CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   CD players (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3233699-cd-players.html)

pete-paz 03-12-2013 04:40 PM

CD players

i have a 2001 C5 came with cassette player but i would like to upgrade and get a CD player any suggestions?
am i better off getting a cd changer for the trunk?

Phanni 03-12-2013 05:14 PM

Unless you have the wiring harness going into the trunk it takes more than just getting a unit and putting it in. Swapping out the radio with a CD player in it is the easiest change. You'd have to remove part of the console (no big deal) and unplug the old radio and simply replace it with a unit with the player installed. The trunk mounted player helps to keep the CDs better organized and selectable. You also might want to consider getting an Ipod adapter...

pete-paz 03-12-2013 05:30 PM

i would be ok with replacing the orig radio with a cd player (actuall would rather that i only need to have one cd at a time) i just didn't know what was easier as far as installation
thanks for the info

Phanni 03-13-2013 12:47 AM

Sounds like the radio is the way for you to go.
We're here to help.

Aerovette 03-13-2013 01:26 AM

My truck has the exact radio my Corvette has in it. I swapped the truck cassette player for a factory CD and If it took 5 minutes, it's because I took my time. The console removal will be the biggest part and that's not bad either.

Mew2 03-13-2013 04:36 AM

Is this recommended over getting a new head unit? I was thinking of going the Double D Mod way but it's kinda steep T_T

whitesmokels1 03-13-2013 09:17 AM

Double Din!

Mr.Bill 03-13-2013 09:28 AM

In my opinion the best way to go is get an ipod, You can have 1000s of songs at a touch of a button and not have cd's all over the car, I would contact Dennis at DoubleDMods.com a forum vendor and he can explain your options to you.

pete-paz 03-13-2013 10:24 AM

i think i am just going to go with the new cd/radio.
is there any reason i would want to stay stock?
is there any electrical that runs through the radio that controls any other components on the car that i should know about?

dadaroo 03-13-2013 11:43 AM

I have a 2001 Cassette radio also with the CD unit in the trunk. I am replacing with a CD radio and iPOD adapter. Can't use the trunk CD unit with this but that is ok. Why I like having the CD radio is that it allows one to play a CD someone might bring, or play a CD I have not downloaded. Being a jukebox collector I have tons of CDs so I figured why pay to get songs I already have. If you are money concerned, go with the iPod interface. Double D is the way to go with the iPod interface. You can always get a CD radio later if you want one.

Aerovette 03-13-2013 12:46 PM

I would consider losing my 12 disc player for MP3 capability IF and ONLY IF, the volume crap was not an issue.

pete-paz 03-13-2013 01:34 PM

money is not the problem. i have been saving my allowance...haha
just wans't sure what would be better/easier
thanks for all the input

Aerovette 03-13-2013 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by pete-paz (Post 1583353573)
money is not the problem. i have been saving my allowance...haha
just wans't sure what would be better/easier
thanks for all the input

Better <<<< miles >>>>>>> easier. :D

Installing a GM CD unit is far easier. Plug and play. Not really better though.

Phanni 03-13-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by pete-paz (Post 1583351913)
is there any electrical that runs through the radio that controls any other components on the car that i should know about?

The stock unit is the way to go unless you're a real audio nut. It is an easy swap, the units are not hard to find for around $100 or less, the swap will take you an hour or less.

If you want to go big time get a DD with GPS etc. I have a DD in my daily driver 2001 and I love it, however it is a bit pricey, not real easy to swap and will need a rebuilt console. IK love mine, but they ain't for everyone. Expect a half day to a full day for the swap to DD.

MG RED 99 03-13-2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by pete-paz (Post 1583351913)

Unless you plan to do an entire audio swap including speakers head unit and amps, just stay with the factory cd player. The bose system isn't a simple swap when it comes to headunits. If you do decide to go with an aftermarket unit, go to a double din unit and talk to dennis at Double D Mods.

leadfoot4 03-13-2013 06:59 PM

I've considered doing an OE CD swap on my '01 also, as I just wasn't into CDs when I ordered the car, so I just went with the "standard" set-up. What's a good source for a GOOD FUNCTIONING Delco unit??

Mr.Bill 03-13-2013 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 (Post 1583356527)
I've considered doing an OE CD swap on my '01 also, as I just wasn't into CDs when I ordered the car, so I just went with the "standard" set-up. What's a good source for a GOOD FUNCTIONING Delco unit??

The for sale section, I see them all the time.

Cosmic Charlie 03-13-2013 07:49 PM

As most everyone here knows

If you have the front cassette & trunk CD 12 player there's a patch cable from the trunk unit back to the cockpit that will allow you to plug in a 3.5 mm in line so you can play a Iphone or Ipod or Garmin mp3 player or whatever back thru the Bose ... BUT it has to plug into the TRUNK CD player -easy plug & play

BUT if you have the front CD player there is NO easy plug IN for the patch cable 3.5 mm in, for the same purpose

this is one of many patch cables ... for adapting trunk CD players only

http://www.amazon.com/1997-2004-Corv.../dp/B004CONVPG

$$$frumnuttin' 03-13-2013 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by dadaroo (Post 1583352588)
I have a 2001 Cassette radio also with the CD unit in the trunk. I am replacing with a CD radio and iPOD adapter. Can't use the trunk CD unit with this but that is ok. Why I like having the CD radio is that it allows one to play a CD someone might bring, or play a CD I have not downloaded. Being a jukebox collector I have tons of CDs so I figured why pay to get songs I already have. If you are money concerned, go with the iPod interface. Double D is the way to go with the iPod interface. You can always get a CD radio later if you want one.

Same here, well just one, a Seeburg KD200 from the fifties. Back on point, there are tons of great songs that have never made it to digital form and never will commercially, for example, rare doowop stuff from the beginnings of R&B/R&R etc. I use an analog to digital converter to put tunes from my JB onto CDs....that's as far as I want to go to digitize...I find all other up and down loading a pain in the ass!:crazy:

Aerovette 03-14-2013 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 (Post 1583356527)

I bought mine on the famous auction site for 65 bucks.