CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Just curious; Why the negativity toward the oem GY's (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3269063-just-curious-why-the-negativity-toward-the-oem-gys.html)

red2012 05-10-2013 08:28 PM

Just curious; Why the negativity toward the oem GY's

I'm on my second vette in the last 18 months ( new '12 coupe, new '13 GS ) and I don't seem to find the GY'S all that bad. I took the oem's off the coupe after 17k miles and they still had a good 75% left. When the weather was warm enough in N.Y. for the tires to be useful I thought they did a good job. After all they are a summer performance tire and I would not expect them to perform in anything but that environment. I did put super sports on at the 17k mark but that was to see what all the rage about the Michelin's was about. Although they did grip a little better than the GY's I still would have no problem with the GY's. Now today was around 80 degrees in N.Y. and it was really the first warm day since I got the '13 GS ( I bought it one month ago today from Tommy Jr. ) and I tell ya that thing really grabbed on some spirited driving. I launched the car once today ( my first launch with this car ) and it took off really well with out hardly any wheel hop. So do you guys not like the tire wear the grip or what gripes do you have for the GY's. Inquiring minds want to know.

vettn71 05-10-2013 08:38 PM

I think it's safe to say that 90 to 95% of GS owners don't see close to 17k on their tires. I got 10k and three tires were toast and one that was barely serviceable. In general, they ride rough, wear fast and are noisy. If you're happy with yours, that's great.:cheers:

My experience has not been nearly that positive

Jim

pewter99 05-10-2013 08:42 PM

because they suck in comparison to just about everything else :lol:

BWF07 05-10-2013 08:47 PM

Low mileage ware factor, noisy, hard riding and not good in cold weather and I live in Florida.

RLSebring 05-10-2013 08:54 PM

All the above plus the Michelins were the same and cheaper in comparison. So far I really like the PS ZP's

I've ran 4 or 5 sets of SuperCars and wore them out at around 15,000 miles.

billyboy47 05-10-2013 08:59 PM

i have the a6, coupe, so i gotta ask, what's with this launch thing with the m6? my nephew has it on his 012 ss camaro but never did explain it to me. if your taking off at a fast speed won't that put wear on the rubber? if so, why the hell would you? unless you guy's don't mind keeping gy and michelin in business.:ack:

fastskyline 05-10-2013 09:05 PM

If you had 75% tread left after 17k miles, then they are just fine for your driving style gramps!

SK360 05-10-2013 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1583868782)
i have the a6, coupe, so i gotta ask, what's with this launch thing with the m6? my nephew has it on his 012 ss camaro but never did explain it to me. if your taking off at a fast speed won't that put wear on the rubber? if so, why the hell would you? unless you guy's don't mind keeping gy and michelin in business.:ack:

Because these cars are meant to be driven hard? Waste of a good car taking it to get donuts on Sundays and car shows.

Steve_R 05-10-2013 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1583868627)

Well said.

AORoads 05-10-2013 09:26 PM

I can't speak to GS, but Goodyears, I've had. And, I guess unlike others, I actually see some value in them. They're not the best but they are not awful considering their limited temperature and time of year limitations. Some Michelins and other brands are a bit (or a lot) more wide-band insofar as when you can use them safely, grip, noise, cost, lifespan, etc.

billyboy47 05-10-2013 09:29 PM

when i had my 67 big block i still had respect for the car. why the hell would i drive it hard? that car got my donuts faster than your car, for sure. it's called "pride" when driving a vette, any vette. and i was only 23 when i had the 67, just not rowdy.

billyboy47 05-10-2013 09:31 PM

you hit it on the head dickweed, i am a grandfather.

SK360 05-10-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1583869021)
when i had my 67 big block i still had respect for the car. why the hell would i drive it hard? that car got my donuts faster than your car, for sure. it's called "pride" when driving a vette, any vette. and i was only 23 when i had the 67, just not rowdy.

Sounds like a waste of time then. Why own a badass car if you drive it like an old man? Ill show you my pride with the hammer down.

Might as well be driving a Plymouth prowler.... Then you can look cool and be slow all the time.

raspyc6 05-10-2013 09:35 PM

The OEM GY's were equivalent to the slate granite rollers that Fred Flinstone made famous. Horrible tires and I said as much after 5miles of ownership. I went non-RF with Pilot Super Sports and all this said I know GY can do a better job.

HalfMoon 05-10-2013 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583868509)
I'm on my second vette in the last 18 months ( new '12 coupe, new '13 GS ) and I don't seem to find the GY'S all that bad. I took the oem's off the coupe after 17k miles and they still had a good 75% left. When the weather was warm enough in N.Y. for the tires to be useful I thought they did a good job. After all they are a summer performance tire and I would not expect them to perform in anything but that environment. I did put super sports on at the 17k mark but that was to see what all the rage about the Michelin's was about. Although they did grip a little better than the GY's I still would have no problem with the GY's. Now today was around 80 degrees in N.Y. and it was really the first warm day since I got the '13 GS ( I bought it one month ago today from Tommy Jr. ) and I tell ya that thing really grabbed on some spirited driving. I launched the car once today ( my first launch with this car ) and it took off really well with out hardly any wheel hop. So do you guys not like the tire wear the grip or what gripes do you have for the GY's. Inquiring minds want to know.

There are 2 different OE Goodyear tires, so which do you have? Most people will think they are fine until they get a real tire on the car for some time.

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1583868672)
Low mileage ware factor, noisy, hard riding and not good in cold weather and I live in Florida.

+1 (but in California). At 10k my Gen2's were shot, but at 7k they were slippery and loud.

Originally Posted by raspyc6 (Post 1583869085)
The OEM GY's were equivalent to the slate granite rollers that Fred Flinstone made famous. Horrible tires and I said as much after 5miles of ownership. I went non-RF with Pilot Super Sports and all this said I know GY can do a better job.

I went with these tires too, love them. I've had them on 3 cars now and they perform great in wet, dry, cold or hot.

red2012 05-10-2013 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by fastskyline (Post 1583868838)
If you had 75% tread left after 17k miles, then they are just fine for your driving style gramps!

If your insinuating for me to abuse my car that ain't gonna happen. I'm not gonna be like some 22 year old idiot floor boarding from stop light to stop light and taking every turn 90 mph. But I do drive the car spiritedly when the occasion arises.

FAUEE 05-10-2013 09:53 PM

I've had 4 sets of Goodyear tires on different vehicles, and only one set was worth a ****. The most recent ones were Forteras on my Grand Cherokee, and they were actually decent. The rest of the tires wore out prematurely, broke belts, had **** for traction, and were kidding my a screw that was maybe 4mm in length. Those were all relatively tame passenger car tires. IMO, if a company can't get passenger tires right, I'm not trusting them with sports car tires.

All 3 of our vehicles have Michelin tires, and I couldn't be happier about it.

simplegto 05-10-2013 10:02 PM

Noise! 10k miles they sound like a dump truck. If you could rotate every 5k miles they would be ok but you can't.

red2012 05-10-2013 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by HalfMoon (Post 1583869191)
There are 2 different OE Goodyear tires, so which do you have? Most people will think they are fine until they get a real tire on the car for some time.

I have whatever comes on a '13 GS. Like I said I had the super sports on my '12 coupe after I took off the oem GY's and while they offered some better grip I wouldn't consider them earth shattering performance. As a matter of fact to me they rode hard and for my GF to notice the difference in ride quality ( she mentioned it without me even telling her I changed tires ) something must have been rattling our asses in the seat.

billyboy47 05-10-2013 10:03 PM

well said. i bet fastskyline weaves in and out of traffic on rt.80 because he thinks he's cool. i laugh at people like him. take the car on the track where it's supposed to be if you want to drive it hard. me, i'll cruise around in mine and get the full enjoyment out of mine. signed, gramps

billyboy47 05-10-2013 10:04 PM

duuhhhh

Steve_R 05-10-2013 10:25 PM

I'm also a Grandpa. I just got back from running my Vette in the Big Bend Open Road Race. 120 miles of closed two lane highway at 150+ mph. I have Michelin PS ZP tires and they're awesome. The GY tires were junk. Wife's Shelby GT500 had the same GY's. They were useless by the time the car had 10k miles and she doesn't drive it hard or race it. Those are some of the worst tires ever made IMO, and I've owned a whole lot of cars and tires over many years.

red2012 05-10-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1583869346)
me, i'll cruise around in mine and get the full enjoyment out of mine. signed, gramps

Yo billy you are one funny dude. I like your style because I agree with it. I cruise just like you. You know how many people get along side of me and yell stuff like "lets see some rubber" or c'mon get on that baby. I know what the car can do and I got nothing to prove. It pisses them off even more when you just drive away with a smile from ear to ear.

MKenM 05-10-2013 10:45 PM

Think about this C6's have used GY's. What is the standard tire for the C7, you guessed it!:eek:

michaelinmech 05-10-2013 10:49 PM

:iagree: Put on a blindfold to pick an alternate replacement and you will win . . . . :thumbs:

ParisTNDude 05-10-2013 11:05 PM

I cringe every time I see someone doing burnouts with any car. The cost of these tires is so high that I could never afford ruining a set just to show off. You can do burnouts in almost any car, so it certainly is not a measure of the cars power.

Now, I can drive a road course or drag strip as well as 90% of those on this forum (yes, I'm a grandpa too), but you won't see me doing so with my expensive tires, at least not at the drag strip. I have a set of MT Street ETs for the strip and using up a set of GY tires on a road course would be worth it. The GYs are just fine for my street use.

z51vett 05-10-2013 11:36 PM

I got 14500 out of my goodyears on 2012 z06 they had a few more thousand in them. I switched to mich noise level is okay I just can't seem to tell all that much diff lost part of hearing in Marines. Hope mich for 2400 last longer than 14500 if not it will be bridgstones another brand that everyone talks about being good and cheaper. Gee theirs a lot of use grandfathers on this post wonder how many of the younger set can keep up at a safe legal site just sayin.
z51vett
Doug

HalfMoon 05-10-2013 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583869342)
I have whatever comes on a '13 GS. Like I said I had the super sports on my '12 coupe after I took off the oem GY's and while they offered some better grip I wouldn't consider them earth shattering performance. As a matter of fact to me they rode hard and for my GF to notice the difference in ride quality ( she mentioned it without me even telling her I changed tires ) something must have been rattling our asses in the seat.

Well, my question was which you have, as I said, there are 2 different tires on the Grand Sports by Goodyear. Is your car a manual transmission and do you have F55?

Bill Dearborn 05-11-2013 12:13 AM

The Gen 1 Supercar EMT isn't that bad of a tire. They are sensitive to toe in settings so you need to make sure their isn't too much rear toe in or the outside of the tire will wear quickly. Most Zs and GSs that I have seen with worn rear tires have worn them on the outside. They do ride harder than a non run flat tire but that can be said of any run flat. Where they excel is on the track. A well worn EMT (3/32 or less of tread) will grip like mad in corners when it gets up to temperature. The first 10 track days I put on my Z I used a set of well used EMTs that I purchased with a set of wheels. They worked great and were better than the new NT05s I replaced them with. Currently I have a set of new Michelin PS2 ZPs on the car. They ride a little less stiffly than the EMTs and will probably will have more longevity since they come with more tread depth when new. From a wet standpoint the new Michelins and a set of new EMTs seemed to handle deep water on the highway about equally well and I didn't get any hydroplaning from either set. Of course I was only driving 75 in the rain so they might not be as good at 80 or 85.

Bill

Rathmullan 05-11-2013 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1583868782)

I have an A6 as well but I've tried the launch control at a driving school using the ZR1. It actually preserves rubber. Think of it like an anti-lock braking system only in reverse. Here's one description (btw, really good drivers are able to beat it): "the launch control feature (manual transmission only) automatically modulates engine torque for the best-possible acceleration without excessive wheel spin. When the driver pushes the throttle to the floor, the system holds a predetermined engine speed until the driver releases the clutch. Then, the system modulates engine torque 1,000 times per second to maximize the available traction.. "

Rathmullan 05-11-2013 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by MKenM (Post 1583869729)
Think about this C6's have used GY's. What is the standard tire for the C7, you guessed it!:eek:

Not sure why GM selected GY as the oem tire for the C6 but I do know that, after having been around for a few years, it's not the case that other auto manufacturers are clamoring for either the GY EMTs or Gen 2s. To this day, GY only offers the EMTs in sizes that fit the Corvette base, GS and Z06 while the Gen 2s are only offered in sizes that fit the GS and Z06. Meanwhile, as MKen points out, GM could have continued using the GY EMTs on the C7 but has chosen not to. That says something to me.

Rossi6998 05-11-2013 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by vettn71 (Post 1583868591)
I think it's safe to say that 90 to 95% of GS owners don't see close to 17k on their tires. I got 10k and three tires were toast and one that was barely serviceable. In general, they ride rough, wear fast and are noisy. If you're happy with yours, that's great.:cheers:

My experience has not been nearly that positive

Jim

Completely agree... Ride rough, wear fast, and are noisy!

truckplay 05-11-2013 03:23 AM

you are the exception. for one, I considered the GY tires dangerous. My coupe came with supercars, they lasted 7k and were only acceptable for 2k. I was given a set of GSd2 (I work for GY) and those were even worse, had NO TRACTION at all, I hated them so much I did burn outs until they blew up after I could not find anyone who wanted to take them FOR FREE. I replaced them with Bridgestone RE11 and the level of traction was night and day. I really don't care how long my tires last, I only drive the car about 5-7k a year and I do BEAT on it pretty hard.

Don-Vette 05-11-2013 05:47 AM

IMO the GY are a good tire but they wear out too fast. I'' be going with the Bridgestone RF when it's time,much mo' cheaper.

REDC4CORVETTE 05-11-2013 06:19 AM

Oh come on guys the GY's are great tires, they are run flats so I ran mine flat at 14k and never looked back.Noisey unstable squeel around corners .I got the top of the line radio from gm in my vett and those tires made me think a cop was behind me from time to time.
I have my Michelins and price doesn't bother me but stick your finger nail into the tire and it is soft but I like the slience:thumbs:
Rides great and when I get to the track they win trophys and pay checks for me Michelins all the way:rock:

I think this is what happends to good years if run them to long on your car .
http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/s...urnout-Contest

VatorMan 05-11-2013 06:31 AM

:iagree: Because of the sucky tire wear, the sucky grip, the sucky noise and just the overall suck rating of these expensive suck tires.

Did I mention how much I think GY suck ?

SSWEET 05-11-2013 08:26 AM

Dumped the GY's on my GS at 9000K....3/32's on the back, a little over 4/32's on the front....went with the Bridgestone RFT's....

SK360 05-11-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583869661)
Yo billy you are one funny dude. I like your style because I agree with it. I cruise just like you. You know how many people get along side of me and yell stuff like "lets see some rubber" or c'mon get on that baby. I know what the car can do and I got nothing to prove. It pisses them off even more when you just drive away with a smile from ear to ear.

This is why you don't have a problem with factory rubber :thumbs:

Mac-427 05-11-2013 08:34 AM

if you had 75% tread left after 17k miles, then they are just fine for your driving style gramps!

Remarks like the above are a sure sign of a person lacking in maturity and judgement. Hardly the attitude necessary for driving high performance cars on the street.

red2012 05-11-2013 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by HalfMoon (Post 1583870231)
Well, my question was which you have, as I said, there are 2 different tires on the Grand Sports by Goodyear. Is your car a manual transmission and do you have F55?

Yes manual trans and no F55.

69L79 05-11-2013 10:23 AM

Most of the above posts say it all about those crappy tires. :yesnod: I am surprised that there haven't been multiple lawsuits against GM because of the dangerous aspects of these tires after 5+K miles. I think GM using Michelin on the later Zs and C7 says it all. :yesnod:

red2012 05-11-2013 10:23 AM

The fuuny thing about this forum is that when somebody with major credibility speaks nobody says nothing about his view on the subject. Me on the other hand who has zero cred only post to what i think may or may not be helpful on a subject. Bill Dearborn gives basically a glowing review for the GY's on this thread and not ONE of you guys dare say anything bad or negative about the GY's in his post. Me on the other hand who is a nobody I ask a question and everybody comes out of the woodwork slamming the GY's. Not so when Bill Dearborn speaks on the same topic. A lot of two faced people on this forum. I think half the people chime in on subjects to bad mouth the product just because everybody else does.

boraxman 05-11-2013 10:25 AM

Im sure its been said but they SUCK!

red2012 05-11-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by boraxman (Post 1583872066)
Im sure its been said but they SUCK!

Yes many times over but how come not one person took Bill's quote and slammed it. But i'm sure now that I mentioned it people will slam it just to be spiteful and resentful that I did mention it.

SK360 05-11-2013 10:31 AM

Opinions are like *******s.

I don't have experience with the supercars but I can tell you the GY EMT's are straight trash.

69L79 05-11-2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583872052)
The fuuny thing about this forum is that when somebody with major credibility speaks nobody says nothing about his view on the subject. Me on the other hand who has zero cred only post to what i think may or may not be helpful on a subject. Bill Dearborn gives basically a glowing review for the GY's on this thread and not ONE of you guys dare say anything bad or negative about the GY's in his post. Me on the other hand who is a nobody I ask a question and everybody comes out of the woodwork slamming the GY's. Not so when Bill Dearborn speaks on the same topic. A lot of two faced people on this forum. I think half the people chime in on subjects to bad mouth the product just because everybody else does.

:cry :grouphug: You were the OP. So, you got the responses. :yesnod:

boraxman 05-11-2013 10:34 AM

Havent read all the posts or Bill's thread, just speaking from personal experience...Why..
Bad thread life
Lots of noise
Bad traction

red2012 05-11-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 89L98 (Post 1583872112)
:cry :grouphug: You were the OP. So, you got the responses. :yesnod:

Oh I'm not complaining I knew these would pretty much be the answers but it would have been interesting if Bill Dearborn started this thread instead of me. Ok lets hear some more feedback on the GY's as this was the purpose of the thread to begin with.

vettman96 05-11-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1583868672)

What he said, and I live in Wa. state where it is cooler and wetter:rock::rock:

Dif 05-11-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583872178)
Oh I'm not complaining I knew these would pretty much be the answers but it would have been interesting if Bill Dearborn started this thread instead of me. Ok lets hear some more feedback on the GY's as this was the purpose of the thread to begin with.

:lol: yeah that about sums it up and I would tend to agree with your Original Post and Bill's post ;)
In my experience going by hundreds of posts, the Super Car tires are for a specific application....
Hot weather, Track use, Soft grippy rubber compound with fast wear and suck in low temperatures.
Ride rougher than most tires, noisy and harden quickly.
On the other hand, the OEM GY's GS-2 tires on my 09 Coupe w/ F55 are nothing like that compared to all the bad reports on OEM GY's.

At 14,000 my OEM GY GS-2's looked new, but I replaced them with Michelin A/S ZP tires for cold weather in Spring and Fall.
Yes the GY's lose noticeable grip in colder temps but that's a given ;)
After 2,000 miles with the Mich A/S I can say they ride better and grip great in all temperatures.
But, the ride is only slightly better .. noticeable,. but not by much, and as far noise, they are quiet but no quieter than the OEM GY GS-2 tires.
On a newly paved Highway, the GY's were dead quiet while the Mich are quiet but,have a slight singing sound which I'm sure is from the Tread design.
I can see why the PS2's etc, are quieter with a smoother tread pattern.
IMO, there is definitely better tires out there, but the GY's serve their intended purpose.
They're just not the best choice for the majority.
Of course there are those wanting a tire that grips like glue but then not happy when they wear out too fast.
There are better tires that do grip great with better wear, but it's all relative.
IMO, kind of hard to have extreme grip and long wear in one tire :cheers:

su8pack1 05-11-2013 12:32 PM

They've been fine for me.

corvetteflier 05-11-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by RLSebring (Post 1583868733)
All the above plus the Michelins were the same and cheaper in comparison. So far I really like the PS ZP's

I've ran 4 or 5 sets of SuperCars and wore them out at around 15,000 miles.

My '06 lasted exactly 14,800--which is when I traded it in after buying a new set of Contis. The treadwear is what, 200-220, and they weren't kidding. No complaints about the tires--crappy in cold weather, but all summer ultra high performance tires are. Never in snow, so didn't have that bad ju-ju. The new F1 EMTs have a 300 treadware, so I would expect 20k out of them. A 1/3 improvement in tire life isn't bad. The Contis had a 320, as I recall, but never saw them on the car. The dealer put them on my '06 after I got the '13. Price/performance comes into play. You can get just as good, or better, runflats for less money, and much better non-RFs for much less. But as OEMs, I found them to be decent.

red2012 05-11-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dif (Post 1583872746)
:lol: yeah that about sums it up and I would tend to agree with your Original Post and Bill's post ;)
In my experience going by hundreds of posts, the Super Car tires are for a specific application....

After 2,000 miles with the Mich A/S I can say they ride better and grip great in all temperatures.
But, the ride is only slightly better .. noticeable,. but not by much, and as far noise, they are quiet but no quieter than the OEM GY GS-2 tires.
On a newly paved Highway, the GY's were dead quiet while the Mich are quiet but,have a slight singing sound which I'm sure is from the Tread design.

I pretty much feel exactly as you regarding both tires (GY's and MICHELINS ) And the funny thing is when I put the super sports on my '12 coupe I noticed the same thing you did and I had mentioned this in another thread that I was in, SOMEWHAT NOISY as compared to the oem's. I was driving down a long stretch of highway on a very well paved road and I hear this like swishing air singing sound and I said what the hell is that. The oem GY's were always dead quiet. So in a nutshell the GY's do it for me for my style of driving no problem. I also like the wide stance they portray from their square shoulders where the MICHELIN'S do not. I even went one size up on my '12 coupe to try and keep that fat look but to no avail. Even one size up they still looked skinnier than the oem sized GY's and that bothered me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

REDC4CORVETTE 05-11-2013 01:53 PM

Look at NHRA when top fuel and funny car had to use GY and still do .The amount of cars that were lost to the GY tires were extensive .
Now GY fixed the problem and they don't wreck as often.
If their was another thread about GY no matter who wrote it I would have flamed it also ,not all of us pay attention to all the threads on here all the time.Who remembers the gatorback tires they sucked also :beatdeadhorse:

KX 05-11-2013 02:55 PM

Not sure who this Bill Dearborn is and I did not read his article! However, in my experience, the GY tires are just plain expensive garbage! I do not have one good thing to say about them or run flats in general. Did you note that the Tesla S does not come with run flats or an on board compressor, etc. Smart folks to not put junk on their mighty fine electric car....

3GenVettes 05-11-2013 03:13 PM

Over many year with the Goodyears, I've been very satisfied with them. I don't agree with the complaints about them. I've not had tread wear issues, nor noise issues, nor hard riding issue and on top of that I've also had the Michelin Pilot Sports which were not run-flat and Goodyears which were not run-flats.

I'm perfectly satisfied with Michelins, but I'm also perfectly satisfied with the Goodyears. Clearly, the Goodyears which provide the best all around service and tread life are the those that are standard on the coupe and convertible. The Z51 package or the GS changes the equation, but again I've still been very satisfied with the Goodyears. Currently, I have both brands since my 427 Convertible came with Michelins, and my '09 convertible has Goodyears.

fastskyline 05-11-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mac-427 (Post 1583871408)
if you had 75% tread left after 17k miles, then they are just fine for your driving style gramps!

Remarks like the above are a sure sign of a person lacking in maturity and judgement. Hardly the attitude necessary for driving high performance cars on the street.

Sounds like a few of you took quite a bit of offense from my comment. Must have hit a nerve? Don't get your panties in a wad and play the immaturity card. I've been driving high hp cars "on the street" for about 15 years now. Btw my vette is not the fastest by a long shot so save the advice.

My day job is piloting airliners so let's go ahead and talk about attitude and judgement all day you slowpokes.

SK360 05-11-2013 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by fastskyline (Post 1583874246)
Sounds like a few of you took quite a bit of offense from my comment. Must have hit a nerve? Don't get your panties in a wad and play the immaturity card. I've been driving high hp cars "on the street" for about 15 years now. Btw my vette is not the fastest by a long shot so save the advice.

My day job is piloting airliners so let's go ahead and talk about attitude and judgement all day you slowpokes.

Hope I don't get grumpy and judgemental when I get old like them

Mac-427 05-11-2013 05:32 PM

Goodyear's

Yeah Skyline and I understand how airline pilots always have to have the last word to establish their authority. It's tough to direct a bunch of flight attendants. Keep speedin dude. To each his own.

SSTEVEGS 05-11-2013 06:46 PM

I've replaced my front F1 Supercars twice and the rears only once. I now have 42,000 miles on the vehicle and just switched to non-runflats. I'm running BFGoodrich Comp 2's in stock sizes.

I never had a problem with the GY S/C's at all, except their price.
I never had a problem hearing my radio like so many other posts I've read. Actually, they were never, ever noisy. They always gripped like an SOB and my G meter has often gone over 1.0 in the back roads here in WNC. (I don't drive it in winter).

Probably my only beef:
When I ran the quarter mile at Bristol, I had a difficult time getting them to hook up and my 60' time in 6 seperate runs was never less than 2.4 seconds (which is bad for a C6). My best time with that 2.4 60' was 13.0 at 113 mph. My launch technique could use some work...
I've also been told running 1/4 mile runs is a waste of time with ANY street tire.

My car is a 2008 convertible, MZ6 (manual with Z51 option) that I've had since new.

billyboy47 05-11-2013 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by fastskyline (Post 1583874246)

there are a couple of aholes on the forum, sound like little girlie boy's to me. maybe one day they'll grow up, i doubt it.:nono:

fastskyline 05-11-2013 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mac-427 (Post 1583874787)
Yeah Skyline and I understand how airline pilots always have to have the last word to establish their authority. It's tough to direct a bunch of flight attendants. Keep speedin dude. To each his own.

What are you even talking about??? Seriously, that was an ignorant thing to say.

Magneson 05-12-2013 12:55 PM

I always envy the guys that can stay out of it when a Vanquish or a Gt 500 pulls up and you have a clear rd ahead. Told the Vanquish (edit)....his car sounded great too. Now for the new tire bill and PS2 ZP's on back only, (front replaced PS2 ZP's last year 22k) 1319.96 after taxes and free replacement warr (extra 137).

Stepping on the throttle is like peeling out 100 dollar bills from your wallet! 2nd set on front 3rd set on rear 25k miles Happy to be called gramps now even if I am not one yet.

Oh the problems we Vette owners face!:lol:

billyboy47 05-12-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Magneson (Post 1583880284)
I always envy the guys that can stay out of it when a Vanquish or a Gt 500 pulls up and you have a clear rd ahead. Told the Vanquish (edit)....his car sounded great too. Now for the new tire bill and PS2 ZP's on back only, (front replaced PS2 ZP's last year 22k) 1319.96 after taxes and free replacement warr (extra 137).

Stepping on the throttle is like peeling out 100 dollar bills from your wallet! 2nd set on front 3rd set on rear 25k miles Happy to be called gramps now even if I am not one yet.

Oh the problems we Vette owners face!:lol:

there are those that should not be on the vette forum due to the fact they don't respect other members. it's supposed to be a friendly type atmosphere where you ask questions/ offer answers to other vette owners.

Mac-427 05-12-2013 01:24 PM

Billy, I am in complete agreement and appreciate your comments. This thread began as a civil discussion on tires until certain people began throwing around age related terms in a pejorative, uncivil way. My philosophy is simple. He who starts throwing personal insults is going to get some back. As for me, my interest is in obtaining information not drama. On the other hand, I will challenge insulting people who make personal remarks with personal remarks of my own .

TWS Racing 05-12-2013 03:17 PM

I just bought a '12 GS Coupe Thursday and I already dislike the OEM Goodyear tires Chevy put on the car. I immediately noticed they transmit a lot of road noise and seem to ride rough.

By contrast the OEM Goodyears on my '12 ZO6 seem to be MUCH better. They say Eagle F1 Supercar just like on the GS but are a different tread pattern - I feel too lazy to get off my butt and go to the garage and see if there is a difference in the "fine print" on the side wall- but they seem to be much better than these original equipment tires on the GS.

Perhaps some member who knows the difference between ZO6 and GS factory tires can educate me.

TWS Racing 05-12-2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Magneson (Post 1583880284)

Whenever a tire salesman sees a big smoky burnout, he probably grins from ear to ear.

That having been said, after a stressful day at work jumping in the Corvette and inducing a little tire spin can be medicine for the soul. I am grinning right along with the tire salesman. :lol:

Rogers 07 05-12-2013 03:26 PM

:iagree: 100%

Magneson 05-12-2013 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1583880334)
there are those that should not be on the vette forum due to the fact they don't respect other members. it's supposed to be a friendly type atmosphere where you ask questions/ offer answers to other vette owners.

:iagree: Everyone can have their say in a respectful way. None of us is getting any younger. It used to be that "elders" were respected. More and more though it seems disrespect is the norm. Sad. Like I said though, nice to have our problems!

Originally Posted by TWS Racing (Post 1583881211)
Whenever a tire salesman sees a big smoky burnout, he probably grins from ear to ear.

That having been said, after a stressful day at work jumping in the Corvette and inducing a little tire spin can be medicine for the soul. I am grinning right along with the tire salesman. :lol:

Medicine I can't afford :lol:. Everything has its place and it seems even turning hard into a driveway eats the tires....I do agree it is one heck of a nice day when I go for a drive.:cheers:

JoesC5 05-12-2013 03:45 PM

My granddaughter is 30 years old and I have Bridgestones on my Z06.

JoesC5 05-12-2013 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by TWS Racing (Post 1583881179)
I just bought a '12 GS Coupe Thursday and I already dislike the OEM Goodyear tires Chevy put on the car. I immediately noticed they transmit a lot of road noise and seem to ride rough.

By contrast the OEM Goodyears on my '12 ZO6 seem to be MUCH better. They say Eagle F1 Supercar just like on the GS but are a different tread pattern - I feel too lazy to get off my butt and go to the garage and see if there is a difference in the "fine print" on the side wall- but they seem to be much better than these original equipment tires on the GS.

Perhaps some member who knows the difference between ZO6 and GS factory tires can educate me.

Could be you have both the Goodyear Supercar and the Goodyear Supercar G:2(second generation).

TWS Racing 05-12-2013 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583881366)
Could be you have both the Goodyear Supercar and the Goodyear Supercar G:2(second generation).

Possible. Funny is that my ZO6 was built 11/11 and my GS was built 12/11 but they most definitely have different tires.

Here is a shot showing the tires on my ZO6. Not the best shot, but the tread pattern is visible. I realized I have better pics... but not on this computer. :(

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicle...jpg?1368388558

AORoads 05-12-2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by red2012 (Post 1583872052)

Well, first of all, not everyone. And secondly, how is anyone supposed to "argue" the points with a trackhound like Dearborn? That everyone doesn't agree with his experience, well, either they are wrong, or their opinion is quite a bit different. And those opposed opinions could be based on A) "air ball", B) waking up on wrong side of bed, C) nothing at all, or D) etc.

It doesn't mean everyone is two-faced altho some might be.:yesnod: I think anyone just has to pick thru the opinions and decide which ones make sense and which are bravado and BS. You would be surprised how that becomes less complicated, the more you see threads and posts on similar topics. As the saying goes, after awhile you can tell who is talkin' smack,:lol:
and who knows of what they speak. Don't be deterred!:cheers:

Oh, I had some Bridgestone engineers near Gila Bend tell me I was being too gentle on MY tires (Brdge, at the time) because I was getting too many miles from them. I laffed and said, "Needing a raise, our we?"

John Harry 05-12-2013 04:58 PM

I will say this for Goodyear. I had a problem with a tire and they paid for the replacement, despite the fact that it was out of warranty and the problem was not particularly their fault. Not many companies would have done this.