CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] how many people with no engine problems? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3266758-how-many-people-with-no-engine-problems.html)

QUAKEJAKE 05-07-2013 04:08 PM

2007 zo6

Purchased new 12/07. Now has 40k spirited, street driven , total vehicle,almost trouble free miles. ( one cat. convertor replaced ).

MudZ06 05-07-2013 04:08 PM

'08 with 40k miles. no problems but I still did the heads.

dmuellenberg 05-07-2013 07:21 PM

2006 bought brand new DD with 77k miles, never tracked. Stock except for exhaust, not a single engine problem.

SHovV 05-07-2013 10:29 PM

2008 Zo6
2nd owner
Race history unknown
10,000+ miles in the last 6 months
Just a hair over 40,000 miles
Nothing unusual yet. Although I am going to be getting the valves / guides done within the next month or two.

MTPZ06 05-07-2013 10:38 PM

Here we go again... :crazy:

If you're even slightly concerned, take the car to a competent vette shop near you (get some recomendations from forum members), and have them pull the covers and check the guides for most likely a few hundred bucks. If they're bad; they'll be ready to give all kinds of recommendations to fix the heads. If they check out good...enjoy. :thumbs:

BTW...'09 with 10K miles, no known issues to date.

Z.06 05-07-2013 10:51 PM

Not me!

13,900 miles on my pristine, never tracked, stock Z06. Did the wiggle test myself with the help of Jed Blanks and found I was already out of GM spec. with no oil consumption issues. GM stepped up and fixed mine just before my drivetrain warranty expired.

Get the wiggle test done on your Z06 so you can enjoy the car again.

winzerguy 05-07-2013 10:59 PM

I put 156K on a 2006 Z06 before I sold it to purchase a 2013 Z06 which now has 16K on it. Both were/are DD with no mods, no track time. Zero engine problems in 7 happy years of enjoying the performance of the most reliable cars I have ever owned.
Of those who have had engine issues, why not disclose the actual time of failure(on track? or street?), drive train mods and how many track miles were driven?

kotik 05-08-2013 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 (Post 1583842194)
Here we go again... :crazy:

If you're even slightly concerned, take the car to a competent vette shop near you (get some recomendations from forum members), and have them pull the covers and check the guides for most likely a few hundred bucks. If they're bad; they'll be ready to give all kinds of recommendations to fix the heads. If they check out good...enjoy. :thumbs:

BTW...'09 with 10K miles, no known issues to date.

I'm in Germany... it's not that easy.

GOLD72 05-08-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by jimman (Post 1583834382)
167,000 without any issues and there are some with over 200K without issues. I guess I have stronger valves than all the others:willy: Heading out on an 8500 mile cross country trip in a couple of weeks.

:D Outstanding!!!!!!!! I sold my 06Z with 48k miles with no engine problems over two years ago.

yellowzron 05-08-2013 08:03 AM

Bought mine with 4223 miles and have 17,386 and I drive it all the time with zero issues. Knock on wood.

Property1 05-08-2013 10:08 AM

bought my 2008 with 16k, at 18k now, no problems at all. But I'm still being proactive, having a nearby shop do the wiggle test soon, and will have them fixed if it's out of spec.

There's something to be said about the value of peace of mind. I've had the car four months and not a day has gone by where I haven't stopped to think about the valve issue for a minute or two. It's pretty stressful. I've been turning down cruise events and track days and such because I keep imagining my engine just blowing up at one of those events. It's well worth it just to spend $2000 getting the valves fixed, and never worry about it again.

VetteVinnie 05-08-2013 12:53 PM

My engine has had no problems that I didn't cause myself through modding (mostly just dealing with broken valve seals - twice). Replaced the exhaust valves at around 12K miles (I had already voided the warranty by putting a cam in it) and replaced the guides around 22K miles. Car now has almost 28K miles on it.

Other problems I've dealt with:

1) A/C cutting out in extreme heat (110+ with the heat index) while sitting at stop lights or in stop and go traffic. This turned out to be related to excessive underhood temperatures causing the A/C to over pressurize. I've since had the expansion valve replaced under warranty (a few years ago) and more recently had the headers ceramic coated to cut down on the radiated heat. Ditching the Vararam for the Callaway Honker also improved this problem since the airflow through the A/C condenser was more restricted with the Vararam.

2) Cooling fans cutting out (almost overheated the car, but I caught it just in time). Connections in the fan wiring were melting. I bypassed the connector with the ground wire and have not had a problem since.

3) Oil consumption. This still may be an issue, although I'm not sure where it's going. First two times of blowing black/blue smoke was due to broken valve seals. Not sure what was causing this. No appreciable oil in the intake a I have an Elite catch can that does catch oil like it's supposed to. the only thing I can think of at this point is it's getting blowby.

4) Shredded the spider gears in the stock rear end after dumping the clutch on dry pavement and doing a monster burnout. Oops.

5) Remote clutch bleeder fitting on cheaper solutions broke twice where it connects to the slave cylinder. I will only use Katech bleeders from now on. That one hasn't had any issues.

6) Clutch pedal sinking when I have the assist/return spring attached. Haven't addressed this problem yet other than to disconnect the spring. Supposedly this is bad, but I have not had any problems as a result (knock on wood).

7) Recently, a "squeak" has developed somewhere in the engine compartment that tracks the RPMs. I am hoping it's just the serpentine belt (haven't had the chance to mess with it yet). It might also be a pulley.

8) I have no traction. Nitto Invos are great for daily driving and cruising, but suck when you're running over 570rwhp. I don't want to put drag radials on it because I get caught in the rain enough where it would be catastrophic. When I burn these tires off, I may switch to Pilot Sport Cups.

9) It's dirty and it bugs me, especially being a black car. Haven't had time lately to give it the much needed TLC - traveling for work much more often these days.

:cheers:

rustybridges05 05-08-2013 02:59 PM

07 32k ZERO issues with motor. Car is insane and im in love with it. I think alot of these guys are whiners. Its a performance vehicle. If you expect to beat on it everytime u drive it and stuff to not go wrong just because its a sports car, then those people are unrealistic. **** breaks. Then you replace it with aftermarket parts and go faster.

AzDave47 05-08-2013 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by EViL427 (Post 1583846357)
8) I have no traction. Nitto Invos are great for daily driving and cruising, but suck when you're running over 570rwhp. I don't want to put drag radials on it because I get caught in the rain enough where it would be catastrophic. When I burn these tires off, I may switch to Pilot Sport Cups.

:cheers:

You will need to use a lot of caution in the rain with the PSC's, too, but they will be better than drag radials in the rain.

Paul Scarpelli 05-08-2013 04:50 PM

I bought my black Z06 new in 2008, and I have around 26,000 miles, with not a single problem of any kind. I change the oil and buy a shirtload of tires, and that's it. No engine issues, and it's been to redline "a few" times. I also have the GM extended warranty. The only issue I have is with the TR6060, which, as an ex-professional drummer, I can "beat" between 1st and 2nd. It sure doesn't shift like a Honda. Best car I've ever owned, and a keeper.

kotik 05-08-2013 05:31 PM

I had e90 m3, and i beat on it for 20k(bought it with 36k miles), then i threw on a bolt on supercharger kit and beat on it for another 15k, then sold to a guy with 65k miles who is beating on it. i did about 50laps around nurburgring with the sc (another 50 without), 3 sessions on nurburgring gp track, 3 sessions at the spa, 2 sessions at hockenheim. about 40trips to 210mph, cruising on the autobahn at 150mph for 30-40min at 6k rpm and that car never had a single problem ( still on stock rotors)... Soooo sports car doesnt mean it blows an engine. i want to run the vette in the same manner without headache.

Originally Posted by rustybridges05 (Post 1583847389)
07 32k ZERO issues with motor. Car is insane and im in love with it. I think alot of these guys are whiners. Its a performance vehicle. If you expect to beat on it everytime u drive it and stuff to not go wrong just because its a sports car, then those people are unrealistic. **** breaks. Then you replace it with aftermarket parts and go faster.

z0sicktanner 05-08-2013 06:36 PM

for the guys that have not have issues check your guides you will find out of spec guides by 30k on over 50% my 06 broke valve spring at 30k motor toast. speced my guides and had 2 out of spec guides one with .0080 the other with .0110

crAzy 05-08-2013 09:38 PM

06z bought at 20k miles. Has 29k now and only mod is mf103. No engine problems that I know of. Ticking I do have.

spicytuna 05-08-2013 09:39 PM

My 2007 with 14,000 miles has been problem free. :cheers:

Still brings me a huge grin every time I start the motor.

But with that being said, now that I started to track it at Mosport, it'll be going under the knife next week to get its heads refreshed.

erichg1000 05-11-2013 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by kotik (Post 1583848645)
I had e90 m3, and i beat on it for 20k(bought it with 36k miles), then i threw on a bolt on supercharger kit and beat on it for another 15k, then sold to a guy with 65k miles who is beating on it. i did about 50laps around nurburgring with the sc (another 50 without), 3 sessions on nurburgring gp track, 3 sessions at the spa, 2 sessions at hockenheim. about 40trips to 210mph, cruising on the autobahn at 150mph for 30-40min at 6k rpm and that car never had a single problem ( still on stock rotors)... Soooo sports car doesnt mean it blows an engine. i want to run the vette in the same manner without headache.

Damn that's badazz! 210mph with just a bolt on SC on a straight six? Why would you get rid of that?