CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3224566-my-drone-noise-can-not-be-filtered-by-using-sound-damping-materials.html)

Reggied 02-25-2013 02:50 PM

MY Drone noise can not be filtered by using sound damping materials

This weekend I drove from GA. to IL.
Newly purchased 2005 Corvette "Road Trip".
My improvements before trip
Peel & Seal, 3 layers in rear cabin, 1 layer on both wheel wells, and 1 layer behind both seat.
The rear cabin was loaded with 2 soft-shell-suitcases, and 3 thick winter coats. The Peel & Seal plus the suitcases and coats should be more than needed to damped my exhaust drove noise problems.

I used a Bruel & Kjaer Hand-held Analyzer Type 2250 (This device is used to measure sound levels at different frequencies in db)
At cruising speed of 70 to 80 mph I measured the following.

40Hz at 102db
125hz at 102db

40hz and 125hz are low frequencies. 96db in low freq in very loud.
I am getting readings of these freqs at 102db. THis is not GOOD to the body.

Frequencies this low can only be filtered by using a large solid mass that will not resonate.
Most filter materials used will only help with the higher frequencies and road noise. My corvette is like a giant sub-woofer mounted on rubber tires. Everything in the car is resonating at these freqs. Plus the shape of the rear window amplifies the effects
Some components of low freq can not be heard by the human ear but can still cause some damage to your ears if exposed too long. My car caused my "ear to jaw" to hurt after 6 hours of driving...I am only 49 year of age.

The exhaust system in my car is "engine to cats to resonators to straight pipe". TOO LOUD.

Solution for me....Going back to OEM.:hide:

MikeyTX 02-25-2013 02:54 PM

Find a used NPP and retro fit it. Install the mild to wild kit and you're good to go.

Homer3D 02-25-2013 02:55 PM

Sounds like you need to back to stock or at very least get an actual muffler instead of straight pipe.

ZR1Cat 02-25-2013 03:08 PM

45 years of modifiying each of my car's exhausts ended with the purchase of my 2012 ZR1 with NPP. I love the 'loud-when-you-want-it' feature with the M2W addition. I am too old to want to live with a drone on a trip. No more experimenting and messing with aftermarket exhausts for me. (famous last words :lol: )

DUMAN 02-25-2013 03:13 PM

hum I am amazed they your car is loud with all those... oh wait there are no mufflers. Never mind you car should be loud very loud with no mufflers. Haha try route 66 from B & B

Gearhead Jim 02-25-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyTX (Post 1583215701)
Find a used NPP and retro fit it. Install the mild to wild kit and you're good to go.

:iagree:

To the OP-
Thanks for the data, instead of just saying "It's too loud".

carpe dm 02-25-2013 04:36 PM

:iagree: Thios would be great, if you can find one. If not OEM would be better than irratating noise! :thumbs:

NCorvette 02-25-2013 04:43 PM

Straight pipes are for children who love ample noise, not quality noise.
Get a good exhaust system, first. After you buy the exhaust, then measure the frequencies and use a 1/4 wave resonator tube to get rid of drone

Dif 02-25-2013 04:45 PM

:iagree:x 3 and it should sound good with OP's setup :yesnod:

not08crmanymore 02-25-2013 04:51 PM

I have tinnitus so I can't hear squat anyway!! :D My car has NPP.It's ok,I guess. I like BASSANI better but what the hell.

4SUMERZ 02-25-2013 04:52 PM

We do alot of road trips as well, so I was and am leery about aftermarket exhaust noise. I really don't want a long distance drive ruined by a high decible overbearing racket.
I stuck with OEM, and did the 3/4" hole muffler modification. It's a bit louder, but not enough to ruin a long distance road trip.
Even before I did the muffler mod, I was prepared to buy new OEM Mufflers if it made it too loud.

Now if my car was only for weekends and short trips, then I might think about louder sounding mufflers.

Good luck :cheers:

Reggied 02-25-2013 04:58 PM

Check out my new post to address the muffler change...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-bad-idea.html

Reggied 02-25-2013 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR (Post 1583216649)
We do alot of road trips as well, so I was and am leery about aftermarket exhaust noise. I really don't want a long distance drive ruined by a high decible overbearing racket.
I stuck with OEM, and did the 3/4" hole muffler modification. It's a bit louder, but not enough to ruin a long distance road trip.
Even before I did the muffler mod, I was prepared to buy new OEM Mufflers if it made it too loud.

Now if my car was only for weekends and short trips, then I might think about louder sounding mufflers.

I need more detailed information about this 3/4 mod everyone is talking about

laconiajack 02-25-2013 09:16 PM

The drone noise you are hearing is entering through the transom and being amplified by the cone shaped reflective rear window of your coupe into the passenger compartment. I could tell you how to fix this, but you would still remain a nuisance by having an illegal exhaust system, which you now seek to exchange for yet another. :sadangel:

speedraider 02-25-2013 09:27 PM

I have long tubes without cats and B and B route 66 and it was loud. A month ago I install dynamat from the back of the seat to the rear bumper . Drone is cut back BIG TIME. I was almost gonna put back the stock muffler until I installed the Dynamat, IT WORKS.

speedraider 02-25-2013 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by laconiajack (Post 1583219207)
The drone noise you are hearing is entering through the transom and being amplified by the cone shaped reflective rear window of your coupe into the passenger compartment. I could tell you how to fix this, but you would still remain a nuisance by having an illegal exhaust system, which you now seek to exchange for yet another. :sadangel:

The drone is the rear tub vibrating

ProfessorDeath 02-25-2013 09:31 PM

I actually like the drone. Reminds me I'm driving a sports car. Then again mine is not my daily driver. My DD is very quiet. That being said, yeah a complete lack of mufflers woukd be pretty loud.

Reggied 02-25-2013 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR (Post 1583216649)

Can someone explain to me the "3/4 hole muffler modification..I need more details,:willy:

4SUMERZ 02-25-2013 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Reggied (Post 1583220288)
Can someone explain to me the "3/4 hole muffler modification..I need more details,:willy:

Here is the Thread. Pics at post #175.
I didn't drill the 1 1/2 hole as he did. I just drilled the 3/4" hole straight thru. I then used a 1/2 " electrical box plug to cover the hole, and had it welded after I knew that I was satisfied with the 3/4" hole.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ler-mod-9.html

Hope it helps. At the very least, it's good reading :thumbs:

Here is a pic of the holesaw and the plugs I used. The bag says 3/4 but I used 1/2 plugs.
A 3/4 " plug will fill a 1" hole.
[IMG]http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...pseefd5e5e.jpg[/IMG]

brooklync5 02-26-2013 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by laconiajack (Post 1583219207)

Wow jack your posts get more annoying daily. You are the nuisance. This guy just bought the car and is having trouble with it. if you would have read his first few post regarding this issue you would have seen he didn't even know what he was dealing with until we (forum members) informed him that he had no mufflers. You are really something else man. :ack: