CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Different Perspective on Auto vs Manual (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/3255090-different-perspective-on-auto-vs-manual.html)

Bout' Time 04-17-2013 10:24 AM

Different Perspective on Auto vs Manual

Please, do not post the icon of beating a dead horse. Read the entire post. Yes, I struggled with the decision, then bought an automatic. I am, and have been a HUGE fan of the C4. I bought a 1995 automatic with under 25,000 miles. I have already had some great moments with the car, but I have to share one of the best. My wife had to drop my daughter off at a friends house. I said, "take the vette" (I still love saying that!). She at first did not want to (nervous/something new and different)- I (now we) have only had it for a couple of weeks, and with the poor weather, we have not driven it much. She finally said yes, and drove the car. When she dropped off my daughter, my wife's friend was outside and was standing there in awe that a fellow mom was dropping off a kid without the the typical mini-van. Both moms went for a drive and just had a great time. If it was a manual, my wife would not have driven it. Anyway, now we fight over who is going to run the quick errands because we are looking for reasons to get behind the wheel of our new toy.

lt4obsesses 04-17-2013 10:27 AM

Now that you've found "her" car, I guess it's time for you to start searching for "your" car.:lol:

RollaMo-LT4 04-17-2013 10:32 AM

My wife will drive "ours" from time to time, and it is a manual.
So, they can drive them. :D

USAF 04-17-2013 10:40 AM

I never understood why it's assumed women don't drive stick.

I've driven stick most of my life.
Now I'm using a slush box and it's fine.

My wife drives anything with wheels

USAF

Sweet 90 04-17-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1583661053)
Now that you've found "her" car, I guess it's time for you to start searching for "your" car.:lol:

:iagree::lol:

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4 (Post 1583661111)
My wife will drive "ours" from time to time, and it is a manual.
So, they can drive them. :D

Mine is "Ours" and Hers is "Hers" ...............How come?:D

96 Vette CE 04-17-2013 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by USAF (Post 1583661192)
I never understood why it's assumed women don't drive stick.

I've driven stick most of my life.
Now I'm using a slush box and it's fine.

My wife drives anything with wheels

USAF

:iagree: My wife can drive a stick just as well as an auto. As a matter of fact, we have been throwing around the idea of possibly switching vettes to something with a six speed, although it would have to be something special as I am pretty attached to the CE.

shakedown067 04-17-2013 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet 90 (Post 1583661398)

Because "Happy Wife...Happy Life" :cool:

RollaMo-LT4 04-17-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet 90 (Post 1583661398)
:iagree::lol:

As long as she has a job and making money the same as I am, I don't argue. :D

The only thing that does not have her name on the title is the Harley.
She wasn't with me when I bought it, and she can't drive that by herself anyway. :rofl:

Slow_Lane 04-17-2013 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bout' Time (Post 1583661020)
Please, do not post the icon of beating a dead horse.

This one: :beatdeadhorse:

:hide:

Sweet 90 04-17-2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4 (Post 1583661604)
As long as she has a job and making money the same as I am, I don't argue. :D

The only thing that does not have her name on the title is the Harley.
She wasn't with me when I bought it, and she can't drive that by herself anyway. :rofl:

Doesn't matter Greg, she gets half or better anyways:D

LoneStarV 04-17-2013 11:40 AM

Always been partial to an auto myself even when i was younger. Lazy i guess. I just like to cruise and just don't feel like messing with a stick.

RollaMo-LT4 04-17-2013 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sweet 90 (Post 1583661774)
Doesn't matter Greg, she gets half or better anyways:D

True, but I get more "toys" as long as she keeps working.
Even if she does own half of them. :D

Cygnus 04-17-2013 11:56 AM

I fractured 2 bones in my left knee on Mar 26th and forced to wear a brace for a while. If I owned a stick, I wouldn't be able to drive right now. I have a hard enough time getting in and out of the vette with the brace (which is why a cast isn't on my leg).

City commuting keeps me from owning a manual these days. The hills of San Francisco are not all that fun when you have to drive them all the time.

mtwoolford 04-17-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bout' Time (Post 1583661020)
If it was a manual, my wife would not have driven it. .

You say this like it's a bad thing ?

Actually my wife drives three of our vehicles with manual transmissions, including the vette, like she stole them. How does that woman keep her license ?? :willy:

Paul Workman 04-17-2013 12:12 PM

I think the OP is saying that there might be a "net" benefit by compromising one's first choice. I can tell you that making decisions to spend money on the Vette is a lot less difficult when you share the same passions! If buying an automatic instead of the stick and overall enjoyment is greater than not compormising...well...GO FOR IT! After all...If mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

laurieb 04-17-2013 12:25 PM

Sounds like you two are having a lot of fun! Hope you get to drive it some now that your wife has gotten comfy with it. :lol:

We've only had ours for a few weeks, as well, and we're enjoying thoroughly. It is also an automatic. I've driven manuals pretty much my whole life, as I prefer them, and wasn't sure I'd want an automatic, but I kept an open mind when we were looking. However, it's such a fun car to drive, that I'm perfectly fine with it not being a manual.

383vett 04-17-2013 12:31 PM

It doesn't matter what the car is, she owns you and you know it!

John A. Marker 04-17-2013 12:35 PM

Enjoy the car automatic or manual. My 85 was a automatic and I loved it. The 95 is a manual and I love it too. I think there are advantages for both transmissions.

If you want to add a little kick to what you have, have the transmission shop pull the old converter and install one with a higher stall point. When you put your foot into it the higher stall will get you into your RPM band sooner and you will fly. But as a daily driver you will not notice any difference and the wife is still happy. :D

dukeallen 04-17-2013 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Slow_Lane (Post 1583661728)
This one: :beatdeadhorse:

:hide:

Naw, this one
http://www.oocities.org/torisstarburst/deadhorse.gif

JT-Monster- 04-17-2013 02:10 PM

personaly no point in getting a sports car that is Automatic. downshiffting before a turn and engine braking ect its just an amazing feeling it adds to the overall experiance. thats just me

I do see all of the conveniant situations where an automatic would be nice.