheers:

Oh yeah, meant to mention if you step up to a ZR1 clutch then you MUST put in that Torquer 110 Cam! :D

A cam ... What is this cam speak .. By George you've gone mad :rofl:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-18-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583930835)
A cam ... What is this cam speak .. By George you've gone mad :rofl:

Yeah Frank, if money is tight right now, then forego the new clutch.

New clutch is a luxury, and would be a great addition and nice to have, but when you get down to it, not a necessity

Mopar Jimmy 05-18-2013 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1583929463)
Frank

I predict when they inspect your clutch it will show little wear. I was going to do the same when my first motor blew at 87K. I was going to buy a new stock clutch from the dealer but they said it was totally unnecessary. I now have 128K miles with over 60 track days and clutch seems fine :thumbs:

DH

Now this is what I'm talking about these LS7 clutches are very stout. :thumbs:

Howie, that is amazing with all your track miles that your stock oem clutch is still going strong with 128,000 hard and tracked miles on it, and showed little wear at 87,000 miles on it. That is an incredible testament to how good the LS7 clutch is in stock form. :cheers:

propain 05-18-2013 06:06 PM

Clutch is a waste of money if you're not going with a cam in my opinion.

I'm glad everything worked out for your Frank. Get it fixed. Don't spend another dime. Enjoy your car. You have earned it.

harrydirty 05-18-2013 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1583931057)
Howie, that is amazing with all your track miles that your stock oem clutch is still going strong with 128,000 hard and tracked miles on it, and showed little wear at 87,000 miles on it. That is an incredible testament to how good the LS7 clutch is in stock form. :cheers:

I think it's also a testament to the skill of the driver.......I find that good drivers tend to take care of their equipment. :thumbs:

FrankTank 05-18-2013 09:20 PM

Thanks guys :rock: .. Clutch is in great shape I was told so not going to replace :cheers: Trans guy is going through every part of the tranny Tuesday should have the car back end of the week unless parts are not in stock

RedZ4me 05-18-2013 09:43 PM

good news, keep it, you'll enjoy it once it's back to 100%

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-18-2013 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583934649)
Thanks guys :rock: .. Clutch is in great shape I was told so not going to replace :cheers: Trans guy is going through every part of the tranny Tuesday should have the car back end of the week unless parts are not in stock

Alright Frank. :thumbs::cheers:

JJC5 05-18-2013 10:32 PM

Sounds great Frank.
I just broke the news to my wife that I feel the need to do the heads. My GMPP runs out this December so I probably think it's smart to wait until then, but it's getting done for sure and I'm thinking stock too; no cam.

Mopar Jimmy 05-18-2013 11:08 PM

:yesnod: :thumbs: :cool: :cheers:

johnnyvettes 05-19-2013 12:05 AM

Tank glad it's working out for you . leave it alone keep it stock you don't need a cam . wish I never touched my car . money not well spent , we are very lucky to know Kevin he has been there for so many of us .

Dirty Howie 05-19-2013 02:20 AM

Ha! New it! Great for you Frank :thumbs:

DH

ClarksZ06 05-19-2013 08:49 AM

Congrats Frank. I was hoping u wouldn't get rid of your freshly fixed Z !

FrankTank 05-31-2013 03:44 PM

Update: Well after going through the Trans more in depth of course yes the Synchros are bad, and I was told several other components (forks) as well as the culprit that started the whole thing, the Rear output bearing

Unfortunately now GM has said they are only willing to cover half the repair in parts and labor.. my options are

Option 1- a brand new GM stock Trans

Option 2- they will cover half the labor and cost of RPM Level IV Tranny.

Option 3- rebuild current trans

Option 4 - FK this car I am selling it!

So option 2 is probably the best route to go... I am still hesitant though and a little gun shy about keeping the car.. can you really blame me? What's to say in 2 months I am not back here posting that my clutch hydros are out,,,, or my ABS Module took a dump... or the spider Gears in the rear end are gone...boom another 3 grand..:ack:

I am normally not a sky is falling type guy, but am skeptical after being burned. I am more upset that the car is not reliable in that the Trans failed.. then I am GM not covering it under good will :crazy:

Thank you guys again you have been a huge support. I will make a final decision this weekend.

Dirty Howie 05-31-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584039540)
Update: Well after going through the Trans more in depth of course yes the Synchros are bad, and I was told several other components (forks) as well as the culprit that started the whole thing, the Rear output bearing

Unfortunately now GM has said they are only willing to cover half the repair in parts and labor.. my options are

So option 2 is probably the best route to go... I am still hesitant though and a little gun shy about keeping the car.. can you really blame me? What's to say in 2 months I am not back here posting that my clutch hydros are out,,,, or my ABS Module took a dump... or the spider Gears in the rear end are gone...boom another 3 grand..:ack:

I am normally not a sky is falling type guy, but am skeptical after being burned. I am more upset that the car is not reliable in that the Trans failed.. then I am GM not covering it under good will :crazy:

Thank you guys again you have been a huge support. I will make a final decision this weekend.

Frank

I would go with Option #2. I had an RPM built tranny in my C5 automatic that help up great with heavy track use !!!! :thumbs:

Good luck :thumbs:

DH

RedZ4me 05-31-2013 04:02 PM

option 1 or 2 but I read option 1 as no cost to you. ??

SSMOKE 05-31-2013 04:19 PM

I hate to spend money that I don't have. ESPECIALLY, if I am spending money to get back to the original set up. It is a little bit easier (for me) to spend money if there is an upgrade included.

I bought an RPM trans for my Supercharged TBSS after going through two trans. (Stock and then stock rebuilt.) I would go for option 2! :cheers: I think that it is safe to say, we all feel your pain.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-31-2013 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584039540)

1, 2 or 3, are all acceptable.

If cost is an issue, then I'd go with the least expensive of the options you list, which would probably be 3....which really is option 1. A "brand new" transmission is possibly to have been "rebuilt" anyway.

If cost is not a concern to you, then I'd go with 2, which is probably going to be the more costly of the three options you list.

FrankTank 05-31-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1584039650)
Frank

I would go with Option #2. I had an RPM built tranny in my C5 automatic that help up great with heavy track use !!!! :thumbs:

Good luck :thumbs:

DH

yea I had the Level IV MN6 in my C5 and it was flawless, rock solid. I actually drove from Chicago to Indy back then and waited at RPM shop while they installed a Cartek clutch and the trans, and then drove home that same night :D

Originally Posted by RedZ4me (Post 1584039713)
option 1 or 2 but I read option 1 as no cost to you. ??

I should have been a bit more clear :thumbs: all options (except 4 of course) GM is splitting cost with me.

Originally Posted by SSMOKE (Post 1584039837)
I hate to spend money that I don't have. ESPECIALLY, if I am spending money to get back to the original set up. It is a little bit easier (for me) to spend money if there is an upgrade included.

I bought an RPM trans for my Supercharged TBSS after going through two trans. (Stock and then stock rebuilt.) I would go for option 2! :cheers: I think that it is safe to say, we all feel your pain.

:rock: thanks you guys like I said have been a big support

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1584039864)
1, 2 or 3, are all acceptable.

If cost is an issue, then I'd go with the least expensive of the options you list, which would probably be 3....which really is option 1. A "brand new" transmission is possibly to have been "rebuilt" anyway.

If cost is not a concern to you, then I'd go with 2, which is probably going to be the more costly of the three options you list.

Ricky, actually I had thought that too, however I guess due to the labor of rebuilding the trans itself, then installing it and that having labor with it... The RPM deal works out a bit cheaper since the trans comes all set to throw in the car. A new stock GM trans replacement actually comes out more expensive than the Level IV RPM deal. Looks like a Level IV T56 on RPM website is about 2300 bucks :cheers:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-31-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584039948)
yea I had the Level IV MN6 in my C5 and it was flawless, rock solid. I actually drove from Chicago to Indy back then and waited at RPM shop while they installed a Cartek clutch and the trans, and then drove home that same night :D

I should have been a bit more clear :thumbs: all options (except 4 of course) GM is splitting cost with me.

:rock: thanks you guys like I said have been a big support

Ricky, actually I had thought that too, however I guess due to the labor of rebuilding the trans itself, then installing it and that having labor with it... The RPM deal works out a bit cheaper since the trans comes all set to throw in the car. A new stock GM trans replacement actually comes out more expensive than the Level IV RPM deal. Looks like a Level IV T56 on RPM website is about 2300 bucks :cheers:

Oh, well in that case, I'd go that route instead. :thumbs::cheers:

Good luck Frank.

JwT 05-31-2013 05:01 PM

Holy Gadzooks Batman.......That's what I said to do in the first place. How does the torque tube look Frank? Don't just throw the old one back in until the bushings are looked at. :thumbs:

FrankTank 05-31-2013 09:39 PM

The original deal was GM was going to pick up 95% of the tab and rebuild the broken part of my trans , now since they are only gonna cover half it makes more since to go the rpm route . This will be my last corvette . I'm not upset GM is not covering me out of warranty ..I'm upset because its not reliable ,, what's next my rear end ? Clutch ? Abs ? Everytime I drive the car I'm wondering what's breaking next

Gary '09 C6 05-31-2013 10:14 PM

^ a tough state-of-mind to be in with a car...suspect many of us have been there at some time in the past
with a particular vehicle...not an easy decision, especially with high-performance cars.

ParisTNDude 05-31-2013 10:43 PM

Now, I don't personally know the OP (victim), but I'm wondering how hard the car has been driven with all of the problems he's having. I'm on my 5th Vette and have had very few problems with any of them. I hope everything works out for him, though. I hate to see anyone disappointed in my favorite car model. Good luck.

JT Metal 05-31-2013 10:52 PM

Don't know if tank is original owner. Could have been driven "no mercy style" by another owner. Its so important to do all the research one can when buying a previously owned vehicle.

No issues with either of my vettes. Just a bad fob. Warranty.

Mr. Gizmo 05-31-2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1583897335)
I am a little scared to do so honestly above 2500.

What kind of noise does it make when you run it through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear to 7k rpm in each gear? Do that 5 or 10 times in a row. if it does not break there is not a problem. if something breaks then you have found the problem.

Originally Posted by JT Metal (Post 1584042672)

Bad Fob might justify a lemon buyback.

FrankTank 06-01-2013 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6 (Post 1584042366)
^ a tough state-of-mind to be in with a car...suspect many of us have been there at some time in the past
with a particular vehicle...not an easy decision, especially with high-performance cars.

Exactly , pretty much sums it up

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude (Post 1584042618)
Now, I don't personally know the OP (victim), but I'm wondering how hard the car has been driven with all of the problems he's having. I'm on my 5th Vette and have had very few problems with any of them. I hope everything works out for him, though. I hate to see anyone disappointed in my favorite car model. Good luck.

I'm the 2nd owner , I bought it with 13k miles on it in 2010 , it now has 27k on it . I've never tracked it . I don't baby the car , but I'm not hitting the rev limiter every chance either . The is the 2nd T56 Trans I've had fail in the 2vettes I've owned . .. Trans is garbage in these cars. :ack:

The car has a conservative tune and put down 474rwhp. I know guys with 100 more hp than me who are on stock Trans with no issues

Originally Posted by JT Metal (Post 1584042672)
Don't know if tank is original owner. Could have been driven "no mercy style" by another owner. Its so important to do all the research one can when buying a previously owned vehicle.

It's hard to say you never know how 1st owner treated the car ...he was much older guy ...but judging the over all condition I doubt it was abused , but again no way to confirm . I think if it were abused I would have had more problems but the. Car has been flawless until now

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1584042775)
What kind of noise does it make when you run it through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear to 7k rpm in each gear? Do that 5 or 10 times in a row. if it does not break there is not a problem. if something breaks then you have found the problem.

Bad Fob might justify a lemon buyback.

It's the rear output shaft bearing on the Trans , it was making a whining sound . Synchros are bad also :crazy:

ipmtim 06-01-2013 01:14 PM

Tough break Tank.
This is what we get when the bean counters get to buy the parts that go into them. :ack:
Tim

ParisTNDude 06-01-2013 03:58 PM

Sorry you're having the troubles, regardless of what caused the problems.

FrankTank 06-01-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ipmtim (Post 1584046024)
Tough break Tank.
This is what we get when the bean counters get to buy the parts that go into them. :ack:
Tim

Exactly , at least Kevin went to bat for me and they are covering part of it

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude (Post 1584047069)
Sorry you're having the troubles, regardless of what caused the problems.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-01-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584047084)
Exactly , at least Kevin went to bat for me and they are covering part of it

It could have been worse Frank.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-knocking.html

FrankTank 06-01-2013 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1584047109)

Yeap I just saw that ... Then you'll see my post in that blown engine thread to the same regard , some have it a lot worse

z51vett 06-02-2013 10:35 AM

First Owner may not have abused it but he may not have been a good stick driver and kept causing wear not pushing clutch in far enough to disengage some people shift and not use the clutch.
z51vett
Doug

JT Metal 06-02-2013 03:30 PM

Ever withness an older guy that shouldn't be jamming gears in a car he shouldnt be driving.......not pretty!

A lot of bad sycros to be sure.......can you say "paddle shift"

FrankTank 06-05-2013 08:30 PM

RPM is 3 weeks behind, not going to have the Trans for the car for at least 3-4 weeks :ack: I might as well put the fckn thing back in storage for the winter again :rofl:

JwT 06-06-2013 07:53 AM

Relax Frank it will happen. There's nothing worse than having your car down and finding out your parts won't be ready for a month. Even worse is the fact that it's the driving season and still the car sits. RPM will make sure that a bad tranny will never stop you from driving again. Do what you can right now to make sure that when the tranny gets there, it goes back together as quickly as possible. You'll still have a lot of time in the car this year.

I would call RPM every ten days or so just to make sure your tranny doesn't fall off the radar. Who knows you may get a break on the time. Think about what you can do right now. Make sure that any other parts you may need are there when the tranny comes home. It would be a pisser to have the tranny show up with you still needing other parts.

MTIRC6Z 06-06-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584047138)
Yeap I just saw that ... Then you'll see my post in that blown engine thread to the same regard , some have it a lot worse

Yep, AND the only reason that car went to the dealer in the first place was because the new owner got spooked by all the forum hype about valve guides, thought the car made a little too much ticking...of course with the new heads it ticked exactly the same amount right up until the rod started knocking.

And Dom has yet to actually get a micrometer on the old heads to see IF they really were worn out. I figure the dealer will never let that happen because they just made $6500 on the head job and now are gunna make another $17,000 on the rest of the engine.

You know the car previously had never had a single issue, leased by a doctor for it's whole life...if the new owner had just driven it from the day he got it he'd a never had a problem! Thank-you Rickie and all the forum 'sky is falling' posters...this story is exactly why I've periodically tried to keep things honest around here when it comes to the valve guide issue but unfortunately I just don't have enough time and energy to keep up with the zealots, too many hot cars to drive and fun to be had to spend a life time plucking on a keyboard.

Cheers, Paul.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-06-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z (Post 1584086699)
Yep, AND the only reason that car went to the dealer in the first place was because the new owner got spooked by all the forum hype about valve guides, thought the car made a little too much ticking...of course with the new heads it ticked exactly the same amount right up until the rod started knocking.

And Dom has yet to actually get a micrometer on the old heads to see IF they really were worn out. I figure the dealer will never let that happen because they just made $6500 on the head job and now are gunna make another $17,000 on the rest of the engine.

You know the car previously had never had a single issue, leased by a doctor for it's whole life...if the new owner had just driven it from the day he got it he'd a never had a problem! Thank-you Rickie and all the forum 'sky is falling' posters...this story is exactly why I've periodically tried to keep things honest around here when it comes to the valve guide issue but unfortunately I just don't have enough time and energy to keep up with the zealots, too many hot cars to drive and fun to be had to spend a life time plucking on a keyboard.

Cheers, Paul.

About the only thing you have tried to do Paul, is maintain the status quo.

You talk about how Dom has never had a micrometer on his heads. Well Frank had no warranty and says that even had his heads been in spec, he still would have done the same thing. So what you are talking about, does not apply to Frank.

Dom's case was no doubt made worse than it should have been, by going to a dealership and spending $2200.00 for basically a new set of stock heads, and ended up with a bad rod bearing around 100 miles after the dealership did the work on the car.

There was concern that the dealership may have been at fault in this, but attorneys have told Dom what some of us already knew. That this would be difficult to prove.

He finally reached an agreement with the dealership.

Now on top of the $2200.00 he has already spent to get a new set of stock heads, which really would not have fixed the issue at all, indeed it didn't, as you say that it still ticked even after he got the new stock heads, he is looking at having to pay another $6000 plus tax(13%) to get a new motor.

So this whole thing is going to cost him around $9K

As someone mentioned in his thread, had he gone another route. Could have bought aftermarket heads like PRCs, gone to a good cylinder head shop professional like Darin Morgan or to WCCH and gotten his heads or a take off set of heads rebuilt, and installed on the car he would be thousands of dollars ahead.

It's hindsight now, but had he followed the advice and lead of many in here, he would first off, never have considered a new set of stock heads as being any sort of a fix, and secondly and more importantly, you take a risk any time you let some of these dealerships touch your car, and never would have let a dealership touch his car for this type of work.

The used car he bought, only had a 30 day warranty.

After the first week, he says that he dropped by the GM dealer for their opinion, they felt the noise was a bit excessive.So after some debating, he had them replace the heads,exh. valves,lifters,springs etc...

The "fix" for his heads ticking, which the dealership noted as well, was split three ways, and he ended up paying $2200.00 as his share.

But in this case, it seems that he would have been better off forgoing a "warranty" repair, and spending that $2200.00 elsewhere if he was looking to have his heads fixed.

The guy describes the car as http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...he-saddle.html
2006 Z,70k km,Doctor leased,(just off) only driven everyday in the summer and at the track on weekends.

A rented, 7 year old car, with 42K miles on it, and admittedly tracked, who knows how well this car was taken care of?

Who knows if it was modded and then taken back to stock prior to the lease turn in?

The buyer only had a 30 day warranty, and was merely trying to protect his investment, a move that many in here would make, and ended up with a bad outcome.

But to try and blame us for this poor guy's misfortune is absurd.

But then I have seen you write even more ridiculous things in the past Paul, so I am hardly surprised.

Cheers.

Ricky

FrankTank 06-06-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by JwT (Post 1584086537)
Relax Frank it will happen. There's nothing worse than having your car down and finding out your parts won't be ready for a month. Even worse is the fact that it's the driving season and still the car sits. RPM will make sure that a bad tranny will never stop you from driving again. Do what you can right now to make sure that when the tranny gets there, it goes back together as quickly as possible. You'll still have a lot of time in the car this year.

I would call RPM every ten days or so just to make sure your tranny doesn't fall off the radar. Who knows you may get a break on the time. Think about what you can do right now. Make sure that any other parts you may need are there when the tranny comes home. It would be a pisser to have the tranny show up with you still needing other parts.

Thanks my friend :thumbs: I really hate to contribute to all the negativity that goes on here lately, but it's hard not to sometimes. I know dozens of guys here that have 100+ more RWHP than me on the stock T56 Trans with 0 issues... it's almost as if the Tranny on these cars holds up better than the motor :lol: except in my case :rofl:

Thanks for the kind words again. The guy at the shop/dealership where my car is , and the mechanic know me pretty well and have been good about staying on top of this whole thing..so we've agreed to check in on a weekly basis..and who knows maybe RPM will catch up and I'll have it a bit sooner than expected. :rock:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-06-2013 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584086994)
Thanks my friend :thumbs: I really hate to contribute to all the negativity that goes on here lately, but it's hard not to sometimes. I know dozens of guys here that have 100+ more RWHP than me on the stock T56 Trans with 0 issues... it's almost as if the Tranny on these cars holds up better than the motor :lol: except in my case :rofl:

Thanks for the kind words again. The guy at the shop/dealership where my car is , and the mechanic know me pretty well and have been good about staying on top of this whole thing..so we've agreed to check in on a weekly basis..and who knows maybe RPM will catch up and I'll have it a bit sooner than expected. :rock:

Good luck Frank. :thumbs::cheers:

FrankTank 06-06-2013 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1584087050)
Good luck Frank. :thumbs::cheers:

Thanks...just trying to roll with the punches :willy:

Dirty Howie 06-06-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584087138)

Your day will come soon and a big smile back on your face once you get behind the wheel :thumbs:

DH

Mark2009 06-06-2013 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1584086906)
[...] Well Frank had no warranty and says that even had his heads been in spec, he still would have done the same thing. [...]

Because of all the hysteria generated here.

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1584086906)
[...] Now on top of the $2200.00 he has already spent to get a new set of stock heads, which really would not have fixed the issue at all [...]

Hysteria exactly like that.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-06-2013 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584087138)

Well, you're doing a good job. :thumbs:

erikszr1 06-06-2013 10:22 PM

I see were back to the sky is falling B.S.? Yea, blown out of proportion right? We must be faking all these bad guides and making up stories........ Mine weren't really bad at 25k miles, I guess I replaced the heads for no reason........See now look what you've done.......LOL. Time to add more to my ignore list...LOL Bye

FrankTank 06-06-2013 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie (Post 1584090946)
Your day will come soon and a big smile back on your face once you get behind the wheel :thumbs:

DH

Thanks Howie :cheers:

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1584091551)
Well, you're doing a good job. :thumbs:

:rock: :thumbs:

Originally Posted by erikszr1 (Post 1584094038)
I see were back to the sky is falling B.S.? Yea, blown out of proportion right? We must be faking all these bad guides and making up stories........ Mine weren't really bad at 25k miles, I guess I replaced the heads for no reason........See now look what you've done.......LOL. Time to add more to my ignore list...LOL Bye

Some how in my ranting thread about my failed Trans, even valve guide discussion found its way in here :lol:

Svre46 06-06-2013 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584094350)
Thanks Howie :cheers:

:rock: :thumbs:

Some how in my ranting thread about my failed Trans, even valve guide discussion found its way in here :lol:

I'm glad you are resolving the issues. Really hope you get her back out soon and can get some enjoyment. Your car will be better than ever when it's done. :cheers:

FrankTank 06-07-2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Svre46 (Post 1584094427)
I'm glad you are resolving the issues. Really hope you get her back out soon and can get some enjoyment. Your car will be better than ever when it's done. :cheers:

Thanks! :rock: :rock: I am hoping to be more positive influence and stop my complaining about this issue. There is so much bickering about the valve stuff it's ruined the forum really.

I wish everyone could just call a truce , let the chips fall where they may. People who have questions should be calling shops or experts they trust for a solution if they are concerned about the heads. End of story.

Svre46 06-07-2013 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1584098089)
Thanks! :rock: :rock: I am hoping to be more positive influence and stop my complaining about this issue. There is so much bickering about the valve stuff it's ruined the forum really.

I wish everyone could just call a truce , let the chips fall where they may. People who have questions should be calling shops or experts they trust for a solution if they are concerned about the heads. End of story.

I agree Frank. To me it's clear. You get them checked, fixed, or do nothing. Whatever makes you sleep. That should be the official guide to cut back on all the threads. Even unrelated threads have valve talk :willy: :beatdeadhorse:

Hope to see the car up and running and possibly in person sometime this summer. You have stayed pretty positive. I know so many guys say it's a "super car"..blah blah blah things break ect...but I'm sure they wouldn't be happy if it was their car. I wouldn't be. I would also be bummed after spending a few grand in preventative repairs or mods just to have the trans take a dump. :cheers:

Silver05GTO 06-07-2013 03:33 PM

Too late for option 4 huh?? Hope this is the end of the problems for your car, I know one thing though......with a car taken apart in pieces a couple different times now....what gives you any kind of faith the problems are over with? After dealing with modding on former vettes, the cars are never the same way and in many cases short cuts taken, things are just never back to factory specs.

I just hope you don't look back and say OMG, if I had just moved on from this car, I would've saved money and a ton aggravation.