CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   That spare tire (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3266229-that-spare-tire.html)

Blame 05-06-2013 10:25 AM

That spare tire

I am thinking about removing the spare tire and tray from my corvette. How many have done this and was your thought about ?

Stroh 05-06-2013 10:59 AM

It frees up some space and maybe cleans up the look a little, but what other purpose would you have for removing it?

Just curious.

I've heard it actually serves a design function to absorb impact in rear end collisions thereby providing additional protection. I'm not sure about that but it sounds plausible.

As for the removal, there is a captured nut welded into the inside of the frame that hold the front bolts of the spare tire carrier. If your bolts are seized and will not come out on their own, you have to cut off and drill out these buggers because you can't really get at the nut. I can say from experience that this is a HUGE PITA. If the nuts aren't seized and easily removed the change will take you a whole 10 minutes.

Blame 05-06-2013 11:18 AM

Just to clean up the back and ill never going to use it. Would not hurt to cut some unneeded weight.

billcarson 05-06-2013 11:48 AM

the tire is supposed to keep the car in balance but don't know how great an effect it has.test drive it without the weight of the spare for a test before removing the tub.

Blame 05-06-2013 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by billcarson (Post 1583827262)
the tire is supposed to keep the car in balance but don't know how great an effect it has.test drive it without the weight of the spare for a test before removing the tub.

I could alway weld something to replace the lost balance weight.

AGVI 05-06-2013 12:28 PM

Get rid of it and be happy. :thumbs:

72C3Vette 05-06-2013 12:39 PM

Someone I know got rid of the spare tire, left the tray. Basically made a storage compartment out of it for fluids, tire repair kit, and other odds and ends. Looks nice. They lined it with felt and make separate trays in it.

Easy Mike 05-06-2013 12:40 PM

The tub, itself, weighs next to nothing. You will not see any real life changes removing only the tub. The weight is the spare tire and rim. Remove your spare and weigh it to give you an idea of what poundage you would be saving.

:thumbs:

Alan 71 05-06-2013 03:04 PM

Hi,
If the tub and support strap are in good condition I think the cars look better with them in place.
With the tub gone I think your eye focuses on the large empty gap between the mufflers/pipes.
Regards,
Alan

Navy01Coupe 05-06-2013 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Alan 71 (Post 1583828823)
Hi,
If the tub and support strap are in good condition I think the cars look better with them in place.
With the tub gone I think your eye focuses on the large empty gap between the mufflers/pipes.
Regards,
Alan

:iagree:

DonnieP73 05-06-2013 05:51 PM

I agree also. It would just look like something missing.

Blame 05-06-2013 06:47 PM

Guess i can lose the tire and convert the tray into a holding bin.

Trae1976 05-06-2013 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 72C3Vette (Post 1583827677)
Someone I know got rid of the spare tire, left the tray. Basically made a storage compartment out of it for fluids, tire repair kit, and other odds and ends. Looks nice. They lined it with felt and make separate trays in it.

I did this as well, sans the felt and tray dividers. In it I keep a decent tool bag, a small tool box with extra fluids, a bag full of detailing supplies, and a tupperware type box of rags. You can get quite a bit in that thing!

I also replaced the locking bolt with a rubber hood latch for easy access. It's held everything secure for years now.

:cheers:

jay_c3 05-06-2013 07:42 PM

I was thinking of removing mine also. I'm redoing the rear suspension. When i look at the back it blocks the view of the rear end.

Dheista 05-06-2013 07:53 PM

I think they're GREAT without the spare tire. That's why I have AAA+, and if you clean up the rear end and do something like Shark Bite or upgraded/painted suspension parts - it can really draw the eye to something useful (and fun)...

http://www.heistad.com/photos/corvet...inal%20(9).jpg

indydoug 05-06-2013 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Blame (Post 1583826614)
I am thinking about removing the spare tire and tray from my corvette. How many have done this and was your thought about ?

When I bought my '80 it didn't have a spare. I removed the tray and have never missed it. So far I only drive locally, so a flat would be no big deal.

Years ago I did the same with my '75 - drove it six years with no spare or tray.

80Baby 05-06-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Alan 71 (Post 1583828823)
Hi,
Regards,
Alan

:iagree:

Yup! Alan is spot on. A few years ago a '78 passed by me (I wasn't going to pass him with my Yaris :D) and the first thing I noticed was the missing carrier tray. It looked odd. If I ever had to cross the bridge, I'd keep the tray, just ditch the spare.

Redwing01 05-06-2013 09:08 PM

I personally like the looks of the tub.
You're really not saving tons of weight either when it comes right down to it.

Mod75 05-06-2013 09:24 PM

I just put mine back in after being out for 20 plus years

I say keep it in.
:thumbs:

rcread 05-06-2013 09:25 PM

I took mine off a while ago. The year before last while driving my wife's Porsche back from a trip to Napa, we had a flat on I5 in the middle of Nowhere, Oregon. The tire was shredded and we had no cell coverage. Fortunately, we had a spare and were on the road 15 minutes later trying to track down a Porsche tire. If I were in the Corvette, I don't know how long I'd have been on the side of the highway. I'd recommend carrying a spare if you are going on a long trip.