CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Finally the Answer We've all Been.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3263028-finally-the-answer-weve-all-been.html)

ramairws6 05-01-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
GM says they realized the problem in 2011 so 2012+ do not have the machining problem. Although they also said it's 2009-2011 and we've seen 2007s and 2008s with high guide wear so I don't know what to think.

Oh boy, posted over at LS1Tech.............. now he doesn't know what to think!?? :crazy:

JoesC5 05-01-2013 07:42 PM

I have a neighbor that has worked for GM for 42 years. He is a GM zone manager.

I hadn't talked to him for quite a while(not since I bought the Z06) but he stopped by this afternoon to get some info on my 4-post lifts I have in my garage.

I asked him if he was familiar with the valve problem with the Z06's and he said he knew all about it. When I started telling him that I was a very unhappy camper(as are others) and was getting ready to spend $5,000 for new aftermarket heads plus labor to install, in Ft. Worth, he clamed up and started trying to change the subject. I could tell by the way he was acting, that the problem is larger than GM lets on(IMHO). I got zero info out of him. I got the feeling that he has been in the middle of such conversations before with unhappy Z06 owners.

I told him that I felt I was getting screwed by GM because I bought an $80,000 car and was having to be proactive and spend 5 grand to fix a problem on the engine with only 25,000 miles on it, that GM should be taking care of. He did ask me if I had considered trading it off.

Anyway, my point in this post was to let you guys know that even back in the sticks, GM is apparently aware of the problem.

ramairws6 05-01-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583789583)

I hadn't talked to him for quite a while(not since I bought the Z06) but he stopped by this afternoon to get some info on my 4-post lifts I have in my garage.

I asked him if he was familiar with the valve problem with the Z06's and he said he knew all about it. When I started telling him that I was a very unhappy camper(as are others) and was getting ready to spend $5,000 for new aftermarket heads plus labor to install, in Ft. Worth, he clamed up and started trying to change the subject. I could tell by the way he was acting, that the problem is larger than GM lets on(IMHO). I got zero info out of him. I got the feeling that he has been in the middle of such conversations before with unhappy Z06 owners.

I told him that I felt I was getting screwed by GM because I bought an $80,000 car and was having to be proactive and spend 5 grand to fix a problem on the engine with only 25,000 miles on it, that GM should be taking care of. He did ask me if I had considered trading it off.

Anyway, my point in this post was to let you guys know that even back in the sticks, GM is apparently aware of the problem.

Oh you better know it. There was no doubt in my mind and i do think they know exactly what the issue is. Sad.....:(

don7790 05-01-2013 08:32 PM

What did he want you to trade it off for a new one or another vehicle altogether?

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-01-2013 09:02 PM

I definitely believe it.

Mark2009 05-01-2013 09:41 PM

[...] When I started telling him that I was a very unhappy camper(as are others) and was getting ready to spend $5,000 for new aftermarket heads plus labor to install, in Ft. Worth, he clamed up and started trying to change the subject. I could tell by the way he was acting, that the problem is larger than GM lets on(IMHO). I got zero info out of him. I got the feeling that he has been in the middle of such conversations before with unhappy Z06 owners.

I told him that I felt I was getting screwed by GM because I bought an $80,000 car and was having to be proactive and spend 5 grand to fix a problem on the engine with only 25,000 miles on it, that GM should be taking care of. [...]

You might have caught more flies with honey instead of vinegar . . . . . ;)

SSMOKE 05-02-2013 02:08 AM

GREAT post. :thumbs: I am first, a PATRIOT. :flag: Secondly, I love CORVETTES and wanted one since I was a teenager, when my engineer Dad, told me he had one and the stories that went with it. ('63 STRINGRAY.) Thirdly, I have brand loyalty. Fourth, and I know that it doesn't really matter, I am a HUGE NASCAR fan and it is a thrill knowing that my car, in some respects and track set ups, is as fast as theirs.

Anyway, it pisses me the F off that I need to spend 2.5K (I am actually spending 4K, that I don't have and getting a TORQUER! :thumbs:) to keep from potentially grenading my motor. WHATEVER the cause.

I appreciate Quick's information and while heavier valves would not be my first choice, it is obviously better than spending $$ on a whole new motor. WCCH Stage II and a TORQUER forthcoming! :thumbs: In all honesty, I hope that it (my specifics) passes the Spintron test. :cheers:

'06 Quicksilver Z06 05-02-2013 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by SSMOKE (Post 1583792250)
GREAT post. :thumbs: I am first, a PATRIOT. :flag: Secondly, I love CORVETTES and wanted one since I was a teenager, when my engineer Dad, told me he had one and the stories that went with it. ('63 STRINGRAY.) Thirdly, I have brand loyalty. Fourth, and I know that it doesn't really matter, I am a HUGE NASCAR fan and it is a thrill knowing that my car, in some respects and track set ups, is as fast as theirs.

Anyway, it pisses me the F off that I need to spend 2.5K (I am actually spending 4K, that I don't have and getting a TORQUER! :thumbs:) to keep from potentially grenading my motor. WHATEVER the cause.

I appreciate Quick's information and while heavier valves would not be my first choice, it is obviously better than spending $$ on a whole new motor. WCCH Stage II and a TORQUER forthcoming! :thumbs: In all honesty, I hope that it (my specifics) passes the Spintron test. :cheers:

Well, good luck on your build, :thumbs::cheers:

Vette @ 71 05-02-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by ramairws6 (Post 1583788405)
Oh, that one doesn't count?? Ok, i will find the other ones then....

You should remember that Jason adequately addressed the circumstances.

Do you have another example?

John B 05-02-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB (Post 1583787541)
In case all of you were wondering what the engine looks like. This is the motor in discussion here. Came out of my 07 z06. Owner was supposedly tracking it and was at 120mph when it went

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/.../photo3-14.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/.../photo2-22.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/.../photo1-23.jpg

Cool!! I got 1 from last year looks like that both sides. Brainerd Long track 4 gear. Just kept spinning & grinding in gear. Got a new cooler & intake as we couldn't get all the crap out.

JoesC5 05-02-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by don7790 (Post 1583790041)
What did he want you to trade it off for a new one or another vehicle altogether?

he didn't say, but I assumed he meant a new one(Corvette, maybe another Z06) that comes with a new warranty for the next 5 years.

JoesC5 05-02-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mark200X (Post 1583790751)
You might have caught more flies with honey instead of vinegar . . . . . ;)

How do you tell someone that you're unhappy without telling them that you're unhappy? I didn't go into a raging wild man act.

spicytuna 05-02-2013 12:40 PM

Just casually ask him why GM decided to make the valve guides out of paper mache?

Scooter275 05-02-2013 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by EViL427 (Post 1583778854)
Well, Ferrea did sell my engine builder the valves that are currently in my car. Ulterior motive? I doubt it. My valves were replaced back in 2009 before the forum "blew up" with valve controversy. I had the guides checked and replaced as a precaution in late 2011, and there were no signs of wear after running on the Ferrea valves for 12K miles. Hardly scientific, just food for thought.

What guides did you use Bronze and SS valves?

Katech_Zach 05-02-2013 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by ramairws6 (Post 1583789505)
Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
GM says they realized the problem in 2011 so 2012+ do not have the machining problem. Although they also said it's 2009-2011 and we've seen 2007s and 2008s with high guide wear so I don't know what to think.

Oh boy, posted over at LS1Tech.............. now he doesn't know what to think!?? :crazy:

Let me clarify for you. GM states the problem is 2009-2011. We've seen the problem on 2007 and 2008. I don't know what to think about that. GM made the statement on the year range, not me. I'm just reporting what we find in the field.

FrankTank 05-02-2013 03:33 PM

Joe, very interesting, and you know, his behavior mirrors that of GM (Of course cuz he is a GM employee ) they have admitted to a degree that there is a problem, but start asking for more information, or barking louder about it and they clam up.

My thought, they have no CLUE how many engines are effected and thats why they are silent, and prior have said very little. My guess is they discovered it , could only narrow it to what MY they guessed, obviously because we've seen pretty much all MY come up with guide wear or a blown motor with dropped exhaust valve.

z0sicktanner 05-02-2013 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason (Post 1583797016)
Let me clarify for you. GM states the problem is 2009-2011. We've seen the problem on 2007 and 2008. I don't know what to think about that. GM made the statement on the year range, not me. I'm just reporting what we find in the field.

I've seen way more toasted heads and engines from 06 why? because of how many were made and 06's will have more miles because of the first years. and most ppl that mod will buy the 06 before they do a new one. it's in them ALL an you guys know it

ramairws6 05-02-2013 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner (Post 1583797157)
I've seen way more toasted heads and engines from 06 why? because of how many were made and 06's will have more miles because of the first years. and most ppl that mod will buy the 06 before they do a new one. it's in them ALL an you guys know it

Yup, there's no denying it. Everyone has the issue plain and simple. Not sure why the 2006's haven't been brought up as there are way more of them that popped then any :iagree:

wolf8218 05-02-2013 05:23 PM

My car is in the shop for a warranty head replacement.

After that I will change out valves, guides, and springs. Hopefully I can keep the old heads and get them re-done.

Dirty Howie 05-02-2013 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by wolf8218 (Post 1583798246)
My car is in the shop for a warranty head replacement.

After that I will change out valves, guides, and springs. Hopefully I can keep the old heads and get them re-done.

They are not going to give you the old heads unless you BUY new ones.

:cheers:
DH