CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Insurance Surprise (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3265613-insurance-surprise.html)

Zee0hSix 05-05-2013 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1583824139)
Well, the Lizard is expensive but the Cavemen are cheap... so it even's out. :)

Progressive must pay "Flo" 10 bucks an hour. That's why they've kept her for over a century. :)

I use liberty Mutual (no ads) $1200.00 for family and 3 cars a year.

2006 Z06
2007 BMW 328xi
2009 Infiniti FX35

Africa_Nick 05-05-2013 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by nsad (Post 1583820454)
Yes, it's amazing the info he had. MORON

Well, if your agent is able to give you a firm number then they must know those kind of details. Who would use Geico. Horrible support with auto accidents or DUIs. IDIOT.

speedlink 05-06-2013 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by bradl1982 (Post 1583818597)
that's good news. I'm surprised they can give you an accurate quote already with the car not even being out yet. I need to call up usaa and see how much mine will be. Last vette i had when i was in germany and my insurance was $300 a month!

usaa!

Mdm23 05-06-2013 07:57 AM

There should be no surprise. People don't drive them much, they're not in many crashes, and the average owner is over 50. Perfect conditions for low insurance.

WhiteDiamond 05-06-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by nsad (Post 1583818579)
I have Geico as my carrier .

Please kill the lizard and get a new insurance company.......

DebRedZR1 05-06-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stingray2014 (Post 1583821497)
Here's an experience or 2 that has stuck with me.

I have had State Farm insurance on a car that had the stereo ripped off.
about 10 years later, I had another car Stereo ripped off, but this time I had Geico.

State Farm: Get us the receipts for the stuff you had in the car and we'll get it repaired. I did and ended up with a brand new system identical to the one that was stolen. $500 deductible was all i paid.

Geico: We are going to replace your aftermarket stereo with a stock one. Oh and guess what, we are going to replace it with "Like new" equipment. Um, that is "USED!" :crazy2: $500 Deductible, a lot of argument over the repairs, a lot of time passed, and a very unsatisfying experience.

In Conclusion, these were very similar experiences, similar coverage, however, very different insurance companies. Sometimes you do get what you pay for, and I'd stay away from Geico, it's bottom shelf insurance. Would love to hear other peoples real life experiences as well.

I asked a couple of Body shops in my area who was good to deal with and that made the decision really easy. :smash:

vetteLT193 05-06-2013 09:18 AM

If you want to have a laugh get a quote on same year/model/options Trans Am and Z28. The T/A is generally purchased by older guys where the Z's were not. The rates on the same car, same value, same options etc will be pennies on the dollar for the T/A compared to the Z.

It's all in the numbers and what happens to the cars. Not many Vettes get wrecked, stolen, etc.

Harry2 05-06-2013 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jkcam6017 (Post 1583819521)
The percentage of theft claims for Vettes is very low because most owners keep them locked in garages and only drive them once a week to the Dairy Queen.

Good one, thanks for the laugh!!

VADanno 05-06-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by flange (Post 1583821896)
In the case of the stereo and attitude, one of the driving factors is time. Things changed dramatically over the years with insurance for many reasons. One of the biggest companies ot come out of it is LKQ, which is the insurer term for used parts. it means like kind and quality, or USED. This company and others make big bucks off of doing the work of stripping down cars and parting them out. They convinced insurers it was the right way to do business.
In some cases, such as vettes, LKQ often cannot provide parts of the same quality as the many cars not daily driven. I had ot fight with them over the use of lkqparts on my 95 vert. They sent out three different sets of parts that were cleary not the equivalent condition as my car.

A good repair shop will keep your best interest in mind. I had someone run into the back of my DD, and their insurance company wanted to use an aftermarket bumper cover. The shop I use showed them it was not the same as the OEM, and forced them to purchase the original part. I have the advantage of living in Texas, where I get to select the repair facility. Props to Sterling Auto Collision!

SCM_Crash 05-06-2013 11:05 AM

FYI, the insurance companies that don't spend money on advertising are usually the best. LOL

chaase 05-06-2013 05:07 PM

The percentage of theft claims for Vettes is very low because most owners keep them locked in garages and only drive them once a week to the Dairy Queen.

:iagree:

They also have low body repair costs because there isn't really any denting. The panel either cracks and it is replaced or it just needs to be repainted. The demographic of the owners gives them an overall low accident/claim rate.

That is how my insurance agent explained it to me when I bought my C5.

Cirrus8 05-07-2013 04:13 PM

Call Adam Bocca at National Corvette Museum and get a quote. Maybe you can have a similar policy :D

Originally Posted by vankenn (Post 1583824145)
$262 per year!!! holy smoke, can you add me to your policy, please?

QUAKEJAKE 05-07-2013 04:25 PM

I was told by my agent that the median age of a Corvette owner is a big factor.

MikeG37 05-07-2013 04:53 PM

My Mini Cooper S is $122 more a year to cover than the Corvette. And my wife's minivan is more than both of my vehicles combined. My 17 yo. step daughter being listed on her policy is what eats our lunch.

red2012 05-07-2013 05:36 PM

I'm also going to guess that since we all live in different parts of the country location has a big effect on prices. We are all supposed to be old geezers as vette owners so I would assume we all have the age thing going for us. I live in westchester N.Y. and pay right around $700YR for my '13 GS. But if i lived in the BRONX which is 10 minutes away the rate goes to $1100 a year. So location i would think is a big part of the rates.

Daekwan06 05-07-2013 06:11 PM

Full coverage, $0 deductible, 300/$1mill/300 coverage on my 2007 C6 is a whopping $65 a month with State Farm.

I live one mile from the Pentagon (DC Metro area).. I'm 38, single, no tickets/accidents since 2004 and have 3 vehicles & homeowners insurance with SF.

G352C6 05-07-2013 09:41 PM

This will be less than my current CL63 which is second or third most expensive to insure.

99HRDTP 05-08-2013 06:47 AM

Every other one of my vehicles, including the ZR1, is cheaper to insure than my SUV.

Daekwan06 05-08-2013 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP (Post 1583843648)
Every other one of my vehicles, including the ZR1, is cheaper to insure than my SUV.

This is pretty common as SUV's tend to cause more damage than other vehicles when involved in a collision. I have a Lincoln Navigator and I backed into a Cadillac, really on damaging the headlight. Caused about $1500 in damage when the total bill was done.

SUV's are not just bigger.. they ride height is much higher. Running into or backing into a regular car, will result in the SUV running onto the top of the other car and crushing it down. Instead bumper to bumper contact. It also doesn't help that sheer size of SUV's making them more difficult to park or maneuver at pretty much any speed. For drivers who already find these tasks challenging.. driving an SUV only increases the odds they will come into contact with another object (car, pole, etc).

Corvettes have lower-than-normal insurance rates because the vast majority of them are weekend toys or garage queens with low milage. Owners use them more show.. than they do for go. Finally Corvette owners are notoriously picky about protecting their car and keeping its appears as showroom new as possible. This all greatly reduces the odds of a Corvette being in any type of accident.

Vegas Sam 05-09-2013 12:22 AM

I won't use GEICO to this day because of their buying up of radar and laser guns years ago.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...here-be-light/