CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   How many times do people flash the brights at you at night? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3258787-how-many-times-do-people-flash-the-brights-at-you-at-night.html)

Nosferatu 04-23-2013 03:30 PM

How many times do people flash the brights at you at night?

As the thread states...I never realized how freaking high and bright these HIDs are until now. I've only owned the car a week but so many people are flashing me thinking I'm running high beams. I just do a nice flick of the high beams to show them what the real high beams are like and they usually stop flashing. :lol:

Anyways, I'm coming from an Audi with HIDs that were pretty damn bright but for a car sitting so low I'm surprised it causes an issue with other motorists.

I hit the door unlock on the key fob walking to my car last night and I finally saw first hand why people are pissed when I'm driving towards them. I did buy the car used so unless the original owner did something to the stock lights they are ridiculously bright and aimed rather high. I can show a photo later when it gets darker out. Oh well, it's my way of a sports car getting even with all the soccer mom's and their oversized SUVs. :thumbs:

eboggs_jkvl 04-23-2013 03:37 PM

If your lights are aimed correctly, you shouldn't be getting flashes to dim. They are easy to adjust. I usually set them to horizontal and mainly right angled on a level road.

When I got the SC on the car, the damn things went down and blinded the ants. I put coil-overs on the car to get it back up and got flashed constantly. I had to aim the HIDs correctly to be at peace with the world.

Elmer

AORoads 04-23-2013 03:40 PM

one of those people flashing may have bad reflexes and worse eyes. I'd get the level right, and soon, or you may be meeting one of those "flashers" in a way that will take your lights out. just saying to be careful because it's not like you're doing it to yourself----it's the person coming the other way.

Nosferatu 04-23-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl (Post 1583717721)
If your lights are aimed correctly, you shouldn't be getting flashes to dim. They are easy to adjust. I usually set them to horizontal and mainly right angled on a level road.

When I got the SC on the car, the damn things went down and blinded the ants. I put coil-overs on the car to get it back up and got flashed constantly. I had to aim the HIDs correctly to be at peace with the world.

Elmer

care to elaborate on how to adjust? I'll go outside and do it now. Car is in a garage so I can just aim it at the wall or something.

LS WON 04-23-2013 03:57 PM

Never had this problem.

AviBen 04-23-2013 03:59 PM

A corollary to your issue is that, because the Vette rides so low, we see oncoming low-beam headlights brighter than in a normal-height car.

42Chevy 04-23-2013 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by LS WON (Post 1583717903)
Never had this problem.

:iagree:

Gearhead Jim 04-23-2013 04:36 PM

When we first got our 2006 and the HID lights were not common; people would occasionally flash us, thinking that anything so bright had to be high beams. After a while on the 2006, and after trading for the 2009, very few flashes.

I wonder if someone had previously adjusted the OP's lights upward, or adjusted the suspension so the front is angled upward a bit.

HolyRoller 04-23-2013 04:55 PM

I only get this when my fog lights are on too, and very rarely. I acknowledge with a flash of brights, and they sheepishly return to low beams. If I think somebody's brights are on, I usually do nothing, just look to the right side until they pass. This cuts off road rage before it starts.

Sometimes on wavy roads, oncoming traffic headlights may bob up and down enough to give the momentary optical delusion of brights. I finally noticed this after only about 30 years of driving.

dvilin 04-23-2013 04:59 PM

Has not happened as of yet, (5 years).

michaelinmech 04-23-2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl (Post 1583717721)

Elmer

A. :iagree: I would look at their adjustment first - could be aimed high.

B. The offended, now blind, ants have contracted with their Bullet Ant counterparts, to pay a little revenge visit to your sleeping bag :eek:

C. Ain't it grand to be at peace with the world :thumbs:

ButchN 04-23-2013 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by HolyRoller (Post 1583718406)
I only get this when my fog lights are on too

Fogs aim lower that headlamps &, peopel flashing when they see fogs on are numb as even most "uneducated with cars" people know fogs mean low beams.

Nosferatu 04-23-2013 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by butchn (Post 1583718483)
Fogs aim lower that headlamps &, peopel flashing when they see fogs on are numb as even most "uneducated with cars" people know fogs mean low beams.

except a VAG-COM on my old Audi allowed me to keep high beams on with fogs (illegal I know lol)

Anyways quick google search I found the adjustment it's 6mm allen wrench under the hood. I'll play with it later when it gets dark outside.

spicytuna 04-23-2013 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by AviBen (Post 1583717912)
A corollary to your issue is that, because the Vette rides so low, we see oncoming low-beam headlights brighter than in a normal-height car.

So true!!!

Any SUV or pickup coming my way looks like it has its high beams on.

Gering 04-23-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1583718250)
When we first got our 2006 and the HID lights were not common; people would occasionally flash us, thinking that anything so bright had to be high beams. After a while on the 2006, and after trading for the 2009, very few flashes.

I wonder if someone had previously adjusted the OP's lights upward, or adjusted the suspension so the front is angled upward a bit.

:iagree:

Use to happen to me when I first bought my 07.

LIE2ME 04-23-2013 05:39 PM

I have never been "flashed" by oncoming drivers when my headlights are on. However, let me turn on the fog lights and I get flashed like CRAZY! I took the car back to the dealer to have the fog lights adjusted and "surprise, surprise", I am told the fog lights are NON-ADJUSTABLE...:willy:

southpaw5000 04-23-2013 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silverblue (Post 1583718772)
I have never been "flashed" by oncoming drivers when my headlights are on. However, let me turn on the fog lights and I get flashed like CRAZY! I took the car back to the dealer to have the fog lights adjusted and "surprise, surprise", I am told the fog lights are NON-ADJUSTABLE...:willy:

I have a 2005 and adjusted my fogs. There is a small hole bekow the light in tha valence. You need a long T-10 torx to adjust if i remember correctly.

gwalsh88 04-23-2013 06:31 PM

Back in 2005 when I got my coupe these lights were rare and I used to have some folks think my brights were on.

not so much in recent years...

FAUEE 04-23-2013 06:43 PM

Most of the people flashing you for OEM HIDs are actually drunk. Alcohol increases your sensitivity to light, so if you're getting flashed by people in a larger vehicle than you because of your HIDs... its probably alcohol related.

su8pack1 04-23-2013 07:20 PM

Maybe once every other year. :crazy: