CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Marvel Mystery Oil - Or Techron? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3229526-marvel-mystery-oil-or-techron.html)

Robert1Stock 03-05-2013 02:23 PM

Marvel Mystery Oil - Or Techron?

Hi Guys,

Looking for some of your help here. Growing up on a farm I found Marvel Mystery Oil would clean up injectors and other components real nicely. I'm sure your already thinking it, there is a far cry between farm vehicles and a corvette. So that being said would it be unwise to use MMO on my Vette? If so is Techron my go to substance?

Thanks!

Mr.Bill 03-05-2013 02:36 PM

Only Techron here.

andrec10 03-05-2013 02:54 PM

MMO is for the Crankcase only I believe! My dad used to swear by that stuff!

calvins 03-05-2013 03:13 PM

I had a Merc. Grand Marquis with high mileage (around 100k I think) and it was running ok. A guy I worked with said to put MMO into the crank and it would loosen everything up and the car'd run great. Better gas mileage, etc...

Being young and stupid (gullible) I did.

Shortly after that the noises began and shortly after that the motor seized solid.

Not saying it's a bad product, just my experience with it. Personally, after that, I won't touch the stuff.

Dave68 03-05-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by calvins (Post 1583285287)
I had a Merc. Grand Marquis with high mileage (around 100k I think) and it was running ok. A guy I worked with said to put MMO into the crank and it would loosen everything up and the car'd run great. Better gas mileage, etc...

Being young and stupid (gullible) I did.

Shortly after that the noises began and shortly after that the motor seized solid.

Not saying it's a bad product, just my experience with it. Personally, after that, I won't touch the stuff.

It's highly unlikely that the MMO destroyed that engine. I used to use it for years in my 68's crankcase and never had a problem.

It is certainly not needed today, especially with synthetic oils, but Techron in the gas tank is a good idea.

Robert1Stock 03-05-2013 04:05 PM

I have used MMO for quite a while. I always add it in to fuel/oil/trans and drive for about 50-100 miles then flush all but the petro and it has worked wonders.

What I am more trying to find out I guess is which one actually cleans better. I dont want to run a full tank of either through the car but let it drop to E and maybe put a quarter tank in mixed (since I am a firm believer mixing has to be done in barrels/containers).

Appreciate all the responses thus far! :cheers:

VETJAZZ 03-05-2013 04:05 PM

Techron is all I use.

CalF 03-05-2013 04:17 PM

If i recall MMO is a solvent and it does have its use around the garage,but i would not use it in my Vette.Techron is the way to go.

Robert1Stock 03-05-2013 04:18 PM

Seems like the decision is Techron, I have some anyways so its not a problem. Thanks all for your help :thumbs:

racebum 03-05-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by CalF (Post 1583285821)
If i recall MMO is a solvent and it does have its use around the garage,but i would not use it in my Vette.Techron is the way to go.

it is

lucas fuel injector cleaner is another one. mmo and lucas i use in high mileage vehicles that require a more aggressive cleaner'

for a c6 i'm with the majority that say techron

when your c6 hits 200k it may be worth a tank of a more aggressive cleaner if not pulling all injectors to have them flowed and ultrasonically cleaned

fishbust 03-05-2013 06:43 PM

Seafoam, directly from the boating world. I use it for all my engines.

jrose7004 03-05-2013 07:59 PM

Techron for me or Lucas.

coia96vette 03-05-2013 09:22 PM

Only Techron here also.

olbear1962 03-05-2013 09:38 PM

Techron in the tank and all is good!

Vetteman Jack 03-06-2013 12:47 AM

I only use Techron in mine too.

sobregonso 03-06-2013 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by fishbust (Post 1583287182)
Seafoam, directly from the boating world. I use it for all my engines.

+1

I've used it for years, in every one of my vehicles, motorcycles, and small engines- crankcase, fuel tank, and throttle body. It may be all in my mind, but I do believe it is a great 'pick me up', plus helps w/ that crap ethanol 'they ' put in the gas now

DeeGee 03-06-2013 02:20 AM

I've never been able to verify it but, apparently, the Techron formulation is good for cleaning sulfur deposits and sulfur build up is why we have trouble with our particular fuel senders.

Never heard of MMO I'm afraid.

mikes1hog 03-06-2013 02:46 AM

Here we have another case of young vs old. Marvel Mystery Oil has been around forever. Those of us over 60 know Marvel Mystery Oil. Under 60, not so much. It can be used with fuel or in the oil dependent on the mixture. Does it work? Honestly, I have no idea. Does Techron work or any of the other additives/snake oils? Honestly, I have no idea. Do any of them hurt the engine? No. My cars, trucks, motorcycles, lawn equipment, etc all get a dose of MMO, fuel stabilizer, ethanol "fixer," and Lucas fuel injector cleaner; they are all still running well--therefore, all the "stuff" works...right? Honestly, I have no idea, but it makes me think I'm doing something good.:rofl:

99 vett babycar 03-06-2013 05:58 AM

From everything I've read on this forum, the problem that Techron is used for is to remove a build up of sulfur(?) from the contacts of the fuel gage sending unit in the gas tanks.I don’t think we use it to clean injectors (which it may very well do ) but to maintain the accuracy of the fuel gauge readout.Anyway, that's what I use it for and having had the "0" fuel read out, I know Techron works to cure it.
That being said I know several old timers that swear by MMO and have used it for years for everything, possibly even as underarm deodorant.:cheers:

mikes1hog 03-06-2013 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 99 vett babycar (Post 1583290628)
That being said I know several old timers that swear by MMO and have used it for years for everything, possibly even as underarm deodorant.:cheers:

The problem using it as deodorant is that it leaves big red stains on the pits of your T-Shirt.:lol: