CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Why manual trans. gets 7th gear, but not auto??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3218072-why-manual-trans-gets-7th-gear-but-not-auto.html)

Never-Enough 02-14-2013 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1583120578)
I read the same - nothing existing fits the architecture of the C7

They made a new Corvette. Make a new trans that works with it. Other makers have no problems offering 8 speed autos. Get with it, GM. Idiots.

BlueOx 02-14-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Never-Enough (Post 1583120785)
They made a new Corvette. Make a new trans that works with it. Other makers have no problems offering 8 speed autos. Get with it, GM. Idiots.

So what 8 spd auto that anyone is making are you driving now? How's that working for you?:D

rexracerx9 02-14-2013 12:28 PM

I seem to remember one of the car magazines discussing this. C7 engineers said there was no dual-disc paddle-shift transmission that could handle the 450 pounds of torque. The magazine writer said the Porsche PDK, designed jointly with ZF, could handle the torque but GM was not going to license parts from Porsche for the Corvette. Interestingly the Porsche 7 speed manual and Porsche PDK are almost the same transmission, many parts are the same. ZF designed it this way from the beginning to save production cost.

I think a new automatic will be introduced for a few reasons. Better EPA numbers, marketing, better performance via better hardware and advanced programing. Performance is my priority.

Automatic transmission computers are integrated into the advanced electronics in a modern car. This enables engineers to program shift patterns for economy and superior performance. The computer can sense what a car is doing via throttle opening, yaw sensors, traction control, abs, electronic differential, steering wheel angle sensors, brake pedal sensors, etc. Up-shifts, down-shifts, gear holding all are optimized. Though designs are different, auto-manual transmissions like the Porsche PDK and Mercedes AMG Speed-Shift MCT have advanced programing where the computer performs like a pro racer. The computer knows when to shift up / down, hold gears in turns, out of turns, under braking, etc. Shifts are faster.

We are not getting a PDK style, maybe one like the Benz? AMG Speed-Shift MCT is a traditional automatic design where the torque converter is replaced. This is a quote from Wikipedia: "Instead of a torque converter, it uses a compact wet startup clutch to launch the car from a stop, and also supports computer-controlled double de-clutching."

I'd be happy if GM has something that performs as well as the AMG Speed-Shift MCT. This is the transmission GM needs to benchmark if there is not a dual-disc option.

JoesC5 02-14-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1583120986)
So what 8 spd auto that anyone is making are you driving now? How's that working for you?:D

Maybe he drives a Chrysler. They offer cars with 8 speed automatic transmissions and you can buy a 300 for only $30,000.

But back to GM, from a GM press release...

"With Ohio Gov. John Kasich, U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur, D-Toledo, and Toledo Mayor Michael Bell in the audience, Akerson said GM will invest $204 million to retain about 250 jobs for an all-new, advanced 8-speed automatic transmission for future vehicles that offer customers improved fuel economy and outstanding performance."

BuckyThreadkiller 02-14-2013 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Never-Enough (Post 1583120785)

If ever there was an appropriate screen name - you've got it.

BlueOx 02-14-2013 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583121419)
Maybe he drives a Chrysler. They offer cars with 8 speed automatic transmissions and you can buy a 300 for only $30,000.

"With Ohio Gov. John Kasich, U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur, D-Toledo, and Toledo Mayor Michael Bell in the audience, Akerson said GM will invest $204 million to retain about 250 jobs for an all-new, advanced 8-speed automatic transmission for future vehicles that offer customers improved fuel economy and outstanding performance."

Maybe...he could answer for himself.:D

Yeah, GM is working on a variety of auto trannys including collaborating 9 (front wheel drive) and 10 (hi-po) spds with Ford.

JoesC5 02-14-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlueOx (Post 1583121444)
Maybe...he could answer for himself.:D

And that's a reply from a posting whore, that has made more posts in his 1 year of CF membership then I have in nearly 14 years.

If you posted based on direct question made to you, then your post count would be around a dozen.

BlueOx 02-14-2013 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583121473)
And that's a reply from a posting whore, that has made more posts in his 1 year of CF membership then I have in nearly 14 years.

If you posted based on direct question made to you, then your post count would be around a dozen.

Oh, I see...you decide to answer for someone else with an idiotic answer because I'm a post whore. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't answer questions put to other people.

darkmercury 02-14-2013 02:07 PM

The DCT in the current M3 is a blast to drive!!! That was the most enjoyable part of driving that M3, besides getting pulled over by chicks that wanted to talk. A DCT in the C7 would be insane!

Zymurgy 02-14-2013 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Never-Enough (Post 1583120194)
Net?

Yes, Net. Not only that, but 2012 was the third consecutive year that GM has been profitable.

"General Motors reported today a third consecutive year of profitability in 2012, with net earnings of $4.9 billion"

JoesC5 02-14-2013 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1583122030)
Yes, Net. Not only that, but 2012 was the third consecutive year that GM has been profitable.

"General Motors reported today a third consecutive year of profitability in 2012, with net earnings of $4.9 billion"

Was that before or after they paid back the taxpayer 100% of the money stole from them and handed over to GM.

sam90lx 02-14-2013 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1583118356)
Sooner or later they will have to upgrade the auto to 7 or 8 gears. He also said the they did not find a dual clutch that could handle the C7 torque, but i don't buy that because the 911 Turbo and the Ferrari Berniletta both have more torque the C7 and they used the dual clutch trans.

Agreed! Puulease Tadge!! This is GM, not Yugo.
Make it handle the ouput and make it fit! You can do it Buddy.

Raitzi 02-14-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1583121419)

Seems like very bad investment. 204M for a transmission. They could just send the C7 to ZF and Aisin and they have figured it out and sent the car back with a price tag for the transmission(or license). Of course if they got "free" government loan I understand the loose hand on the wallet.

JoesC5 02-14-2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Raitzi (Post 1583122412)
Seems like very bad investment. 204M for a transmission. They could just send the C7 to ZF and Aisin and they have figured it out and sent the car back with a price tag for the transmission(or license). Of course if they got "free" government loan I understand the loose hand on the wallet.

The transmissions will used across the GM line, not just the Corvette. No different from the A4 in the C5 and the A6 in the C6. maybe 7,000 a year used in the C7 but 500,000+ a year in RWD cars and pickup trucks and RWD SUV's. Of course another version of the 8 speed will be used for FWD vehicles.

ivanjo11 02-14-2013 03:54 PM

A C7 with a Dual Clutch tranny as quick as the one in the Ferrari 458 would be incredible.

eaglebusman 02-14-2013 04:30 PM

Before I ordered my 05 C6 there were rumors of a 6 speed auto being released for 2006. I was assured by my dealer (a forum member) that the A6 wouldn't be out for 2 or 3 years and I should buy the 2005 so I bought one.
Burned once, I'll wait for a year or so this time and see when the new trans shows up. There's NO WAY GM can compete on the world market with an old school A6, no matter what the PR about torque numbers are. I guess MB and RR motors don't make big torque numbers so they need the 8 speeds? Come on GM, get real.

HurricaneRN 02-14-2013 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ivanjo11 (Post 1583122827)
A C7 with a Dual Clutch tranny as quick as the one in the Ferrari 458 would be incredible.

60ms shifts = sweetness.
It's a getrag, so if it didn't cost 20% of what it costs GM to build the entire corvette they would probably use it.

One of the engineers did say that they have gotten the shifts of the A6 down to 200ms. Thats ferrari 575m and f430 speed (and alot cheaper).

JoesC5 02-14-2013 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by eaglebusman (Post 1583123109)
Before I ordered my 05 C6 there were rumors of a 6 speed auto being released for 2006. I was assured by my dealer (a forum member) that the A6 wouldn't be out for 2 or 3 years and I should buy the 2005 so I bought one.
Burned once, I'll wait for a year or so this time and see when the new trans shows up. There's NO WAY GM can compete on the world market with an old school A6, no matter what the PR about torque numbers are. I guess MB and RR motors don't make big torque numbers so they need the 8 speeds? Come on GM, get real.

Jag F-Type with 495 HP and 460 lbs-ft of torque with an 8 speed auto.

HurricaneRN 02-14-2013 05:00 PM

Not sure but did Tadge actually say 450, or was the statement a generic "would not handle the torque"? Cause any C7 tranny is gonna have to handle alot more torque than 450 in the hipo models.
Maybe they are thinking 600-800lb/ft not 450.

putterf 02-14-2013 09:12 PM

I prefer manuals but since I'll use the C7 as a GT I'm delighted it has 7 speeds.