CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   So it's not numbers matching, do I keep original parts? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3259190-so-its-not-numbers-matching-do-i-keep-original-parts.html)

r75vet 04-24-2013 09:17 AM

So it's not numbers matching, do I keep original parts?

I am the proud new owner of a 75. I plan to drive it and am not planning making it a show car or a pure original. I pulled the engine yesterday to update the cam and heads. It was fun because I didn't know what I would find. So here it is, the block had been decked and bored, cam replaced. I can't read the vin numbers anymore. The cast on the block and head numbers are "correct." The new cam was a blueprint by crane of an l48. I thought I had ruled out original block because it was painted blue until I found orange under the blue paint. Block cast date is actually May 25 1971.

So this was all fun figuring out but the question is, should I keep the heads, cam, and other parts I am removing or is this car eternally an outcast in the collector world and I should get them out of my garage?

joewill 04-24-2013 09:20 AM

I have all my old parts in a 2 big plastic tubs... will always help when it comes time to sell..

Alan 71 04-24-2013 09:36 AM

Hi r75,
I agree, if you have the room to store the parts you should keep them.
They just might be of interest to one of the future owners of your car.
The fact that the pad surface has been 'decked' doesn't mean the engine isn't, or might not be, original to your car, and that's a good thing even though you're doing some modifications.
Regards,
Alan

r75vet 04-24-2013 09:40 AM

Thanks guys, if there is a hint of value I will just keep them. Does the fact it was cast in 71 rule it out as a original to 75?

bashcraft 04-24-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by r75vet (Post 1583723550)
Thanks guys, if there is a hint of value I will just keep them. Does the fact it was cast in 71 rule it out as a original to 75?

Yup!

Dump the parts, they're worthless.

dochorsepower 04-24-2013 03:27 PM

Definitely dump the heads. If they are the original 882 castings, those are probably the worst performing heads that GM made.

Shark Racer 04-24-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by dochorsepower (Post 1583726581)
Definitely dump the heads. If they are the original 882 castings, those are probably the worst performing heads that GM made.

Worse than the 462624s?

I agree though... they're best used as paper weights or self-defense implements, if you're strong enough to wield them.

qwank 04-24-2013 04:56 PM

a '75 with an L48? I'd throw the parts away or sell them numbers or no numbers

r75vet 04-25-2013 01:01 AM

Well, I have lots of time to decide. Right now I'm focused on getting it all back together! It's been nice weather all week and I wish I was driving instead of scrubbing, degreasing, painting, and banging my knuckles, in between working of course. Good thing I started with a budget or it might not have been back together for six months. While its apart I might as well...........and......and.....

Commodore 04-26-2013 09:25 AM

If you've got the space, hang on to them. Even ordinary stuff over time can find a customer in need. I had a Rochester fuel injection system (cam, distributor all of it) that I'd bought to stick on a project car I was playing with back in the mid 1960's. Never got around to installing it and eventually sold the entire package for a few hundred bucks. Perhaps I was a bit early as perfect ones now fetch as much as $10,000 to $11,000. While L48 goodies will never replace a good investment portfolio or appreciate like those old fuel injection system have - one never knows :ack:.
RB

keithinspace 04-26-2013 10:19 AM

The thing is, nobody is making old parts anymore. I'm keeping all my old stuff.

I have my old Camel Hump heads, my old TI system, even my old GM plastic tooth timing chain. Heck, I am even keeping my 'pink' forged LT-1 rods. I'm making a 'parts shrine' in my son's room and having it be a thing he can look at and ask questions. Not many kids get to touch this type of stuff.

I recently purchased a new set of sidepipe headers to replace the warped/rusted set that came on the car. This summer, I'm going to clean the old ones up enough to mount to his bed or something.

My wife will HATE it...it'll be awesome.

spot99 04-26-2013 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by keithinspace (Post 1583741622)
The thing is, nobody is making old parts anymore. I'm keeping all my old stuff ............ This summer, I'm going to clean the old ones up enough to mount to his bed or something.

My wife will HATE it...it'll be awesome.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Best response ever!!!!