CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   jacks and spare tires. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3259206-jacks-and-spare-tires.html)

myred63 04-24-2013 09:51 AM

jacks and spare tires.

Just wondering what the people with nice drivers and resto mods are
doing for spare tires and jacks.
I was thinking about not carrying a jack or a spare, and going
with a mini tire inflator and tire repair kit.( doing this now)
i have Firestone 215x70x15 R and imagine i could cross the country
any which way and always be within a few mile of a Firestone dealer.
Does anyone use run Flats?
Or if i did go with a spare, since I do not have a jack for my 63,
what substitute could be used that works , and is not too expensive?
Looking forward to all comments
thx
Peter

midyearvette 04-24-2013 10:00 AM

i carry a spare and the jack i use is out of an 84-89 pontiac firebird or trans am
im sure there are others too that will work but this jack fits in the well and the handle is perfect for the lug nuts....jmo.....:thumbs:

TheGanzman 04-24-2013 11:12 AM

First and foremost, carry a AAA card, (or the # of your favorite "rollback" tow driver). Even assuming you have the ability, tools, and a spare (or the stuff to repair your puncture), actually "tending" to a flat by the side of the road is a dicey proposition MOST of the time! Will you have room to get far enough off the road (if there even IS such a thing as "far enough over" anymore, with people texting and/or rubbernecking!); will the surface safely support a jack and/or jackstand; if the damaged tire is "streetside", multiply the "danger factor" by tenfold. Sooooo...having said all THAT, here's what *I* do:
- Drive on the BEST tires $ can buy!
- Before EVERY time I get behind the wheel (or even ride w/someone ELSE!), I do a "pre-flight" - I walk around the car once and look at the tires. Easy habit to get into; takes an extra 15 seconds. Better to catch that "slow leak" at THAT point, where it's easier (and usually MUCH safer) to repair...
- Carry a Continental "ContiComfort" kit - PERIOD! Approved by the German TUV; the Germans take their driving seriously! Even if you don't use the "sealant" portion of the kit, the inflator is hands-down the BEST! Best price at The Tire Rack: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38
- I carry a small "bottle jack" w/a good range of motion, and a small piece of 4"X4"...
- "Dynaplug" tire plugging tool - Yes please! Been carrying one since they came out; only had to repair my OWN tires a coupla times (always in the parking lot - remember my "Pre-flight" routine?), but I have helped ~6 other people get back rolling with this kit, which I GREATLY prefer to the sealant. I've filled holes half the thickness of your pinky with this kit - get the extra plugs. Jack up the tire, find the puncture (nail or screw usually), pull it out, insert 2-5 plugs, reinflate w/ComfortKit, lower jack, drive home...
- Small needle-nose pliers, to remove the screw/nail. Small "cutting pliers", to cut off the ends of the Dynaplugs...

Will this fix ALL flats? Nope; sidewall CUTS, blowouts - you're SOL. But you're just playin' the odds here anyway - if you're running GOOD tires, if you check 'em before EVERY drive - this "kit" will have you covered 98 out of 100 times; the other 2 times, you'll be more worried about getting the stain out of your driver's seat!:D

SpartyGW 04-24-2013 11:20 AM

I had to use my Dynaplug tool just last week on my Enclave. That tool is worth it's weight. Everyone should have one.

TheGanzman 04-24-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by SpartyGW (Post 1583724412)
I had to use my Dynaplug tool just last week on my Enclave. That tool is worth it's weight. Everyone should have one.

There's an even better one out now called "The Tire Plugger" - I carry THAT one in my DD...:thumbs:

Plasticman 04-24-2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by SpartyGW (Post 1583724412)

:iagree: Have used the Dynaplug for many years, and have had to use it a "few" times (especially when we lived up in Chicago area). Worked every time.

I see that they have a new version of the handle tool:
http://www.dynaplug.com/

I have the older version (currently $19.95) in each vehicle. That and a small 12V air compressor is all you need for most punctures.

Far better than the plugs available at most parts stores.

Still best to have an AAA card just in case.

Plasticman

wmf62 04-24-2013 12:26 PM

the size of your spare tire is important if you have positraction and have a flat on the rear axle; the circumferences need to be close. OR, you can swap a good tire off the front and put the odd-sized spare on the front.
Bill

myred63 04-24-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by wmf62 (Post 1583724998)
the size of your spare tire is important if you have positraction and have a flat on the rear axle; the circumferences need to be close. OR, you can swap a good tire off the front and put the odd-sized spare on the front.
Bill

good point , as I converted to front disk brakes and changed my wheels
as the steel wheels did not fit over calipers.
so my spare would be on a steel wheel, and I would have a nice little
dance to perform if i get a flat in front tire.
I like the way that dynaplug system works .
thanks for all the tips.
rgds
Peter....myred63

mike coletta 04-24-2013 04:08 PM

No jack, no spare

I carry a AAA plus card, and a can of fix-a-flat. I've used both a couple of times over the past 20 or so years.

Mike Coletta

mark6669 04-24-2013 05:46 PM

Triple A Plus has worked for me for over 20 years. no spare, no jack,
Mark

myred63 04-24-2013 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by mark6669 (Post 1583727813)
Triple A Plus has worked for me for over 20 years. no spare, no jack,
Mark

With my Hagerty Ins i have roadside assistance and towing.
anyone think that it would be a mistake to use this instead of
AAA?
Don't know if this would add up to a type claim against your record.
Peter

mark6669 04-24-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by myred63 (Post 1583727906)
With my Hagerty Ins i have roadside assistance and towing.
anyone think that it would be a mistake to use this instead of
AAA?
Don't know if this would add up to a type claim against your record.
Peter

Hagerty will only tow a short distance for free AAA plus gives you up to 4 100 mile tows a year.
Mark

Sky65 04-24-2013 08:47 PM

No spare. AAA, tire plug kit, 12v compressor, cell phone. I recently installed a spare tire carrier. I use it to carry an aluminum ammo box with tools and spare parts for long distance driving.

Tom

63redvette 04-27-2013 06:37 PM

I dont have run flats, but my friends that do have them do not like the way they run when flat (imagine that) nor do they like the high price to replace them. I go with a jack and a spare and a can of Fix-a-Flat.

JohnZ 04-27-2013 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by myred63 (Post 1583723643)
Does anyone use run Flats?

Run-flat tires aren't made in any size that's even remotely close to anything that will fit on a midyear. :thumbs:

C-1 Generation 2 04-27-2013 09:06 PM

In the 62 I carry a bias belted tire on a steel rim but should measure the hight to see if it could be used with the wheels on the rear and clear the disc brakes on the front and a toyota jack I bought at a garage sale.
On the wife Z28 I carry an inflatable factory spare that's 34 year old but not the inflator and factorty jack and fix a flat,plus afriends number that has a roll back.
But after reading about the dynaplug I might just take the spare out and get a dynaplug and small compressor and use the tire well for other purposes like a cooler.:thumbs:

FastEddy 04-27-2013 11:22 PM

I removed the spare tire, and the whole tire carrier setup, from my car when I added the sidepipes, which was about a month after purchasing the car. I have put over 100,000 miles on the car since then (Dec 1998), and have never had, nor needed, a spare tire. The last time I used a spare tire on any car was the in late 80's. Carry a plug kit instead... they fit nicely in the glove box.

Now, with my Jamison frame and headers going over top of the frame, my battery is now where the spare tire used to be.