CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   my oh crap moment (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3267265-my-oh-crap-moment.html)

gunnerjuju 05-07-2013 10:00 PM

my oh crap moment

Was driving home with the top off today at a high rate of speed when all of a sudden the the car cover that I had neglected to fold and put away in the storage bag all of a sudden was covering the windshield and my head. I didn't panic but tried to remove the cover all the while aware that I was driving fast with cars behind me and headed towards a curve. I let off the gas and gently applied the brakes while still struggling to clear the car cover off my head. Luckily the cover was whisked way up and over the car. I quickly checked behind afraid that the cover was obscuring the vision of the car behind me. Thank god that the cover found its way to the side of the road. What a close call. Lesson learned and I will never drive with the top off and loose objects in the rear.

michaelinmech 05-07-2013 10:03 PM

My heart sped up just reading your experience - close call - will your Fruit Of the Looms clean up or are they totaled :flag:

42Chevy 05-07-2013 10:04 PM

That could have been bad. Glad everyone and everything is ok.

hwhiteco 05-07-2013 10:05 PM

Thanks for Posting

Main thing is no one got hurt & thanks for posting...it's an excellent safety lesson for all of us to learn & abide by! :blueangel:

LSD 2005 05-07-2013 10:18 PM

:eek: Just reading your hair-raising story made me uneasy. I'm glad no one was injured and no damages to your Vette. Did you retrieved your car cover on the side of the road?

FlyerVette 05-07-2013 10:24 PM

Your story is indeed scary but thanks for sharing because someone else can learn from your experience.......

boraxman 05-07-2013 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by gunnerjuju (Post 1583841792)
Was driving home with the top off today at a high rate of speed when all of a sudden the the car cover that I had neglected to fold and put away in the storage bag all of a sudden was covering the windshield and my head. I didn't panic but tried to remove the cover all the while aware that I was driving fast with cars behind me and headed towards a curve. I let off the gas and gently applied the brakes while still struggling to clear the car cover off my head. Luckily the cover was whisked way up and over the car. I quickly checked behind afraid that the cover was obscuring the vision of the car behind me. Thank god that the cover found its way to the side of the road. What a close call. Lesson learned and I will never drive with the top off and loose objects in the rear.

Got to watch those "high rate of speeds"....Glad it didnt turn disastrous/:eek:

gunnerjuju 05-07-2013 10:46 PM

I left the car cover on the side of the road as there were too many cars behind me and I felt relieved that I didn't kill anybody or myself. Small price to pay for the lesson I learned. Plus father's day is coming up.

RickMG 05-07-2013 10:55 PM

When that happens to me my heart races and when I realize I'm still driving and can't see where I'm going I usually wake up.

:D

HOXXOH 05-07-2013 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1583841816)
My heart sped up just reading your experience - close call - will your Fruit Of the Looms clean up or are they totaled :flag:

:rofl:I had a similar reaction reading his post. Then LMAO reading your response.

Rocketmanwpb 05-08-2013 12:25 AM

Never had anything like that happen in my C5 coupe, but you had better nail it down in the vert-glad you are OK.

CorvetteSparky 05-08-2013 12:27 AM

:eek:

FlyerVette 05-08-2013 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by gunnerjuju (Post 1583842270)
felt relieved that I didn't kill anybody or myself. Small price to pay for the lesson I learned.

For sure....!! Really glad you are ok.......

Dado5 05-08-2013 12:56 AM

Few monts back I was driving to nordstrom to return $400 shirt I got. Took the top off and was on freeway going about 80mph. Shirt and receipt flew out from the back of my car and landed behind md in the left lane.freeway was busy and cars run over it. I was so pissed....

Rathmullan 05-08-2013 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by gunnerjuju (Post 1583841792)

Did you get this on video? Were you able to retrieve the cover? Given the high rate of speed and if were me, if anyone stopped and asked what just happened I'd tell them "faulty parachute deployment".

Glad you're okay. But man, you might wake up in a sweat reliving that one!

Glen1224 05-08-2013 01:24 AM

WOW what a scary thing to happen. Thanks for the reminder and warning ! The worst or funniest thing that happened to me was I had the top down on my vert and an almost full box of tissues behind the seat. I looked in the mirror and saw the tissues were flying out of the car, one a time, and there was a nice trail of them on the road behind me :rofl:
Sorry about the littering :hide:

Knob Jockey 05-08-2013 01:32 AM

You've created a new branch of the Flying Roof Club.

Glad you got away relatively unscathed.

:thumbs::thumbs:

Don-Vette 05-08-2013 06:22 AM

Wow! you got lucky and learned a good lesson.

VET4LES 05-08-2013 06:53 AM

:eek:

dvilin 05-08-2013 07:10 AM

Could have been a real disaster, lesson learned for all who read this.